Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #401
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Amen MFF...Amen. I'm beginning to hope that Nellie will hang it up this offseason. He just doesn't have the intelligence to win versus good teams. Here's hoping little whistle and his conventional lineups/desire become a staple starting next year.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:41 PM   #402
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It certainly wouldn't have hurt to throw him out there for a minute or two to see if he could do anything against Duncan or Robinson.

Agreed. If only for the fouls.[

As for Wang...he played very well when he was in there. It is inexcusable for him to have not come into the game when Raef fouled out. Stupid call by Nellie.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #403
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I disagree Doc. I think Dirk and Buckner showed some nice intensity early on. Other than that though, you sir are correct.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #404
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< DTL- whereas I agree that Nellie called a shitty game, the players had absolutely NO emotion until late in the game. Champioship teams have to play the entire game with effort. The Mavs looked like shit at times and that falls on the players. >>

Agreed.

And just to follow up on the earlier post: Why, why, why was NVE put in for Raef instead of Wang? I cannot think of *any* rational explanation. Was Nellie thinking that it's about time for NVE's shots to fall, since he's missed like ten in a row? Urgh.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:45 PM   #405
DTL
Diamond Member

<< Here's hoping little whistle and his conventional lineups/desire become a staple starting next year. >>

And Bradley seems to play better for Donnie, too. He was sort of returning back to life during those games when Nellie was off to be with his wife.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:45 PM   #406
Drbio
Banned

ocelot- I'll give you Dirk...he played hard for about a half+. Buck for about a quarter. Everyone else...ARGH!

Nellie needs to play with Wang. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 11:46 PM   #407
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

On a side note:

I think Dirk did a pretty decent job on Duncan tonight. Granted, decent on Duncan means holding him to below 50. But, atleast Duncan didn't dunk all over our heads like he usually does. Maybe Duncan and Dirk will become one of those classic NBA matchups, ala Wilt and Russell.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:46 PM   #408
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

And another examnple of how our defense looks worse on paper then it really is. **If ** Nellie plays the right players then our D can be really good.... but too many times he makes us go small... and forced to double... which causes easy looks.... and then we can't get the rebound because we are small, and out of position... rinse... repeat.

If I was DonN Nelson I'd get the tape out... make my dad watch it with me and point out every single flaw in the small ball lineup. Becxause Nellie definitely can't see it.

Want to know why Nellie has never won the &quot;big&quot; game? Because he never sticks with a lineup. Because he'd rather go small than big. Because he'd rather outshoot than outdefend.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:47 PM   #409
DTL
Diamond Member

Ooh, we missed nine of our ten first shots in the game? Didn't know that. That must've put a damper on everyone's game. What the heck.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:47 PM   #410
Drbio
Banned

Bayliss- I just cannot argue with that after tonight....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 11:48 PM   #411
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, I have to take your guys' words about the attitude the Mavs came out with...if you say they came out with no energy or hustle, that does fall on the players shoulder's.

They can't expect a few minutes of runs to bounce their way for the rest of the game. I understand that. But, Nelson has to take some blame when he throws players out there that doesn't make sense.

That has to be frustrating for the players (especially Dirk) that has to do the rebounding all by himself. I mean, is Finley, Nash or NVE rebounders? No. Najera certainly has his moments, same with Buckner. Fin even. But, how are the Mavs supposed to rebound with that small of a lineup.

I just think NVE shot the ball too much tonight. 1-12 is just too reminiscent (sp) of Finley's 1-17 effort last season.

That's another thing about Nelson. He likes to spread it around too much. The big 3 HAVE to take the brunt of shots, but he insists on LaFrentz (which I can understand), NVE, Buckner, Griffin or whoever is out there take lots of shots too.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:48 PM   #412
Drbio
Banned

We came out of the gate with a resounding....Poof.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:49 PM   #413
DTL
Diamond Member

What a letdown after that Tuesday game....

