Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #561
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't need to amnesty Pierce, they can easily just waive him and only take a $5 million hit.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #562
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

RC on Galloway saying they need to take a strength in numbers approach this offseason. Hmm.. I guess the "difference maker" approach has been dropped since there are no big fish to be caught.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #563
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
RC on Galloway saying they need to take a strength in numbers approach this offseason. Hmm.. I guess the "difference maker" approach has been dropped since there are no big fish to be caught.
You certainly need to take what the FO says with a grain of salt with regards to the offseason. What he really needs is strength in knowing how to work in his "be ready" system. Plus, he has to say that so that people won't get super pissed if indeed they don't get a big fish.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #564
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You certainly need to take what the FO says with a grain of salt with regards to the offseason. What he really needs is strength in knowing how to work in his "be ready" system. Plus, he has to say that so that people won't get super pissed if indeed they don't get a big fish.
He specifically mentioned this years Denver team and then the 2011 team when he talked of the strength in numbers approach.

I don't have a problem with it. You try for Paul or Howard. If you fail you fail. But I'm glad to hear they are changing their approach. If they can't land the "big fish" you make the best of who you can get.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #565
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He specifically mentioned this years Denver team and then the 2011 team when he talked of the strength in numbers approach.

I don't have a problem with it. You try for Paul or Howard. If you fail you fail. But I'm glad to hear they are changing their approach. If they can't land the "big fish" you make the best of who you can get.
I agree. Plus, as grmstr said, you can take on one or two reasonable long term contracts and still have space next summer. As long as they address team weaknesses, then I'd be fine with that.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #566
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:

That's a practical view from RC. Mavs have Dirk as a starting point. If the Mavs can put together a "Denver type" roster I'll be pleased because Denver doesn't start with Dirk as a foundation piece.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #567
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

If Andre Iguodala opts out of his contract after this season. I say front office should find a way to sign him. I'd possibly consider them paying more to him than Mayo.

Last edited by yahyes; 04-27-2013 at 02:45 AM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #568
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
If Andre Iguodala opts out of his contract after this season. I say front office should find a way to sign him. I'd possibly consider them paying more to him than Mayo.
Andre is opting out of 13million… I don't think he's going for less than 11 or 12million/year for 4 years. Are you willing to count him as your big free agent signing? He turn 30 in January.

If you can swap Marion out for him then it might work well cap wise, but with both we would have 2 non-shooters starting at the 2 & 3 and have little cap space left.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #569
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I see the Mavs having a hard time replicating the depth of the Nuggets in free agency. They have several quality starters and strong rotation players. Plus, I love how they have 3 ball handlers (Igou, Miller, Lawson) and 3 good defensive or rebounding big men (Faried, McGee, Koufos). We currently have Carter as our best ball handler and Marion as our best D or rebounding "big man".

Denver Current Rotation when healthy:
Igoudala, Lawson, Faried, McGee, Gallo, Chandler, Miller, Brewer, Koufos, Fournier

Dallas Current Rotation for 13-14:
Dirk, Marion, Carter, Crowder, B. James

We need a few really solid starters and a few strong rotation players with some of the incoming players being solid ball handlers and some "D & rebounding big men". Then we can be Denver + Dirk. Getting them all to fit in under the cap will be really difficult.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #570
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
Andre is opting out of 13million… I don't think he's going for less than 11 or 12million/year for 4 years. Are you willing to count him as your big free agent signing? He turn 30 in January.
I'd think he's more of a possibility to attract Josh Smith and who knows, maybe Dwight Howard. His age doesn't bother me if they draft a young SG prospect, keep Morrow, or find another free agent. Iggy would work under what Carlisle wants on the court shooting guard wise. Also opens the possibility of parting ways with Marion.

Last edited by yahyes; 04-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #571
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Well, well, well....Dwight Howard just had an interesting exit to the Lakers season. Ejected in a game where they're about to get swept. In the manner it just happened could def leave a bad taste in Lakers FO mouth.

We could make a strong run at him if we wanted.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #572
yahyes
Banned

I wouldn't mind Dwight being the first free agent they try to pursue. Heck I could bet Cuban is already on the phone with his agent. Front office must use their draft picks wisely this summer.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #573
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

No Howard please!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #574
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Howard please!
Fixed your typo... Obviously you didn't mean to type "no" in front of the most available future Hall of Famer's name on the market.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #575
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Fixed your typo... Obviously you didn't mean to type "no" in front of the most available future Hall of Famer's name on the market.
I'm not sold on Howard tbh. He seems mentally fragile and lacking focus. Yes, he's the most available future Hall of famer's name out there (although you could mention Chris Paul as well), but concerning his will to win I'm not convinced yet. Not saying he's a bad player though.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #576
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
I'm not sold on Howard tbh. He seems mentally fragile and lacking focus. Yes, he's the most available future Hall of famer's name out there (although you could mention Chris Paul as well), but concerning his will to win I'm not convinced yet. Not saying he's a bad player though.
There's nothing wrong with Howard that a long-term contract, hard-nosed coach and most accommodating franchise player in the league can't fix... Getting out of the bright lights of Hollyweird wouldn't hurt either - the pressure to "win it all right away" isn't so great when you're not lingering in the shadows of guys like Kareem and Shaq. Let success come organically instead of forcing high expectations.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-29-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #577
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Iggy is looking for a huge payday and he's not the type of player I'd be spending money on with the current team situation.

Quote:
No Howard please!
OK, name a better center in free agency in the next 3 years. Oh that's right, there's a valid argument he's the best in the game right now. I love how some of the folks on this board are so quick to dismiss the stars in the league do to public perception, but so willing to overlook the flaws in "lesser" player's games. With the exception of Dirk and maybe Durrant, pretty much all the stars in the NBA today (and in history) are prima donnas. If he's available, you take him without question.

Last edited by Dirk's Knee; 04-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #578
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

D.Howard ? considering Taxes....
Is the Mavs' max offer of $87.6 million somehow equal to the Lakers' $118 million if you take into account California taxes?
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #579
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
the pressure to "win it all right away" isn't so great when you're not lingering in the shadows of guys like Kareem and Shaq.
The shadows of Shawn Bradley and Tyson Chandler are slightly offended.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 04-29-2013 at 11:33 AM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #580
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
The shadows of Shawn Bradley and Tyson Chandler are slightly offended.
Nobody cares what a one-night stand and the lamest member of the Monstars think...

Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #581
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Is the Mavs' max offer of $87.6 million somehow equal to the Lakers' $118 million if you take into account California taxes?
10.55% state income tax in California for his bracket... He'd still make more money with the Lakers on this contract, but what about his next contract? He's only 27 and could stand to make more money over the rest of his career if he signed, then extended, with a Texas team.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #582
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Money isn't the only factor. Kobe will be out at least half of next season. There's a significant chance he'll miss the whole season...with him eating 30 mil of their cap. Which means, what you saw in the Lakers 1st round is what you have to work with next season if he re-signs. They have really no salary to work with. Maybe they could make some trades happen, but they have some questionable contracts on the books across the board and zero depth.

Let's say Miami wins it all. Dwight might look at that line up of guys who took less in order to dominate and think he would have a better chance next year with Dallas, Houston, or someone else. Before Kobe got injured, I'd say he was re-signing 100%. I'd still heavily believe he would re-sign, but it's not a guarantee in my mind any more. Especially since he said he would take a look at his free agent value. His biggest criticism is that he's immature/a prima donna. If that's true, which way would the immature/prima donna mind fall, to make more money now or to win a championship now and bask in the spotlight?

Last edited by Dirk's Knee; 04-29-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #583
yahyes
Banned

I think if Dwight made it to Dallas. Carlisle would know best how to implement him into the dominate center that he is. He established Tyson at the right time. My hope would be Dwight researching how the coaching system would be instead of the extra money. Just imagining an Dwight and Dirk combo gets me amped. It would be nothing like he did playing alongside Gasol.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #584
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
It takes some real mental gymnastics to imagine Dwight coming to Dallas - under any scenario.
Just to help some of you guys manage your expectations.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #585
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
God, not in here the usual bullshit.

Dont compare the total numbers with the lakers able to offer five years and the Mavs just four years.

After three years implement an ETO in his contract and he can sign a max extention. With state tax he wont lose much money each year. Only risk is pulling a Livingston in this first three years.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #586
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

What is an eto?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #587
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Estimated Time of Outtage. For Mayo it is always Springtime. Mayo's ETA on his ETO is usually around March 1st.....

(Early Termination option)

Last edited by Bayliss; 04-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #588
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No Howard please!
are you serious???

he never comes to dallas but he is still the best center of the league(if he isn't injuries).
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #589
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm Dwight Howard I am playing for the Rockets next year. PG is Beverly/Lin = nice combo. SG is Harden = nough said. Sf = Chandler Parsons. PF who cares? Asik is the best backup center ever.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #590
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
If I'm Dwight Howard I am playing for the Rockets next year. PG is Beverly/Lin = nice combo. SG is Harden = nough said. Sf = Chandler Parsons. PF who cares? Asik is the best backup center ever.
I forgot to add that Delfino is backing up Parson. This team is custom fucking designed to accept Dwight Howard and destroy the heat Ilumminati.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #591
yahyes
Banned

I don't think he's going to Houston. It's either stay in LA or sign with Dallas. I don't even think Houston would have enough cap room, with only having 1 free agent this summer.

Last edited by yahyes; 04-30-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #592
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think he's going to Houston. It's either stay in LA or sign with Dallas. I don't even think Houston would have enough cap room, with only having 1 free agent this summer.
They can waive Francisco Garcia and Delfino to save about $9M... that would give them space to sign Dwight. And honestly, if I was Dwight and winning was my top priority, Houston is by far the best option.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #593
Dirk's Knee

Quote:
Houston was under the cap this year (among the lowest in the league I believe), has something like 8 players whose contracts have expired, and a few players with team options which I believe would clear enough cap to sign Howard outright. If they exercise all options to get the most available cap (which I imagine at the minimum they will opt to keep Parsons and Delfino), their salary going into free agency is around the $46 mil mark. Nothing close to the flexibility the Mavs have, but if you look at how that $48 mil is being spent they are in a much safer position to spend big on 1 star and not have to worry about sacrificing at another starting position versus the Mavs having tons of space, but really having to buy 2-3 starters and a bench.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #594
yahyes
Banned

But it has me wonder why downgrade Asik after having great overall season stats wise. Wouldn't Bernard James or re-signing Kaman for cheap be solid backups for Dwight Howard too?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #595
Dirk's Knee

Quote:
But it has me wonder why downgrade Asik after having great overall season stats wise. Wouldn't Bernard James or re-signing Kaman for cheap be solid backups for Dwight Howard too?
Not sure what point your trying to make. Even with everyone walking from the Houston roster (presuming they opt in at least with Parsons) they have a solid starting line up with dough to spend. If Houston gets Howard, they trade Asik for a couple solid role players and stock the rest of bench with min salaries and likely be a deep playoff team. BTW, Asik contract has a $15 mil "poison pill" in the third (final) year, so I can definitely see them trading him on a Howard acquisition before it kicks in.

In the case of Dallas, there is a starting PF and SF on contract. Which means you need to sign 3 starters. In the long shot that Howard is the center, James would be fine as the backup IMHO. But you need a back up PF (Wright, hopefully), 2 point guards, and a starting SG (presuming Carter off the bench) in addition to several "just in case" minimum guys to warm the end of the bench. Dallas's future is incredibly uncertain even in the case Howard is signed due to how many spots need to be filled.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #596
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

@KBergCBS: Dwight on his free-agent future: "I'm focused on me and making the best decision for me, and that's not going to be today."
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #597
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
@KBergCBS: Dwight on his free-agent future: "I'm focused on me and making the best decision for me, and that's not going to be today."
And so the two month long charade begins!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #598
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

**Yawn** And after stringing the Mavs along for awhile he will go back to the Lakers where he will make more money.

Look elsewhere Cubes. Zero in on a free agent that isn't a pipedream and be at their door come 12:00 July 1st. Have Dirk right there with you. The same way Amare and Pringles did to Nash in 04.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #599
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Look elsewhere Cubes. Zero in on a free agent that isn't a pipedream and be at their door come 12:00 July 1st. Have Dirk right there with you. The same way Amare and Pringles did to Nash in 04.
Um, Nash was a big time free agent?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #600
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
So, he's not starting the verbal commitment with LA.Hm...

Tags
cad von ghostymooglebane, moogleghostfacechamp, ummmm