Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #441
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Here's my thoughts if anyone cares...

I say we stick with Romo, I liked the fact that we could actually move down the field with him out there. Romo was more mobile than I thought he would be, he got away from quite a bit of sacks that Bledsoe would have taken. He did throw some suspect passes but it was his first time out there when the game was still on the line. The tipped pass interception was unfortunate, the screen pass one seemed like it came from a lack of practice, and the one where he threw it behind crayton was all about timing. I seriously believe that with a extra week of practice with the 1rst team he would be a lot better since a lot of the issues were either with timing, or just being too nervous. Than again if TO hangs on to the pass on 4th and 2 we would have probably scored and won this game or at least made it a lot closer. Romo gives us a extra dimension in this offense and actually gives us a chance to consistently move down the field. He does have some problems but give him time. I can't see a way in which Bledsoe starts again this season if Romo is healthy since that would just kill Romo's confidence and make us look like we don't really have a plan as to what we're trying to accomplish.

The defense on the other hand looked ok at best, they got pounded by the run game and couldn't stop the big play. It's about time we moved Roy back to the line since we all know he isn't a great cover guy but is an absolute beast around the line of scrimage.

Just my 2 cents.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #442
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

boy thats rosy

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #443
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm excited about this season. We are .500 with ten games left to play, only one game out in the division, and we finish the season with a very favorable schedule. Not to mention that we have quite a young playmaker on our hands at QB, and evidently TO and Witten and the rest have a good rapport with him.

It hurts to lose last night's game, but I think the season is starting to look brighter and brighter!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #444
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

and thats rosy too!

edit: but boy, I hope yall are correct! and I do think we'll see a lot more of witten and TO...Bledsoe was too attached to Glenn for the offence's good.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-24-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #445
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Romo is our new QB. I think the kid has some serious potential (his release and throwing motion remind me a little of Brett Favre.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #446
sike
The Preacha

three in a row...dang...that Parcells in a freakin genius!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #447
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Should I end the streak?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #448
sike
The Preacha

end this mess of subjectivity!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #449
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Bring back Carter!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #450
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I'm excited about this season. We are .500 with ten games left to play, only one game out in the division, and we finish the season with a very favorable schedule. Not to mention that we have quite a young playmaker on our hands at QB, and evidently TO and Witten and the rest have a good rapport with him.

It hurts to lose last night's game, but I think the season is starting to look brighter and brighter!
Im curious, how are you so negative about the Mavs but so positive about the cowboys? You seem like totally different people when discussing them...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #451
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets go out and git that draft pick!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #452
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Im curious, how are you so negative about the Mavs but so positive about the cowboys? You seem like totally different people when discussing them...
Because Jerry didn't let Nash go?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #453
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is a solid point. I'm intrigued to hear the answer.

Not that being positive is a bad thing, and I do love Chum just as he is.

But it is an interesting question nontheless.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #454
sike
The Preacha

I like the move...because I was done with Bledsoe...

Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #455
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
have you at any point said romo should be in there?

i don't know about you...but all the fans wanting romo had to realize he's green.
Nope..he's a loser this year. It's a wasted year and I dont' think he has enough upside to waste a season on him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #456
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Nope..he's a loser this year. It's a wasted year and I dont' think he has enough upside to waste a season on him.
ouch.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #457
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we judged Bledsoe after one game he'd have been a loser this year too.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #458
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Has that changed over the games hes played since then?(not that im saying that applies to Romo too just sayin...)
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #459
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Very close to the truth!

And while Jerry may be a lot of things, he doesn't have Cuban's clown factor.

I could never be negative about my Cowboys or my Mavericks. I watched them both through too many bad times and good times. I just occasionally get miffed one or two individuals in the Mavs organization, that's all.

May both win the championship this year!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #460
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has that changed over the games hes played since then?(not that im saying that applies to Romo too just sayin...)
It has. I was just responding to dude's point that Drew is a winner and Romo is a loser.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #461
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
He came right out and said Bill made a mistake doing what he did.

That, combined with him saying numerous times in the past that he has no interest in being a backup makes me think he might just up and retire.

Maybe.

Here's the link.

And after watching romo throw the ball all over the place he was right. A very winnable game went in the toilet.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #462
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Bledsoe's tone is hard to get from the print but he certainly might quit on this team...
Oh I think you could guess his tone by watching him on the sidelines during the game.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #463
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
so what, its better than having his ass in there behind the center taking sacks!!
Maybe Romo can get to 6ints per game.

It's a pretty classic case imo of the grass being greener on the other side. Obviously we'll see but to think he's going to be anything other than a mediocre to bad quarterback just isn't that logical.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #464
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Bledsoe is a pussy - good riddance... Now if we can get rid of Parcelles we might have a shot at a Superbowl before Glenn retires or Ware moves on to a contender...

Bold words? Cowboys will be 7-9 this season... BOOK IT!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-24-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #465
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Bob and Dan are pretty sure the sky has just fallen...season over.

