Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #521
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
so let's say that no other offers came along and the T'Wolves buckled and took on some contracts. we get Jeffferson for picks, Damp and dump some contracts. don't we still have AJ playing C/PF? it was a question of value? dumping the contracts allows for other upgrades, i guess? still it's strange to say "we don't want AJ, he's a liability in the middle. oh you'll take Carroll's contract? deal!" he's not suddenly less a liabilty...
Taking back contracts open up the budget for further moves. It's all about ROI and furture budget considerations. No one's saying that Jefferson wouldn't have helped at all. But he wouldn't have helped enough to cash in all of your trade chips and max out your budget for the foreseeable future.

And I've seen conflicting reports on whether Dallas was willing to send two first round picks along with DUST even if they would have taken Carroll and/or Stevenson.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #522
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Taking back contracts open up the budget for further moves. It's all about ROI and furture budget considerations. No one's saying that Jefferson wouldn't have helped at all. But he wouldn't have helped enough to cash in all of your trade chips and max out your budget for the foreseeable future.

And I've seen conflicting reports on whether Dallas was willing to send two first round picks along with DUST even if they would have taken Carroll and/or Stevenson.
i liked the Chandler deal. i see the value in that. i dont agree w/ overpaying and spending all trade chips either. but even if we had done the deal we'd have a few left(Caron is a big expiring, Roddy, Dojo). unless we land a CP or Carmelo type, which is extremely unlikely, we're probably 2 moves away anyway. does OJ Mayo, Iggy, Granger, Rudy Gay, Kaman, J-Rich, Montae Ellis, etc. put us over the top? probably not. i'd love Granger or Mayo btw. but they will cost more than expiring contracts.
i understand spending wisely and responsibly. but we're more than likely looking at 2 moves for 2nd tier players. "almost" all-stars. pairing another top 10 or 20 player w/ Dirk looks less and less likely...
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #523
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
so let's say that no other offers came along and the T'Wolves buckled and took on some contracts. we get Jeffferson for picks, Damp and dump some contracts. don't we still have AJ playing C/PF? it was a question of value? dumping the contracts allows for other upgrades, i guess? still it's strange to say "we don't want AJ, he's a liability in the middle. oh you'll take Carroll's contract? deal!" he's not suddenly less a liabilty...
The issue for the Mavs imo began with the issue of whether the acquisition of Jefferson could get them over the top. The Damp-picks package - used on any player - would have added so much payroll and removed the use of picks from future trades that they would have been making a defacto commitment that this player was the answer.

And in large part because he would have been a backup player behind Dirk, they concluded that AJ was NOT the missing piece but merely a modest addition to their ability. As a result, their negotiations were about lessening the financial and asset commitment in a way that would have allowed them to make another even bigger trade when it became available.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #524
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Well you are assuming the Mavs HAVE to change in order to win a title. We almost won a title playing just like this and had the refs (sorry, I will never forgive them for that shit) not turned a sure Mavs game 3 victory into a total joke we would have won that series and this conversation would never have happened.
Well yea...I do. We did make it once, but we've not been anywhere near competitive since. So yea it seems that the plan needs changing.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #525
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

The smart thing to do is to change. Change to developing a plan that involves patience. Change from a program that doesn't try a one year plan to get us over the top every year but focus's on a multi year plan. We are too far off to make a one year plan anything but a long shot. Those one year pla ns have done nothing but extend the time required for that change farther into the future. Just think where we would be right now if that multi year plan had been implimented two or three years ago.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #526
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Well yea...I do. We did make it once, but we've not been anywhere near competitive since. So yea it seems that the plan needs changing.
Barring Roddy OR Dojo becoming a legit star in the next year or two, I tend to think this is correct (if a championship is what they're after).

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 07-20-2010 at 05:01 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #527
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord View Post
The issue for the Mavs imo began with the issue of whether the acquisition of Jefferson could get them over the top. The Damp-picks package - used on any player - would have added so much payroll and removed the use of picks from future trades that they would have been making a defacto commitment that this player was the answer.

And in large part because he would have been a backup player behind Dirk, they concluded that AJ was NOT the missing piece but merely a modest addition to their ability. As a result, their negotiations were about lessening the financial and asset commitment in a way that would have allowed them to make another even bigger trade when it became available.
This is what it boils down to, and why I'm glad the Mavs didn't roll the dice on Jefferson. We can argue until we're blue in the face about whether or not Jefferson is a center (even though it's perfectly clear that he isn't ) but the bottom line is that he wasn't worth his price tag. Trading DUST for Jefferson would've left us with very little flexibility, and we'd essentially be left pinning our hopes on the idea that adding Jefferson alone would make us title contenders again. Frankly, I don't think adding Jefferson would have done that (or even close, really) and apparently the Mavs agree. The Mavs concluded that Jefferson was not the basket they should put all of their eggs in. I'm glad they made that decision.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 07-20-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #528
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I'm glad they made that decision.
I'm withholding judgment on their letting Al Jefferson go until I see what they bring in at the deadline.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #529
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I'm withholding judgment on their letting Al Jefferson go until I see what they bring in at the deadline.
I'm not, because whether the Mavs get nothing at the deadline, or they trade DUST for Jefferson, they're still not title contenders. It's still time to start the rebuilding process in 1-2 years. This way, at least we're not stuck with a bad contract.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #530
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I'm not, because whether the Mavs get nothing at the deadline, or they trade DUST for Jefferson, they're still not title contenders. It's still time to start the rebuilding process in 1-2 years. This way, at least we're not stuck with a bad contract.
Personally, I would have loved the idea for the future of a young 20/10 post scoring PF paired with Roddy...

Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #531
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Personally, I would have loved the idea for the future of a young 20/10 post scoring PF paired with Roddy...
That's a pretty good point. Still, if you're going to rebuild, being under the cap is always a good place to start.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #532
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would like that future too, but if you chose to go that route with the one offer that Minnesota wanted, then you cripple the team in the present. I honestly believe that this team potentially has moves which can be made at the trade deadline that would make them a serious contender, and so does the front office. If there is still that possibility of a contender status, if there is still a possibility of winning that championship, you have to go for it. How do you know that Jefferson/Roddy can win you one later? You don't. Jefferson could blow out another ACL and never be more than a 8/6 guy backup 5.

What we do know? That Chandler gives us the option of become a contender, if we can work out one of the several trades that should present itself at the trade deadline. We can't guarantee that in the future, but as of right now, we are a step away, a trade away, from attaining that contender status that's we've been striving for.

We've got a chance here in the present, and if you've got that chance, then you don't give it up and hope that everything works out for the good in the future. Its cliche, but its true: you never know what the future holds.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #533
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I would like that future too, but if you chose to go that route with the one offer that Minnesota wanted, then you cripple the team in the present. I honestly believe that this team potentially has moves which can be made at the trade deadline that would make them a serious contender, and so does the front office. If there is still that possibility of a contender status, if there is still a possibility of winning that championship, you have to go for it. How do you know that Jefferson/Roddy can win you one later? You don't. Jefferson could blow out another ACL and never be more than a 8/6 guy backup 5.

What we do know? That Chandler gives us the option of become a contender, if we can work out one of the several trades that should present itself at the trade deadline. We can't guarantee that in the future, but as of right now, we are a step away, a trade away, from attaining that contender status that's we've been striving for.

We've got a chance here in the present, and if you've got that chance, then you don't give it up and hope that everything works out for the good in the future. Its cliche, but its true: you never know what the future holds.
Let us also not forget that getting Jefferson would've cost 2 first rounders AND they wouldn't have taken back Carrol's contract (the latter part being why the Mavs refused the deal.)

Sure Roddy and Jefferson would be a good young pair to start rebuilding around, but it's pretty damn hard to rebuild when you have no draft picks and you're over the cap.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #534
sike
The Preacha

see post 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post

Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #535
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's a pretty good point. Still, if you're going to rebuild, being under the cap is always a good place to start.
IMO rebuilding means stripping it to the bones, not halfway rebuilding. Once our superstar is gone, it's time to become the worst team in the league for about two years, stockpiling draft picks (cubes can buy quite a few more) and hope for another superstar...or trade all of that young talent for one.

We aren't there yet...My desires are well known, I don't think the conversations have changed my mind really.

But what else is new?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #536
dude1394
Guru

I fail to see how a team who will be drafting 25+ draft picks are really worth that much, even as trade bait. The mavs can always buy one and throw it into a trade I imagine.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #537
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
IMO rebuilding means stripping it to the bones, not halfway rebuilding. Once our superstar is gone, it's time to become the worst team in the league for about two years, stockpiling draft picks (cubes can buy quite a few more) and hope for another superstar...or trade all of that young talent for one.
Which is exactly why it's good that we're not stuck with Jefferson.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #538
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Quote:
I fail to see how a team who will be drafting 25+ draft picks are really worth that much, even as trade bait. The mavs can always buy one and throw it into a trade I imagine.
In an objective sense, Mavs draft picks shouldn't have a high value. And in terms of what they are likely to obtain, they don't. But as odd as it sounds, it's disproportionately a really big deal when you trade them away even though they are of dubious value.

The problem is three-fold:

1. If you are trading with a team who is willing to throw in the towel and give you talent-for-savings, they'll always want picks. Even lousy ones. Why? Because to their fans, they are the unopened package that holds hope and can sell some tickets based on being better in the future.

No picks? You might get turned away from the bidding.

2. While you can replace them for your own purposes at draft time, you can't really buy them to have for a trade, because they're only sold at the last minute. I can't recall a team ever buying a pick from one team to pop into a trade with another.

So when you trade away picks - especially in pairs - it takes quite a long time before you're back on top of the draft pick situation and able to include a pick in a trade. In the meantime, you're stuck in "no pick to trade" land.

3 In addition, you never know how long you'll be tied up. Is there a year out of the next 4-5 when Dirk gets injured, or retired, and the Mavs have their opportunity to "tank for Duncan" like the Spurs did? If your picks are out there floating around, it can make a bad situation worse, so you put lottery protection on them. But then if they slide to year 5 from the lottery protection, how good are we expecting the Mavs to be in 2015 assuming Dirk and Kidd are both retired? Do you want someone having waited to be cashing the pick THEN? And in the meantime, the inability to trade picks lasts longer and longer and longer.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #539
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Great post DLord.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #540
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

is there actually a single player who may actually come available that would make us instant contenders, i.e. top 3 or 4 team in the league? we all agree on CP& Carmelo. extreme long shots both. where is the cutoff? Iggy, Kaman, Granger? maybe Granger depending on what we give up to get him would be enough. he would be a legit #2 scorer to pair w/ Dirk.
alot of the stars were locked-up this summer. next summer's free-agency class is pretty weak. i think it's a really small list, in reality. i mean it's great to have continued flexibility. i hope we do have a shot at a CP or Granger. but we'll have alot of competition from other teams if those guys ever do wind up on the market.
if part of the plan(dream) is to package Chandler w/ some combination of assets from among Roddy, Caron, DeShawn, picks(Jet?)- wouldn't it have behooved the FO to use the MLE on another swingman scorer? there were quite a few available...
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #541
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
In an objective sense, Mavs draft picks shouldn't have a high value. And in terms of what they are likely to obtain, they don't. But as odd as it sounds, it's disproportionately a really big deal when you trade them away even though they are of dubious value.

1. If you are trading with a team who is willing to throw in the towel and give you talent-for-savings, they'll always want picks. Even lousy ones. Why? Because to their fans, they are the unopened package that holds hope and can sell some tickets based on being better in the future.

2. While you can replace them for your own purposes at draft time, you can't really buy them to have for a trade, because they're only sold at the last minute. I can't recall a team ever buying a pick from one team to pop into a trade with another.

So when you trade away picks - especially in pairs - it takes quite a long time before you're back on top of the draft pick situation and able to include a pick in a trade. In the meantime, you're stuck in "no pick to trade" land.

3 In addition, you never know how long you'll be tied up. Is there a year out of the next 4-5 when Dirk gets injured, or retired, and the Mavs have their opportunity to "tank for Duncan" like the Spurs did? If your picks are out there floating around, it can make a bad situation worse, so you put lottery protection on them. But then if they slide to year 5 from the lottery protection, how good are we expecting the Mavs to be in 2015 assuming Dirk and Kidd are both retired? Do you want someone having waited to be cashing the pick THEN? And in the meantime, the inability to trade picks lasts longer and longer and longer.
Thanks for the response....I had not thought about the Duncan "move" but that is sort of playing scared it seems to me but I understand it. The mavs have been giving away their picks for quite a while now however so they must not fear that scenario that much.

And the pair concept is interesting because you can certainly trade away next years easily and pick up another one if you want to pay for it.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #542
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all
Smile

Quote:

Mav's picks at 25 don't have a high value? I think the last 2 picks at 25 have a reasonably high value. If the Mav's keep making selections like they have the last 2 years at 25, they'll be able to stock up on some good talent for the future.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #543
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Mav's picks at 25 don't have a high value? I think the last 2 picks at 25 have a reasonably high value. If the Mav's keep making selections like they have the last 2 years at 25, they'll be able to stock up on some good talent for the future.
I don't think that's Dlord's point. And the mavs can have all of the 20+ picks they want, they can buy them all day long. So they aren't that valuable it would seem to me. They can trade their pick and buy someone elses...voila.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #544
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
----------------------------- But then if they slide to year 5 from the lottery protection, how good are we expecting the Mavs to be in 2015 assuming Dirk and Kidd are both retired? Do you want someone having waited to be cashing the pick THEN? And in the meantime, the inability to trade picks lasts longer and longer and longer.
Youj make very good points except for the fact that you include Kidd in the conversation with Dirk. Including Kidd in the window of opportunity was the reason that the window was so small in the first place. You can rebuild and maintain a good team by combining youth with experience. When they created a window that was geared to Kidd it narrowed it to two years so the plan was to acquire vets who would put us over the top now. This procluded the lack of development of younger players who supposidly would not be ready until the window closed. Dirk is far younger and has a bigger window than Kidd. I suspect that Kidds window has already closed. Free agents reconize this and that is why they are not flocking to Dallas. RC hire was another example to this mind set. He is not a developmental coach but relies on vets. Which is why certain tired old retreads were and are still on the team.

Cuban through trading for Kidd and resigning him commited himself to the Kidd window time frame. I think he is beginning to realize it's failed and has no future. Too many fans due to sentimentality refused to see that Kidd rather than being the savior would in fact be considered a libility if he was still placed in the role of an important piece to be built around. Dirk still has some peak years left and his window is still open. It is unfortunate the time that was waisted on the immediacy of the Kidd window.

Kidd and most others in the NBA recognize that his role on the team must deminish for the good of the team. Isn't it time that his along with certain other Mav fans realize this also.

Last edited by wilmtalk; 07-21-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #545
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
Youj make very good points except for the fact that you include Kidd in the conversation with Dirk. Including Kidd in the window of opportunity was the reason that the window was so small in the first place. You can rebuild and maintain a good team by combining youth with experience. When they created a window that was geared to Kidd it narrowed it to two years so the plan was to acquire vets who would put us over the top now. This procluded the lack of development of younger players who supposidly would not be ready until the window closed. Dirk is far younger and has a bigger window than Kidd. I suspect that Kidds window has already closed. Free agents reconize this and that is why they are not flocking to Dallas. RC hire was another example to this mind set. He is not a developmental coach but relies on vets. Which is why certain tired old retreads were and are still on the team.

Cuban through trading for Kidd and resigning him commited himself to the Kidd window time frame. I think he is beginning to realize it's failed and has no future. Too many fans due to sentimentality refused to see that Kidd rather than being the savior would in fact be considered a libility if he was still placed in the role of an important piece to be built around. Dirk still has some peak years left and his window is still open. It is unfortunate the time that was waisted on the immediacy of the Kidd window.

Kidd and most others in the NBA recognize that his role on the team must deminish for the good of the team. Isn't it time that his along with certain other Mav fans realize this also.
Sorry you aren't able to watch the Mavs games.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #546
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Well this is certainly just great to hear.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/21/c...in-mix-for-te/

Quote:
Colangelo: Tyson Chandler 'Not in Shape' but Still in Mix for Team USA

7/21/2010 11:50 PM ET By Chris Tomasson

Tyson ChandlerLAS VEGAS -- Missing 62 of one's past 126 NBA regular-season games is usually not the best preparation for USA Basketball.

Then again, when you're a 7-foot-1 shot blocker and big men on your team are disappearing faster than money in local slot machines, it doesn't hurt you as much.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo is aware of what's befallen center Tyson Chandler, who has battled ankle problems the past two seasons. But Colangelo, as Team USA prepares for next month's World Championship in Turkey, is willing to look past much of that because Chandler is the tallest player in training camp here and provides a much-needed skill.

"He's not in shape, it appears now,'' Colangelo said on Wednesday's second day of camp about Chandler, traded last week from Charlotte to Dallas. "And it's been a while since he's really competed because of his injuries. ... (Chandler needs) to get himself in real shape. His opportunity is enhanced (to make the team) because of what he does. If he's on, he can block shots.''

With five big men (LaMarcus Aldridge, Al Jefferson, Amar'e Stoudemire, Robin Lopez and David Lee) having dropped out in the past week, Team USA is down to six post men of the 19 players in camp. But 6-10 Kevin Love, 6-10 Lamar Odom and 6-9 Jeff Green aren't shot-blocking centers.

Colangelo said at least one of the three centers in camp -- Chandler, New Jersey's 7-foot Brook Lopez and Washington's 7-foot JaVale McGee -- is assured of making the team. It's not out of the question two will.

"Lopez and Chandler and McGee, somebody has to come out of that,'' said Colangelo, who said there are no current plans to invite any other big men to camp despite all the defections. "You want a shot blocker in the international game because the ball is alive on the rim and you can swat it around a little bit. Chandler, that's one thing he can do.''

Projected over a 36-minute average, Brook Lopez (1.9) and Chandler (1.8) have similar NBA career blocked-shot averages. McGee's is a whopping 3.0, but the 22-year-old is still very raw, making him a long shot to make the team.

While with New Orleans, Chandler missed 31 of the last 44 regular-season games and one of five playoff games in 2008-09 due to left ankle problems. After undergoing surgery last summer and being traded to Charlotte, Chandler played in just 51 games last season. But he says he now feels the best he has in a while.

"I'm really good,'' said Chandler, sporting a full beard in camp that gives him a Grizzly Adams look. "I've been training since two weeks out of the season, and I've been progressing and going forward. I feel obviously better than at any point during (last) season. I feel the best that I have in a while.''

Colangelo still doesn't believe Chandler is in that good of shape, although he said it will take a while before the team in general comes together. Colangelo said it will be as if "training camp is going to go right through the first game in Turkey.''

That game is Aug. 28. If Chandler is still around then, he will have made the team since the final roster must be turned in Aug. 26.

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 07-22-2010 at 12:03 AM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #547
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
Well this is certainly just great to hear.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/21/c...in-mix-for-te/
I would definitely prefer him to come in shape and avoid negative press, sure, but he probably just took a great deal of time off to get healthy. I am not that worried about this as he should be able to get back into shape pretty fast.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-22-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #548
wilmtalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Sorry you aren't able to watch the Mavs games.
Sorry you arn't able to comprehend a situation until after it's far too late to correct.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #549
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
I would definitely prefer him to come in shape and avoid negative press, sure, but he probably just took a great deal of time off to get healthy. I am not that worried about this as he should be able to get back into shape pretty fast.
From Cuban's Twitter:

"talked to our folks out at USA Basketball. Says Tyson is doing great. Feeling great. ready to go..Go get em TC"
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #550
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Chandler looked really good in the USA showcase game last night. I have a feeling that RC is going to think twice many nights on giving the guaranteed starter role to Haywood.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #551
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

LOL reading the first page of this thread, everyone was all "this is just the first step of the REAL deal at the deadline right, RIGHT?????????????"

It wasn't so bad.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #552
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Clearly some of you have not watched Chandler play lately. He is, in no way, shape, or form, a better basketball player than Dampier. In addition to constantly being hurt, (Bobcats fans nicknamed him PussyFoot), he couldn't even get pt over Theo "50 years old" Ratliff and Nazr Muhammad. Chandler is not a good center anymore.
The gift that keeps on giving.

I mean...CLEARLY some of you have not watched Chandler play lately...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #553
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post

+rep

It's important during the holiday season
I know it can easily go back with retrospect but Chandler showed he was healthy in the first place or he wouldn't have been traded. He's mentioned that he was battling injuries, mainly an ankle issue and he never really had the chance to hit the ground running and have a good summer.

The Team USA stuff really let him play free and get his motor running early as well, which is a huge plus for the Mavericks.

And...the main guy who was traded was obviously going to get cut. But once he was on the open market, it took an injury to get Damp in an uniform.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #554
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i didn't realize when i started this thread how big of a deal this would turn out to be
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #555
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, but chum, what you haven't considered is that CadBane is actually just another one of Drbio's grad students.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #556
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I'm buying into this.

Very Laker-y move if we don't cut or re-trade guys and we also get quite younger!
Look who called it a Gasolesque trade ;D

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 11-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #557
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Yeah, but chum, what you haven't considered is that CadBane is actually just another one of Drbio's grad students.
Yeah...but how do you know that I'm not Cadbane? You're not Cadbane, are you?

That thread you dredged up brought back many old memories.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #558
LonghornDub

Quote:
Yeah...but how do you know that I'm not Cadbane? You're not Cadbane, are you?

That thread you dredged up brought back many old memories.
...mind = blown.

I hope you enjoyed that trip down memory lane.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #559
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

If Tyson averages something like what he put up tonight, then we got everything we'd hoped for in the DUST chip, and the trade was very Gasol-esque!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #560
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
If Tyson averages something like what he put up tonight, then we got everything we'd hoped for in the DUST chip, and the trade was very Gasol-esque!
It wasn't the sexy move everyone was hoping for at the time. We've moved the framework of the team to suit his talents. OKC announcer was even hyping up the length we had up front with Dirk-Tyson's arms. Even preseason predictions weren't favoring this, even when he was a "surprise" starter opening night, some had to see to believe. It was a huge shot in the arm on and off the court. Kobe had to show Gasol that toughness. I think Tyson, is bringing it to the Mavs. For one player to have this much of an impact in one aspect of the game is huge, huge.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote