Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #521
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Give me some names please of guys who bring power (more than Vlad) and can be had for cheaper. Especially if you can find a guy who bats close to .300.
I don't a) think Vlad will be hitting .300 next year, b) come back for 'cheap' (define that, please), or c) hit for as much power as we're hoping for.

As for possible other names, Russell Branyan sounds interesting to me. Maybe Jose Guillen? I dunno. I'm just throwing names out based on Vlad's second half of 2010. I think you're more likely to get that Vlad than first half 2010 where he and Cruz carried the team.

Last edited by mkat; 01-31-2011 at 01:31 PM.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #522
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
I don't a) think Vlad will be hitting .300 next year, b) come back for 'cheap' (define that, please), or c) hit for as much power as we're hoping for.

As for possible other names, Russell Branyan sounds interesting to me. Maybe Jose Guillen? I dunno. I'm just throwing names out based on Vlad's second half of 2010. I think you're more likely to get that Vlad than first half 2010 where he and Cruz carried the team.
I question why you feel that way. I definitely don't. I think Vlad simply got too much burn. If you bring him back in a reduced role with regular rest I think you get the first half Vlad all year long. The first half vlad in his x amount of at bats along with all LH at bats of Napoli would be a helluva DH rotation if Young could be moved. Even with Young staying this is doable if you feel the platooned Vlad gives you more THIS year than what you would get out of Moreland (Mitch would start in AAA).

Young would get his 600+ ABs between DH, 1B, and spot starts around the infield. Napoli would get his 300+ ABs between 1B and C (likely some DH too). Vlad would get his 350+ ABs SOLELY at DH.

You lose some flexibility this way (and limit Murphy a bit more) but you provide hopefully consistent power from Vlad when in the lineup given his rest.

After this year, with another year of refinement from Moreland, you could then look at him as a permanent option at first (likely platooned with someone - possibly Napoli) or move in another direction if he has a mediocre year. Young could then be traded, cut, or kept on as the DH, depending on what other DH options are out there next year.

Basically - this gives us the best production for THIS YEAR (in my opinion) while not mortgaging the future. I absolutely think we should sign Vlad. He just has to be OK with a reduced role. If he never will be, so be it - move on. If you play him like we played him last year, he will tire out again. Rest him though and you have yourself another Thome in that he likely hits 20+ dingers in a half season of ABs.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #523
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i think he's made it clear he's not cool with a reduced role. i mean, they offered him 1yr/8mil around christmas and he said no. now maybe he gets desperate enough to sign later on...that's a possibility.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #524
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i think he's made it clear he's not cool with a reduced role. i mean, they offered him 1yr/8mil around christmas and he said no. now maybe he gets desperate enough to sign later on...that's a possibility.
He would only dream of getting 1/8 at this point. Pickins are slim. He will be lucky to pull in 1/5 now and if his options are 1/5 with Texas or 1/5 with Baltimore (but more PT with the Orioles) I personally think he would be stupid to not sign in Texas given his drop off a year ago and given his chance to win here. Maybe he is stupid (err - stubborn) and maybe it doesn't matter because Texas simply doesn't want him.

Either way, he isn't pulling in a 2/20 contract or something crazy like that. He waited too long to sign and he lost all of his power - unless he plans on sitting a year he is taking a paycut.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-31-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #525
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm disappointed that you have the Rangers' playoff record wrong. What was the 9th game we lost?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #526
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
I'm disappointed that you have the Rangers' playoff record wrong. What was the 9th game we lost?
oh scoreboard! -__-

my bad.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 AM   #527
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
I question why you feel that way. I definitely don't. I think Vlad simply got too much burn. If you bring him back in a reduced role with regular rest I think you get the first half Vlad all year long. The first half vlad in his x amount of at bats along with all LH at bats of Napoli would be a helluva DH rotation if Young could be moved. Even with Young staying this is doable if you feel the platooned Vlad gives you more THIS year than what you would get out of Moreland (Mitch would start in AAA).

Young would get his 600+ ABs between DH, 1B, and spot starts around the infield. Napoli would get his 300+ ABs between 1B and C (likely some DH too). Vlad would get his 350+ ABs SOLELY at DH.

You lose some flexibility this way (and limit Murphy a bit more) but you provide hopefully consistent power from Vlad when in the lineup given his rest.

After this year, with another year of refinement from Moreland, you could then look at him as a permanent option at first (likely platooned with someone - possibly Napoli) or move in another direction if he has a mediocre year. Young could then be traded, cut, or kept on as the DH, depending on what other DH options are out there next year.

Basically - this gives us the best production for THIS YEAR (in my opinion) while not mortgaging the future. I absolutely think we should sign Vlad. He just has to be OK with a reduced role. If he never will be, so be it - move on. If you play him like we played him last year, he will tire out again. Rest him though and you have yourself another Thome in that he likely hits 20+ dingers in a half season of ABs.
Michael Young is not an everyday first basemen and hes not any better at hitting righties than Napoli.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #528
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Michael Young is not an everyday first basemen and hes not any better at hitting righties than Napoli.
Did you read the post you quoted? When in that post did I compare Young to Napoli? When in that post did I suggest Young is an everyday 1B?

I said it would be best to trade Young, but if you couldn't, you could still fit them all into the lineup. That post was all about platooning guys.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #529
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry i cant qoute on my phone but if moreland is in triple a young and napoli are the only two guys on the roster who can play first. I love the napoli acquisition but only if hes used correctly and that roster has no chance of using him correctly
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #530
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sorry i cant qoute on my phone but if moreland is in triple a young and napoli are the only two guys on the roster who can play first. I love the napoli acquisition but only if hes used correctly and that roster has no chance of using him correctly
Exactly - Young AND Napoli... Your post above though was acting like I was suggesting Young be an everyday 1B (which he absolutely could do by the way) and I didn't say that. I was proposing using him and Napoli together there with Napoli definitely getting all of the LH ABs.

None of it matters anyway... Vlad just signed a 1-year contract for EIGHT million dollars. Very surprising considering all of the media spin on what he would likely get. I guess Baltimore really wanted to make this splash because they were competing with............wait for it...........wait for it............themselves.

Link...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-04-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #531
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Exactly - Young AND Napoli... Your post above though was acting like I was suggesting Young be an everyday 1B (which he absolutely could do by the way) and I didn't say that. I was proposing using him and Napoli together there with Napoli definitely getting all of the LH ABs.

None of it matters anyway... Vlad just signed a 1-year contract for EIGHT million dollars. Very surprising considering all of the media spin on what he would likely get. I guess Baltimore really wanted to make this splash because they were competing with............wait for it...........wait for it............themselves.

Link...
Why do you think Young can play first well? Young hasnt played any defensive position well since 2002 and his only positive defensive characteristic is his arm. Playing first largely makes that irrelevant. I think theres a legitament chance hed be Adam Dunn level bad at first which means that you really cant play him there at all.

As for Young playing first primarily against righties, Mitch Moreland is a signifigantly better hitter against right handed pitching than Michael Young. 270/314/425 with a 319 woba and a 93 wrc+ were Young's numbers against righties last year. His career line is better with a 302/346/446 line against righties for a .344 woba against righties but thats carried by a 337 babip. Basically if young doesnt hit 340 or so on balls in play against righties, his bat is below league average against righties. He was very good against righties in 2009 but was also terrible in 2008.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #532
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why do you think Young can play first well? Young hasnt played any defensive position well since 2002 and his only positive defensive characteristic is his arm. Playing first largely makes that irrelevant. I think theres a legitament chance hed be Adam Dunn level bad at first which means that you really cant play him there at all.

As for Young playing first primarily against righties, Mitch Moreland is a signifigantly better hitter against right handed pitching than Michael Young. 270/314/425 with a 319 woba and a 93 wrc+ were Young's numbers against righties last year. His career line is better with a 302/346/446 line against righties for a .344 woba against righties but thats carried by a 337 babip. Basically if young doesnt hit 340 or so on balls in play against righties, his bat is below league average against righties. He was very good against righties in 2009 but was also terrible in 2008.
I'm sorry, I didn't understand any of that. Your nerd was too loud.

