Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #441
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Annnnd I have reached what feels like an all-time low in sports depression. Did the Mavs & Stars collectively decide to take the rest of the season off?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #442
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

You know...the penalties are terrible. They're just really terrible. How in the hell does a goalie get a high sticking penalty?

They played well last night. They really did. But they found another (very creative) way to lose. A 5 on 3 in a 5 minute OT. lol I have never seen that before. They bring an extra guy on the ice, and you keep 3.

I don't know how many more ways there are to lose games. I think they've just about covered them all.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #443
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

And the downward spiral of my sports-viewing life continues.

First the Cowboys, then the Mavs, then the Stars. The only saving grace is that the Rangers can suck anymore than they have been. If they do, my grand slam is complete.

edit: Flacolaco, how was that double gut-kick?

Last edited by TripleDipping; 03-28-2008 at 08:59 AM.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #444
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a crazy thought:

The Stars would be better off in the 7 spot than the 5 or 6 spot.

Where do the Stars play better on the road? Vancouver? Calgary? Colorado? Anaheim?

Anywhere in Canada for the playoffs is a nightmare. Colorado is a nightmare. Anaheim is...ok it's anaheim.

But playing in San Jose is something the stars do reasonably well, and pulled points out of that building all 4 times this year.

That is to say, if the Stars make the playoffs at all.

(of course that would guarantee the Stars a trip to the Joe in the 2nd round, but I don't think anyone really expects this team to do anything anyway)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 03-28-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #445
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

they need to get the wild in the first round.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #446
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

92 points is currently the projected line for the last spot.

96 points would likely get the Stars the 5 seed.

I don't think they can get 6 more points. I think they can get 3 more points. Maybe 4. I think we're likely looking at the 6 or 7 seed. So the Wild is a possibility, but they have to do their part, and Calgary has the tie breaker over them for the division I believe.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #447
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Alright well....even though the Stars are doomed to hell, death, destruction, dismemberment, and general misery of the highest order, the Bob and Dan Dallas Stars road trip never fails to produce radio gold.

Ralph Strangis was just throwing out some extremely hot sports opinions about goalies and why the league shouldn't cater to them as much as they do.

Earlier, he basically called out Tippets entire system without actually saying it. He was basically preaching that old saying "safe is death" but we all know that the Stars system is to wait for the other team to crack, and don't try anything risky because you might lose your lead.

Ralph and Razor are very wise when given a forum to say things outside of "generic broadcast team" time on TV.

Also of note today was a good story from Bob, about the bus for the management to the arena last night. Apparently the bus driver thought it would be a good idea to have the pre game show on the radio, but when Hullie got on the bus, he yelled at him to turn that crap off, and find some classic rock.

I love Hullie.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #448
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I am SO UPSET I'm missing BaD Radio road trip week! My work has forbidden streaming radio on the Internet b/c we have an ancient DSL connection & it slows down everyone's Internet so now I'm in severe Ticket withdrawal. I'd feel much worse about being cut off if my teams weren't all sucking at once & I get really upset thinking about this. How am I supposed to get psyched up for the playoffs this way??
Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #449
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

it, its a tough thing.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #450
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

7-2!!!... against the Kings. But nevertheless, I hope this builds some confidence so they can finish the season strong.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:19 AM   #451
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Of course...a game I didn't get to see one second of, and 7 effing goals.

I hope this gives them a little confidence rolling into a big one tomorrow. If they can get 2 more wins then they will be taking alittle trip in a couple of weeks to exactly where they are tomorrow. A win in Anaheim would go a long LONG way towards that impending playoff series if they can get it. If not, they may be better off slipping to 6 or 7. The Ducks are the defending champs.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #452
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Of course...a game I didn't get to see one second of, and 7 effing goals.
Then stop watching them, you jinx
Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #453
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

that reminds me of a hypothetical me and a buddy talked about years ago - if you really were a jinx, if you knew that the only way your team could win a championship was for you to never watch any of their games, could you do it?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #454
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Wow the Stars are playing scared. Really scared.

This is pathetic
Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #455
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

And just like that, it's over because Norstrum is a PHUCKING OAF

I HATE YOU, YOU STUPID SWEDISH OGER. YOU ARE WORTHLESS.

THat is all.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #456
ames7
Diamond Member

F! Good bye, home ice. I will miss you.

Well, at least they got the clinch out of the way. Good God, two lousy wins in the month of March.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #457
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They played a lot better in the 3rd, and they dominated the OT, just couldn't get it in. Once they stopped the "conga line to the box" (razor) they found out they could play with them.

Still, I think that the 4/5 matchup is a bad one. I really don't want to play the Ducks. They look like the NHL equivalent of the Spurs. They know how to play in the playoffs, and every year come March, they just turn it on. They won the cup last year, and were in the WCF the year before that. I expect they'll do at least that again this year.

They scare me.

The question is, do we want them to get on a roll here in the last 3, and roll into Anaheim? or maybe drop to 6th and play Calgary or Colorado or Minnesota?

edit: Looking at the points situation, it might be difficult to drop to 6th or 7th. COL/Calgary/Van all play eachother in the last few and are going to beat eachother up. The Stars don't have any games left against teams that can affect their seeding. Weird. I expect to take 1 from Phoenix, and one loss, and the game against San Jose is a crap shoot. SJ might not dress everyone that game, so who knows?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 03-30-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #458
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Colorado, Calgary and Nasville win tonight. I guess my designs of moving down to 6th place are quickly becoming a reality.

It's possible that the Stars will be the only Western conference team entering the playoffs that isn't "on a roll"
Old 04-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #459
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Apparently we cannot finish any lower than 7th at this point.

Sorry Detroit...see you in the 2nd round????

LOL
Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #460
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Apparently we aren't playing Richards or Ribeiro tonight, according to Brenden Morrow on the radio.

They're getting " a day off to rest"

Sounds like Tippet is going to try for that 6th spot?

I wonder if Holmqvist is starting.

edit: confirmed, Holmqvist is starting. No Richards, No ribeiro.

Zubov flew to somewhere in Europe to get his foot worked on.

Are we in full panic mode or what?

Big loss tonight, but apparently we shouldn't care.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-03-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #461
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

they're winning so far there flacylacky.

Last edited by mkat; 04-03-2008 at 10:48 PM.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #462
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah....pretty solid effort SO FAR.

THe Yotes look ready to get out on the golf course.

It'll be the Ducks for sure if this holds for 20 minutes more.

-gulp-
Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #463
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah....pretty solid effort SO FAR.

THe Yotes look ready to get out on the golf course.

It'll be the Ducks for sure if this holds for 20 minutes more.

-gulp-
yeah i'm kinda worried about that myself....having a pretty good year, one of the more solid teams we've had in a while, only to get beat in the first round...again.

Last edited by mkat; 04-03-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #464
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I would honestly feel better about playing the Sharks than the Ducks.

edit: Uh-oh...a fight and a goal for the Yotes.

This one's not over yet

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-03-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #465
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol....Gretzky just very plainly mouthed on tv "That's F#$%cking BULL SH$t!!!!"
Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #466
mkat
Platinum Member

s'over.

bring on the ducks.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #467
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yup.

We're gonna have to dig in deep, and stay the EFF out of the penalty box.

The Ducks play 2 home games against the Kings and Coyotes...They just need to win one of those to clinch home ice.

So...do we sit Richards and Ribs again tomorrow? or Sunday?

I still think this team needs to try to "get on a roll" but I'm not the coach, so we shall see.

I will be in attendance tomorrow and Sunday. Gotta fill out my end of the season comment card(s)
Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #468
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Good god, stop bumping the rangers and cowboys threads above the team that just clinched a playoff spot, and most recently brought this city a Title, you bunch of stupid hicks. Hockey = teh sh!t
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #469
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

barch got knocked tha f*ck out, gretzky is a jackass and I called a morrow and defensemen goal. good win lets keep it going, win out and lose ducks, lose. Zubov sounds done for. I still have hope for this team and will be the eternal optimist to flacos pessimist. Jk flaco! cheer those boys on to victory for me this weekend.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #470
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I will cheer my arse off.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #471
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
barch got knocked tha f*ck out, gretzky is a jackass and I called a morrow and defensemen goal. good win lets keep it going, win out and lose ducks, lose. Zubov sounds done for. I still have hope for this team and will be the eternal optimist to flacos pessimist. Jk flaco! cheer those boys on to victory for me this weekend.
Yeah, Barch embarrassed all Stars fans with that K.O. At least Ott stead on his skates.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #472
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Pretty bland night at the arena tonight. Everyone knew the score, and Turco was pretty awful.

The Boucher goal was sweet.

The Stars were not rteally interested in this one, but had a lot of good scoring opportunities, while lacking the skill to finish them.

You can't embarrass a team in their home finale, and then run Crombeen, Peterson, Lundqvist, and Winchester at them and expect to get anything done.

It didn't really matter. Still, I don't care for the way they're going abotu their business.

I hope Ribeiro and Richards REALLY need this time off, because it just throws the lines into something terrible, and you're basically thowing a training camp menality out there.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #473
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pretty bland night at the arena tonight. Everyone knew the score, and Turco was pretty awful.

The Boucher goal was sweet.

The Stars were not rteally interested in this one, but had a lot of good scoring opportunities, while lacking the skill to finish them.

You can't embarrass a team in their home finale, and then run Crombeen, Peterson, Lundqvist, and Winchester at them and expect to get anything done.

It didn't really matter. Still, I don't care for the way they're going abotu their business.

I hope Ribeiro and Richards REALLY need this time off, because it just throws the lines into something terrible, and you're basically thowing a training camp menality out there.
look what coasting did for the mavs and cowboys. you'd think they'd learn...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #474
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol yeah.

I mean...look at the matchups in the playoffs....

Goalie:

freaking Giguere vs Turco.

Pronger and Neidermeyer vs ?????? kids?

The Stars SHOULD have the same amount of talent offensively, but that only gets you so far in a defensive system. The Ducks power play is what? 21st? And the Stars is 10th. But that's over the whole season. I don't know what it is lately, but it favors Anaheim.

In every single way you look at this thing, Anaheim is favored heavily in each area of the game. Then there's the intangible part....the Stanley Cup Champs know all about that.

That all equates to....what? 4-1....4-2? Maybe?

I think the team should've been playing to get on a roll tonight and last night, not to rest people and play the rookies.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #475
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

btw, Ott left the game tonight because he was literally throwing up.

Apparently the flu really is spreading through the team.

NOT GOOD.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #476
ames7
Diamond Member

There's nothing more to do at this point but get healthy & pray for Zubie. Man, what a depressing sports year. I keep waiting to feel more excited about this thing.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #477
Caseman
Golden Member

Without Zubby and with a sickly Ott, this isn't looking too good. Sometimes, I really do believe this town is cursed.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #478
Caseman
Golden Member

Exellent comeback for the Stars. They gave an L to one of the hottest teams in hockey and by two goals.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #479
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Boo-yah

Just got back. I wasn't expecting that.

The game didn't matter, but it sure was great to watch.

All the Sharks fans in my section started off very obnoxious, and then left after the 4th goal. I love to watch them slink off like that.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #480
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Boo-yah

Just got back. I wasn't expecting that.

The game didn't matter, but it sure was great to watch.

All the Sharks fans in my section started off very obnoxious, and then left after the 4th goal. I love to watch them slink off like that.
I'm sad to say most Stars fans do that as well. But yeah, you got your ticket worth with that game.