Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #561
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Pfft. Then you are one of the minority that likes their job. Congrats
Gee, I don't remember saying that. Apparently, you read way to much into what I wrote. A person certainly does not have to like or love their job to perform up to their ability level. In fact, I think it is common practice in the USA to do your best no matter how much you hate your job. It doesn't matter what you do for a living. Personally, I take pride and get satisfaction from doing things well. I happen to believe a heck of a lot of other people in this country feel the same way. For all the flak we get, American's work longer, harder and are more productive than anyone.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #562
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Gee, I don't remember saying that. Apparently, you read way to much into what I wrote. A person certainly does not have to like or love their job to perform up to their ability level. In fact, I think it is common practice in the USA to do your best no matter how much you hate your job. It doesn't matter what you do for a living. Personally, I take pride and get satisfaction from doing things well. I happen to believe a heck of a lot of other people in this country feel the same way. For all the flak we get, American's work longer, harder and are more productive than anyone.
ftr, I was joking.

but while I'm at it, this is just not true. It's not common practice to do your best no matter how much you hate your job. I don't know where you got that info from, what is your source?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #563
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Interesting piece over at http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1170928.html.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #564
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

So we are at 0-7 without Lam Lam now.

....I'm just sayin'.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #565
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have Rick Carlisle, Mavs given up on Lamar Odom?

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The Dallas Mavericks loved to brag on their team concept a year ago. They took the league by storm and the country latched on as they devoured the Lakers, Thunder and then the big, bad Heat.

Everyone was counted upon, everyone was needed, everyone showed up.

Saturday's box score shows why this team is different and limping toward the playoffs, if they even make it. Check the standings and the postseason is far from guaranteed. In a crucial game at Memphis, Dallas' rotation shrunk to a season-low. Yes, Jason Kidd (strained right groin) and Ian Mahinmi (fatherhood) weren't around for this one, but through this injury-marred season, when is the last time just seven Mavs played more than 20 minutes?

The chemistry that banded last season's team has never quite materialized with this one. Maybe when Kidd returns -- perhaps next week -- the offense will suddenly flow like wine, but that hasn't really been the case all season. Maybe one good win, and the next chance for that is Tuesday against Sacramento, is all this team needs for a jump start. Yet, every good game only seems to yield a clunker.

Saturday's 94-89 loss was a combination of both. Dallas, now 31-26, got routed in the opening quarter, trailing 26-6 after 11 minutes and 29-10 at the buzzer. After making 2-of-15 baskets in the first quarter, Dallas shot 55.2 percent the rest of the way, outrebounded Memphis and limited the Grizzlies to 38.8 percent shooting for the game -- numbers that typically win games.

Delonte West played 25 hard minutes on a bum left ankle and with a still-fragile, taped-up finger. Shawn Marion pulled down another double-double. Jason Terry played aggressively, collecting eight assists and 12 points. Brandan Wright went for 16 and six in 36 minutes. Dirk Nowitzki admittedly had one of his poorer games of the season, but he took a pounding for 36 minutes as Dallas desperately scraped to get back in a game they coughed away early.

"We had a lot of fighters out there tonight," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said. "Going down the stretch here, that’s what it’s going to be about."

The Mavs just didn't have enough of them Saturday. And it appears the worst-kept secret of the season is now becoming painfully obvious. Any hope that Lamar Odom, who some consider to be a mandatory X-factor along with Rodrigue Beaubois (who continues to be madly inconsistent) for postseason success -- was suddenly going to flip the switch, is all but lost.

This night would have been the perfect chance for him to gain respect among his teammates, even at this late date, to help them grind out a needed victory. Yet his coach couldn't even stomach more than the four minutes Odom spent on the floor in the first quarter, low-lighted by an awkward layup attempt that didn't have a prayer and an offensive foul.

He played 11 minutes in Friday's embarrassing loss. That was supposed to be the game that Odom would begin to gain momentum. At least that was the spin Carlisle put on it after Wednesday's big comeback win over the Grizzlies when Odom was so fatigued that he failed to box out his man early in the fourth quarter and was benched for the rest of the night. Coincidentally, Dallas then went on a 21-2 run to take charge of that game.

The silence regarding Odom's place on this team after this Grizzlies' loss, the Mavs' third in four games and second in a row, said all that needed to be said.

Carlisle, asked if there remains hope that Odom can provide anything for the team, said in a distant voice: "No Lamar questions tonight."

Nowitzki answered questions about the loss for four minutes, critical of his missed 3-pointer with a couple minutes to go and his two late turnovers. Then came the question about Odom, who had just finished getting dressed and walked out of the locker room to the team bus.

