Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #441
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Do you think its possible for a player to be clutch if his team still loses?
(of course it is)

But I'm staying out of it!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #442
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure.

I've never called a player that lost clutch. There have been clutch plays in a losing effort but the term "clutch loser" just doesn't work in my head.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #443
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I understand there are poor pressure and good pressure plays in winning and losing efforts.

So maybe I'm just too Lombardi on this but labels are primarily derived from the final scoreboard for me.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #444
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Not to derail the subject of clutch too much... but how do you guys see the next game in SA shaping up?

I was surprised the Suns had so much success during the times that they doubled Duncan. Does that success carry over to tomorrow? Does Pop need to make an adjustment to counter the double? Or was it just an off night?

From the best I could tell, it appeared that the double team defense was responsible for the poor play (as opposed to just bad execution on the Spurs part) as so many shots looked forced and from the outside. By having Tim on the floor, it allowed the Suns to clog the paint up a little, yet they were able to recover effectively when Duncan passed out the double team. I'm thinking that this could be something for Phoenix to build on if nothing is changed.

One thing I'm pretty confident of though is that the Spurs would've lost last night if Amare had played.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #445
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_VIII
One thing I'm pretty confident of though is that the Spurs would've lost last night if Amare had played.
The Spurs have already beaten the Suns twice in this series with Amare playing, so I don't think that's a given. We'll never know for certain though.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #446
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I predict the Suns come out flying again. I don't think being in SA phases them much. It just depends on how big the lead gets. SA will wear them down over 48 minutes like they do to everyone, and it's just a question of how much time is left when the suns eventually crack.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #447
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sticking with my original prediction of Spurs in 6, but the Suns' effort last night was impressive.

I think it'll be another close game.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #448
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How about the jumper Dirk made in Game Five against the Heat, with ten seconds left, to go up one? Was that clutch?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 AM   #449
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
How about the jumper Dirk made in Game Five against the Heat, with ten seconds left, to go up one? Was that clutch?
Yes. Unbelievably clutch, especially considering he wasn't having the game of his life. If I remember the shot you're talking about, it was also a really, really incredibly difficult shot, and he swished it.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #450
kenny9

kenny9 will become famous soon enough

you know..i've been thinking...this series reminds me a lot of the 2002 wcf between the kings and lakers! Where Kings felt it was their time, and they were the best team until some shoddy officiating FT choking...and lets not forget Horry's 3!!! We all know what happened after it. Kings never made it back to the top, and Lakers havent had a ring since!

This series....well the Suns if they dont win it this year, i think their window shuts for a while...and the spurs better win it, because like the Lakers from that year, they'll keep aging and losing their edge.
kenny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #451
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Yes. Unbelievably clutch, especially considering he wasn't having the game of his life. If I remember the shot you're talking about, it was also a really, really incredibly difficult shot, and he swished it.
he had two big plays in the final minute (literally) of regulation too -- a bucket and a dime to Damp that gave the mavs a 2 point lead with just a few seconds left. very clutch play by dirk at the end of that game.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #452
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny9
This series....well the Suns if they dont win it this year, i think their window shuts for a while...
Nonsense.

Haven't you listened to Mike Tirico and Tim Legler - Run 'n' Gun is the future of the NBA. Bill Simmons told me the suns are the greatest team of all time - how could their window close?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #453
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Nonsense.

Haven't you listened to Mike Tirico and Tim Legler - Run 'n' Gun is the future of the NBA. Bill Simmons told me the suns are the greatest team of all time - how could their window close?
ZOMG!!! He told me the exact same thing!

Seriously though...how will Mavs fans feel when the Suns go out and make a big move after they don't get it done again? And how many tries do Mike, Dan, and Tony get? Little porcelain stevie isn't getting any younger.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #454
kenny9

kenny9 will become famous soon enough

I dont think the window is open, not atleast with this same team, just by the fact they have to make changes since they are going to be above the salary cap. Run n Gun may be the future, as long as the media just loves them. I'm sure had we been a flashy run & gun team shooting threes or dunking we'd be everyone's darling...same goes for the cavs, laks, miami...its just like when the Kings were everyone's darling during their years in 2002, and for that 2003 season us too when we went to the WCF! but it wont be the suns, not with this same suns team, because they are going to have to move either marion, amare (as Simmons proposed), Barbosa, Diaw....if they do the trade that simmons proposed Amare for KG, then can they still play the uptempo with KG? Because he doesnt seem like the Run N Guy type big man.

also the myth of Nash's play that should grind down as he is 34. Now as i say that,he'll probably prove me wrong and win yet another MVP! However, he was tired at the end of that 45 minute playoff game the other night, you have to wonder how many of those type of games can he still play at this high level?

on a side not you know its funny also, remove Nash from the phx team, and they're almost as similar to this mavericks team. except for the fact Dirk plays from the outside, and Amare from the inside. Because you have players in Howard and Marion who can make the gritty plays and start off fast off plays not run for them, but kind of phase away towards the end. Barbosa has a bit of terry and harris in him with his range and drive...
kenny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #455
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

tonight............suns 108 spurs 96
Amare goes crazy and has his revenge
Boris puts the clamps down!
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #456
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

102-99 Spurs.

Nash misses a 3 for the tie.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #457
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Suns run them out the gym tonight! Suns by 15!!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #458
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
102-99 Spurs.

Nash misses a 3 for the tie.
but ginobilli fouls him in the process...

Suns 114-106 in OT.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #459
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Oh btw...I know Barbosa was great in the regular season, but this series...yeah not so much. I wonder how many voters are wishing they could not only change their MVP votes, but their 6th man votes as well.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #460
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

The Spurs know how to close out. This will be the end of the series. And the gimmick.
I could see Phoenix falling back into hoisting 3's to stay in the game and then have them dry up in the last quarter while SA pushes the lead to 10+.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #461
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If the Spurs win tonight, we're in for some pretty boring playoffs rest of the way. This may be the last must-see game this year!

Which is why, although I'm rooting against the Suns in this series... I hope they win tonight and lose at home in Game 7!!

Last edited by V2M; 05-18-2007 at 06:57 PM.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #462
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Wish us luck guys--this is going to be one hell of a tough game.

BSR
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #463
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Duncan just absolutely punked steve Nash!

lol what a block
Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #464
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is a damn fine basketball game.

If only the NBA would re-seed after every round we could've seen it in the WCF....
Old 05-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #465
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Wow, Duncan is putting on a shot-blocking clinic. 7 blocks with 11 min. to go in the 3rd.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #466
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Good lord 9 blocks for TD.

And now they're raining the 3's.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #467
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

bad call by the refs. stoudmire had that ball out of his hands waay before he stepped out.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #468
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

That Elson guy fouls like Diop does sometimes. early and often
Old 05-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #469
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Suns scored 16 points in the 3rd quarter, and have one quarter left to make up a 14 point gap. Hmmm.....
Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #470
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The Spurs are kicking ass.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #471
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Little stevie just made his 2nd field goal with 8:20 left in the 4th...

what WILL people say??
Old 05-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #472
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Gotta love this game!! One particularly nice part of the semi finals is that we're seeing both slow paced teams win, while the more offense oriented teams lose. This means that we're still on the right track, no major retooling.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #473
mary
Troll Hunter

Well, he's clearly not deserving of an MVP if this is the best he can do in an elimination game.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #474
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The spurs are taking shots too quickly now. Why are they jacking up those 3s? Is bowen the guy you want with the ball in his hands?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #475
mary
Troll Hunter

And Phoenix is on a run...the Spurts better be careful here and not CHOKE the game away.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #476
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Dan Tony is completely out of hand over there. Somebody needs to T his ass up
Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #477
mary
Troll Hunter

Nine point game...there is some constricting of the upper respiratory area going on!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #478
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Nine point game...there is some constricting of the upper respiratory area going on!
Yeah. The Spurs are jacking up 3's like GS, and missing them.

Certainly is getting fun.

What a world class choke job this would be.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #479
mary
Troll Hunter

Another playoff failure from a run-n-gun team.

Raja Bell's an idiot.

Last edited by mary; 05-18-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #480
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Well lets not dwell on this, congrats to the Spurs... now can we get to the fun part of laughing at the Suns? Where the hell did Nash go in that game? He better get some negative media attention after the pounding Dirk took.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote