Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #5601
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Miller's Twigina? What?
millersdirtytwigina.com

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #5602
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

If someone told Gina Miller to live long wouldn't it be "Viva-Gina!"? (and Vi being the roman numeral six, would that not translate to six vaginas?)

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-29-2009 at 01:15 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #5603
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
If someone told Gina Miller to live long wouldn't it be "Viva-Gina!"? (and Vi being the roman numeral six, would that not translate to six vaginas?)
Worst joke ever? Sorry.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 AM   #5604
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

probably
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #5605
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
What's funny is that I read this... and then I read "TXAgina" as "Vagina".
hahahaha.. I do that every single time.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #5606
southwick

southwick has a spectacular aura aboutsouthwick has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
If the Mavs don't re-sign Hollins, then their only true center (who knows how to play) will be Dampier. Does anyone honestly feel good about that? Looks like starting center is Gooden's to take....

Please keep Hollins Donnie....don't let that Diop signing net us only Matt freakin Carrol.
Bass & Hollins, my two favorite young Mavs. Sigh.
southwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #5607
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking earlier today about how this team is similar to the Suns from a few years back. The difference between this team and the Suns is Amare and Dirk, the fact that we have a legitimate C to put out there to bang with the bigs, and how our PG doesn't defend like Steve Nash.

Those differences are huge. Championship level huge.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #5608
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I was thinking earlier today about how this team is similar to the Suns from a few years back. The difference between this team and the Suns is Amare and Dirk, the fact that we have a legitimate C to put out there to bang with the bigs, and how our PG doesn't defend like Steve Nash.

Those differences are huge. Championship level huge.
Thinking that way ignores that fact that the West has gotten sooooo much better than that point in time. It was a 2-3 team race back then in terms of each team's talent... you can say it is a 5 or 6 team race now.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #5609
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

just saw that
Quote:
Taping a 3-man podcast with @stein_line_HQ and @ricbucher in 2 hours. Mavs debate could get ugly. I'm excited. Eating raw eggs to get ready.
about 22 hours ago from web
and that on Bill Simmons' twitter page:
Quote:
BS Report FYI: Steiny Mo, Buch & I went for so long that it's 2 parts and going up tomorrow. Includes a heated David Lee argument!
about 18 hours ago from web
It's not up yet. I can't say I'm not curious about it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=2864045
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #5610
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marion at the 5?

Donnie Chapter 2: Mavs Lineups And Rotations
Exclusive: Mavs GM Breaks Down The Who's Who Of Dallas Roster
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Mavs GM Donnie Nelson tells all! (OK, some.)

DallasBasketball.com’s revealing and exclusive visit with the Mavs GM – suddenly a continuing series -- takes us to the issue of lineups and rotations.

Donnie Chapter 2: What do you think the opening day rotation looks like?
“We can feel pretty darn good about the 1, 2, 3 and 4; that’s as solid as can be,’’ Donnie tells me.

Before we dive into this, keep in mind, Dear Reader: The following is the result of what should read like a shootin’-the-bull session with a reporter … but also as a hint of what the Mavs’ in-house plans are at this early stage. There are no hard-and-fast rules here, things can change, and Donnie is careful to note that he’s expressing his thoughts without “speaking for Rick Carlisle at all’’ …

In Donnie Chapter 1, Nelson took us on a tour of Drew Gooden's NBA travels and talked about the prospective signee's fit in Dallas.

In Donnie Chapter 2, we keep the aforementioned in mind and here we go. …

The starting four: “We can feel pretty darn good about the 1, 2, 3 and 4; that’s as solid as can be,’’ Donnie tells me.

I think it’s hard to argue that on paper. Jason Kidd is a Hall-of-Famer at the 1. Josh Howard takes his erstwhile-All-Star status to the 2. Shawn Marion is just a season removed from having been a four-time All-Star at the 3. Dirk Nowitzki is an All-World 4. Marion makes that a front-of-the-rotation upgrade, and that’s where an upgrade matters most.

“And then,’’ Donnie says, “we can be versatile from there.’’
For instance, versatility at the 5: “We can go with Gooden at the 5,’’ Nelson says, “and in the NBA right now, especially in the West, it’s not as much about your center having to wrestle with Shaq as it is dealing with more athletic guys … so you go Kidd, Josh, Marion, Dirk and Gooden at the top of the rotation.

“Gooden’s going to get a chance (to start), but there are times when Damp might be called upon there. And when the game ends, we can put our best five out there and go.’’

The best five and go: As has long been the policy around here, that is how the Mavs intend to finish games. The Mavs think their best five includes the aforementioned 1, 2, 3 and 4 … with Jason Terry as the fifth “finisher.’’

“With Josh and Jet as the 2’s,’’ Donnie says, “we’re set there.’’
(I argue with Donnie about my wish that the Mavs go outside the organization to acquire a traditional 2 and … well, we’ll get to that in an ensuing Donnie Chapter.)

“And Quinton Ross? When we added him, we envisioned him as a potential starter at the 2 and a guy who could develop into our Bruce Bowen-type. That can still happen,’’ Nelson says.

Who else at the 5?: “Some nights we could start Quinton Ross at the 2 and Dirk at the 5, along with Kidd, Josh and Marion,’’ Donnie says.

So we’re talking Drew Gooden as the starting center, maybe. And Dirk getting some SmallBall time there. …

And Marion can play some defensive 5, if you are talking SmallBall,’’ Donnie says.

More Donnie: “When you add it up, even when we go SmallBall, we’ve got a 1, 2, 3 and 4 – and maybe even a 5, with Gooden -- who are among the best rebounders at their position in the league. We’re talking about some of these guys being all-timers when it comes to rebounding. It means you are getting stops, it means you can run, and I think you’ll see Gooden and Marion do some big things on the offensive boards, too.’’

And in the backcourt: “With the moves we’ve made since (getting Ross), we’ve got an outstanding group at the 2 and the 1,’’ Donnie says. “Both Josh and Jet are going to play the 2. Jason Kidd ends up some there, too, defensively, when JJ Barea is in the game. Our three-guard lineup was one of our most effective last year. … at some point, we’ll see if Roddy (Beaubois) can be a part of all this.’’

So, let’s add it all up: Says Donnie: “Josh gets some of the 3 minutes. Marion split between the 3 and backup 4. At times we’ll see Marion at the 5, when we’re going to play a little SmallBall. But obviously, Gooden and Damp play the 5. And Dirk is the 4 who will get some time there.

“So,’’says Nelson, “you’ve got Kidd, JJ, Josh and Jet, that’s four guys in the rotation. You’ve got Marion and Dirk, that’s six. Gooden and Damp make eight. And then Ross is a wildcard behind them. And we’ve pretty much got our rotation in place.’’

My thoughts?

*The Mavs think they are loaded for bear at 1, 2, 3 and 4.

*They are prepared to patchwork it at center, with Gooden offering a different dimension than they’ve had in the past. Note than when Donnie talks about Dirk or Marion at the 5, he’s talking about how Dirk can match up offensively and, most likely, about who Marion can guard when Dallas goes SmallBall.

*Dallas is ahead of the game, in a sense, if it knows who will do what, eight or nine guys deep. Remember, a year ago at this time, and into camp, too, they hadn’t settled on a starting center and had four guys contending for the starting 2 job.

*However, if were hoping the Mavs would get "two players better'' than last year, that hasn't happened. Maybe there are upgrades here and there, but Shawn Marion means they are essentially "one player better.'' Not that there's anything wrong with that. ... in the Mavs' mind, he is a single guy who solves a host of problems.

*Eight deep … with Ross as a ninth guy/spot-starter/wildcard … and then what? Donnie mentions rookie Roddy Beaubois as a candidate to be in the mix a little bit. There’s 10. I’ve written that Tim Thomas is an 11th man who can supplant Matt Carroll as a designated 3-point marksman off the bench.

It’s instructive, I think, to note that Donnie does not mention the Nathan Jawai or Kris Humphries or Shawne Williams or Matt Carroll or Greg Buckner or James Singleton (unsigned) as being rotation candidates. So you’ve got a load of guaranteed contract, a limited number of spots, and an early-stage rotation that includes eight-guys-and-change.

“What that means,’’ Donnie says, “is that at the bottom part of the roster we’ve got some pruning to do.’’

Which will eventually bring us to Donnie Chapter 3: Does the “pruning’’ include a 3-for-1 trade? The use of “The Buck Shot’’ to acquire another rotation player? Or are the Mavs -- with an NBA salary cap at $57.7 mil and the team’s payroll shooting above $80 million -- the ones who will make moves to save money?

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1885

Last edited by purplefrog; 07-29-2009 at 01:41 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #5611
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I think he means Marion playing the 5 defensively in some match ups while Dirk is on the floor. I doubt we will ever see Marion as the 5 without Dirk, Gooden, or TT at least out there as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #5612
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
I think he means Marion playing the 5 defensively in some match ups while Dirk is on the floor. I doubt we will ever see Marion as the 5 without Dirk, Gooden, or TT at least out there as well.
Yup. That's how I read it to, and Fish even says as much in that article.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #5613
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

interesting Toronto is trading Devean George to GS for Marco Belinelli. Why couldn't we try to make that trade, damn you daddy nelson. Marco could of been a nice young addition to the mavs.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #5614
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Avalon View Post
interesting Toronto is trading Devean George to GS for Marco Belinelli. Why couldn't we try to make that trade, damn you daddy nelson. Marco could of been a nice young addition to the mavs.
Well yeah, but then we would have no choice but to trade Josh
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #5615
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Serious? Bellinelli has fallen that far? Wow.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #5616
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Is this the same guy who scored like 40 something points in his first summer league game and never did anything noteworthy ever again?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #5617
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Well yeah, but then we would have no choice but to trade Josh
Hmm well true, i understand nellie still loves josh. And Marco wants playing time.

Though if that's the case they would also have no choice to include other guys like beadrens or someone else we could use. Which actually wouldn't of been a bad idea, beadrens could of at least answer our center worries if that would of been possible. Him starting and damp as back up would have us kind of solid at the position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Meh yea sorta, though GS was loaded at the shooting guard. And he is like begging for playing time. Toronto can offer that though since with the departure of Parker and Kapono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack View Post
Is this the same guy who scored like 40 something points in his first summer league game and never did anything noteworthy ever again?
Actually yea, got a point there. Though hes still a young gun learning.

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 07-29-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #5618
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hmm well true, i understand nellie still loves josh. And Marco wants playing time.

Though if that's the case they would also have no choice to include other guys like beadrens or someone else we could use. Which actually wouldn't of been a bad idea, beadrens could of at least answer our center worries if that would of been possible. Him starting and damp as back up would have us kind of solid at the position.

Meh yea sorta, though GS was loaded at the shooting guard. And he is like begging for playing time. Toronto can offer that though since with the departure of Parker and Kapono.

Actually yea, got a point there. Though hes still a young gun learning.
(Honestly, I wasn't trying to make a point, I was legitimately asking)
Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #5619
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

GS wasn't going to make a trade with us.

He has a lot of promise but he fell out of the rotation with injury issues last season. GS is so stacked at his position that they could afford to send him off with little in return.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #5620
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
just saw that
and that on Bill Simmons' twitter page:

It's not up yet. I can't say I'm not curious about it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=2864045
hm....
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #5621
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Apparently McCants wants to come to Dallas. A DB.com member says that he tweeted
"I'm hoping to sign with dallas soon. That's where I would like to play"
Thoughts? I like players that want to play here. Were already kinda stacked at his position tho...

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #5622
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Apparently McCants wants to come to Dallas. A DB.com member says that he tweeted
"I'm hoping to sign with dallas soon. That's where I would like to play"
Thoughts? I like players that want to play here. Were already kinda stacked at his position tho...
I'm 100% for it, as long as a trade for a big man is already in the works. If we can package 3+ together in a massive trade for a big man and shoe-horn him into the roster then I'm all about it. He gets to the cup, he's a potent 3pt shooter, and he seems to genuinely just want to play here.

I can't say that I would be completely opposed to picking him up to replace Jet (and use Jet in the trade for a big man).
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #5623
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

McCants would be a good young pick up hopefully we can get him signed.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #5624
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

i haven't seen that on his tweets.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #5625
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

I love the Kaman islands
Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #5626
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

If we could sign McCants we would have a very good bench.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #5627
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I like McCants, but is the NBA going to allow us a 20-man roster?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #5628
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I like McCants, but is the NBA going to allow us a 20-man roster?
We are going to have to drop some contracts soon anyways so why not pick up a quality player to come of the bench?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #5629
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensborohill View Post
I love the Kaman islands
no love for JJ in your rotation??

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #5630
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Gina Miller

Let's take a quick break from Cowboys camp to get an even quicker Mavericks update.

One Mavericks player seems to be healthy. One player seems to think he's on the way out of Dallas . Then there's the other one who is just happy to be in the game.

More on that in a moment.

Josh Howard, Erick Dampier and Greg Buckner visited with young fans at Children's Medical Center on Tuesday. Player hospital visits are nothing news. We've seen them time and again but they always warm my heart. These kids have challenging days spent on feeding tubes, receiving chemotherapy and going through stuff I can't even begin to imagine. Frankly, most of these patients aren't quite sure who these super-tall, super-friendly guys are but it doesn't matter. The visits, the time spent, the simple conversation absolutely lifts these special youngsters' spirits.

One patient, Amber Waits, made Josh Howard a gift. It was a simple, multi-colored heart Josh made of plastic pieces. It meant the world to him. He was beaming when he showed it to us. I asked Amber about it. She was thrilled when Josh told her that he was going to put it next to a picture of his son.

I really think Josh Howard is feeling better, on many levels. He's had surgeries on both his ankle and wrist. He's plans to start running mid-August. Perhaps more importantly, he was smiling, friendly and engaging. A complete departure from the Josh Howard I'd seen during the season.

He told me he's thrilled about the moves Dallas has made this offseason.

"You see my smile, right?" Howard asked. "Everything should mesh good, I think. I'm gonna have to play the 2-guard more, which is a first for me since college. I'm not gonna be forcing up any shots."

Mavericks Center Erick Dampier almost seemed resigned to the fact his bags are packed and he's on the way to the airport.

"At some point in time I'm gonna have to take the backseat to someone," Dampier responded when asked about the Mavs pursuit of Orlando center Marcin Gortat and the soon-to-be-signing of Drew Gooden. "As we get older your game is not where it used to be. You're a little slower, not as fast you used to be. So, for now, I'm still here and I'm looking forward to being the team's starting center and that's how I'm gonna approach the season."

The last thing Dampier said was telling: "Once you sign your name on that dotted line or on the contract, wherever they trade you to is where you have to go."

HMMMMM.......Sounds like a man with packed bags.

As for Greg Buckner, the 32-year-old guard was almost a throw-in in the Shawn Marion trade. He was basically platooned in Memphis last year and put up just 2.5 points per game but expects to be playing this season.

"I still want to play," he stressed. "I have a lot to prove. If I get a fair chance I think I have a chance to be a big time contributor to the team."

I still think Dallas will package him, as well, at some point.

That's all for now….back to Cowboys camp.http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/bl...lpen&entry=700

Last edited by quietsavant; 07-30-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #5631
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Gina Miller has become quite the insider...

"I'm not gonna be forcing up any shots." -Josh Howard.....hope not.

"If I get a fair chance I think I have a chance to be a big time contributor to the team." -Buckner......lol, sorry but no chance.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #5632
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
"I'm not gonna be forcing up any shots." -Josh Howard.....hope not.
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!

(maybe he switched from Indica to Sativa?)

Last edited by Underdog; 07-30-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #5633
quietsavant

listening to the Bill simmons podcast part one around 25 to 35 mins. He is THE diabolical hater. Hating on the mavs, thank you stein, and bucher for defending the mavs

Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #5634
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Simmons is on crack. He doesn't think Marion is a starter on a championship team... but David Lee could be... what?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #5635
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
Simmons is on crack.
You could've stopped right here...

Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #5636
quietsavant

I'm seriously starting to think he's doing it for the shock effect. I don't believe this guy believes half the things he is saying.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #5637
quietsavant

Mavs' backup plan not ideal, but it just might do the trick
By Chris Bernucca
Pro Basketball News

Let's put something right on the table, before any damage control or spin can make it seem otherwise: The Dallas Mavericks were hoodwinked this offseason.

The Mavericks were looking to fortify their frontcourt and thought they had a nice long-term plan with Marcin Gortat and Brandon Bass. But they were taken by Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith, who played some possum and ended up with both players.

So the Mavericks went to Plan B, as Gortat and Bass became Drew Gooden and Tim Thomas. As alternatives go, not bad. It made them older and smaller, but it also was cheaper -- not that money is ever an issue for owner Mark Cuban.

Here's what the Mavericks have: A deep roster with lots of multi-position guys and specialists that allows them to play different ways, recalling the group that reached the 2006 Finals.

Here's what the Mavericks don't have: A true backup center, immediate salary cap flexibility, youth, developing players at the end of the bench.

Right now, it doesn't look like the Mavericks have added enough to truly challenge the Lakers. But championships aren't won in the summer. And Dallas certainly has added more than the Los Angeles Lakers, Denver, San Antonio, Portland and Houston -- the Western Conference teams it finished behind last season.

There's no use in lamenting the loss of Gortat. His size, skills and ceiling would have provided a terrific transition away from Erick Dampier, who gets in the way more than he gets it done. But Gortat is in Orlando.

However, keep this is mind: Shaquille O'Neal was traded out of the conference and Yao Ming is out for the season. Among West contenders, which team really has a legitimate fearsome center? Not the Lakers, with foul- and injury-prone Andrew Bynum. Not the Blazers, with Greg Oden still coming off the bench. The only true threat is the Spurs with Tim Duncan, who presents problems for every opponent.

Given Dampier's limitations and the relative lack of imposing size across the conference, it's easy to see the Mavericks playing plenty of small ball, a style where they have no shortage of options.

Power forward Dirk Nowitzki can slide up to center and open the paint. Gooden can defend the post, rebound and make 15-foot jumpers. Shawn Marion scores and rebounds from either forward slot. Thomas makes 3-pointers and can play both forward spots.

There's flexibility in the backcourt, too. Small forward Josh Howard will slide to shooting guard to make room for Marion but can easily slide back when Jason Terry comes off the bench as a scorer or Quinton Ross comes off the bench as a stopper. Jason Kidd can run the show or spot up off the ball when Jose Barea plays the point. And rookie Roddy Beaubois can press the pace to fast-forward for short stretches.

Former baseball manager Sparky Anderson used to have a plaque on his office wall with the phrase, "Ballplayers come in cans and not can'ts." He used it as a reminder of what a player can do rather than what he can't do. On his current roster, Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle certainly has a lot of cans. You would be hard-pressed to come up with a team that goes 10 deep better than Dallas.

That hasn't come without a price, however. When the dust settles and camps open, the Mavericks again will be right near the top in total payroll and subjecting themselves to about $20 million in luxury tax, thanks to a lot of dead weight at the end of the bench.

The Mavs have 18 players under contract, including backup center Ryan Hollins, who received a qualifying offer, and reserve guard Greg Buckner, who has a $1 million buyout. Even if Dallas lets Hollins walk and buys out Buckner, it will still have 16 players.

And that doesn't include second-round pick Ahmad Nivins, a slim big who had his moments in the Las Vegas Summer League and would almost have to be signed as a replacement for Hollins.

At the end of the bench with no chance of any significant playing time are Nathan Jawai ($736K), Shawne Williams ($2.42M), Kris Humphries ($6.4M over two years) and Matt Carroll ($16.4M over four years). All arrived as extra
pieces in trades that Dallas always seems willing to take on.

With the longshot exception of Jawai, none of these guys is going to make a quantum leap. What you see is pretty much what you've got. And what you've got is more than $11 million in salaries for practice players, a tab that doubles because the Mavs are a tax team.

Worse is that this quartet is occupying roster spots that could have gone to Hollins, James Singleton and Gerald Green, players whom you can envision getting better and blossoming elsewhere.

And when your stud is 31, your point guard is 36 and six of your top eight are 30-something, player development shouldn't be overlooked.

It's obvious that after three straight years of increasing disappointment and tiresome tinkering, the Mavs were emboldened by last season's results. They decided to go for it and weren't going to let anyone -- including Otis Smith -- get in their way.

But while Plan B makes the Mavs contemporary contenders, it makes very few contingencies for a nucleus that right now qualifies as experienced but could quickly be labeled as old. Look how fast things changed in Detroit.

In that case, the Mavs will need another plan.http://www.probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=671

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #5638
Robillion
Golden Member

That was a good read.. thanks, quietsavant.
The word thing is still annoying though...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #5639
StackAttack
Platinum Member

As ridiculous as Simmons' Mavs hate is, that entire podcast was a great listen, especially all that insight into the new CBA and stuff.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #5640
quietsavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
That was a good read.. thanks, quietsavant.
The word thing is still annoying though...
haha. its as unique as my man bob ross.

Tags
bea > drew > erick, bea arthur could ball, bea arthur has balls, biedrins for the wins, boobsftw, damn bucksuckshot, flaco's purple nipples, mc pee pants?, oliwa?candy, ostertagtag?, tweetweet, who is this mcpants?