Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #521
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The case for "rationalization" or "revisionist history" (and I'm not saying you said those things) would be a lot more compelling if his actions weren't entirely consistent with the idea.

If people (again, not you) want to think it's just a coincidence that Cuban skipped one particular FA meeting out of three--even though all three of them happened at the same time of year, and he's been on Shark Tank all three times--I find that curious. I find it especially curious because, as you point out, many of his comments well before the meeting hinted at disagreement among the FO. He made no similar comments before the latter two FA meetings, which he attended.

*edit* Would also note that the "revisionist history" comment to which BG responded was accusing people in this thread--not Cuban himself--of revisionist history right now. Hence BG's response that it's not exactly revisionist history when the information is several years old and contemporaneous with the event.
Ah, fair enough on the last paragraph.

Ironically, I both agree and disagree with you on this subject.

First you said this:
Quote:
As I understand it, Cuban didn't want Deron. Donnie and/or Rick did. Cuban's staying at Shark Tank was subterfuge. Notice how he's been there in person for the two big FA meetings since.
I don't think you meant it quite like you stated it here. I don't believe for a second that not going was out and out subterfuge. (Although I now realize that you may just mean that he used Shark Tank as a reason to not go, not that he was intentionally sabotaging the meeting)

I think this more nuanced argument is probably pretty close to the truth:

Quote:
Sure they would have. Cuban was willing to pay the dough if the guy said yes, or else he would have just told Donnie and Rick, "No, I'm not meeting with them and neither are you." He was willing to defer to his lieutenants, he just wasn't sold enough to attend the meeting himself.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-11-2014 at 10:31 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #522
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people arguing over whether Cuban wanted Deron Williams?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #523
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't see your earlier post, jthig32.

I can tell you for a fact, a high-ranking official confirmed that the interest in Deron was not fully sincere.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #524
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Ah, fair enough on the last paragraph.

Ironically, I both agree and disagree with you on this subject.

First you said this:

I don't think you meant it quite like you stated it here. I don't believe for a second that not going was out and out subterfuge. (Although I now realize that you may just mean that he used Shark Tank as a reason to not go, not that he was intentionally sabotaging the meeting)

I think this more nuanced argument is probably pretty close to the truth:
Yeah, that was just a poor usage of the word subterfuge on my part.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #525
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #526
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cause we're giant Mavs nerds and we're bored.

(Or is that just me?)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #527
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cause we're giant Mavs nerds and we're bored.

(Or is that just me?)
Co-signed. My Friday nights ain't what they used to be, both happily and sadly.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #528
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because 11pm Sunday.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #529
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Didn't see your earlier post, jthig32.

I can tell you for a fact, a high-ranking official confirmed that the interest in Deron was not fully sincere.
And again, I completely believe you. And I tend to agree that all the signs point to the fact that it wasn't, to a certain extent. But I don't think the fact that this person told you that makes it "fact".

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #530
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

If it was Cubans fault that Deron went from 50:50 to 51:49 for the Nets then it was the best thing ever...

Deron Williams with glass ankles
$19,754,465
$21,042,800
$22,331,135
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #531
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure Cuban had some doubts about Williams, but he ultimately approved a max contract offer to him. Knowing Cuban's personality I don't think he was bullied into this decision by Donnie or Carlisle. So to now say Cuban didn't want Derron and THAT's why he missed the meeting is a bit revisionist.

Anyway, I'm 99% sure Houston matches on Parsons. Not sure what the Mavs do now with all this financial flexibility.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #532
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Was he restricted? I remember the part where he gave Cuban time to match, but I thought he was totally free
He probably was. Cuban seems to like to let all of his players get to free agency. Now that is a philosophy of Cuban.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-12-2014 at 01:09 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #533
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because it's a very natural human reaction to rationalize how much you wanted something in the first place when you don't get it.
True... I can just hear cubes now saying he really didn't want parsons at that cost, but was just messing with Houston after they match.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #534
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Morey strong-armed Clint Capela into playing overseas to clear the cap space of a first-rounder because he was so certain Bosh would sign. Now that Bosh isn't coming, Morey now having to negotiate a buy-out to bring Capela in for next-years roster.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=268&f=2144&t=12984794

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-12-2014 at 01:35 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #535
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Wow! Morey strong-armed Clint Capela into playing overseas to clear the cap space of a first-rounder because he was so certain Bosh would sign. Now that Bosh isn't coming, Morey now having to negotiate a buy-out to bring Capela in for next-years roster.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=268&f=2144&t=12984794

I'm not sure i like a lot of Morey's actions in the last couple of years. He's hell bent on turning that roster into a contender, and doesn't really care who's neck he has to step on to get there (Lin, Capela?). Regardless, i really don't think McHale is the answer for them. It looks like with him they simply can't implement a defensive culture that's needed to win in the NBA.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 07-12-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 AM   #536
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

So, Murphy is REALLY arguing with BG who is right? That BG who has insider information like we all know and are thankful for? Wow...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #537
dude1394
Guru

Why shouldn't Murphy argue with BG?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #538
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
So, Murphy is REALLY arguing with BG who is right? That BG who has insider information like we all know and are thankful for? Wow...

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-12-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Knock it off with the personal attacks, Murph.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #539
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's unpopular on this board to say anything negative about the mavs brain trust, but they're been a group of bumbling idiots the past three years for the most part. Perhaps they're starting to turn it around, but that is yet to be seen. They literally were convinced that they were the smartest guys in the room when it came to the CBA. And it bit them in the rear. They've yet to recover and they've pissed away three years of Dirk's career. The window is closing..

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-12-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #540
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

It's incredible how all nuance is lost on you.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #541
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I'm not sure i like a lot of Morey's actions in the last couple of years. He's hell bent on turning that roster into a contender, and doesn't really care who's neck he has to step on to get there (Lin, Capela?). Regardless, i really don't think McHale is the answer for them. It looks like with him they simply can't implement a defensive culture that's needed to win in the NBA.
Photoshopping Melo into Lin's jersey was absolutely classless.

And I'm glad they keep McHale for that very reason. He just doesn't understand coaching fundamentals.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #542
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I know it's unpopular on this board to say anything negative about the mavs brain trust, but they're been a group of bumbling idiots the past three years for the most part. Perhaps they're starting to turn it around, but that is yet to be seen. They literally were convinced that they were the smartest guys in the room when it came to the CBA. And it bit them in the rear. They've yet to recover and they've pissed away three years of Dirk's career. The window is closing..
Yeah, getting Ellis for $8 million a year was stupid. . . . . .

Having a great relationship with Dirk so he will take a massive pay cut is stupid . . . . . . .

What a bunch of idiots. I guess we were just lucky in 2011.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-12-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Too much cowbell
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #543
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion. Have at it with the mudslinging.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-12-2014 at 10:53 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #544
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Our front office also completely trashed Houston's finances this year. What a bunch of bumbling idiots we have.

I don't know you personally, but you'd trade life situations with BG any day. Jealous much?

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-12-2014 at 09:49 AM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #545
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

We're talking about an operation run by a man whose father (and presumably mentor) famously said, with regard to speaking truths to reporters, "If my lips are moving, I'm lying."

Um, no. The "fact" that a high-up said something to BG or any other reporter does not at all make that something true.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #546
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

@espn_macmahon: Hearing that Rockets are having advanced talks with Luol Deng and Trevor Ariza. Good sign for Mavs re: Chandler Parsons.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #547
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
@espn_macmahon: Hearing that Rockets are having advanced talks with Luol Deng and Trevor Ariza. Good sign for Mavs re: Chandler Parsons.
Luol Deng could play the 4 for them? Not sure if this is their thinking.. I wouldn't want to pay luxury tax money for that team... but you never know with Morey running the show.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #548
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How can they be in "advanced talks" with both Deng AND Trevor Ariza? I'm skeptical.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #549
Kante
Diamond Member

@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources say Rockets appear to be out in pursuit of Luol Deng but remain in the hunt to try to sign Trevor Ariza away from Wizards
Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #550
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources say Rockets appear to be out in pursuit of Luol Deng but remain in the hunt to try to sign Trevor Ariza away from Wizards
This makes me think Parsons 60/40 in favor of Mavs. Best I can do in the optimism dept.

36 hrs remaining...

Last edited by Melonhead; 07-12-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #551
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
How can they be in "advanced talks" with both Deng AND Trevor Ariza? I'm skeptical.

I don't think that necessarily means that they're going to sign both players. It just means that they're (presumably) deep into negotiations with each of them.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #552
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Deng is almost locked up with Miami.

Knowing Morey and his complex with Cuban i wouldnt me surprised at all if the Rockets would sign Ariza before sunday AND match Parsons. Just to screw with the Mavs but sell it as asset keeping/collection and trading one of them later (even Parsons have the kicker and can veto in the first year). But Morey had also no problem to keep an unhappy Asik for a year.

Good luck Lance is still out there and i have a feeling Lance would prefer us over the Pacers. I think Montas development is a key factor there
Old 07-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #553
Kante
Diamond Member

Woj: Expect Houston to push a decision on matching the Chandler Parsons offer sheet w/ Dallas until deadline on late Sunday night.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #554
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

At this point I think i'd prefer to get Lance over Ariza or Deng. He can play small forward and 2-guard. He'd be a good fit with Ellis because he can guard whoever the teams best wing is. If it's the Rockets, he can guard Harden. If it's OKC, he can guard Durant.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #555
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
This makes me think Parsons 60/40 in favor of Mavs. Best I can do in the optimism dept.

36 hrs remaining...

Yeah, i don't think they can afford either of those guys if they match Parsons, nor would they want to, since all three players play the same position.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 07-12-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #556
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Woj: Expect Houston to push a decision on matching the Chandler Parsons offer sheet w/ Dallas until deadline on late Sunday night.
Wouldnt expect anything different from them. 34.5 hours remain.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #557
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
Yeah, getting Ellis for $8 million a year was stupid. . . . . .

Having a great relationship with Dirk so he will take a massive pay cut is stupid . . . . . . .

What a bunch of idiots. I guess we were just lucky in 2011.
be nice -Erica

Ellis was demanding 12m per, didnt get what he wanted, and fired his agent.
Meanwhile we locked up Harris for 3m per, with no room to sign a 12m player.
Harris hurts a toe, salary reduced.
Ellis becomes humble realizing he cant get 12m, and accepts an 8m contract.
Mavs are luckier than a leprechaun to land that deal.
You can bank Ellis opts out to get a bigger contract, wherever that may be.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-12-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #558
sefant77
Guru

After all the lottery years in GS and the weird year in Milwaukee Monta knows what he has in Dallas. Yeah hes gonna opt out because he is underpaid but pretty sure Mavs are able to keep him anyway and i think the FO wouldnt have hard feelings if he opts out and ask for 12-14m. We can spend our cap again next summer and then re-sign Monta and everyone is happy.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #559
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I may not agree with everything that Murphy says but at least he HAS an opinion and he isn't afraid to express it
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #560
BGMaverick9
Guru

The Rockets still have space to work with, based on their trades. If they REALLY wanted to, they could sign Ariza or player x to a deal and still match on Parsons. That seems relatively weird to do, but it would definitely counter the sticking by the Mavs by sticking the Mavs, themselves.

Of course, it could easily just mean that they might be passing on Parsons and decide to move on.

Both are valid.

Tags
is this clutchfans.net?, nonclutchfans.net