Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #561
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Whoooah guys check this out...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...g-trevor-ariza

maybe Houston isn't matching?
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #562
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The Rockets still have space to work with, based on their trades. If they REALLY wanted to, they could sign Ariza or player x to a deal and still match on Parsons. That seems relatively weird to do, but it would definitely counter the sticking by the Mavs by sticking the Mavs, themselves.

Of course, it could easily just mean that they might be passing on Parsons and decide to move on.

Both are valid.
More likely they are looking to replace Parsons with someone a bit cheaper (Ariza) and then looking to acquire a decent PG. Problem is that unless they can steal Bledsoe from the Suns, Thomas was the last starting-caliber PG out there. Mo Williams is more of a 6th man/spark plug/combo-guard. Augustin is a 5-10mpg backup. Not much left to get through free agency.

No way they give Ariza 10-12m/yr and then match Parsons unless Morey wants to hurt us way more than he'd want to win. More likely they'll see if they can try to get Ariza AND Bledoe and go forward from there. That actually might be a decent team overall.

If they matched Parsons AND signed Parsons, 26mill for one position is rough when you have a rookies/young guys running the PG and PF position:

Howard (21.4m)/Motiejunas (1.5m)
Jones (1.6m)/Capela (1.0m)
Parsons (16m)/Ariza (10m)
Harden (14.7m)/???
Beverley (0.9m)/Canaan (0.8m)
----------------------------
67.9m (over the cap, but not in the tax)
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #563
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

What do we do to fill out the roster if we get Parsons? Still a little concerned on that front. Thought for sure VC would be back based on early reports.

Felton/Harris/Augustin or Mo(vet min)
Ellis/?
Parsons/Crowder
Dirk/?
Chandler/Wright

Birdman/Miller are options, but I think we're a ways off on those.

I know this sounds silly, but I wonder how getting Parsons effects Monta. Outside of Dirk hes the big dog on the court and money wise. Having Parsons get almost double his contract cant feel good, but i hope it doesnt change his performance.

Last edited by Melonhead; 07-12-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #564
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Guard position will be fluid, which is fine. We don't play with a traditional guard with Ellis which is fine since we have a lot of passing and Ellis/Harris can provide movement. Harris/Felton/Ellis can handle the majority of the 96 minutes there with a little help from Mekel and/or Mo Williams.

Wright/Parsons/Crowder can also play some PF and Dirk will probably still average 30mpg, so that isn't a problem.

backup C is what we need the most. I wouldn't mind Blair at the min if we could pickup Okafor or Andersen. Pretty sure we'll bring back James as a third/fourth stringer. We still need a better second stringer than Wright because of how situational he is.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #565
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Just seeing Parsons' deal almost guarantees Monta opts out. I think him reupping and Chandler reupping will wash out neutral so Wright's salary + whatever the cap goes up will be our opportunity to improve via FA.

I think Mo @exception would round out our backcourt (assuming we don't move Felton somehow).

We need some backcourt depth. Blair might be a minimum guy. Maybe Okafor. I would be inclined to sell high on Wright to try to get a couple bodies in (Marion, Birdman).

Felton/Harris
Monta/Mo
Parsons/Trix
Dirk/Blair
Chandler/Oakfor

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #566
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Just seeing Parsons' deal almost guarantees Monta opts out. I think him reupping and Chandler reupping will wash out neutral so Wright's salary + whatever the cap goes up will be our opportunity to improve via FA.
I thought we have early bird on Monta, means we can first blow all of the cap space via Chandler/Wright expired contracts and then re-up Monta, offering up to 175% raise and go with that over the 63m...

So still looks like at least 15m cap to spend and paying Monta after that.

Last edited by sefant77; 07-12-2014 at 02:17 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #567
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
We need some backcourt depth. Blair might be a minimum guy. Maybe Okafor. I would be inclined to sell high on Wright to try to get a couple bodies in (Marion, Birdman).
I think you mean frontcourt, but I fully agree with you. Felton(31mpg)/Harris(21mpg)/Ellis (37mpg)/Mekel (9mpg) should be able to handle 96 minutes of guard spot, particularly if we get Mo Williams to help.

Forward positions look good if we get Parsons, who was just as productive at the PF as he was at the SF. Crowder was also effective playing backup PF.

Center is the weakest spot and can't just be covered by a forward if we want to be competitive. I think we'll occasionally see some Dirk center just for speed, but Chandler can probably only do 30-32mpg this year, which means that we'll need a backup center (or centers) who can do about (a combined) 18mpg. I love me some Wright for his shotblocking, work without the ball and league-leading offensive efficiency, but we need at least one more guy for when Chandler sits, Wright is getting pushed around and James just isn't an option. Preferably someone who can play 20-28 minutes just in case Chandler has health issues.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #568
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I thought we have early bird on Monta, means we can first blow all of the cap space via Chandler/Wright expired contracts and then re-up Monta, offering up to 175% raise and go with that over the 63m...

That is correct. We'll be able to sign him for up to 175% of next year's salary ($8.36 million) if he opts out, which means we could go as high as 14.63mill, which will be only slightly below the max and unless he absolutely explodes next year, will be more than any team will offer him. Keeping him isn't the problem-- it's the money he costs us. The cap may grow by 3-4mill next year, but his new salary will probably grow at least as fast as that so other than the possibility of Chandler re-signing for less or leaving we won't have a lot of cap space.

Then again, I think we've seen that the optimal position to be in in the NBA to improve is to be right at the cap with a lot of different guys earning different amounts of money. If we do well next season, I could see us staying at or above the cap until Dirk retires and working on tweaking the roster rather than rebuilding it.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #569
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

Now I'm hearing reports that the Rockets are going after either Luol Deng or Trevor Ariza

Last edited by jay3189; 07-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #570
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3189 View Post
Now I'm hearing reports that the Rockets are going after either Luol Deng or Trevor Ariza
That's been on the table for a while now, although Miami is apparently in the lead for Deng.

Still, the fact that they are interested in Deng/Ariza is pretty telling about their mindset for Parsons (or at least their backup plan)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #571
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The Rockets still have space to work with, based on their trades. If they REALLY wanted to, they could sign Ariza or player x to a deal and still match on Parsons. That seems relatively weird to do, but it would definitely counter the sticking by the Mavs by sticking the Mavs, themselves.

Of course, it could easily just mean that they might be passing on Parsons and decide to move on.

Both are valid.
Yeah.. if they did that it would just make me smile... assuming we could still make a play on Stephenson or Ariza Monday morning. If they somehow screw us completely out of any upgrades paths that would suck. But right now they are not in a great position a la Chris Bosh stab to the back.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #572
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

If you're Houston, there's no downside to negotiating with Deng/Ariza right now. For one thing, you might need them to replace Parsons, and at least have to get a sense of the price tag on each in order to decide on your best course of action. Beyond that, you get to leave open the possibility of signing one and then matching on Parsons just to screw Dallas (unlikely, IMO), and even in the event that you don't sign either you may succeed in driving up their price a bit, which could turn out to be some form of payback for Dallas.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #573
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think you mean frontcourt, but I fully agree with you. Felton(31mpg)/Harris(21mpg)/Ellis (37mpg)/Mekel (9mpg) should be able to handle 96 minutes of guard spot, particularly if we get Mo Williams to help.

Forward positions look good if we get Parsons, who was just as productive at the PF as he was at the SF. Crowder was also effective playing backup PF.

Center is the weakest spot and can't just be covered by a forward if we want to be competitive. I think we'll occasionally see some Dirk center just for speed, but Chandler can probably only do 30-32mpg this year, which means that we'll need a backup center (or centers) who can do about (a combined) 18mpg. I love me some Wright for his shotblocking, work without the ball and league-leading offensive efficiency, but we need at least one more guy for when Chandler sits, Wright is getting pushed around and James just isn't an option. Preferably someone who can play 20-28 minutes just in case Chandler has health issues.
You're right. I like those MPGs and I think it's a fairly safe bet that Harris/Chandler will miss 15+ games. It's a decent bet that Dirk/Felton might miss 10 games themselves (rest/injury), too, so we should budget in players for those occasions, too.

I think you need four-five decent bench players to be a deep team (which especially benefits from a tactical coach like Rick). Harris and Wright are two. Mo would be a third and then we'd be done outside of the minimums. Moving Wright would allow us to get four-five good decent backup types, which would make this offseason a rousing success (upgrade center, upgrade SF, upgrade depth).

Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #574
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:

You're right but wouldn't it be nearly 20M (not accounting for cap raise) between Chandler/Wright? Or are you accounting for salary raises for Parsons/Dirk/etc.

Once we go over for Monta, I think the Mavs pivot to the above the cap strategy for the next couple years (until Dirk/CP go off the cap). You have your core in Monta/Parsons/Dirk/Chandler so it would just be about growing through building continuity and using exceptions to augment personnel-wise.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #575
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
More likely they are looking to replace Parsons with someone a bit cheaper (Ariza) and then looking to acquire a decent PG. Problem is that unless they can steal Bledsoe from the Suns, Thomas was the last starting-caliber PG out there. Mo Williams is more of a 6th man/spark plug/combo-guard. Augustin is a 5-10mpg backup. Not much left to get through free agency.

No way they give Ariza 10-12m/yr and then match Parsons unless Morey wants to hurt us way more than he'd want to win. More likely they'll see if they can try to get Ariza AND Bledoe and go forward from there. That actually might be a decent team overall.

If they matched Parsons AND signed Parsons, 26mill for one position is rough when you have a rookies/young guys running the PG and PF position:

Howard (21.4m)/Motiejunas (1.5m)
Jones (1.6m)/Capela (1.0m)
Parsons (16m)/Ariza (10m)
Harden (14.7m)/???
Beverley (0.9m)/Canaan (0.8m)
----------------------------
67.9m (over the cap, but not in the tax)
Not sure about Capela:

LAS VEGAS -- The Houston Rockets and their 2014 NBA first round draft pick Clint Capela are in a contract dispute following the team’s failed attempt to lure Chris Bosh from Miami, league sources informed CSNNW.com.

According to one source, for cap space, the Rockets requested that Capela spend another season in France, believing they would land Bosh in free agency. Capela’s representatives were strongly against that idea and that still stands. Friction amongst the two sides is ongoing, sources say.

There’s a $500,000 buyout to free the 6-11 forward from his French team. The Rockets and Capela’s representatives are also wrangling on who and how much each party should pay towards the buyout. Negotiations are currently at a minor impasse but sides are expected to reconvene talks in the next couple of days, we’re told.

Capela, 20, was selected with the team’s 25th overall pick.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #576
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Blair's still a possibility for vet min, I think.

Edit: if not clear, I was chiming in on EL and rabbit's conversation with the above.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 07-12-2014 at 02:48 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #577
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

So, now some buzz out of LA that Houston might be getting in on the Pau S&T to take Boozer. At first blush I'm inclined to think that they'd match on Parsons if that happens.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #578
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
So, now some buzz out of LA that Houston might be getting in on the Pau S&T to take Boozer. At first blush I'm inclined to think that they'd match on Parsons if that happens.
Would be crappy if they got both Boozer and Parsons.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #579
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Blair's still a possibility for vet min, I think.

Edit: if not clear, I was chiming in on EL and rabbit's conversation with the above.
I like Blair, unlike many here, but I don't think he ultimately plugs the hole by himself. I still think we'd need to get another C/PF if we got him, because just like Wright, he can't always be out there.

He's excellent in some situations. Pretty good in others, but about 50% of the time, he just can't see the floor-- kinda like Wright.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #580
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Would be crappy if they got both Boozer and Parsons.
Would it be unethical and/or illegal to start negotiations with LA/Chicago just to make sure the waters are muddy until Monday morning?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #581
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

If they get Boozer and blow their cap, they match Parsons for sure
Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #582
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It's true that the Mavs will have Montas early bird rights, but he will have a pretty sizeable cap hold until he is re-signed. Won't be like the Wright or Parsons situation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #583
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I like Blair, unlike many here, but I don't think he ultimately plugs the hole by himself. I still think we'd need to get another C/PF if we got him, because just like Wright, he can't always be out there.

He's excellent in some situations. Pretty good in others, but about 50% of the time, he just can't see the floor-- kinda like Wright.
My perspective is that both Blair and Wright got overexposed at times last year because Daly was so unreliable. With Tyson as starter, I'm not concerned about that. The counterargument is: what if Tyson gets injured. But who's Dallas going to get with the room exception that makes up for that? Blair's good value at the vet min, and I'd be glad to see him come back at that price.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #584
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
My perspective is that both Blair and Wright got overexposed at times last year because Daly was so unreliable. With Tyson as starter, I'm not concerned about that. The counterargument is: what if Tyson gets injured. But who's Dallas going to get with the room exception that makes up for that? Blair's good value at the vet min, and I'd be glad to see him come back at that price.
Blair is definitely one of the best values at vet min. Then again, that's what many of us thought about Carter, so Blair may get a bit more. Still, if you can get Blair for that, then you have to.

Also, I think you have to assume that Chandler will be injured at least for a few games, but you are absolutely right-- I don't think there is anyone out there that could be relied on to fill in for that kind of contribution. Andersen for 5-10 games? Probably. Okafor if he's ever going to be healthy again with his neck? Perhaps.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-12-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #585
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

One thing Dallas has going for them with Blair is that (I think), Dallas would have his Early Bird rights next summer if he signs with them. Unless somebody else offers him a good mutli-year deal it'd arguably in his best interest to try to establish a basis for Dallas to be able to go over the cap to re-sign him at a higher rate next summer.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #586
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One thing Dallas has going for them with Blair is that (I think), Dallas would have his Early Bird rights next summer if he signs with them. Unless somebody else offers him a good mutli-year deal it'd arguably in his best interest to try to establish a basis for Dallas to be able to go over the cap to re-sign him at a higher rate next summer.
He would also, I believe, have a no-trade clause.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #587
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It's true that the Mavs will have Montas early bird rights, but he will have a pretty sizeable cap hold until he is re-signed. Won't be like the Wright or Parsons situation.
Shamsports says its a 10m cap hold, so like 1.7m more than his salary.

Dirk 10
Monta 10 cap hold
Parsons 15 (or Lance/Marion etc)
Harris 3
Crowder/Mekel/Ledo 3
2014 room exception player

So with Chandler+Wright gone, 15m cap space looks like pretty easy doable. So a big guy like Marc Gasol or Rondo or re-uppingh Chandler and adding a type like Afflalo. Looks good.-

Last edited by sefant77; 07-12-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #588
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@Jonathan_Feigen: Rockets are not a part of a sign-and-trade deal between the Bulls and Lakers, source said.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-12-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #589
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
That's going off of current position (non-Bird) (120% of current salary of 8.72 mill=10.5m) I assume.

By the end of this season, he'll be upgraded from Non-bird to Early-bird and his cap hold will be 175% of salary or 15.89mill which will be his new hold until re-signed or waived.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-12-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #590
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@Jonathan_Feigen: Rockets are not a part of a sign-and-trade deal between the Bulls and Lakers, source said.
Sunday night can't come soon enough...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #591
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
That's going off of current position (non-Bird) (120% of current salary of 8.72 mill=10.5m) I assume.

By the end of this season, he'll be upgraded from Non-bird to Early-bird and his cap hold will be 175% of salary or 15.89mill which will be his new hold until re-signed or waived.
No, as a standard early bird his cap hold will be 130% of this seasons' salary. So his hold will be just under 11 Million

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #592
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

Dirk 10
Monta 10 cap hold
Parsons 15 (or Lance/Marion etc)
Harris 3
Crowder/Mekel/Ledo 3
2014 room exception player

So with Chandler+Wright gone, 15m cap space looks like pretty easy doable. So a big guy like Marc Gasol or Rondo or re-uppingh Chandler and adding a type like Afflalo. Looks good.-
You forgot about Felton. I worked it up real quick in my spreadsheet and I think they'd have about 12.5 Mil if they renounced Tyson and didn't add any more salary beyond the Room Exception that carries into next season.

The Mavs will have some flexibility, but if they want to bring back Tyson and Monta they won't have a ton of other space to spend. In fact, they'd probably elect to stay over the cap and use their MLE and BAE in that scenario.

Edit: I forgot to up the actual Salary Cap number. Once I did that it brought it to 16Mil in space. So yes, they will have options, including renouncing Tyson AND Monta if they want to offer a max contract (and have some room left over).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-12-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #593
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
so far so good. about 31 hrs remain
Old 07-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #594
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Ariza to Houston: https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/488072252886245376

‏@sam_amick
The Houston Rockets have agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal with Trevor Ariza, @USATODAYsports has learned.

Last edited by particleman; 07-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #595
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
So...when do we hear from Houston that they aren't matching?

edit: also not a bad deal for 8mill/yr. They still have room for someone else.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-12-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #596
sefant77
Guru

With Felton there is may hope that he has a solid comeback season and opt out.

Or maybe we dump him at the beginning of offseason with cash/2nd rounder to raise our cap space
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #597
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Woj: With a 4-year, $32M agreement for free agent Trevor Ariza, Houston could still match offer sheet for Chandler Parsons, source tells Yahoo.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #598
sefant77
Guru

8m for Ariza, thats too cheap for this offseason. Morey still gonna match
Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #599
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Ariza to Houston: https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/488072252886245376

‏@sam_amick
The Houston Rockets have agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal with Trevor Ariza, @USATODAYsports has learned.
he could have had more money if he waited. maybe we keep parsons?

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #600
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
So...when do we hear from Houston that they aren't matching?
@sam_amick
Ariza's deal fully guaranteed,& it appears the Rockets may - MAY - still match on Chandler Parsons & play him as a stretch four at times.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/488073721928634368
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
is this clutchfans.net?, nonclutchfans.net