Good thing we get Memphis next [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 11:50 PM   #414
Drbio
Banned

MFF- I strongly blame Nellie. Horrible game plan. But none of the players IMO, save Dirk, played with any emotion for more than just a few minutes. Total collapse on the Mavs part. A true team loss.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:51 PM   #415
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< That has to be frustrating for the players (especially Dirk) that has to do the rebounding all by himself. I mean, is Finley, Nash or NVE rebounders? No. Najera certainly has his moments, same with Buckner. Fin even. But, how are the Mavs supposed to rebound with that small of a lineup. >>

Some say Dirk isn't a good rebounder. You know what? It's more amazing to me that rebounds the way he does. He is the only one going to the glass. Sometimes it seems like he has to box out the opponent's entire team to get the defensive board.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:51 PM   #416
Drbio
Banned

Even the waterboy sucked tonight...
Old 03-21-2002, 11:52 PM   #417
DTL
Diamond Member

We need to start playing every game like we can DOMINATE anybody with our totally powerful offense and semi-decent defense. Have to get a little swagger into our guys. It seems we don't quite we believe we are the best, most talented, most dangerous team in the league right now, and IMO we certainly ARE!
Old 03-21-2002, 11:54 PM   #418
DTL
Diamond Member

<< Even the waterboy sucked tonight... >>

What happened? Did he spill water on Nellie? I wish he did!
Old 03-21-2002, 11:54 PM   #419
Bayliss

<< We need to start playing every game like we can DOMINATE anybody with our totally powerful offense and semi-decent defense. Have to get a little swagger into our guys. >>

And it's hard to have swagger if you don't know you are going to play or how many minutes.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:54 PM   #420
Drbio
Banned

Did you see the post game Denver Nuggets interview tonight? Their coach walks up to the mike, says, &quot;We suck&quot;, and then left.

Whoa.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:55 PM   #421
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

There was one other bright spot: Cuban wore a Blade II shirt. Wow, what fashion? How many millionaires can dress as shitty as Mark?
Old 03-21-2002, 11:56 PM   #422
Drbio
Banned

LOL ocelot
Old 03-22-2002, 12:01 AM   #423
DTL
Diamond Member

'Night guys. Tough loss.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:04 AM   #424
Drbio
Banned

I'm out too...maybe I can drink myself to sleep...this loss has given me a headache.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:07 AM   #425
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

God, NVE's line makes me want to hurl:

39 min, 1-12fg, 0-5 (3-pt), 0-0ft, 2pts, 4rbs, 2as, 4 fouls, 0stls, 2to, 0blks

Ugly...

LMAO, sorry Ocelot. My attempt was even worse, so I just did it like this.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:08 AM   #426
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

well, my attempt at aligning that sucked, but you get the idea.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:11 AM   #427
Bayliss

I tried to do that the other day.... moderators... how do you align those stats in a table?
Old 03-22-2002, 12:11 AM   #428
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< And it's hard to have swagger if you don't know who you are going to play with or how many minutes. >>

Exactly! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

How many time have I or someone else said that Nelson MUST pick a starting lineup and STICK with it?

Is it really that hard? 4 of them are obvious (Fin, Dirk, Nash, Raef), it shouldn't be too hard to pick Griffin or Najera or Buckner. Hell, even Newman, but stick with it.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:17 AM   #429
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Last year after the trade, he FINALLY decided on a lineup and he stuck with it. We developed an identity and had some success.

This year, it's a fucking crapshoot. &quot;Uh, I think I'll start Najera this game.&quot; Two nights later, &quot;Uh, I don't think Najera matches up well with this team so I'm not even going to let him PLAY.&quot;
Old 03-22-2002, 12:36 AM   #430
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Wow, I don't know if it was posted or not yet, but the Spurs took 37 free throws to our 16.

Pathetic. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2002, 01:00 AM   #431
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I hope nobody blames Fin for this one....it was Nick's horrid 39 mins that killed us....
Old 03-22-2002, 01:07 AM   #432
Bayliss

<< I hope nobody blames Fin for this one....it was Nick's horrid 39 mins that killed us.... >>

I don't blame Fin for this loss at all. His shot so quick was **questionable** but that is **not** what cost us the game. Small-ball and an inconsistenst (I guess it is consistent because Nellie is inconsistent...) lineup is what cost us the game.

We got killed on the boards because Buck/Griff/Najera did not play as many minutes as they should have. Dirk and Raef rebounded well... but when Raef fouled oout Nellie should've went with defense.... and he didn't. He tried to outscore the Spurs with Van Exel on the court. It backfired.

Old 03-22-2002, 01:09 AM   #433
MavsFanFinley
Guru

<< I hope nobody blames Fin for this one....it was Nick's horrid 39 mins that killed us.... >>

It's already started. Not here really. Check the espn board and there blaming him for tonight and the one in LA. Saying how he isn't clutch, etc...Im like, whatever. He comes first, Nelson comes second on the blame chart and all NVE gets is that he shoots more bricks than Hardaway.

The LMF is about 75-25 that it wasn't his fault, but NVE and Nelson's.

Mavtalk is about the same as the LMF.

I already know one person's going to blame him for trying to be the 'hero'.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:11 AM   #434
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Yeah, he tried to put in NVE for his offense, when in all actuality, Donnell Harvey had a better shot at making a basket tonight.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:17 AM   #435
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Gee, I guess it must have looked worse on the tube than in person, huh? I muust admit it is a total different game, being there vs. listening to the announcers. But dang it wasn't that bad! Both teams had lapses in play, judgement, coaching, but not energy. That I will agree with you. We did look a bit flat, except for Nash, and Fin. Again, must I repeat.....It wasn't a blow out, we were right in there most of the game. And I for the record. disagree with some of Nellies calls. He should have put NVE on the bench 3 mins into it. But you never know what is the real plan. Nick has struggled since day one. Maybe, only trying to be positive here, Nellie pushed him into playing through it. Thinking beyond tonight. He has to fit in, play his games or we are dead in the playoffs. You have to do that with certain players. We all know that. (And I can not for the life of me think of another logical explaination.) Hey, at least I scored some ticks w/the Spurs team for the playoffs. (Even the owners think we'll meet in the finals) That says something!
Old 03-22-2002, 01:21 AM   #436
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Kat, thanks for your post.

What did you think of Finley's last shot, you know after the missed ft by Buckner? Was it one he should have taken?

I know, it's hard to hear everything 2nd/3rd hand. One person says they had no energy, another says they did, etc...

I guess it's hard cause we didn't play at the level we can and only lost by 3. It's too tough after the LA loss to have another close one that we should have had.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:24 AM   #437
Kat

Only my opinion, but I thought Fin has played his heart and soul the past eight games or so. I would have given him the shot.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:28 AM   #438
Kat

I must admit I didn't read the entire thread, but it appeared to me that from tip-off until the third qtr, the Mav's were trying to hard, to pumped up and were overplaying the ball, the basket, and just plain nervous. Rather from adrenaline or anticipation, who knows. They just were not playing their game the first two quarters.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:38 AM   #439
mavs.exit.de

mavs.exit.de is on a distinguished road

Only reading the box score, Nick was the one who costed us this loss... 1-of-12, even worse than his first games from the bench as a Maverick.

mavs.exit.de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:53 AM   #440
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I don't have a problem that Finley took a last second shot. I was more upset with the shot he chose to take. He had David Robinson guarding him with plenty of room for penetration. There's one guy on the Mavs team who I want shooting an 18 footer with the game on the line, Nash. Dirk and Fin, they need to take a split second, realize who's guarding them and then make their move. Smaller defender, post up. Bigger defender, drive. It's that easy, IMO.