Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #521
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

a win is a win.

we ended on top in the Angels series, and now the White Socks series

not bad Rangers, not bad at all.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #522
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Ceej always likes to make games interesting alright.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #523
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some post game from Ozzie Guillen...

Quote:
"Anybody who pitched in this big-league game should be embarrassed," manager Ozzie Guillen said in a calm tone. "This isn't big-league baseball.

"We have people who paid a lot of money to watch this circus. [Players] making a lot of money out there have a game like that. Both sides, not just my side. It's embarrassing.
Quote:
"It's the type of game you've got to look at yourself in the mirror. You're not going to win many games with people pitching like that. From the first inning to the last inning, it was horrible."

"I don't remember if this was one of the worst games I've seen — playing, coaching or managing," Guillen said. "If someone kicks your [rear] or you kick somebody's [rear], but both teams are playing like that, it's embarrassing. I feel bad for the fans. It was 120 degrees and they were watching that [stuff]."
Excuse me, you idiot, but you were on TV all day, laughing your arse off, smiling, and joking around with people in the dugout. You didn't look too embarrassed then.

And it wasn't 120 degrees...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #524
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

it's ozzie guillen. he rarely speaks rationally.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #525
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzie's a live wire. That's just his way of telling the Rangers they shouldn't appreciate the win because they pitched like high school kids. Guarantee you if he won the game he would sing a different tune.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #526
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

And wasn't Ozzie wrapped in a blanket at one point?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #527
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but Ozzie was correct -- the pitching was awful on both sides yesterday.

He picked a bad way to say it, but nevertheless it was awful.

Cool to get the win though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #528
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
I hate to say it, but Ozzie was correct -- the pitching was awful on both sides yesterday.

He picked a bad way to say it, but nevertheless it was awful.

Cool to get the win though.
Except the Rangers rolled out with 2 scrubs, while the White Sox are loaded with quality pitchers. I think Chicago should be embarrassed, not Texas. We have an injury-riddled lineup that we are plugging in with minor league starters.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #529
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Except the Rangers rolled out with 2 scrubs, while the White Sox are loaded with quality pitchers. I think Chicago should be embarrassed, not Texas. We have an injury-riddled lineup that we are plugging in with minor league starters.
That's a pretty good point, for a dead guy.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #530
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
CJ is a scrub? He looked awful, and he is a veteran closer. I understand what you are saying, and you are correct that Chicago should be more embarrassed, but come on the pitching on both sides was pretty horrendous.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #531
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
CJ is a scrub? He looked awful, and he is a veteran closer. I understand what you are saying, and you are correct that Chicago should be more embarrassed, but come on the pitching on both sides was pretty horrendous if you didn't look at the names.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #532
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This is CJ's first full season of closing. He is not a veteran closer.

And I assume his scrub comment was directed towards Harrison and Nippert. Although the term still doesn't really fit there either.

But his point is valid.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #533
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
CJ is a scrub? He looked awful, and he is a veteran closer. I understand what you are saying, and you are correct that Chicago should be more embarrassed, but come on the pitching on both sides was pretty horrendous if you didn't look at the names.
I was talking about Harrison and Nippert who were only posting there 2nd outing professionally (3 for Nippert technically if you count that one inning in the game before). CJ is not even a veteran though too.

EDIT: jthig said it first.

Last edited by Caseman; 07-14-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #534
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This is CJ's first full season of closing. He is not a veteran closer.

And I assume his scrub comment was directed towards Harrison and Nippert. Although the term still doesn't really fit there either.

But his point is valid.
OK, let me restate -- he is a veteran pitcher (4th year in the bigs) and is Texas closer.

I still didn't think the pitching was top notch yesterday.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #535
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I agree, the pitching was bad. But Caseman is correct. We were throwing out...probably our 7th best starting pitcher, as things stand currently. So we have more of an excuse. That's all he was saying.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #536
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

kod has blown more saves than cj this season guys. I dont hold yesterday against him at all. If anyone should be ashamed of that game its tim cheetah. That was an absolute disgrace to the profession of umpiring.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #537
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

C'mon 5-0. I'm a CJ supporter, but his performance this season has not been acceptable. If he wants to be this team's closer of the future he has to do better. He's been very fortunate to only have two blown saves.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #538
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
C'mon 5-0. I'm a CJ supporter, but his performance this season has not been acceptable. If he wants to be this team's closer of the future he has to do better. He's been very fortunate to only have two blown saves.
oh, im in no way saying his performance this season has been ok. Just thats its been better than people have been acting plus. Im actually more enthusiastic about his uptick in stuff the last couple of weeks then i would be about better numbers. Most people struggle to adjust to control better stuff when they have a huge uptick like that and hes picked up 5 mph on his fastball. Since i dont care what happens this year im more concerned with progress towards the future.

Also this team has the foundation for a very good power bullpen in the future. FF2, Cj and madrigal all have BIG time arms with a big time breaking ball(or splitter in frankies case) to go with it. Add in the guys who will end up in the pen out of the starters(we have hurley, harrison, bmac, feldman, nippert and hunter who will all be in the big leagues just out of young guys next year). This teams sheer number of young pitchers with good stuff is pretty astounding and the ones with the best stuff still have a little bit to go to get here. Speaking of which it looks like we might even see feliz at some point next year.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #539
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Josh Hamilton is announcing himself to the world right now. I hope some of you guys are watching this.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #540
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #541
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

HOLY CRAP
Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #542
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, am I ever glad I was there to watch that!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #543
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Man..I seriously just about got emotional here. I'm just so happy for Josh. What a moment for him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #544
Five-ofan
Guru

holy crap. I knew his bp power was legendary but still awesome to see it on this stage.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #545
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

When I heard that story about the really old guy who was coming to pitch for him....at YANKEE STADIUM on national television, I thought "That guy's gonna screw it up for Josh"

Nope.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #546
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Regardlessof what happens now, that moment will be famours forever.

However, it would finish it off if he goes ahead and wins this thing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-14-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #547
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

And everyone was cheering "Ham-il-ton, Ham-il-ton." What a crazy moment.

Thank you Josh Hamilton, for reminding me I have sports pants, and they go crazy sometimes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #548
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Unreal
Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #549
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

<--------------sports cry

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 07-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #550
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

One of the parts I love the most is watching the rest of the best baseball players on the planet standing their looking just as awestruck as I am.

Unreal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #551
mary
Troll Hunter

You know Yankee fans will now be counting the years, months, and days until Josh Hamilton is in pinstripes.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #552
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
You know Yankee fans will now be counting the years, months, and days until Josh Hamilton is in pinstripes.
That will never, ever happen. Book it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #553
Caseman
Golden Member

The Vasquez trade was a mistake.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #554
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The Vasquez trade was a mistake.
Hmmm. I'm not familiar with a Vasquez trade.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #555
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Hmmm. I'm not familiar with a Vasquez trade.
It happened right before the Volquez debacle.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #556
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
It happened right before the Volquez debacle.
Makes sense, because Volquez was not a debacle.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #557
chumdawg
Guru

This is making me nerrrrrvious!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #558
mary
Troll Hunter

Awww man...this gonna be totally anti-climatic!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #559
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

He's drained. This is what I was afraid of after the first round.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #560
chumdawg
Guru

That sucked the life right out of the building.