"I'm done talking about that," Nowitzki said as he turned away and ended the interview.

Even Odom was rendered speechless, a rarity for the 6-foot-10 forward. Regarding all his pine time Saturday, he tried to find words, then couldn't and finally shrugged his shoulders.

Asked if he's concerned that his role, or any role, is shrinking to nothingness, he said: "(Friday) night I didn’t play a lot, tonight same thing. At least there’s some consistency in that."

Odom tried to find an ounce of humor in the sad situation, but the reality is it appears Carlisle is done with the spin, done with the positive reinforcement and maybe even done putting Odom on the floor with nine games left that are so vital to the defending champs' postseason hopes in this strange, strange season.

"I can’t read it," Odom said of the immediate future. "It is what it is. What can I do? Coach is always right."

There was plenty of blame to go around for Saturday's loss. In the end, the Mavs did show pride, unwilling to go down with a whimper. Their fighters fought. They just didn't have enough.

"We've all got to play well, I think that’s obvious if we want to do something to make the playoffs or do some damage in the playoffs," Nowitzki said. "We all have to play at a high level. That’s what we did last year, we picked up some momentum, had everybody play well, defense and rebound. On offense, everybody shared the ball and played well together.

"That’s the only way we’re going to be able to do it this year. It’s not going to be one guy, it’s not going to be two guys. If we want to win, ultimately we’ve go to do it together and have everyone play at a high level. That’s the only way."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...-on-lamar-odom

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #566
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Please Cuban/Donnoe/Carlisle. Banish his @ss from the team. Just send his @ss home and tell him to not come back. He will still get a paycheck, but make sure that he doesn't ride with the team any longer. Make sure that he isn't on the bench during games.

The Mavs will be better for it in the long run.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #567
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

When nowitzki doesn't speak management better listen.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #568
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Please Cuban/Donnoe/Carlisle. Banish his @ss from the team. Just send his @ss home and tell him to not come back. He will still get a paycheck, but make sure that he doesn't ride with the team any longer. Make sure that he isn't on the bench during games.

The Mavs will be better for it in the long run.
Cuban is the reason why he is still on this team. Cuban over stepped the hierarchy of the team when he had that meeting with Lamar and his agent. That conversation should have been conducted with Carlisle and the team leaders who banished him in the first place.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #569
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Cuban is the reason why he is still on this team. Cuban over stepped the hierarchy of the team when he had that meeting with Lamar and his agent. That conversation should have been conducted with Carlisle and the team leaders who banished him in the first place.
You are probably right in some respect. But I also think they have all been trying to make it work, it is in their best interests.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #570
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

The sad thing is that probably everyone knows that they are still going to need Odom. No way Roddy, DoJo, Wright, Ian still would be on the team with this kind of attitude. They are still trying to make it work.

You simply can't roll with an inconsitent Carter and Marion, who wears himself down on the defensive end night in and night out. Cardinal? I love that dude, but let's be honest.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #571
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, he needs to stay at home then. Chemistry just not working with him, maybe/hopefully that changes things. But will they do that?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #572
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

They gave Lamar every chance in the world. He's left them no option but to sit him.

I don't know if Lamar spent the offseason eating Cheetos and playing Xbox or what but he sure does play like a guy that wasn't physically ready for a NBA season.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #573
dude1394
Guru

They need a decent odom, but right now this teams chemistry is crap and I would say its directly a result of odom. So is chemistry worth playing cardinal/yi going three guard.

I am honestly at the point that getting him out is a plus, just be done with it.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #574
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
The sad thing is that probably everyone knows that they are still going to need Odom. No way Roddy, DoJo, Wright, Ian still would be on the team with this kind of attitude. They are still trying to make it work.

You simply can't roll with an inconsitent Carter and Marion, who wears himself down on the defensive end night in and night out. Cardinal? I love that dude, but let's be honest.
Time for Carlisle to start getting creative then. Start giving Wright some minutes at power forward - you've got 9 games to figure out some sets that can get Wright in good spots despite being on the court with another center (like Haywood).

Or if he really doesn't think that will work, try Mahinmi. He's not a perfect high post, but I think he can get it done. He's got a half decent midrange jumper, and it puts him in position for cuts to the basket, which is probably the best facet of his game in a halfcourt setting. If you have him and Wright on the court at the same time, I think that gives you an interesting pair of post players to work with that could provide a serious spark due to the youth and athleticism they provide. It'll be a whole lot better than watching Odom go through the motions at PF as he puts up another 1-6 performance.

It may not be the ideal to have either one of those two out there at power forward, but we're past the stage where we can be crossing our fingers and hoping for a miracle turnaround for Odom. Carlisle needs to earn all that praise we heaped on him last year and figure out how to make lemonade from lemons here.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #575
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
You are probably right in some respect. But I also think they have all been trying to make it work, it is in their best interests.
If you have to go that far out to make it work, it may not be in your teams best interest.

I would like to see Wright slide into the back up PF position once Mahimni returns.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #576
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Time for Carlisle to start getting creative then. Start giving Wright some minutes at power forward - you've got 9 games to figure out some sets that can get Wright in good spots despite being on the court with another center (like Haywood).

Or if he really doesn't think that will work, try Mahinmi. He's not a perfect high post, but I think he can get it done. He's got a half decent midrange jumper, and it puts him in position for cuts to the basket, which is probably the best facet of his game in a halfcourt setting. If you have him and Wright on the court at the same time, I think that gives you an interesting pair of post players to work with that could provide a serious spark due to the youth and athleticism they provide. It'll be a whole lot better than watching Odom go through the motions at PF as he puts up another 1-6 performance.

It may not be the ideal to have either one of those two out there at power forward, but we're past the stage where we can be crossing our fingers and hoping for a miracle turnaround for Odom. Carlisle needs to earn all that praise we heaped on him last year and figure out how to make lemonade from lemons here.

We had the same idea.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #577
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:

The spacing gets pretty sketchy with Yawn or Wright at the 4, but I think you godda try it at this point 'cause BC (offense) and Yi (defense and rebounding) are worthless as back up 4's...and Lammy is...Lammy. This team could have had a real shot if he showed up. Ugh.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #578
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think getting Odom away from the team would cure a lot of things, just not strengthen their playoff outlook. Odom was supposed to be a big addition, you can't simply cut him and expect the Mavericks to be a contender this year.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #579
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think the biggest factor in Carlisle not trying Wright at the 4 is that none of our centers have been healthy - when was the last time that all three of them suited up for a game?

Last edited by Underdog; 04-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #580
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I think the biggest factor in Carlisle not trying Wright at the 4 is that none of our centers have been healthy - when was the last time that all three of them suited up for a game?
I also think they're not fond of the idea of having him as a 4 from a spacing perspective.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #581
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Players get rewarded with hard work and effort in Carlisle's system. Wright gets minutes because he doesn't try too hard to make an impact. He just knows the little things like positioning, timing, and staying focused. Odom doesn't do any of these things well.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-08-2012 at 11:17 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #582
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I also think they're not fond of the idea of having him as a 4 from a spacing perspective.
Yeah, but you have to try SOMETHING if Odom is on the outs...

Cardinal has been a bust this season (especially on offense), Yi obviously isn't ready for significant minutes and Marion can only be asked to do so much... Who else does that leave to play those 10-15 minutes when Dirk is on the bench?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #583
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think getting Odom away from the team would cure a lot of things, just not strengthen their playoff outlook. Odom was supposed to be a big addition, you can't simply cut him and expect the Mavericks to be a contender this year.
Of course not, but the Team is falling apart it seems and Odom is a big reason. The chemistry isn't there and no one trusts him right now...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #584
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
True, but we could go to a 3 guard lineup to counteract the spacing issue.
The Terry/Roddy/Carter/Marion/Wright lineup is what started that run in the 2nd. It got out and pushed the tempo. Secondly, Wright and Ian are very active as far as moving in the offense. They played with each other on the floor at the same time in the 3rd game against the Wolves. It was a really good run in the 1st half.

The team just needs to buy some time for Dirk at this point.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #585
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, but you have to try SOMETHING if Odom is on the outs...

Cardinal has been a bust this season (especially on offense), Yi obviously isn't ready for significant minutes and Marion can only be asked to do so much... Who else does that leave to play those 10-15 minutes when Dirk is on the bench?
It would help to have healthy guards to roll the "3GL" with Marion playing some 4.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #586
Underdog

Quote:
It would help to have healthy guards to roll the "3GL" with Marion playing some 4.
Yeah, it would help a lot of our problems if all sorts of guys could stay healthy - we've definitely been bitten by the injury bug this season...

Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #587
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't make your decisions based on what he was supposed to be, you need to make your decisions based on what he is. The Mavericks' playoff outlook IS stronger without Odom part of the picture, even if that isn't as strong as you were hoping.

I mean granted, there is always a chance that Odom somehow flips the switch in the playoffs and becomes the player we all thought he was going to be, but that chance is so infinitesimal at this point that it isn't even worth entertaining.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #588
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
First off, it's not really possible for an owner, especially one who's highly involved with the team on a day-to-day basis, to overstep the team's hierarchy. Secondly, it's my understanding that Lamar did talk to the players and Rick, and his return was actually punctuated by arguably his best game of the season, and a resulting surge of optimism and good will. Third, your comment about Cuban being the reason he's on the team presumes that there was some better option available, and I'm willing to bet that there wasn't, given that Lamar has long since sucked his way into having zero value on the trade market. For better or (almost certainly) for worse, the die was cast when the initial trade with the Lakers was made. I commend Cuban and the rest of the team for their activism and patience in trying to make the best out of what now appears to have been, from the get-go, and losing hand.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #589
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I'm having a hard time determining who might be a better four. Neither have a face up game worth a flip. I almost think yi would be the better choice but they just constantly use him only as picks and pop.

I'm thinking he is going to go three guards a lot.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #590
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, it would help a lot of our problems if all sorts of guys could stay healthy - we've definitely been bitten by the injury bug this season...
We have healthy guards..only like yi dojo can't play.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #591
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dirk's going to play 40 minutes a night in the playoffs, so I'm not sure any of that is necessary at this point. Make Marion the backup PF, make Carter a full time SF and move on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #592
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Dirk's going to play 40 minutes a night in the playoffs, so I'm not sure any of that is necessary at this point. Make Marion the backup PF, make Carter a full time SF and move on.
I'm fine with that too. Really, I'm fine with anything that results in us not needing to depend on Odom for a second of play in the playoffs. I was merely responding to the claim that we'd still need Odom since playing Marion at power forward was wearing him out.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #593
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
First off, it's not really possible for an owner, especially one who's highly involved with the team on a day-to-day basis, to overstep the team's hierarchy. Secondly, it's my understanding that Lamar did talk to the players and Rick, and his return was actually punctuated by arguably his best game of the season, and a resulting surge of optimism and good will. Third, your comment about Cuban being the reason he's on the team presumes that there was some better option available, and I'm willing to bet that there wasn't, given that Lamar has long since sucked his way into having zero value on the trade market. For better or (almost certainly) for worse, the die was cast when the initial trade with the Lakers was made. I commend Cuban and the rest of the team for their activism and patience in trying to make the best out of what now appears to have been, from the get-go, and losing hand.
I'm pretty sure the Mavs could have gotten a trade exception for him but Cuban thought Odom would come around just like most of us did.I don't think Cuban gave any Mav player as many chances as he's given Odom, the most important thing to a Mavs team is team chemistry and they have NONE right now and I don't think they will, Odom knows he's not coming back next season so he's probably thinking why should he even try when Cuban is gonna dump him in the summer, I know Cuban has to be pissed because he's paying Odom 8.9 mill to come off the bench and he's giving the Mavs nothing.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #594
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

The Mavs knew that they most-likely needed a productive Lamar Odom to somewhat compensate the loss of Tyson/Caron/Peja and be a legitimate contender this season. That and the fact that he's the reigning 6th man of the year with championship experience made them as patient as they could have possibly been. I would have never thought that Odom could be as bad as he turned out to be. It's just mind-boggling.

At this stage of the season, however, thinking about ending the Odom experiment does make sense. Is it more likely that he will flip the switch or that he will just continue to be a liability on the court and a distraction in the locker room? The latter seems more likely at this point.

It sucks because the Odom from last season could make a huge difference and greatly increase our postseason chances.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #595
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Not that this could ever be proved...but if Odom is tanking, this is borderline criminal...I hope someday in the future, someone will over hear him and tape some comments about how he purposely tanked in Dallas...so that Cuban/NBA can hit him hard....
Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #596
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maringa View Post
Not that this could ever be proved...but if Odom is tanking, this is borderline criminal...I hope someday in the future, someone will over hear him and tape some comments about how he purposely tanked in Dallas...so that Cuban/NBA can hit him hard....
A rouge tanker? Hmm, sounds very unlikely to say the least. I mean he has to get a contract so why would he ruin his reputation just to pull down a team? Not to mention that it would be pretty tough given the lack of minutes he gets
DTownKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #597
Dale4Saul2Red0

Dale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to all

LOL @ Kobe trying to defend Lamar
Dale4Saul2Red0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #598
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Lamar Odom, Mavs part ways

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...es-immediately

!!!!!!!
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #599
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Hot damn. Stein is going to be on the Skin show in 5 minutes to discuss.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #600
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hopehegetsgilloolyed, lamar odom > cadbane, lol khloe, odom's bag of rocks, odom's empty bag