In all seriousness - Young has shown in the past that he can be rather respectable against RHPs (as you pointed out, see 2009). Regarding defense, his problem is RANGE. RANGE. His RANGE wouldn't be nearly as exposed at 1B as it would anywhere else in the field. He is fine with his glove and if in front of the ball he can make the catch. He wouldn't be a gold glove caliber guy there but he wouldn't kill you either, as he has at 3B for the past couple of years.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #533
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't understand any of that. Your nerd was too loud.

In all seriousness - Young has shown in the past that he can be rather respectable against RHPs (as you pointed out, see 2009). Regarding defense, his problem is RANGE. RANGE. His RANGE wouldn't be nearly as exposed at 1B as it would anywhere else in the field. He is fine with his glove and if in front of the ball he can make the catch. He wouldn't be a gold glove caliber guy there but he wouldn't kill you either, as he has at 3B for the past couple of years.
I think well add Young's D to Youngs bat as something we simply disagree on. As for having shown an ability to be respectable, Napoli has had a season where he was very very good against righties too(2008). 270/364/590 were his numbers that year vs righties and his career woba vs righties is exactly the same at .344
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #534
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is exactly what everyone was saying when he moved to third. Even people that were very critical (rightly so) of his defense at shortstop felt he would be an average or better defensive third baseman because of his arm and his hands.

And then we found out that it wasn't just his speed that killed him, it was his quickness and reaction time. He's just not a good defensive player, and I'm not sure how anyone could watch him play third for two year and be so confident that he'd be able to dig out balls in the dirt and stop screamers from lefties (which admittedly would happen a lot less often then screamers from righties at third).

I strongly suspect that Young, if even here this seasons, is not going to be playing much first base at all, unless Moreland or Napoli gets hurt or sucks.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #535
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
(which admittedly would happen a lot less often then screamers from righties at third).

This is why. A LOT less. I think the number of opportunities of balls put in play off of bats will be half as many or close to 2/3rds less at 1B for him than at 3B. Add in that every attempt will NOT be a screamer (not even close) and the number of chances he has to F up is WAY less than at 3rd. To be so adamant about the other stance without seeing this (well, apparently you DO see it) is silly.

I strongly suspect that Young, if even here this seasons, is not going to be playing much first base at all, unless Moreland or Napoli gets hurt or sucks.

Yup - just like you thought the initial idea I had about him playing first was silly. Then the team announced it would do it. Good luck with this stance. If he stays on this team, it will be QUICKLY proven wrong. He wants to play some in the field and the few spot starts at 2B/3B wont be enough and the team has already accepted that if he stays (almost everyone has said he would get time at 1B - which is why they quickly defended the Napoli acquisition).
See above.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-05-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #536
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think well add Young's D to Youngs bat as something we simply disagree on. As for having shown an ability to be respectable, Napoli has had a season where he was very very good against righties too(2008). 270/364/590 were his numbers that year vs righties and his career woba vs righties is exactly the same at .344
5-0, here is the bottom line. If Young stays on this team he WILL take ABs away from Moreland and he WILL play 1B a decent amount (never against LHPs mind you, but still, a decent amount). It isn't always about what's the best thing the team can do but rather what the real options are and picking the best from them. There are a good 10-20 different scenarios I would have preferred than what has played out so far. That said, Young moving to 1B isn't even on the top ten of things I am most frustrated about in this offseason. I knew that if he stayed on this team that ABs from 1B would be best, but only so we could get/keep a power hitter at DH (I personally don't think he will be even remotely as exposed at 1B - again, he can catch great and the opportunities for "screamers" as thiggy puts it are much less there); however, they didn't do this.

The team agreed that having him play some first was an option but disagreed that it should be full time and instead opted to be very flexible at DH (despite a World Series run without being flexible). Considering the goal of this plan is to keep people healthy, maybe this will be a better option. I mean, sure, I see why you do it. I just think it sucks that you have to make your team less capable offensively to make up for players that can't stay on the field. Either way, Young WILL play 1B (at the expense of Moreland), Young will do it just as good as Napoli (offensively AND defensively mind you - Napoli is no world beater out there with the glove [Moreland isn't either for that matter]) and anyone that isn't accepting this is just going to be left frustrated and pissed.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-05-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #537
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yup - just like you thought the initial idea I had about him playing first was silly. Then the team announced it would do it. Good luck with this stance. If he stays on this team, it will be QUICKLY proven wrong. He wants to play some in the field and the few spot starts at 2B/3B wont be enough and the team has already accepted that if he stays (almost everyone has said he would get time at 1B - which is why they quickly defended the Napoli acquisition).
Say what? The team announced they would do it SOME. And then they refused to part with their starting first baseman for Matt Garza, acquired the perfect platoon partner for him, and announced that Young would be the DH, and get SOME at bats at infield positions.

How does that equate to them deciding to do it your way?

Obviously there's a chance that Young takes to first. But I think the team has made it very clear that they don't expect him to, and they don't expect him to play it much.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-05-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #538
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Sounding more and more that this argument is moot. Rosenthal has a source saying Young could be traded by Monday, and Victor Rojas says he's hearing it's going to happen.

This is going to be really fascinating if it happens.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 02-05-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #539
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Say what? The team announced they would do it SOME. And then they refused to part with their starting first baseman for Matt Garza, acquired the perfect platoon partner for him, and announced that Young would be the DH, and get SOME at bats at infield positions.

How does that equate to them deciding to do it your way?

Obviously there's a chance that Young takes to first. But I think the team has made it very clear that they don't expect him to, and they don't expect him to play it much.
Easy to puff your chest out and say all of this after it appears clear he is leaving... If he stays, want to make a bet about playing time at 1B? I would be happy to set the over under on 25% of the games (i.e. roughly 40 games and a platooned platoon situation). Wanna take under?

Napoli will take all starts against LHPs leaving 110-120 or so starts against RHPs. I would think Moreland gets 70-80 of those with Young getting 30-40. Wanna take the bet?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #540
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sounding more and more that this argument is moot. Rosenthal has a source saying Young could be traded by Monday, and Victor Rojas says he's hearing it's going to happen.

This is going to be really fascinating if it happens.
Yup - sorry, I didn't see you point this out before posting the last comment. Bottom line, Warsh will be forced to play Napoli or Murphy a lot more instead of the face of the franchise. We have likely lost a bit of our pop from last year, but we should get on base more and, as a result, hopefully drive in more runs.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #541
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Based on the events of today, and what Mike and the team have been saying, I'm not sure how anyone could still believe that the plan was to give Mike a healthy amount of starts at 1B.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #542
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Based on the events of today, and what Mike and the team have been saying, I'm not sure how anyone could still believe that the plan was to give Mike a healthy amount of starts at 1B.
What a silly thing to say. Michael Young changed his mind on the entire setup of being [HowCanIEmphasizeThisEnough]primarily[/HowCanIEmphasizeThisEnough] a DH due to it affecting his next paycheck. Period.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-08-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #543
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Right, because he wasn't going to play the field much. Which is what I've been saying.

Whatever, it's a silly argument, especially at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 02-08-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #544
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Will Rangers fans give Young the Nash treatment?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #545
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
He's certainly not doing himself any favors right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #546
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Right, because he wasn't going to play the field much. Which is what I've been saying.

Whatever, it's a silly argument, especially at this point.
25 percent at 1B isn't much, I will give you that, but it is more than you come off assuming he would get, and is what I suggested he would get just a couple of posts ago. He just knows spending more than half of his time at DH is going to hurt his ability to land another big contract after looking around at what happened to so many other DH-primary guys this off season. 40 games at 1B and 10 games at 2B/3B would have been 60 games in the field. That is far more than you seem to see him getting but still too few to keep his value where he wants it. So no, my argument is NOT what you have been saying.

You are right about one thing though - this is silly to even be discussing at this point. He is so gone... FYI - you can search the LSB threads for URLs so you won't repost articles in the future.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #547
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Chum, please tell me you aren't siding with this jackass. You need to read the most recent thread over at LSB.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #548
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
You are right about one thing though - this is silly to even be discussing at this point. He is so gone... FYI - you can search the LSB threads for URLs so you won't repost articles in the future.
You know, I thought I had read that entire thread. But apparently I skipped that entire section. Certainly a big fail on my part.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #549
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chum, please tell me you aren't siding with this jackass. You need to read the most recent thread over at LSB.
No, not at all. In fact, I hadn't even thought about it. Just wondering about repercussions with the fans, that's all.

I'm not positive how to get the thread at LSB, but I'm curious. What's the takeaway?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #550
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
No, not at all. In fact, I hadn't even thought about it. Just wondering about repercussions with the fans, that's all.

I'm not positive how to get the thread at LSB, but I'm curious. What's the takeaway?
OK - fair enough.

www.lonestarball.com (last two threads - a LOT of reading)

Takeaway? Dude is a fake leader, cry baby, douche, and overall scum bag for turning his back on this team considering the acquisitions that cost him his precious time at 3B (and to a lesser degree, 1B) were done to make a WS loser a potential WS winner. I highly recommend you read it all just because it shows all of the flaws in his judgment. Good riddance to this Fer.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #551
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This just goes to show that professional athletes are all alike. He isn't acting any worse than Emmitt did after winning the first Superbowl -- holding out and such. They don't get to the top without massive ego's -- then the ego gets in the way every time.

MY is what he is -- an average player now, being paid like a Superstar. He is Antoine Walker now. If he keeps going, he will be just like Antoine and out of the league in just a few short years - after several trades.

I hate that it has come to this, but it sure seems like this is exactly what it is.

** Note: I will admit that it makes Dirk seem to be very different in turning down money, etc though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #552
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
This just goes to show that professional athletes are all alike. He isn't acting any worse than Emmitt did after winning the first Superbowl -- holding out and such. They don't get to the top without massive ego's -- then the ego gets in the way every time.

MY is what he is -- an average player now, being paid like a Superstar. He is Antoine Walker now. If he keeps going, he will be just like Antoine and out of the league in just a few short years - after several trades.

I hate that it has come to this, but it sure seems like this is exactly what it is.

** Note: I will admit that it makes Dirk seem to be very different in turning down money, etc though.
I certainly get your point here, but I would be careful in lumping Smith with Young. Smith put up a HELL of a year that led to him wanting a raise and, while I fully understand the "well if you have a down year can I renegotiate with you to take more money back" thought process, he didn't want to be traded and actually was a tremendous player. Young has none of those things going for him right now. He is not a tremendous player (never was) but he strongly believes he is. That is a dangerous situation for any team to be in and it is finally blowing up in our face.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #553
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

I just have to stick my head in to randomly say YES!!!!!!!!! I just found out that I got every single game that I requested a month ago when I renewed my season mini plan from last year (it is 20 games instead of 16). It took me awhile to choose exactly what games I wanted because there were several things I wanted to accomplish. My first priority was getting opening day (which I did!) because I've never been to opening day before. Opening day is like a holiday and going to it will be amazing. Next, I wanted a lot of premier games: ones against the Red Sox and Yankees. And I got three Red Sox and two Yankees games. I also wanted a good share of Wednesday games because dollar hot dog night kicks major ***. And I'm not even a huge hot dog fan. But it's the best deal every year at the ballpark. Half of my 20 games are on Wednesdays. Next, I wanted the games to be pretty well spread out. Every month has no less than three games and no more than four. Mission: accomplished. Next, I wanted to get every division team at least twice. Got the Angels three times, and the Mariners and A's twice. Another mission accomplished. I also wanted a lot of variety. So while I did want repeats with the AL West, the Red Sox, and the Yankees...the rest of my schedule is compiled of a lot of random teams that might only come to the ballpark once during the season. And lastly, I had to mix in some interleague action, which of course includes an Astros game.

And after all that, this was my final result:

Fri April 1: Red Sox
Wed April 6: Mariners
Wed April 20: Angels

Fri May 6 : Yankees
Sat May 7: Yankees
Wed May 11: Athletics
Sat May 14: Angels

Wed June 8: Tigers
Wed June 22: Astros
Sat June 25: Mets

Wed July 6: Orioles
Fri July 22: Blue Jays
Wed July 27: Twins

Mon Aug 22: Red Sox
Wed Aug 24: Red Sox
Sat Aug 27: Angels
Wed Aug 31: Rays

Fri Sept 9: Athletics
Wed Sept 14: Indians
Sun Sept 25: Mariners
Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #554
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I just have to stick my head in to randomly say YES!!!!!!!!! I just found out that I got every single game that I requested a month ago when I renewed my season mini plan from last year (it is 20 games instead of 16). It took me awhile to choose exactly what games I wanted because there were several things I wanted to accomplish. My first priority was getting opening day (which I did!) because I've never been to opening day before. Opening day is like a holiday and going to it will be amazing. Next, I wanted a lot of premier games: ones against the Red Sox and Yankees. And I got three Red Sox and two Yankees games. I also wanted a good share of Wednesday games because dollar hot dog night kicks major ***. And I'm not even a huge hot dog fan. But it's the best deal every year at the ballpark. Half of my 20 games are on Wednesdays. Next, I wanted the games to be pretty well spread out. Every month has no less than three games and no more than four. Mission: accomplished. Next, I wanted to get every division team at least twice. Got the Angels three times, and the Mariners and A's twice. Another mission accomplished. I also wanted a lot of variety. So while I did want repeats with the AL West, the Red Sox, and the Yankees...the rest of my schedule is compiled of a lot of random teams that might only come to the ballpark once during the season. And lastly, I had to mix in some interleague action, which of course includes an Astros game.

And after all that, this was my final result:

Fri April 1: Red Sox
Wed April 6: Mariners
Wed April 20: Angels

Fri May 6 : Yankees
Sat May 7: Yankees
Wed May 11: Athletics
Sat May 14: Angels

Wed June 8: Tigers
Wed June 22: Astros
Sat June 25: Mets

Wed July 6: Orioles
Fri July 22: Blue Jays
Wed July 27: Twins

Mon Aug 22: Red Sox
Wed Aug 24: Red Sox
Sat Aug 27: Angels
Wed Aug 31: Rays

Fri Sept 9: Athletics
Wed Sept 14: Indians
Sun Sept 25: Mariners
What was your final price?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #555
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
What was your final price?
It was $100 per seat, and with other charges it came out to a total of about I think $230 or so? Not quite as cheap as last season when it was about $140 total for 16 games. But still 1000000000% worth it because it's still cheap and considering the perks that come with it.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 02-08-2011 at 08:48 AM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #556
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
It was $100 per seat, and with other charges it came out to a total of about I think $230 or so? Not quite as cheap as last season when it was about $140 total for 16 games. But still 1000000000% worth it because it's still cheap and considering the perks that come with it.
I assume you mean $10 per seat. Sounds good - nice game schedule.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #557
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
I assume you mean $10 per seat. Sounds good - nice game schedule.
I meant total for 20 games. 20 games for one seat was $100. But I guess I shouldn't have put it that way, because unlike last year not all the games are in the same seats. They are scattered among 3 or 4 different locations (all between section 340 and 343). That was the small price to pay for using the fan's choice plan.

It comes out to exactly $5 per seat before other fees.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #558
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I meant total for 20 games. 20 games for one seat was $100. But I guess I shouldn't have put it that way, because unlike last year not all the games are in the same seats. They are scattered among 3 or 4 different locations (all between section 340 and 343). That was the small price to pay for using the fan's choice plan.

It comes out to exactly $5 per seat before other fees.
Sheesh - that is crazy affordable. Especially considering you can always move down.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #559
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Sheesh - that is crazy affordable. Especially considering you can always move down.
Indeed it is. There are only a select few people who have the ability to attend every single home game in a baseball season. For the rest of us, these 10-20 game plans are perfect. And despite the fact that you often can move down, especially for the lesser attended games...I typically will just stay in the upper level because it's still a good view and there are fewer annoying fans.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #560
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Young is so butthurt, and I am so pissed at the guy... I really wish BG and I were doing a Rangers podcast tonight instead. I am amazed at this.

Here's a guy who two years ago, thought he was above the career path in the field of guys like A-Rod and Ripken.. and now he's shitting on the idea of following the path of a Paul Molitor.

When in reality he is a solid tier and a half below those guys (if not more) in talent.

This is what happens when you get to be a big fish in a small pond for your whole career, and the front office surrounds you with so many jerks and roid cases that you're the "face of the franchise" by default.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote