Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #561
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Hell no. If this is the best we can do with the DUST chip, then no, I would not be optimistic about the future. At all. This would be like Plan H.

That sounds about right...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-08-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #562
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Worst case move.

Or maybe in a crazy move Don wanna add a Ellis-Terry+pick swap since Curry is the new star there and i still dont see Curry and Ellis working good together.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=5546412

But this would be allready stealing even if it would help the selling of the warriors franchise. Or maybe Don likes Terry too much.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-08-2010 at 09:27 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #563
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

When thinking about hypothetical Damp-trade proposals I try to ask myself: would the Mavs prefer this deal to one in which they simply ship Damp off to a team under the cap for a 13 million dollar trade exception? I feel pretty confident that in the case of Skin's Biedrins/Rad musing the answer would be no. I suspect the same would also be true of his AK/#9 swap from the previous page.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #564
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy B is back in the Big D.

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/roddy.html

Livestream.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #565
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

I used to like Biedrins but not so much lately. If we would have had him earlier I would have liked the deal but he has spent too much time with GS and Nellie who is a center killer. Perhaps if he were to share time withHaywood it would be OK.

I also wouldn't mind if Damp would play for the min. It would be a good thing. But I mean getting DAMP TOPLAY. But one needs to consider Damps personality. He is the type who always gives the minimum effort. As a back up and for the min salary you would see an even lower level of commitment form him. Also RC is an Idiot and actually might start him since he is still living in the seventys and Damps type reflects his image of the perfect center.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #566
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

There are only a few people that I want on this team when it's all said and done.

DIRK
RODDY B.
Kidd
Haywood
Marion

Everyone else is expendable in my eyes.

those in caps mean if they're not here, I will never watch a Mavs game again
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #567
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Is it July 1st yet?

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #568
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
Is it July 1st yet?

Not quite, but it's an early Christmas in the Devin Harris household....
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #569
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
Is it July 1st yet?
Ah, yes, yes it is. Clearly, the date on your computer that says 6/9/10 is just trying to trick you. Don't believe it!
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #570
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBEEF View Post
There are only a few people that I want on this team when it's all said and done.

DIRK
RODDY B.
Kidd
Haywood
Marion

So if the Mavs pulled off a S&T for Lebron, but lost Roddy in the process, you'd never watch a Mavs game again?
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #571
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBEEF View Post

DIRK
RODDY B.
Kidd
Haywood
Marion

F Kidd and Marion as far as this goes. Those two are expandable immediately in my book.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #572
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
F Kidd and Marion as far as this goes. Those two are expandable immediately in my book.
I'm inclined to agree.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #573
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
So if the Mavs pulled off a S&T for Lebron, but lost Roddy in the process, you'd never watch a Mavs game again?
well if you put it that way, so sad Roddy B! We could've been great together but you understand this is business...
Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #574
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVN-f...layer_embedded

anyone see this live?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #575
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

And the undervaluing of Marion (and defense along with him) continues.

Seriously, anyone ready to kick Marion to the curb is certifiable.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-10-2010 at 09:08 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #576
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Bleh. Defense is good but not great. I don't know what kick to the curb even means. Tons of missed layups stick out more than anything. Anyone who thinks Marion and Kidd are on the do not trade list are certifiable.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #577
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bleh. Defense is good but not great. I don't know what kick to the curb even means. Tons of missed layups stick out more than anything. Anyone who thinks Marion and Kidd are on the do not trade list are certifiable.
Whatever 'kick to the curb' means, I'm pretty sure it's a different sentiment than saying 'tradable if a good deal comes along', or even, 'we should explore options for upgrading'. For example, one can make a sound argument for taking either of the latter two perspectives with regard to Kidd and Marion, whereas the first statement can be more justifiably uttered in reference to people who think that Kidd and Marion should be kicked to the curb.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #578
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

"Expendable immediately" to me means actively looking to trade for anything resembling fair value.

And if you're looking to do so with Marion you're insane. And if you think his defense was merely "good" you're even more insane.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-10-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #579
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I never felt like Marion ever really got into the flow of whatever offense Rick was putting out there, regardless of his bad misses. He fell victim to taking a lesser role, thus not really getting any recognition for his defense. But the guy didn't really complain at all this season about whatever his role was. Shame that being a team player in this league doesn't get more recognition.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #580
SMC0007
Guru

If fair value means someone who can hit layups and chipies, playing decent defense, maybe can some 3's here and there. I am on that side of the line in the sand.

"those in caps mean if they're not here, I will never watch a Mavs game again"

^ That to me.. means that they are such an integral part of this thing winning it all, that this team wouldn't be watchable if they weren't here.

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #581
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk seems to be dating Martin and Marcus Olsson's sister, Jessica Olson.

Dirk meeting with her family (brothers) recently..

http://dallasbasketballdotcom.yuku.com/topic/45523

The good news is, she lives in Dallas... and Dirk seems happy.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 06-10-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #582
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
If fair value means someone who can hit layups and chipies, playing decent defense, maybe can some 3's here and there. I am on that side of the line in the sand.

"those in caps mean if they're not here, I will never watch a Mavs game again"

^ That to me.. means that they are such an integral part of this thing winning it all, that this team wouldn't be watchable if they weren't here.
The original post was absurd, no argument there.

But I think you're just about as insane if you'd trade Marion for what you described above. Marion was an integral part of this team last season, and should continue to be. People forget just how well we defended the elite swing men of the NBA last season, that is almost completely due to Marion.

He's a crucial part of the team. Actively looking to trade him is ridiculous.

And despite his admittedly aggravating penchant for missing bunnes, I will take 12 ppg on 50% shooting from a player that is also giving you elite level defense while guarding players ranging in size from Monta Ellis to Chris Bosh every damn day of the week.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 06-10-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #583
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If it were absolutely essential to the trade then they should do it. But they would be fools if they didn't try to do everything else first. I would consider Roddy next to Dirk as the hardest player to replace. He hasn't even touched his potential which means he is at his least valuable right now. To replace Roddy type of player would be very expensive later on. The quick points are the future of the NBA and everyone is going to want one soon.
The person who is going to be expendable if we got LB is Kidd. With LeBron on the floor Kidds strengths will not be needed as much. Lebron is a playmaker who requires the ball to be in his hands. Between Lebron, Dirk and Roddy who will only improve you have three players who can create shots for themselves and others with the ball in their hands. That would relegate Kidd to a spot up shooter and that would not make up for his libility on defense. I think we are stuck with him because everyone now ( except for his rabid fans) that he is not worth his contract anymore. He could still be valuable but not as a starting point.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #584
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
If it were absolutely essential to the trade then they should do it. But they would be fools if they didn't try to do everything else first. I would consider Roddy next to Dirk as the hardest player to replace. He hasn't even touched his potential which means he is at his least valuable right now. To replace Roddy type of player would be very expensive later on. The quick points are the future of the NBA and everyone is going to want one soon.
The person who is going to be expendable if we got LB is Kidd. With LeBron on the floor Kidds strengths will not be needed as much. Lebron is a playmaker who requires the ball to be in his hands. Between Lebron, Dirk and Roddy who will only improve you have three players who can create shots for themselves and others with the ball in their hands. That would relegate Kidd to a spot up shooter and that would not make up for his libility on defense. I think we are stuck with him because everyone now ( except for his rabid fans) that he is not worth his contract anymore. He could still be valuable but not as a starting point.
i know what you're saying but Kidd is not so expendable as people think. he more than earned what he made this season. he had a poor showing in the playoffs but he a great year overall. i wish that management had gotten a true backup or better yet let Roddy learn on the job 15 mins a night. we would have lost a few more games but in retrospect it would have been worth it w/ Kidd playing closer to 30 mins a night. but Kidd was stellar as was Marion.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #585
KINGBEEF

honestly in laymen terms: As long as we have Dirk and Roddy B. everyone else can be traded. Now if Roddy's part of a deal that will land Lebron on our team, so be it. But Kidd can definitely be traded along with Marion and Haywood. I would just hate to see those guys go. That's all I was saying. Everyone else on the team I wouldn't have a problem with them being traded.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #586
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

But I think you're just about as insane if you'd trade Marion for what you described above. Marion was an integral part of this team last season, and should continue to be. People forget just how well we defended the elite swing men of the NBA last season, that is almost completely due to Marion.

And despite his admittedly aggravating penchant for missing bunnes, I will take 12 ppg on 50% shooting from a player that is also giving you elite level defense while guarding players ranging in size from Monta Ellis to Chris Bosh every damn day of the week.

Except in the S.A. series. Who guarded Ginobili, Parker or Hill?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #587
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Marion. He was solely responsible for all three of those guys constantly going off all at once. It was all his fault.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #588
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Marion. He was solely responsible for all three of those guys constantly going off all at once. It was all his fault.
When JJ and JET are on the floor, he might as well have been...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #589
SMC0007
Guru

He has should have done better

Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #590
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Marion guarded Ginobili quite a bit. He struggled the first couple of games but overall Ginobili didn't exactly have a great series.

And to my recollection Marion guarded Parker more towards the end of the series, and he did a nice job.

If you're taking the stance that Shawn Marion is not an elite defender, then you're wrong.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #591
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:

Speak the truth!!
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #592
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Marion guarded Ginobili quite a bit. He struggled the first couple of games but overall Ginobili didn't exactly have a great series.

And to my recollection Marion guarded Parker more towards the end of the series, and he did a nice job.

If you're taking the stance that Shawn Marion is not an elite defender, then you're wrong.
I'm taking the stance of you are over-selling/over-valuing Marion, maybe to make up for a lack of general respect that you think mavs fans should have for his good (not defensive p.o.y. caliber) defense. He's just not that good broham.

Also fwiw, Ginobili wasn't the same after his nose was smashed. It's not like Marion shut him down.

I don't want to get extreme opposites here for the sake of arguing, I just do not agree that he OR Kidd are part of the team you can't live or watch without.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #593
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

He's obviously not untouchable by any stretch. But he's an elite level defender. Not the best, but he's absolutely in the upper echelon of swing defenders in the NBA. And I'm glad he's here.

Just go back and look at what Kobe, Carmelo and Durant did against us this year. Then remember how he guarded Monta Ellis a bunch. And others.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #594
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Kobe Bryant vs. Dallas: 16.2ppg on 46% true shooting
Carmelo Anthony vs. Dallas: 15 ppg on 40.6% true shooting
Kevin Durant vs Dallas: 22.5 ppg on 45.4% true shooting
LeBron James vs Dallas: 25 ppg on 50.9% true shooting

If you don't see what Marion did for the Mavs defensively last season you weren't paying close enough attention.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #595
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post

If you don't see what Marion did for the Mavs defensively last season you weren't paying close enough attention.
What, you don't miss this?

Or this?

Or this?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-11-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #596
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Carmelo Anthony vs. Dallas: 15 ppg on 40.6% true shooting
Kevin Durant vs Dallas: 22.5 ppg on 45.4% true shooting
LeBron James vs Dallas: 25 ppg on 50.9% true shooting

Lebron vs Dallas game1 he had 25pts/12a/5r. How is that not a great game? Game2 25/6 another good game.

While Kobe Bryant didn't play that well vs Dallas in his defense, he had a major blowout in one of the games and averaged less minutes vs Dal overall.

Joe Johnson vs Dal 29ppg, 2nd highest behind OKC(30), then there is a drop off vs other teams. 8ppg higher than his season avg 21ppg.

Paul Pierce avg 26.5 vs Dal, the highest of any team. His season avg was 18ppg.

D Wade vs Dal, had 1 game at 28/11r/5a

J Rich vs Dal, avg 20ppg. His avg was 15ppg

Thats just glancing at some numbers of other good players without digging to deep. Don't have the patience to see if Marion was out any of those games or if he covered them all game. A.D.D. kicked in.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #597
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Lebron vs Dallas game1 he had 25pts/12a/5r. How is that not a great game?
Great? He averaged 30 ppg this season. How is 25 points from Lebron "great"?

Quote:
Game2 25/6 another good game.
His points, rebounds and assists were all below his season averages. He shot 9-23 from the field. He only had a handful of games all year where he shot worse than that. This was a bad game. Decidedly bad.

Quote:
While Kobe Bryant didn't play that well vs Dallas in his defense, he had a major blowout in one of the games and averaged less minutes vs Dal overall.
How many minutes he played does not affect how he shot. We defended Kobe better than ever this year. There is no argument.

Quote:
Joe Johnson vs Dal 29ppg, 2nd highest behind OKC(30), then there is a drop off vs other teams. 8ppg higher than his season avg 21ppg.
I can't really remember, but given the number of athletes Atlanta generally has on the floor, I'm willing to bet Marion didn't spend much time guarding him.

Quote:
Paul Pierce avg 26.5 vs Dal, the highest of any team. His season avg was 18ppg.
No real argument here. Pierce appears to have had Marion's number this year.

Quote:
D Wade vs Dal, had 1 game at 28/11r/5a
8/24 from the floor. Average game at best.

Quote:
J Rich vs Dal, avg 20ppg. His avg was 15ppg
As with Johnson, not sure how much time Marion spent guarding JRich. Not their primary offensive player.

I find it hard to believe that you're really trying to make the case that Marion didn't have a dramatic effect on the defensive end of the floor. It's silly at best.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #598
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Great? He averaged 30 ppg this season. How is 25 points from Lebron "great"?
25pts and 12 ast is not great? really? Your happy with Marions 12ppg and 50% shooting but scoff at 25/12. That figures.

Quote:
I can't really remember, but given the number of athletes Atlanta generally has on the floor, I'm willing to bet Marion didn't spend much time guarding him.

Probably not a safe bet. Why not put your best defender on him? I'm sure he guarded him or tried to. You can get away with a lesser defender on Williams. EDIT*In fact Marion was guarding Joe Johnson in the videos I just watched.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that you're really trying to make the case that Marion didn't have a dramatic effect on the defensive end of the floor. It's silly at best.
[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous, insane, silly. I've read it all before time and again got anything different? You over-value Marion a bit imo in the same way you over-value Damp imo. Marion is a good defender, I don't think he is as "great" as you claim. I'm just not a big fan of his game overall, I grew a little tired of the lack of offense and missed short ones most would call gimmies. I would still NOT CALL HIM A PLAYER WE CAN'T LIVE or WATCH WITHOUT, which is where this originated.

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-11-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #599
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
25pts and 12 ast is not great? really? Your happy with Marions 12ppg and 50% shooting but scoff at 25/12. That figures.

i am sorry... but all other arguments aside, THIS is just being willfully stupid.

Lebron James is rated on the Lebron James scale. nobody else is. Period. you should compare Lebron James' stats to Shawn Marions if and when somebody suggests trading the two players for each other (or when somebody tries to argue AGAINST that trade).

seriously.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #600
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Ridiculous, insane, silly. I've read it all before time and again got anything different? You over-value Marion a bit imo in the same way you over-value Damp imo. Marion is a good defender, I don't think he is as "great" as you claim. I'm just not a big fan of his game overall, I grew a little tired of the lack of offense and missed short ones most would call gimmies. I would still NOT CALL HIM A PLAYER WE CAN'T LIVE or WATCH WITHOUT, which is where this originated.
Anything else? You mean other than taking apart your post point for point? You used slash lines without any other supporting data to argue that a player had a good game. That, alone, is enough to make your argument baseless.

The majority of elite scoring swingmen saw serious dips in their output when they played the Mavs last season. Shawn Marion is much better than a "good" defender. If you want to disagree, fine, nothing against that (although it's one of the more baseless stances around here in a while). But don't bring completely faulty logic like that post above. You'd be better off just sticking with opinion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...