Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #481
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@EarlKSneed: .@Dennis1SmithJr on the dunk contest: “I believe I can put on a show for Dallas. ... I’ve got a couple (tricks), man. You’ve got to wait and see. Warmup lines, I just be getting loose with that & trying out a couple of things. But by dunk contest time, I’ll be ready.”
I have not been this excited for an Allstar event in a while.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #482
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@EarlKSneed: .@Dennis1SmithJr on the dunk contest: “I believe I can put on a show for Dallas. ... I’ve got a couple (tricks), man. You’ve got to wait and see. Warmup lines, I just be getting loose with that & trying out a couple of things. But by dunk contest time, I’ll be ready.”
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #483
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoy watching the dunk contest and 3 point shootout. The dunk contest has gone downhill a bit with all the props being used now, but I cannot wait to watch DSJ. Hopefully he makes them first try. He's got some good competition.

I really wish the 3 point shootout would showcase the best shooters in the game. I mean Wayne Ellington might be shooting a good percentage, but give me JJ Reddick or Anthony Morrow of those guys. I want to see the best shooters the league has battle it out.

Not trying to change the subject. Back to DSJ greatness...
Old 02-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #484
BPo001
Diamond Member

Earl K. Sneed: Dennis Smith Jr. says Vince Carter told him to “go out and win it” before the dunk contest All-Star Weekend. Carter’s nod meant a lot to the rookie. Smith Jr. says he has a dunk he’s never done before that he’ll break out that night.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #485
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
How about a round of applause for Michael Finley? He is the player that got me into the Mavs in the late 90s, and now he has a big hand in the draft. Kudos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Mike Finley is why I became a true Mavs fan....I know for some it probably was Dirk.....Finley was all we had to root for here for awhile.
I was always the tallest kid in my class, but never was interested in basketball til the 5th grade. Around that time my family moved to East Texas. Right about the time I got into hoops [and I got into it BIG time. If you ever remember those (insert name of sport here) is life t-shirts, that's how I lived my life) the Mavs were starting their painful 1990s era.

I remember a lot of talk about Roy Tarpley's suspensions. At the time I couldn't understand. Had no frame of reference for drugs, etc. I remember watching guys like Donald Hodge, Terry Davis, Doug Smith, and one of my favorite Mavericks Mike Iuzzolino. I remember being pretty stoked a few years later when I saw Randy White (the Mavs player) working out at the same gym I was at. I asked him to join our pick up game, but he politely declined.

I use to watch so much basketball back then. I remember being really upset the Mavs picked Doug Smith and not Stacey Augmon. I watched every Fab 5 game I could, and I remember being really psyched when the Mavs took Jimmy Jackson.

Imagine how excited everyone was when the Mavs picked DSJ, but he sat out most of the season. He only played in 28 games that year. Like imagine DSJ was making his season debut tomorrow night. I remember how excited I was to watch that first game Jackson played in. If my memory serves me right he hit a half court shot to beat the buzzer & it was the tease to Dale Hansen's sports segment that night.

Rocked through some pretty tough years in the mid 90s. I remember loving Tony Dumas. Popeye Jones was always fun to watch. I use to try and shoot like Sweet Lou Harris. Ultimately though it was rough watching the 3 Js get broken up. Kinda like Jim Jackson's hold out his rookie year; it was like they didn't want to be here. Back then the Dallas Mavericks were like the Sacramento Kings. Everyone thought we were a joke & I'm sure in most players' minds being sent to Dallas was like being sent to the NBA's version of Siberia.

To be honest, I didn't really appreciate Michael Finley at first. I remember I would ride the DART rail & they would have his pictures up on the train. I remember thinking to myself "Only in Dallas could the 60th best player in the league get a poster on the train". By that time I was well-versed in sports talk lingo & thought of Finley as putting up a lot of empty numbers. I gave him respect, but just watching so much Mavs basketball through the 90s you become very pessimistic & jaded. Here's another honest moment I'll share with everybody. I remember when they drafted Robert "Tractor" Traylor I was ECSTATIC!! Remember I was a huge Fab 5 fan & so I watched a lot of Traylor's game since I stayed a Michigan fan. I remember being so dejected when they said the Mavs traded Traylor for some European kid. I remember thinking "God damnit! Not another White stiff!!" I had just seen Loren Meyer & Cherokee Parks come to Dallas and spare everyone to death. Not to mention the Greg Dreilings, Martin Muursepps, and Darren Morningstars of the world. Oh & how could I forget Shawn Bradley, who was already an NBA joke by the time he got to Dallas.

The fall of 1998 I started a job working at The Ticket. I remember I came in one morning before the station opened. I was training with the board op on the morning show. I went to check my boss' mailbox and when I look up Don Nelson is standing next to me. He was about to be interviewed. I had just turned 20 at the time & I really had no appreciation for how saying something like this could get me in trouble. I was just a Mavs fan able to speak my mind. I told him to his face "I've been a Mavs fan since 1989. I've watched some bad basketball, but I'd like to personally thank you for ruining my favorite team". Nellie was actually pretty cool about it. He just chuckled and walked away. It was like 6am, so he might of still been half asleep. But, that shows you what I thought of the Dirk signing at first.

Time has allowed me to have the proper perspective. I'd obviously have something very different to say to Nellie if I got the chance to speak with him again. I also have a much deeper appreciation for players like Michael Finley. Watching those mid 1990s teams we didn't always play hard or give it our best. Finley, Nash, Dirk and some other guys too came in here & busted their ass, gave their blood, sweat & tears and gave this franchise some respect so we're not thought of as a joke of a NBA franchise like the Sacramento Kings are. Very happy Fin is still part of the Mavs family!
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #486
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@bobbykaralla: Dennis Smith Jr. is shooting 31.5 percent on 3s this season. But he's shooting 37.0 percent on catch-and-shoots, when he has his feet set etc. The tools are there. Off-the-dribble shooting can be a years-long development.

@bobbykaralla: There are mechanical things involved, but a lot of it is simply shot selection and understanding situations. Time can fix a lot of that stuff.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #487
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@redapples: Earlier in the season, Draymond Green said Dennis Smith Jr will "NEVER" dunk on him because "this isn't summer league bro" and "better luck next time?" Next time happened last night and this is what Draymond did... https://twitter.com/kg_veteran/statu...19544444739585

Old 02-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #488
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@redapples: Earlier in the season, Draymond Green said Dennis Smith Jr will "NEVER" dunk on him because "this isn't summer league bro" and "better luck next time?" Next time happened last night and this is what Draymond did... https://twitter.com/kg_veteran/statu...19544444739585
Ha yeah, that was me saying he was scared. In the words of Dirk, Draymond was a giant wienerschnitzel.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #489
Underdog

Dennis Smith Jr. receives the blessing of the BasedGod
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2018/2...llas-mavericks

Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #490
Underdog

@bobbykaralla: Rick Carlisle on Dennis Smith Jr.'s upcoming dunk contest appearance: "I have a feeling we're gonna see some things we've never seen before from a guy that's 6-3."

Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #491
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I always enjoy watching the dunk contest and 3 point shootout. The dunk contest has gone downhill a bit with all the props being used now, but I cannot wait to watch DSJ. Hopefully he makes them first try. He's got some good competition.
Nate Robinson killed the dunk Contest...i stopped watching after this crap
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #492
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

I think Zach LaVine & Aaron Gordon did an exceptional job bringing it back
Old 02-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #493
BPo001
Diamond Member

Eddie Sefko: Apparently, a posted picture on social media of Dennis Smith Jr. dunking on Wesley Matthews did not go over well in the locker room. “Uhh, that didn’t really do me too much good,” Smith said with a wry grin. “My rookie duties picked up after that.”
– via Twitter ESefko
Old 02-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #494
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

lol there is a thread on the Knicks forum called Frank the Blank. Talk about dodging a bullet.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #495
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
lol there is a thread on the Knicks forum called Frank the Blank. Talk about dodging a bullet.
Dodging a bullet isn’t enough

We dodged a bullet and instead fell on top of some good cake
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #496
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanna say I’m glad we don’t play till Friday so DSJ gets some rest and hopefully bounces back from his mini rookie slump.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #497
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I was always the tallest kid in my class, but never was interested in basketball til the 5th grade. Around that time my family moved to East Texas. Right about the time I got into hoops [and I got into it BIG time. If you ever remember those (insert name of sport here) is life t-shirts, that's how I lived my life) the Mavs were starting their painful 1990s era.

I remember a lot of talk about Roy Tarpley's suspensions. At the time I couldn't understand. Had no frame of reference for drugs, etc. I remember watching guys like Donald Hodge, Terry Davis, Doug Smith, and one of my favorite Mavericks Mike Iuzzolino. I remember being pretty stoked a few years later when I saw Randy White (the Mavs player) working out at the same gym I was at. I asked him to join our pick up game, but he politely declined.

I use to watch so much basketball back then. I remember being really upset the Mavs picked Doug Smith and not Stacey Augmon. I watched every Fab 5 game I could, and I remember being really psyched when the Mavs took Jimmy Jackson.

Imagine how excited everyone was when the Mavs picked DSJ, but he sat out most of the season. He only played in 28 games that year. Like imagine DSJ was making his season debut tomorrow night. I remember how excited I was to watch that first game Jackson played in. If my memory serves me right he hit a half court shot to beat the buzzer & it was the tease to Dale Hansen's sports segment that night.

Rocked through some pretty tough years in the mid 90s. I remember loving Tony Dumas. Popeye Jones was always fun to watch. I use to try and shoot like Sweet Lou Harris. Ultimately though it was rough watching the 3 Js get broken up. Kinda like Jim Jackson's hold out his rookie year; it was like they didn't want to be here. Back then the Dallas Mavericks were like the Sacramento Kings. Everyone thought we were a joke & I'm sure in most players' minds being sent to Dallas was like being sent to the NBA's version of Siberia.

To be honest, I didn't really appreciate Michael Finley at first. I remember I would ride the DART rail & they would have his pictures up on the train. I remember thinking to myself "Only in Dallas could the 60th best player in the league get a poster on the train". By that time I was well-versed in sports talk lingo & thought of Finley as putting up a lot of empty numbers. I gave him respect, but just watching so much Mavs basketball through the 90s you become very pessimistic & jaded. Here's another honest moment I'll share with everybody. I remember when they drafted Robert "Tractor" Traylor I was ECSTATIC!! Remember I was a huge Fab 5 fan & so I watched a lot of Traylor's game since I stayed a Michigan fan. I remember being so dejected when they said the Mavs traded Traylor for some European kid. I remember thinking "God damnit! Not another White stiff!!" I had just seen Loren Meyer & Cherokee Parks come to Dallas and spare everyone to death. Not to mention the Greg Dreilings, Martin Muursepps, and Darren Morningstars of the world. Oh & how could I forget Shawn Bradley, who was already an NBA joke by the time he got to Dallas.

The fall of 1998 I started a job working at The Ticket. I remember I came in one morning before the station opened. I was training with the board op on the morning show. I went to check my boss' mailbox and when I look up Don Nelson is standing next to me. He was about to be interviewed. I had just turned 20 at the time & I really had no appreciation for how saying something like this could get me in trouble. I was just a Mavs fan able to speak my mind. I told him to his face "I've been a Mavs fan since 1989. I've watched some bad basketball, but I'd like to personally thank you for ruining my favorite team". Nellie was actually pretty cool about it. He just chuckled and walked away. It was like 6am, so he might of still been half asleep. But, that shows you what I thought of the Dirk signing at first.

Time has allowed me to have the proper perspective. I'd obviously have something very different to say to Nellie if I got the chance to speak with him again. I also have a much deeper appreciation for players like Michael Finley. Watching those mid 1990s teams we didn't always play hard or give it our best. Finley, Nash, Dirk and some other guys too came in here & busted their ass, gave their blood, sweat & tears and gave this franchise some respect so we're not thought of as a joke of a NBA franchise like the Sacramento Kings are. Very happy Fin is still part of the Mavs family!

I remember being tight we traded Tractor Taylor away for another euro player. Ashamed to admit that now lol.

I was a big Mike Fin fan....probably to a fault at times. I may have even overrated him but he was just as good as any other 2 guard in the league aside from his handles. They were good enough to get him by at times but when his jumper wasn't falling it was a burden. Loved his game though. Especially earlier in his career when he could D it up and play on O. He was asked to do a lot here and he always did it with class.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 AM   #498
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I remember being tight we traded Tractor Taylor away for another euro player. Ashamed to admit that now lol.

I was a big Mike Fin fan....probably to a fault at times. I may have even overrated him but he was just as good as any other 2 guard in the league aside from his handles. They were good enough to get him by at times but when his jumper wasn't falling it was a burden. Loved his game though. Especially earlier in his career when he could D it up and play on O. He was asked to do a lot here and he always did it with class.

That’s the way I remember Fin too. He always has suspect handles. For someone that didn’t have an elite handle he attacked the rim a lot.

https://youtu.be/61c823s1Hwc
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #499
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say his handles were bad. They were just what kept him from being elite imo. When I think of suspect handles, I think of Messley. Fin was exciting and it's unfortunate that we have gone so long since having that at the sg. Sadly, we have had several guys, athletic wings, who couldn't take the next step in their game because of a lack of the highest level handles. Josh Howard, probably Barnes, fin. They all left another level on the table. Then we have had the tweeners that are too short to bring the rim attack like Jet.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #500
Underdog

No one wants to jump with Dennis Smith Jr.
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articl...13132_25776272

Quote:
This draft class could go down as one of the best. Jayson Tatum has been doing great things for a very good Celtics team. Lonzo Ball and Kyle Kuzma are the future of the Lakers. Josh Jackson has been sneakily fantastic in the last two months while Lauri Markkanen looks like he’s going to be every bit as good as advertised. Donovan Mitchell may have beaten Smith in the Dunk Contest, but Smith is likely going to go down as the best in-game dunker in this class.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #501
BPo001
Diamond Member

FBI probe into NCAA corruption identifies possible violations by basketball powers

At least six players were identified in the documents as receiving payments exceeding $10,000. They include Dallas Mavericks point guard Dennis Smith Jr., who received $73,500 in loans from ASM before he played for NC State;

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ken-ncaa-rules
Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #502
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking News: Water is wet

The NCAA is garbage
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #503
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
FBI probe into NCAA corruption identifies possible violations by basketball powers

At least six players were identified in the documents as receiving payments exceeding $10,000. They include Dallas Mavericks point guard Dennis Smith Jr., who received $73,500 in loans from ASM before he played for NC State;

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ken-ncaa-rules
LOL, those guys got paid a fraction of what the tax payers just shelled out for the FBI investigation...

Also, Nerlens Noel is on the list.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #504
Underdog

What will Dennis Smith Jr. show us in the final third of his rookie season?
https://www.mavs.com/will-dennis-smi...rookie-season/

@bobbykaralla:

- Wesley Matthews is shooting 43.8% from 3 following a pass from DSJ.

- Smith's FG% inside of 5 feet increased monthly from Oct-Jan.

- Smith's FT rate on drives has increased since Christmas.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #505
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Edit —> already posted above, my bad

Last edited by tap2390; 02-24-2018 at 11:40 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #506
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, not a good week for the rook. First this crazy shit going on with the franchise, and now the college scandal catches up to him as well.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #507
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LOL, those guys got paid a fraction of what the tax payers just shelled out for the FBI investigation...

Also, Nerlens Noel is on the list.
Noel was prolly offered 500k to go to Kentucky. And he turned it down looking for 700k. And settled on free cafeteria food after no other offers came.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #508
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Noel was prolly offered 500k to go to Kentucky. And he turned it down looking for 700k. And settled on free cafeteria food after no other offers came.
LOL.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #509
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

From a Rotoworld blurb that references a Sports Day article

Quote:
Dennis Smith Jr. hinted he hasn't been pleased being forced to play shooting guard over the past two games.

"It's a big difference for me," DSJ said. "Like I said, I've been playing point guard for my whole life since I've been playing basketball, so it's a huge adjustment... Everybody's saying I'm the point guard of the future -- I'm playing the two though." Smith Jr. has seriously struggled while operating at the two-spot alongside J.J. Barea, but Rick Carlisle is trying to develop his skill set. Hopefully, for DSJ owners, this experiment won't last much longer.

I hope we're not seeing a cry-baby diva attitude starting to form here. This ties into what was being talked about in the Utah game thread from the Mavs post game show about DSJ taking plays off when the ball wasn't in his hand. Sigh.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #510
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Eh I see that as him being honest with the media. We will see how the rest of the season plays out. Carlisle's mentioned as much in the past about developing his off-ball skills. Hopefully they will all move on with a professional attitude about it. I'm sure Carlisle will have a talk with him.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #511
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'm not worried about it. The Mavs and Smith have had a really bad week, and I'm sure he is as frustrated as anyone. Top that on top of the your owner admitting to tanking and well, this is the bottom.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #512
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

You guys could be right, could just be a bad attitude from frustration or "freshman" growing pains, If that's the case, then I need to see him somewhere here in the next few weeks respond with a big game, a statement like game, and have some flowery things to say about folks in the organization after the game. Something that lets us know he's back on track.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #513
tap2390
Diamond Member

DSJ needs to develop off the ball if he doesn't want to be an offense-killer. I have 0 problem with RC putting him at the two. I also have 0 problem with him being honest to the media as long as it's a statement and not a complaint or excuse.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #514
Underdog

I bet Dennis hates playing SG because Barea completely ignores him when they're on the floor together... I had this exact same conversation with Bobby Karalla on Twitter a couple weeks ago, and he said JJ had only thrown 7 assists to DSJ all season long (not sure what the number is now, but I doubt is more than a dozen).

Last edited by Underdog; 02-26-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #515
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I bet Dennis hates playing SG because Barea completely ignores him when they're on the floor together... I had this exact same conversation with Bobby Karalla on Twitter a couple weeks ago, and he said JJ had only thrown 7 assists to DSJ all season long (not sure what the number is now, but I doubt is more than a dozen).
Barea needs to go this summer in the worst way imaginable. He still plays like it means something, and it makes no sense.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that Dennis played a lot better when Barea was injured.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-26-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #516
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

I like Skin's solution he gave on the post game show. DSJ admires CP3, so show him some highlights of CP3 playing off the ball with Harden, and show him what you want him to do. I think that has a chance of helping to motivate DSJ & taking out some of the frustration by educating him too.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:34 PM   #517
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Barea gets his. Doesn’t matter who he’s on the floor with. He used to blatantly ignore Dirk, who was still in his prime, for quarters on end. He’s also a bit of a ball stopper- though better than he used to be. He’s gotten better at playing off the ball.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-26-2018 at 11:35 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #518
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with RC wanting Dennis to play off the ball some. Just not so JJ can jack shots and dominate the offense. That’s not helping us in any way
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #519
Underdog

Dennis Smith Jr.’s shooting slump, explained
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platfo...mpression=true

Old 02-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #520
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dennis Smith Jr.’s shooting slump, explained
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platfo...mpression=true
Pull up mid-range game = booty. For now.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote