Pretty darn excited. I plan to make some time to watch games and cheer 8 47.06%
Cautiously excited. Let's see how we come out of the gates 2 11.76%
Suspicious. I want to see some good things before I will care. 0 0%
Not excited at all. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2021, 05:49 PM   #521
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
If only Cuban had done something to get suspended by the league instead.... that would have been much better.
LOL, my thoughts exactly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #522
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Yep. If Rick needs to go, let the new GM decide this imo
This. Want to neuter a GM right out of the gate? ...insist the coach stays.

Last edited by turin; 06-16-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #523
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That article from the Ringer in the comments was a good read. I did not know that this was the guy responsible for turning the Nets around and refining their processes. I think it was Kevin Durant who said he chose the Nets, because he was impressed with the way they ran things, and their internal structure and processes. It also says that he has been responsible for internal promotion of employees into higher positions, so Finley might still be a possible candidate.
Yes. This one in case anyone else want to check it out.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/a...mpression=true

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #524
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

Really good read. I didn't quite get the "hiring a firm," but this makes perfect sense. I really like this move by Cuban. It's also surprising.

Maybe Cuban looks over at Jerry Jones and has decided he doesn't want to continue down that garbage road. I also think $'s played a big part in this. The Mavs aren't the Cowboys, so it's easier to damage the value of the franchise with long-term ineptitude.

Last edited by turin; 06-16-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #525
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Really good read. I didn't quite get the "hiring a firm," but this makes perfect sense. I really like this move by Cuban. It's also surprising.

Maybe Cuban looks over at Jerry Jones and has decided he doesn't want to continue down that garbage road. I also think $'s played a big part in this. The Mavs aren't the Cowboys, so it's easier to damage the value of the franchise with long-term ineptitude.

Yea. It's a great read in general but it now gives insight on what the FO is likely about to experience...in house.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #526
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Cuban can money whip him. And supposedly everyone wants to be around Luka
You think Cuban would give him ownership in the Mavs?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #527
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
You also posted this when arguing about the Josh Richardson trade. But hey Ayton was a better pick than Luka.
For the Suns yes, Ayton was a better pick for them than Luka. Luka is the better player. But Luka does not help their interior presence. I can't say that any clearer.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #528
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
No, he was fired for throwing Luka under the bus. Cuban has his own demons to answer for, no question, but not even he would be dumb enough to say those things.

If Donnie had taken part of the blame and said he needed to build a better team around Luka, then I doubt any of this happens.

Of course, maybe Donnie already knew the writing was on the wall.
I highly doubt those comments were why he got fired solely. Maybe it was the nail in the coffin but thats a very stupid reason to fire the guy that even found you Luka to begin with.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #529
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Do we even know that Donnie didn't kinda see himself out?
We don't. That scenario wouldn't shock me either.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #530
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
For the Suns yes, Ayton was a better pick for them than Luka. Luka is the better player. But Luka does not help their interior presence. I can't say that any clearer.
But cant you get an Ayton a hell of a lot easier than you can get a Luka? Seems like the obvious re-do would be.... you get Luka and slap a decent center in there anytime in the last 3 years.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #531
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They apparently hired a firm to search for GM. If they were leaning toward Finley, why go through the firm.
That games afoot.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/sta...16949026934784

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #532
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Not a fan
Old 06-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #533
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some people want to be dense.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #534
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
But cant you get an Ayton a hell of a lot easier than you can get a Luka? Seems like the obvious re-do would be.... you get Luka and slap a decent center in there anytime in the last 3 years.
If it’s that easy why can’t the Mavs slap a decent center anytime in the last 3 years? Ayton is 15/10.5 solid defense that had zero issue with Drummond and held his own with Jokic lol he’s not just a guy.

Last edited by Melonhead; 06-16-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #535
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
If it’s that easy why can’t the Mavs slap a decent center anytime in the last 3 years? Ayton is 15/10.5 solid defense that had zero issue with Drummond and held his own with Jokic lol he’s not just a guy.
I’d rather have the All NBA 1st team player, but maybe that’s just me.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #536
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I’d rather have the All NBA 1st team player, but maybe that’s just me.
Nuance in discussion is a lost art but that’s just me.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #537
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Do we even know that Donnie didn't kinda see himself out?
I think they probably politely asked him to step down and thanked him for all of his years of hard work. I think they knew they needed some change, and that's an important position in creating a team. We want to surround Luka with some talent, and all Donnie has proven is that he can find a generational European superstar every 2 decades. He's struggled to find the right pieces to surround Dirk so what makes us think it'll be any different around Luka? As a long-time Mavs fan I want to give Michael Finley a chance. He's a big part of how the organization turned around after the miserable 90s. For a while he was, in fact, the face of the franchise.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #538
DIRK LEGIONS

DIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to all

One down
One more to fire!

The LUKA COUNTDOWN CLOCK claims it first victim.
Cuban better start spending money wisely on good players and not go the has been route he often went and wasted seasons of dirk career before finally striking lighting in bottle in 2011

Tick tock
DIRK LEGIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #539
DIRK LEGIONS

DIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I think they probably politely asked him to step down and thanked him for all of his years of hard work. I think they knew they needed some change, and that's an important position in creating a team. We want to surround Luka with some talent, and all Donnie has proven is that he can find a generational European superstar every 2 decades. He's struggled to find the right pieces to surround Dirk so what makes us think it'll be any different around Luka? As a long-time Mavs fan I want to give Michael Finley a chance. He's a big part of how the organization turned around after the miserable 90s. For a while he was, in fact, the face of the franchise.

Finely reminds me of what the knicks doing to allen houston. Long time plAyer and executive with no real player evolution talent or background inside the org while working there.

Basically a mascot ambassador in no power job.

Need a real gm only got 4 more yrs of LUKA before he goes AD route and ask out!!!!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:32 PM   #540
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

24 years ago I was against us signing Donnie Nelson. Finally, he's gone.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #541
DIRK LEGIONS

Time for cuban to be a actually SHARK!!!!!

cuban has to decide which jerry he wants to be
Jerry jones who fired the coach who built his dynasty out of ego.and went 25 yrs with winning a playoff game.
Or
DR jerry buss who hire the best people to build the best team possible and enjoy 2 dynasties inside 30 yrs from 79/ to 2000s
Old 06-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #542
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
You are right.....but this initially started because people tried to knock the Suns for drafting Ayton over Luka as if it hurt them. I was simply stating that a lot of what they do now on defense is because of Ayton.

Sure you could do like the Mavs do and start a Kleber at center but it doesn't have the same impact as a Ayton.

In a re-do I think Sexton, Luka and Trae would go ahead of Ayton personally....and I'd probably do it too.

But as of right now I can't sit here and say the Suns made a mistake when they are in the WCF because of their moves.....

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 06-16-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #543
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRK LEGIONS View Post
Finely reminds me of what the knicks doing to allen houston. Long time plAyer and executive with no real player evolution talent or background inside the org while working there.

Basically a mascot ambassador in no power job.

Need a real gm only got 4 more yrs of LUKA before he goes AD route and ask out!!!!
Which former players are better options in your eyes? I think it makes sense to stick with players who in fact played with the Mavs and are passionate about the organization, even though Rick is our coach and did not play for us. I'm curious how Jason Kidd would do in a GM role, but I still stand by my words in regards to Finley.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #544
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Some people want to be dense.
Man I don't get it. I honestly don't know if Fresh is trolling or just may be slow...I don't like to assume but I don't understand how he doesn't get it.

Of course I'd take Luka over Ayton. That's not what's being discussed here. He tried to make it seem like the Suns screwed up getting Ayton because they passed up Luka/Trae.....as of now it was the right move no matter what people think.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #545
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you want to give Finley the job because he was a good player for us?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #546
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not only was Finley the face but for awhile there he wasn't even the highest paid on the team while being the best on the team. He's my favorite Mav of all time...I started watching basketball around the time of the 3 J's....then when that whole mess happened Finley was all we had and I Just thought he was incredible to watch.

I've also kept up with some of Finley's post career moves and he's become a very successful film producer.

Now does this mean he will be a great GM? No. But at the end of the day did anyone see James Jones doing for the Suns what he did in such a short span?

Hey I'd love Uriji...no doubt. I'd give him a blank check. I'm not entirely sure how possible that move is. Fin is in house and has been getting interviews. Might want to look at him before someone else does again.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #547
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I personally think Finley is more in touch with the current league than a lot of these other guys. I'm personally not for just handing him the job but as far as what's available I don't see many better options because the most realistic thing the Mavs will do is fine some unknown guy we've never heard of or a retread....Finley represents neither. He represents a fresh voice at the position.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #548
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
24 years ago I was against us signing Donnie Nelson. Finally, he's gone.
Just curious...what were your issues with him then?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:45 PM   #549
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just curious...what were your issues with him then?
I didn't think he had proven himself after only working for the Phoenix Suns. I felt like he only got the job because of his father.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:46 PM   #550
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
You are right.....but this initially started because people tried to knock the Suns for drafting Ayton over Luka as if it hurt them. I was simply stating that a lot of what they do now on defense is because of Ayton.

Sure you could do like the Mavs do and start a Kleber at center but it doesn't have the same impact as a Ayton.

In a re-do I think Sexton, Luka and Trae would go ahead of Ayton personally....and I'd probably do it too.

But as of right now I can't sit here and say the Suns made a mistake when they are in the WCF because of their moves.....

If only the new GM could go back in time and swap Richardson back for Curry LOL

Curry is absolutely killing it and his shooting is exactly what Luka needed around him
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #551
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
I feel like he has a terrific mind for basketball and will relate better with other players and will have better instincts in recognizing talent. When you draft players you can't simply go by what's on paper. Finley should do a far better job here.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #552
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I didn't think he had proven himself after only working for the Phoenix Suns. I felt like he only got the job because of his father.
Ahh I got you....but wasn't he a big voice that got Dirk here?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #553
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
If only the new GM could go back in time and swap Richardson back for Curry LOL

Curry is absolutely killing it and his shooting is exactly what Luka needed around him
SMH....I hate even thinking about it but every time I see Seth Curry hit a 3 I just get reminded of it.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #554
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ahh I got you....but wasn't he a big voice that got Dirk here?
Yes, he was. But then he struggled to get the right pieces around him. I won't say that all of his moves were bad, but I feel like Dirk deserved more than 1 ring. You're right though. If it were not for him, then we probably would not have had either Dirk or Nash. Nash kinda followed him from Phoenix to Dallas. Donnie definitely did better than I ever anticipated him doing, but for now I think we need a younger GM. We're going to be taking a big risk right now, and we'll be lucky if we find the right GM in Finley or anyone else.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:57 PM   #555
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

I'd like to add that for a while the Mavericks had the highest payroll in the league. Cuban believed in Donnie and backed his moves. At one point he quit believing, and that's when the Mavericks could not acquire any talent that wanted to play in Dallas. I hope Finley or our new GM can get Cuban excited again in losing money to create a winning team again. Also, let's be real... Cuban won't be losing money. The team has gained how much value since the time he bought it? He'll be able to sell it for a huge profit if money ever becomes a problem for him.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:39 PM   #556
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'd like to add that for a while the Mavericks had the highest payroll in the league. Cuban believed in Donnie and backed his moves. At one point he quit believing, and that's when the Mavericks could not acquire any talent that wanted to play in Dallas. I hope Finley or our new GM can get Cuban excited again in losing money to create a winning team again. Also, let's be real... Cuban won't be losing money. The team has gained how much value since the time he bought it? He'll be able to sell it for a huge profit if money ever becomes a problem for him.
Man its like a fresh new start...I hope we see it this offseason. Whoever the GM is is going to have a tough road ahead....
Old 06-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #557
DIRK LEGIONS

Quote:
Quote:
Which former players are better options in your eyes? I think it makes sense to stick with players who in fact played with the Mavs and are passionate about the organization, even though Rick is our coach and did not play for us. I'm curious how Jason Kidd would do in a GM role, but I still stand by my words in regards to Finley.

Jason kid crashed and burned in both the nets and bucks job as hc because of power moves to be hc/gm.

While kidd was a outstanding player in his own right am not risking the next 4 yrs of LUKA with someone getting OJT(on job training) as gm. Whether it kidd or finley.
Kidd /finely are guys u bring in once LUKA leaves to rebuild. God forbid

Now it win mode and u need to get the best candidate possible not dicking around or fuckery with noobs on job.

Get the African warlord here yo be prez/gm and see if he can rip someone off of picks and players in trade of kp like he did with melo by playing chicken with james dolan and knicks.

I LMFAOO when that deal went down nuggets robbed knicks.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #558
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

According to Forde’s research, the average tenure for an NBA GM is just 30 months.

Geez that's a lot of turnover
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:32 PM   #559
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's my favorite Mav of all time
Finley is my favorite Mav of all time too but I want a little more experience

He's currently the Vice President of Basketball Operations and has been in the front office for 8 years but I don't know if I really want to give the job to someone who doesn't have a track record. If Finley is even average at his job we could lose Luka
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #560
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Watching Finley highlights. Wow... if we had prime Finley with Luka. That'd be sick!

Tags
jack.kerr aucks