Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #481
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...this Gortat guy sure does seem to be flip flopping. He can't decide what's going to happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #482
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

I've seen people mention BYC before, but wasn't sure it was relevant here until I looked it up (search link for BYC). Basically, if Orlando matches and trade Gortat before 6 months, they trade him as if his salary is 50% of his first year. So, about $3 million.

Another hit against matching.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #483
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Hmm...this Gortat guy sure does seem to be flip flopping. He can't decide what's going to happen.
On the contrary, he wants to come here, but its not up to him anymore.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #484
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think Gortat is just as nervous as us fans is his real problem.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #485
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

If Orlando matches I hope the Lakers/Celtics/Cavaliers brutally destroy them in the playoffs.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #486
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
On the contrary, he wants to come here, but its not up to him anymore.
Yeah I wasn't saying he couldn't decide where he wanted to go. He just can't decide what he thinks is going to happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #487
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He seems like he really doesn't have a clue what will happen, Otis is really doing a number. Gortat sounds like he wants to get out though, not openly referring to himself as part of the team over the whole course of the interview.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #488
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Would Houston trade for Gortat in 90 days with Dallas's contract? They didn't want to offer him the full MLE the first time around.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #489
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Would Houston trade for Gortat in 90 days with Dallas's contract? They didn't want to offer him the full MLE the first time around.
I dunno how their injury exemption works out...but I would definitely see that as a place he could wind up going if they trade him after the 90 days.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #490
joemoeschmoe

Boy, matching and trading to Houston would be a double kick in the nuts. On the Magic boards, this appears to be what some people want Otis to do.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #491
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think he is as confused as we are.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #492
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

If Houston wanted Gortat for the full MLE they would have offered it to him. So now, after not offering it to him they're going to send assets to the Magic for him and his full MLE?

I don't think so.

The dude is coming here. Mark it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #493
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I dunno how their injury exemption works out...but I would definitely see that as a place he could wind up going if they trade him after the 90 days.
I just seems weird that they risked losing him in FA by not offering him the full money, but they would want to use an asset to aquire him a few months later.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #494
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
If Houston wanted Gortat for the full MLE they would have offered it to him. So now, after not offering it to him they're going to send assets to the Magic for him and his full MLE?

I don't think so.

2nd thoughts? They didn't have Ariza as a major option and look at what happened. It's possible...

I still think Otis is blowing smoke and Gortat comes here, it's just a pain hearing these different stories...just like the Kidd situation.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #495
joemoeschmoe

Quote:

I don't think so.

Great point. I didn't think of that. I really hope you're right. I just wish I didn't have to wait 5 #$%!ing days to find out.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #496
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Gortat cant burn any bridges by saying "The mavericks are my dream job, get me outta Orlando" because he may very well end up back there.

Well I guess he could and it would work out well for us, but he's not some spoiled American NBA player like Kobe, Artest or T-Mac
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #497
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

If Orlando matches, Orlando management should be watching their backs on their way back home. , ha ha ha.
eyedentifyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #498
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Otis will screw us so bad that we end up having nightmares and crying like babies..

Last edited by darkwitzki; 07-10-2009 at 05:51 PM.
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #499
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I really don't want to hate Orlando but I'm positive I will if they match.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #500
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Orlando doesnt match to keep him because they would pay with LT over 10 mio each year for Gortat.

Houston doesnt want Gortat for the full MLE for sure. If they want now (i doubt) they have to send something what the Magic want (and for what they would have to pay also LT).

He is a Mav.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #501
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/...,2507682.story

" Smith said "it's a possibility" the Magic could match the Mavs' five-year, $34 million offer sheet for center Marcin Gortat and trade him later.

"It's a possibility, everything is open," he said. "We can't close the door or anything. As I said, it's a big chunk so you have to look ... if you want to get involved or not and how you're going to go from there." "

Hopefully, he is just saying the correct things as a GM should and that it doesn't actually happen.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #502
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

No doubt Orlando will match. The key to winning championships is eliminating your competition.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #503
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Otis would be a fool to pay that much for a backup.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #504
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
No doubt Orlando will match. The key to winning championships is eliminating your competition.
Brilliant analysis. The part I love most is where you explain how it's 100% certain that they're going to match, yet they've not done so yet.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #505
eyedentifyme

If we do not get Gortat, we still have options, like having multiple guys playing the center position by committee with Damp/Hollins/Singleton/Nivins (24 fouls, make sure Hollins and Damp foul out 1st so Singleton can finish the game in the 4th quarters with his good free throw shooting).
Old 07-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #506
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

In my opinion it would be a slap in the face to Gortat to match. It's holding down his career not to let him go some where that he can start.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #507
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #508
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Brilliant analysis. The part I love most is where you explain how it's 100% certain that they're going to match, yet they've not done so yet.
You are talking about the team that was just in the NBA Finals. And having a backup is important for depth. Having junk for the bench will hurt you real quickly. Sacramento Kings without Bobby Jackson was a good example of a team struggling without depth. It also keeps your starters fresh for the playoffs. Orlando would be stupid not to match the offer. They have the cards so why not use them?
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #509
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default If Gortat is matched?

What about Camby? Is he still available? I might prefer him to Gortat since he's a vet. Don't know about his injury status though.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #510
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I been prepared for something like this to happen that's why I didn't put Gortat on the Mavs in NBA Live yet, the Mavs let the Magic in the trade for Marion when they didn't need a 4th team and they also let Bass walk to the Magic and you mean to tell me the Magic GM would match that offer for a back up?....that would be a real b**** by the Magic if they match the offer only to trade Gortat months later.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #511
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

In this case, the BYC for Gortat would last until June 30, 2010 and not just six months.

So, if Orlando matches, they cannot trade him for 90 days, and then the BYC is still in play making it still a difficult trade.

If Orlando matches they will be keeping him for at least a year, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
I've seen people mention BYC before, but wasn't sure it was relevant here until I looked it up (search link for BYC). Basically, if Orlando matches and trade Gortat before 6 months, they trade him as if his salary is 50% of his first year. So, about $3 million.

Another hit against matching.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #512
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

If Cubes is in Otis shoes, on a championship caliber team, definitely he will match it and give it another season, OR if Houston badly wants it, he could trade it for Battier and Landry etc.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #513
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
If Cubes is in Otis shoes, on a championship caliber team, definitely he will match it and give it another season, OR if Houston badly wants it, he could trade it for Battier and Landry etc.
You are aware that the Mavs declined to offer Bass MLE-level money, when doing so would have all but guaranteed that he stayed a Mav?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #514
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

It's going to be a long five days especially with all the Debbie Downers posting how Orlando is going to match.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #515
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Bass signed the contract or can we still offer one too?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #516
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Bass was unrestricted that means he is now with the Magic.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #517
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
It's going to be a long five days especially with all the Debbie Downers posting how Orlando is going to match.
Why would they offer to match when they just used that money on Bass?

I would also imagine that there were some words spoken between Otis and Donnie about the Gortot deal when the Marion deal was coming down.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #518
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Why would they offer to match when they just used that money on Bass?

I would also imagine that there were some words spoken between Otis and Donnie about the Gortot deal when the Marion deal was coming down.

I ask the same question why would they match?

All I ask is that we as Mav's fans have a little more faith please don't be so pessimistic.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #519
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
I ask the same question why would they match?

All I ask is that we as Mav's fans have a little more faith please don't be so pessimistic.
Well...we've earned that pessimism....or do you not remember 06?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #520
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Well...we've earned that pessimism....or do you not remember 06?
I'm trying to forget 06.

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?