Boy I would love to see them have to eat crow on this one....or at least I hope they have to
They are way right on this one. I can't even imagine the last time (if ever) a first year (let's make that 4-year backup who can't break the lineup) taking a team to a playoff. Rothlesburger maybe, but Romo sure as heck isn't he.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #466
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
That DOES explain it.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #467
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Why has a guy sat on a bench for 4 years and never gotten a snap? When we had quincy carter, vinnie, drew in front of him. The guy can't beat any of them out? Good grief.

If he had some skins, any skins at all I might feel better about it. If he'd had a week of practice I'd feel better about it, but parcels didn't even think enough of him to make the call? It wasn't even like it was a blow-out, it was 5 points!!

Parcells just threw away a season, I'd be tempted to fire his ass today if I were jones.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #468
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Bledsoe is a pussy - good riddance... Now if we can get rid of Parcelles we might have a shot at a Superbowl before Glenn retires or Ware moves on to a contender...

Bold words? Cowboys will be 7-9 this season... BOOK IT!
shoot man. i hope we go 3-13. better draft position...if someone can make some good choices there...we might be on the road back to being some kind of *good* team.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #469
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
They are way right on this one. I can't even imagine the last time (if ever) a first year (let's make that 4-year backup who can't break the lineup) taking a team to a playoff. Rothlesburger maybe, but Romo sure as heck isn't he.
brady.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #470
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why has a guy sat on a bench for 4 years and never gotten a snap? When we had quincy carter, vinnie, drew in front of him. The guy can't beat any of them out? Good grief.
Why didn't Jake Delhome beat out Aaron Brooks in N.O.? Why didn't Ben Rothlesburger beat out Tommy Maddox in Pittsburg?

I doubt he was given a chance to beat out those guys. You may ultimately be right but it's still too early to tell.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #471
dude1394
Guru

Looks like brady languised all of 1 year on the bench.

Delhomme...is much more of a solid example. Had to be traded to get a chance.

Ben never sat the bench per his stats.

Again...if he's great, then sure I'll eat my hat, but the odds are way,way down there. And even those guys seem to have won the job in training camp, not thrown in the middle of the season in the middle of a game. (Now I blame parcells for that, hell I blame parcells for having the kid out there at all).
Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #472
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Here here! Bring back Troy Hambrick!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #473
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Ben initially got in because Maddox got hurt. Brady got in because Bledsoe got hurt. Neither of these guys were able to or given the opportunity to beat out the imcumbent.

I bring this up to refute you're claim that since Romo didn't beat out Quincy, Vinny or Drew he couldn't be any good.

A lot of times a coach feels more comfortable with the devil he knows...doesn't mean the guy behind him can't play.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #474
dude1394
Guru

Points taken....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #475
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

im bored with Romo talk....let's talk about Owens

Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #476
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Rothlesburger is better than Romo, how?

Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #477
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looks like brady languised all of 1 year on the bench.

Delhomme...is much more of a solid example. Had to be traded to get a chance.

Ben never sat the bench per his stats.

Again...if he's great, then sure I'll eat my hat, but the odds are way,way down there. And even those guys seem to have won the job in training camp, not thrown in the middle of the season in the middle of a game. (Now I blame parcells for that, hell I blame parcells for having the kid out there at all).
delhomme played europe for a while...behind kurt warner. i think romo has some promise...he just needs some protection.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #478
chumdawg
Guru

Dude, if you have followed the Cowboys and Parcells closely the last few years, you know there is a very good reason why Romo hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet: Parcells was adamant about not putting him until he was ready.

It's really as simple as that. And if you study Parcells, you might learn something from the way he handled Phil Simms. Evidently he thought Simms played too early, too young. When he took over the Giants, he benched him. And this is a first-round draft choice we are talking about! The Giants were terrible that year, with Brunner quarterbacking, but that's how seriously Parcells felt about his quarterback learning what it was he wanted him to learn.

Three years later, and Simms and Parcells win a Super Bowl.

Now, Parcells has coddled and coddled Tony Romo. Make no mistake that he sees a great deal in the young man. You point to Romo's track record and offer it up as a reason not to believe he's got anything. I look at the Parcells that I hear and I know of, and I say it's EVERY reason to believe the kid has got something. Parcells could have thrown him out there last year. He could have started the season with him this year. But he had reasons not to. And those reasons are that he believes he HAS something in Romo, not that he believes he has nothing.

Trust me, Parcells thinks Romo can play. He has a lot invested in "the player." You don't extend a guy who has held your clipboard for three years if you don't think he has something. Really, for you to hold Romo's record against him is so far from the truth as to near be considered naive. Romo's record is, as of now, the ONLY thing going FOR him.

And when it comes to "backup" quarterbacks, don't forget that Parcells won a Super Bowl with Hostettler. And don't forget what he did with Ray Lucas at the Jets. Say what you want about Parcells, but he has generally had good quarterbacking when he needed it.

I know the sexy thing is to compare Romo to Favre, but if I had to guess who Parcells would compare him to, I would guess Simms.

Last edited by chumdawg; 10-24-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #479
sike
The Preacha

"but if I had to guess who Parcells would compare him to, I would guess Simms."

I'd take that.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #480
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Chris or Phil? nice post chum

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 10-24-2006 at 11:26 PM.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote