Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #561
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default slow news day

Choice Gets Time Away From Contact To Rest Shoulder

link

SAN ANTONIO - It's a real luxury for the Cowboys to have three talented running backs this season, and they intend to keep it that way.

That's why second-year back Tashard Choice sat out Thursday's practice, and may rest again Friday after hyper-extending his right shoulder on a run during Wednesday's afternoon workout. Choice said the injury is relatively minor, and he expects to play in the first preseason game, Aug. 13 at Oakland. MRI results were negative.

"I'll be day-to-day, maybe on ice for a couple days," Choice said. They didn't want me to do anything today. Take it easy, there's no point in really pushing it in training camp."

Choice said the injury happened when he was running into the line with the ball and his off hand up. He called it a freak accident since it didn't even happen because of contact with a defensive player, instead it was Choice attempting to push off the back of one of his own blockers.

Thursday's workout ended with the most aggressive team period so far this camp, a 9-on-7 goal line drill that often ended with a pile on top of whatever running back received the hand off. He said the injury was like a "pinch," and said there was some discoloration after practice, as well as swelling and fluid that needed to drain.

"It was sore so we held him out a little bit," Wade Phillips said. "We were running new plays where there's a possibility of getting banged up; we held him out."

Choice dressed out for practice Thursday afternoon so he could be close to his teammates and take mental reps.

So far toughness isn't something the Cowboys have any concerns about with last year's fourth-rounder from Georgia Tech. After he carried the load throughout December, including 25 touches in the freezing cold at Pittsburgh, they realized it's actually one of his areas of strength.

"I knew I had to take most of the bulk of everything," Choice said of the final month of last season. "So I had to make sure I was in condition to do that and be ready to do that. It worked really well so they could see my toughness, but I don't think they judged my toughness. They know I'm ready to go. I think they knew what type of player I was when they got me."

Position Battles

link

Offensive Tackle (8/4)
Free and McQuistan Key Reserves

Starting offensive tackles Flozell Adams (left) and Marc Colombo (right) took Monday's afternoon practice off, allowing their backups, Doug Free and Pat McQuistan, respectively, a chance to run with the first team. Head coach Wade Phillips said both did well, also saying Free had an especially good day. Free is likely capable of being a swing tackle, the guy who would come in if either Adams or Colombo were injured. With draft pick Robert Brewster possibly out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle, the Cowboys only have one more healthy tackle on the roster after those four -- rookie Andre Douglas, signed on Monday after the Cowboys waived another rookie tackle, Michael Turkovich. Starting guard Leonard Davis has taken a few snaps at left tackle sporadically, although both he and Phillips said that was only to keep him fresh in case of an emergency need at the position.

Tight End (8/5)
Rookie Phillips Ahead Of Pack

It's no secret that the Cowboys are planning on using more two-tight end sets, and it's also no secret that those two tight ends will be Jason Witten and second-year player Martellus Bennett. But the Cowboys will keep more than two tight ends on the final roster, and with Tony Curtis' free agency departure, that third spot is up for grabs. Or is it? Sixth-round draft pick John Phillips has taken the majority of the third team snaps over two-year practice squadder Rodney Hannah and third-year veteran Scott Chandler. Phillips has also been utilized in an H-back role, motioning into the backfield, a role Curtis filled in 2008.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #562
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

In honor of Bullet Bob Hayes officially being inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight (finally), I wrote a little piece to commemorate him.

The "Original 22" joins NFL elite

Congrats Bob! Too bad you couldn't be here to see it, at least not physically.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #563
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
In honor of Bullet Bob Hayes officially being inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight (finally), I wrote a little piece to commemorate him.

The "Original 22" joins NFL elite

Congrats Bob! Too bad you couldn't be here to see it, at least not physically.
Great read - thanks for sharing!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #564
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

It is now official: Hall of Famer Bob Hayes.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #565
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gameTra...Id=20090809010
Quote:
Kerry Collins was sharp and Vince Young tentative
That's because he's a bum. And not just a little stupid.

But it was so great to see football on television tonight, wasn't it?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #566
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

from fansince61 at cowboyszone
Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #567
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

3 more days...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #568
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I got a chance to go tour the stadium on saturday. Holy Sh!t. The thing is like a luxury hotel and I can not explain how awesome the screen is. This thig is out of this world.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #569
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
I got a chance to go tour the stadium on saturday. Holy Sh!t. The thing is like a luxury hotel and I can not explain how awesome the screen is. This thig is out of this world.
I went on a tour a few days ago. I have to say, that HD TV screen is just absolutely ridiculous. In fact, I think most of the people that are at the game will spend more time watching the game on that screen than they will watching the actual field of play. Those who are in the higher seats might even forget there is a game going on down below.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 08-10-2009 at 01:26 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #570
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
This thig is out of this world.
Stop it, I'm blushing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #571
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

that cowboys stadium picture looks awesome
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #572
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm developing a man-crush on Marty B...

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...E5AC5505058DA6

I think some big things are coming from this kid.

*Edit - For whatever reason it won't link directly to the video so go to the one that shows his one-handed catch. His athleticism on that play is absurd for a guy his size.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 08-13-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #573
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Just pretend the '22' says '4' here: http://www.examiner.com/x-14770-Dall...ng-in-22-hours

Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #574
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

Woot pre-season start's tonight. Can't wait finally!!!!!!

Felix vs McFadden (well sorta, even though they probably won't be in that much)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #575
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Vick to the Eagles. Ugh.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #576
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Just heard....this is probably the last team I wanted him to go too. It just scares me

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #577
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I kind of wanted to see Vick go to Cleveland so he could play in front of the Dawg pound.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #578
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I kind of wanted to see Vick go to Cleveland so he could play in front of the Dawg pound.
That woulda been too perfect. LOL
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #579
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

With McNabb always dabbling in a state of crap or injury, Vick will get his chances if they wanna use him as a QB. They'll find ways to get him on the field.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #580
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
With McNabb always dabbling in a state of crap or injury, Vick will get his chances if they wanna use him as a QB. They'll find ways to get him on the field.
Wildcat.

Last edited by Fidel; 08-13-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #581
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

This team is going to have the same problem that it's had every single year: penalties.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #582
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Just heard....this is probably the last team I wanted him to go too. It just scares me
dude hasn't played in two years. if he is the same player he was then more power to him. i happen to think he'll be pretty mediocre.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #583
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Raiders are kicking the crap out of the Cowboys!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #584
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I didn't even turn that channel on tonight. Tell me, did the receiver who won "Forf n long", as the eloquent Michael Irvin says, catch a ball?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #585
FINtastic
Diamond Member

All I know is that we better hope for no injuries going into the season. Some of these backups (o-line and the entire defense) scare the bejeezus out of me.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #586
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

I was very impressed by Sam Hurd. He should get the number 3 receiver over Austin.

Felix Jones looked amazing like always.

BEAT LA
Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 AM   #587
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
I was very impressed by Sam Hurd. He should get the number 3 receiver over Austin.

Felix Jones looked amazing like always.
And to add to it, Sam Hurd has been pretty amazing all camp long from all reports I've managed to get my mouse pointer on. He's supposedly making an acrobatic catch or two every practice and has really worked hard to improve his explosiveness. So hopefully he's ready to take a jump forward, it would be nice if he could establish himself as a really good #3 wide receiver.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #588
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad preseason doesn't count for nothing.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #589
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I'm glad preseason doesn't count for nothing.
You do realize you used a double negative in this statement?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #590
Windmill360
Diamond Member

It's the same team as last year and there will be even less discipline. I can't take these coaches seriously.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #591
Underdog

Getting Acclimated
Veteran Additions Make Contribution In Cowboys Debut

link

OAKLAND - The Cowboys drafted 12 players in April, but the new faces that will have the greatest impact in 2009 aren't rookies at all.

Thursday night's 31-10 preseason opening loss to the Oakland Raiders was not the first NFL game for four veterans - linebacker Keith Brooking, quarterback Jon Kitna, safety Gerald Sensabaugh and defensive end Igor Olshansky - but it was their first as Cowboys.

Brooking and Sensabaugh walked out of Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum with the best stat lines of the veteran newcomers. Brooking recorded three tackles in the first quarter, along with a sack on Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, although in a comical clerical error the sack was credited to rookie offensive guard Greg Isdaner.

Sensabaugh recorded one tackle and broke up two passes, highlighted by one thundering hit that gave Raiders rookie receiver Louis Murphy alligator arms, causing him to drop the pass.

Both players credited their performances with how comfortable they've become in the Cowboys' defense. Sensabaugh even went a step further, saying that after only one off-season and two weeks of training camp he's as comfortable as he's been in any defense.

Olshansky's name doesn't appear on any stat sheet, although no stat exists for how many times a defensive end frees up a linebacker by occupying an offensive lineman. After spending his first five years with the San Diego Chargers, three of them in a Wade Phillips-run defense, Olshansky has had a smooth transition so far. Playing against the Raiders, a team he faced twice every year he's been in the NFL, in a stadium down the street from where he grew up only made him more at ease.

"Knowing Coach Phillips' defense and playing it and being comfortable is a big part of it," Olshansky said. "The transition's been smooth, but you've still got to go out there and work and improve every day."

Kitna, who came to Dallas from the Lions in a pre-draft exchange for cornerback Anthony Henry, did not have a banner day. In a little more than one quarter of work, Kitna fumbled a snap, was sacked, let a shotgun snap sail over his head, and threw and interception, although the pick was more spectacular defense play more than poor throw.

Still, the Cowboys' new backup quarterback completed 7 of 10 passes for 87 yards, and showed the ability to air the ball out, a trait sorely lacking in his predecessor, Brad Johnson.

Kitna gave his play a passing grade, although he acknowledged that he failed to accomplish his main goal.

"I made some good throws, but the quarterback's job is to get the ball in the end zone, and I didn't do that," Kitna said. "So, [I'd give myself] probably a B or a C."

Kitna said the fumbled snaps are the product of working with a new center, and that those types of kinks should be worked out by the end of the preseason.

Tim Anderson Released

The Cowboys on Saturday released defensive lineman Tim Anderson, originally thought to be a contender for the backup nose tackle job.

Anderson missed most of the off-season practices and the first week of training camp with a toe injury that required surgery. He played in Thursday's preseason loss to Oakland but did not record any statistics.

His departure makes Junior Siavii the clear candidate to back up Pro Bowl starter Jay Ratliff. Jonas Seawright is the other backup nose tackle on the camp roster.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #592
Underdog

Practice Report: More Playing Time Coming For Hurd

link

What's The Scoop:

Roundly heralded as the standout of training camp, Cowboys receiver Sam Hurd carried his strong play over to the preseason-opener in Oakland.

Now he may be earning himself a bigger role on the offense. Hurd was the Cowboys' best player statistically Thursday, hauling in five passes for 79 yards in the second quarter alone.

"We're going to give him more and more playing time because he deserves it," Wade Phillips said Saturday. All of Hurd's damage was done against Oakland's second-string defense. The Cowboys want to see what he can do against better competition the rest of the preseason. "We'll play him more with our first three receivers, certainly."

Hurd's biggest gain against the Raiders was a 30-yard jump ball he caught while shielding the pass from a defender. When the Cowboys arrived at camp much of the receiver talk was focused on whether Miles Austin could unseat Patrick Crayton as the No. 2 receiver. Hurd has injected his name in that discussion by running crisp routes and routinely coming up with miracle catches.

"Sam had been making them in practice, he made circus catches every day," Phillips said. "We talked about it every day in our meetings and he did the same thing in the ballgame and played outstanding in the ballgame."

Quick Shots:

* As was decided before camp the Cowboys had two light practices today, the first of which was a simple walkthrough, which included corrections from Thursday night's game. Some of the players came out to the afternoon practice wearing shoulder pads, but those were taken up before the workout started. There were several competitive periods, though the offensive and defensive lines didn't seem to be going full speed.
* Team vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys would not move to add a fullback to the roster despite starter Deon Anderson undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday in Dallas. The club does have a roster spot open after releasing defensive tackle Tim Anderson Saturday morning, but Jones said they are pleased with Julius Crosslin, who spent all of last season on the Cowboys practice squad.
* Wade Phillips said he was pleased with the performance of linebacker Bobby Carpenter in the first preseason game, though the backup linebacking unit as a whole could have played better. "He made plays all over the field," Phillips said. "And he played like he's been practicing. I think he hit the quarterback at least two times where he had to cover a guy in the backfield and the guy blocked, and then he came and made the play."
* Cowboys players and coaches ended Saturday's afternoon practice by spending time with a group from the Gridiron Heroes Spinal Cord Injury Foundation. The San Antonio-based non-profit was started in 2003 to provide support and resources to high school athletes who suffered debilitating spinal injuries on the football field.

You Should've Seen:

Continued dominance in this category for Hurd. During 7-on-7 drills he ran an eight-yard comeback near the right sideline and hauled in a low bullet from Tony Romo, diving back diagonally toward the sideline to catch it with Alan Ball breathing down his neck.

Who's Hot:

Wide receiver Roy Williams and quarterback Tony Romo had one of their better combined practices of camp Saturday afternoon, hooking up several times. Romo is showing he is becoming more comfortable throwing to Williams, and the receiver has been using his size along the sideline to protect Romo's passes from defenders. He has impressively strong hands and rarely drops a ball, something Romo's hasn't been able to count on his No. 1 receiver for these last three years.

Who's Not:

After an impressive showing the first week of camp or so, the play of defensive end Marcus Dixon has leveled off a bit. While his off-season conditioning work has obviously made him a better player, he wasn't able to get much done against the Raiders on Thursday. He was officially credited with no tackles, and didn't get much of a push when Oakland's quarterbacks dropped back to throw.

Injury Update:

FB Deon Anderson, knee surgery - out a month (8/13)
LB Steve Octavien, groin - expected back Monday (8/8)
CB Terence Newman, slight groin strain - expected back Monday (8/8)
CB Mike Jenkins, right ankle - expected back Monday (8/8)
CB Michael Hawkins, knee bruise - TBD (7/31)
RB Alonzo Coleman, slight quad tear - day-to-day (8/1)
OT Robert Brewster, torn pectoral - likely season-ending (7/27)

Missed Practice:

OT Robert Brewster (pectoral)
LB Steve Octavien (groin)
CB Michael Hawkins (knee)
RB Alonzo Coleman (quad)
CB Terence Newman (groin)
CB Mike Jenkins (ankle)
RB Deon Anderson (knee)
LB Brandon Williams (shoulder)

Returned to Practice:

(None.)

Transactions:

DT Tim Anderson, waived (8/15)
DT Tim Anderson, activated from PUP (8/5)
S Jerome Carter, waived (8/4)
OT Robert Brewster, signed (8/4)
LB Stephen Hodge, activated from PUP (8/4)
OT Michael Turkovich, placed on Injured/Waived (8/3)
OT Andre Douglas, signed (8/3)
LB Stephen Hodge, placed on PUP (7/28)
DT Tim Anderson, placed on PUP (7/28)

Last edited by Underdog; 08-16-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #593
Underdog

Cowboys Release Coleman, Hawkins

link

The Cowboys have trimmed the roster down to 77 players Monday after cutting both running back Alonzo Coleman and cornerback Michael Hawkins.

Coleman, who spent the last two years on the practice squad, will get an injury settlement since he has yet to pass a physical because of a nagging quad injury he suffered early in camp.

Hawkins has also missed most of camp with a knee/patella bruise. However, he was ready to return to action on Monday, therefore was he outright released.

For now, the Cowboys aren’t expected to make another move, but they don’t have to reduce down to 75 until after the San Francisco preseason game on Aug. 29. Technically, the Cowboys have only 76 available players, considering rookie tackle Robert Brewster is out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle.

But don’t expect the Cowboys not to sign at least one or two players, just to get through the games at some of the thinner positions.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #594
FINtastic
Diamond Member

First time the Cowboys ever play in Jerry World. Get excited!

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #595
badfish22
Golden Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndsUZ6guWM

Cant wait to see this kid play a full season (hopefully)

Most explosive player on the team.

BEAT LA
Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #596
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Drafted about 5 Cowboys today in my fantasy football league today, let's hope they make me look good.

I may have gotten a little too homer here, but I couldn't help myself.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #597
chumdawg
Guru

Oh, crap. We are going to have to raise the videoboard!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #598
badfish22
Golden Member

very nice play by my man Felix today. Romo played well too.

Hurd continues to impress, besides that one drop

BEAT LA
Old 08-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #599
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Romo was picking apart that Titans D tonight.

And Marty B looks really good.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #600
chumdawg
Guru

We kicked the absolute crap out of the Titans tonight. Don't forget that this was their third game and only our second.

Tags
!peppers != 19-0, holy neck, not even participants, peppers = 19-0, villareal, we win super balls now?, what is a charger?