Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #561
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

^ well said.

he's just being a baby. maybe they can talk him into a pay cut so he can go.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #562
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!

*applauds*
Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #563
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
WOW!

*applauds*
Those are NOT lukewarm sports opinions!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #564
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

LOVE IT.

This article was pretty much what I was saying - MY believes his own hype, and somehow is exempt from the COMMON condition of moving infield positions as you age. And he's a poorer fielder and not the hitter of some of the guys listed in that article.

Last edited by Rhylan; 02-10-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #565
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...-year-deal.ece

YES!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #566
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post

Ditto
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #567
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Six exclamation points?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #568
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Six exclamation points?
Well I originally had five and was about to hit submit. But it didn't look right so I added one more.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #569
mavspwnage
Golden Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6-ks_UP988
Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #570
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I certainly get your point here, but I would be careful in lumping Smith with Young. Smith put up a HELL of a year that led to him wanting a raise and, while I fully understand the "well if you have a down year can I renegotiate with you to take more money back" thought process, he didn't want to be traded and actually was a tremendous player. Young has none of those things going for him right now. He is not a tremendous player (never was) but he strongly believes he is. That is a dangerous situation for any team to be in and it is finally blowing up in our face.
I agree with you but ill add to it. I will NEVER complain about a football player holding out. They are COMPLETELY different scenarios. For one, in football if you have a bad year, they can simply cut you and not pay you at all/bring you back much cheaper. Nearly everyone forgets that when TO held out after his first season with the Eagles when he held out his only request was that the Eagles guarantee his contract. Football is such a violent game and the risk of injuries are so great that you simply have to get what you can while you can. As for the specific case of Emmitt vs Young, its a laughable comparison for a variety of reasons. Michael Young has never been a great player. Emmitt Smith is one of the ten best players in the history of the NFL. Emmitt held out after being offered a 4 year 9 million dollar contract when he was the best running back in the nfl and the most important player on a superbowl team(you could make an argument for irvin being as important as him to be fair). He also did not have a contract at the time he was holding out and had only made 3 million dollars in his career which meant he was rich but nowhere near wealthy. Michael Young on the other hand DOES have a contract, has negative value due to that ludicrous contract and is set for the rest of his life pretty much no matter what he does. The situations simply arent the same at all and to compare them is lunacy.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #571
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

From Warsh... Just saying...

* He does not plan on working Young out in the outfield as a possible right-handed OF option. He likes Mitch Moreland in that fifth OF role for now and wants Young getting used to first base and the rest of the infield.

* The manager said Young's a good enough athlete that he can make all the plays at first. Washington said Young needs to work on where he needs to be in terms of the various situations -- runners on base, cut off positioning, bunt plays. So that's what the focus will be as he works out there this spring.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #572
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love coach-speak.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #573
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Gotta love coach-speak.
I wonder if you still play this off if Warsh says "Young will get next to no time at first."

My bet? You would have posted it before me.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #574
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Cmon that's what it was. Young is athletic enough to make all the plays?

The rest if it is relevant enough. Seems to backup your opinion. Ill be curious to see how much time Mitch actually gets in the outfield.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #575
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Cmon that's what it was. Young is athletic enough to make all the plays?

The rest if it is relevant enough. Seems to backup your opinion. Ill be curious to see how much time Mitch actually gets in the outfield.
Wanna make the bet, or not?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #576
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

What were we betting again? 40 games started at first? Was there something on the line or just pride?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #577
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
What were we betting again? 40 games started at first? Was there something on the line or just pride?
1 million dollars.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #578
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i have a sneaking suspicion that Brandon Webb in 2011 is gonna equal Rich Harden in 2010.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #579
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
i have a sneaking suspicion that Brandon Webb in 2011 is gonna equal Rich Harden in 2010.
Well it isn't starting good, that's for sure. But hey, if the ball sinks like it has in the past and he can stay healthy all of this initial trouble won't matter. We shall see.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #580
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
1 million dollars.
Barring significant injury to Moreland or two outfielders, yes I think MY starts less than 40 games at first base. I take that bet, for one million fake dollars.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #581
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Ill take it a step further, I bet Chris Davis has more major league starts at first base this year than Young.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #582
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Barring significant injury to Moreland or two outfielders, yes I think MY starts less than 40 games at first base. I take that bet, for one million fake dollars.
Who said anything about fake dollars. Take the bet as proposed or chicken shit away.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #583
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Ill take it a step further, I bet Chris Davis has more major league starts at first base this year than Young.
I wish. If it meant he turned his career around and is what I always wanted him to be, AWESOME. Otherwise (and otherwise is by far the more likely choice), you my friend are crazy.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #584
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I wish. If it meant he turned his career around and is what I always wanted him to be, AWESOME. Otherwise (and otherwise is by far the more likely choice), you my friend are crazy.
I dont think it will be for the Rangers though... I think hes a perfect change of scenery/buy low candidate for someone else. I was kind of hoping for a Davis/Alex Gordon your failed prospect for mine trade but I dont think either team does that deal.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #585
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Its getting very close to spring time in Aggtown baby!....cannot wait!

Wait do people use Aggtown?....no matter I still call Hurricane Harbor, Wet n Wild
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #586
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Its getting very close to spring time in Aggtown baby!....cannot wait!

Wait do people use Aggtown?....no matter I still call Hurricane Harbor, Wet n Wild
I love the example from #1.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #587
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:
Urban Dictionary
1. agg town
Arlington, Texas. Da Hood.
Bitch we gone roll up on agg town this weekend and get some.

Hilarious
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #588
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Seriously this is how I felt about all this Mike Young stuff....I empathize with the kid!

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...ory?id=6146530

Last edited by Mav Addict; 02-22-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #589
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

[sarcasm]
Yeah, that Borbon is a defensive wiz... Glad we have him roaming center instead of Hamilton! Likewise, it is quite nice to see that the reason that Young won't play as much 1st base as I might prefer is directly because of the extremely strong defender Mitch Moreland, who ironically enough played no role at all in Young's throwing error today.
[/sarcasm]

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-28-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #590
mkat
Platinum Member

i don't think you have to worry about Borbon. he'll take himself off the field with his play.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #591
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The defensive wiz Borbon? 2 games played, 2 errors made...

FYI - Young had an error at 3B and didn't at 1B today... He also went 2-2. Coincidence?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #592
mkat
Platinum Member

Hamilton just can't play at center anymore if you want him in the line up. I don't know what they'll do there, but Hamilton isn't the long term answer.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #593
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Where are you Thiggy you sumbitch - these comments are directed right at you yet no participation. That's no fun for me.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #594
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Ha. I read them and rolled my eyes. I just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of responding.

The Feliz to the rotation bid seems to be gathering some steam. That should make you happy. That's the one issue that I would most prefer to be wrong about. I'd love for Feliz to make the rotation and have success.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #595
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ha. I read them and rolled my eyes. I just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of responding.

The Feliz to the rotation bid seems to be gathering some steam. That should make you happy. That's the one issue that I would most prefer to be wrong about. I'd love for Feliz to make the rotation and have success.
Hahaha...

Well, while you will most certainly end up wrong about Feliz (YAH YAH YAH!!!), I think given the quotes out there from yesterday's action (you know you read them) Young playing roughly 40 games at 1st seems much more likely as well.

Oh, and then there is Borbon...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #596
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

So much for Feliz starting. Apparently he prefers the closer's role. He still should start, and said he would if they feel it helps the team, but if his heart isn't in it...........
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #597
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Well it wasn't broken....didn't need to be fixed....let him finish games...this role is almost as important as a SP.

How many games did our SP's loose b/c of the closer?...or better yet...how many games did Cliff Lee loose b/c of our closers?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #598
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Well it wasn't broken....didn't need to be fixed....let him finish games...this role is almost as important as a SP.

How many games did our SP's loose b/c of the closer?...or better yet...how many games did Cliff Lee loose b/c of our closers?
1st or 2nd starters are way, way, way more valuable than closers.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #599
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Do you honestly think Neftali could become a #1 or #2....I don't...maybe a #3

EDIT: on this Rangers team?....maybe a #1 for a different ball club

Last edited by Mav Addict; 03-08-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #600
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Do you honestly think Neftali could become a #1 or #2....I don't...maybe a #3
He has been called the most talented pitcher on our team a couple of times this spring. Yes, absolutely I do. Absolutely. If given a full opportunity to grow through any pains this year, I absolutely believe he would become that.