Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #561
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
the most we would get is flashing glances back and forth...but even that would get me hot.

lets try to keep this out of the thread on children's books, ok?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #562
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to forget the fact that 90% of the pensieve scenes will be wrong or nonexistent, I'm trying to be happy that nothing seen from Gambon on the teaser trailer(who is featured heavily) looks like his usual crazy-mean-arse-dumbledore.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #563
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Gambon has been "fine"...he just isn't Harris. Who can blame him for that?

I would like to see (and expect to see) a better Dumbledore from here on out.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #564
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gambon has been "fine"...he just isn't Harris. Who can blame him for that?

I would like to see (and expect to see) a better Dumbledore from here on out.
No, he has not been "fine". He's been awful.

He has absolutely no feel for the character. Anyone can play a somewhat refined old man.

He should have been fired for his work in the scene in the GOF immediately after Harry's name came out of the Goblet, along with anyone who felt like his portrayal was acceptable.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #565
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Richard Harris.

The real Dumbledore.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #566
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Snape kills Dumbledore !! SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!!!

Dumbledore is dead.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #567
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
No, he has not been "fine". He's been awful.

He has absolutely no feel for the character. Anyone can play a somewhat refined old man.

He should have been fired for his work in the scene in the GOF immediately after Harry's name came out of the Goblet, along with anyone who felt like his portrayal was acceptable.
because its up to the actor to determine how to play a scene? Please people, let realize that falls on a director.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #568
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was fine to good in POA. I thought he added a little bit of very Dumbledore like comedy that Harris actually didn't do...

But in GOF, he was downright miserable.

In OOTP....no strong feelings I guess.

HBP will be his first (and kind of last) large Dumbledore responsibility. From the teaser trailer his demeanor looks appropriate. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd have thought that Jo would've said something to the film people by now about him....maybe she has. We'll never know.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #569
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

One thing about having such low expectations is that you get a little pleasantly surprised sometimes. I could look back through this thread to see what I thought of OOTP the morning after, but I think I was kind of pleased. I liked it better than I thought I would.

I think that GOF is going to end up being the Star Trek V, or Phantom Menace of this movie franchise.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #570
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I think that GOF is going to end up being the Star Trek V, or Phantom Menace of this movie franchise.
Which kills me because that was, and still is after 4 readings, my favorite of the series.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #571
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
because its up to the actor to determine how to play a scene? Please people, let realize that falls on a director.
Disagree. That scene (at least the part that was ridiculous) was driven by Dumbledore's character and personality. They dictated his response to the situation and thus his actions towards Harry and others in the room.

It's on the actor to have a firm enough grasp on his character to know how to play that. The sad thing is, in this situation all the actor has to do is sit down and READ. It was embarassing.

Obviously the director takes a share of the blame, but it's up the actor to know his character.

I have a weird obcession with that scene. I think it was the moment I realized the people in charge just didn't "get" the books. At least in the movie they didn't.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #572
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Which kills me because that was, and still is after 4 readings, my favorite of the series.
THBP is my favorite...and I'm a bit nerrrrrrrrrrvous. (Seattle Slew takes a bow)

Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #573
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Really, interesting.

I'd say of the five that really matter, it's my least favorite. Not that I dislike it, obviously. But I'd rank it below OOTP by a narrow margin.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #574
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Really, interesting.

I'd say of the five that really matter, it's my least favorite. Not that I dislike it, obviously. But I'd rank it below OOTP by a narrow margin.
I with ya thiggy...Just didn't like how we were supposed to care about characters we know will most likely NOT (edit) be important past this book (which proved true for the most part).

Last edited by sike; 07-30-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #575
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Really, interesting.

In general I think I like the books, best to least, in reverse order except for swapping 4 and 5 maybe. 7,6,4,5,3,2,1.

I think they just got better and better as they went, and not just because of the plot. I thought her style and wit got better as she went along.

For the movies, I go: 3,5,2,1,4.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #576
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I liked how it built Harry's character. We got to see in him something that I hope to see in my children.... watching him face hard decisions and make the right decision.

If I were going to admit to almost shedding tears on any of the books, I would have told you it was during the Cemetary scene in the book. But I would never admit that if it were true. And I had seen the movie before the book. I didn't really understand the full depth of what was actually going on when I saw the movie though. And that's sad.... because isn't that the point of having the movie? To actually tell the story?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #577
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
In general I think I like the books, best to least, in reverse order except for swapping 4 and 5 maybe. 7,6,4,5,3,2,1.

I think they just got better and better as they went, and not just because of the plot. I thought her style and wit got better as she went along.

For the movies, I go: 3,5,2,1,4.
In general I agree except that I have a soft spot for PoA for some reason.

I think the kids entering the tunnel under the Willow was the first "can't put the book down until I'm done" moment of the series, which is why I like it so much.

And U2, I get what you're saying on the reasoning.

And I think I'll take this moment to give the yearly reminder that you owe Flac and I a debt of grattitude on the move/book front.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #578
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Man, you guys are nerds.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #579
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought he was fine to good in POA. I thought he added a little bit of very Dumbledore like comedy that Harris actually didn't do...

But in GOF, he was downright miserable.

In OOTP....no strong feelings I guess.

HBP will be his first (and kind of last) large Dumbledore responsibility. From the teaser trailer his demeanor looks appropriate. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd have thought that Jo would've said something to the film people by now about him....maybe she has. We'll never know.
the reason you have no strong feelings about him in ootp is that its the book dumbledore is the least important in(including the last one that he isnt even alive in) which is what scares me to death about the movie hbp because dumbledore is SOOOOOO important in that movie and he cant just not suck in that movie, hes got to actually be darn good or its going to mess up the movie and i just dont see him being darn good.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #580
sike
The Preacha

I also owe the nerds in this thread a annual thank you for the impetus to read the series...

Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #581
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Five-o - *Yates has solved that problem by making the focus of this film the relationship side of the book. Ron/Lavender/Hermione - Ginny/Harry.

* - This is a u2 prediction. Not known fact. However, I base that off of Yates interviews.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #582
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Five-o - *Yates has solved that problem by making the focus of this film the relationship side of the book. Ron/Lavender/Hermione - Ginny/Harry.

* - This is a u2 prediction. Not known fact. However, I base that off of Yates interviews.
"solved the problem" in heavy, HEAVY quotations, no?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #583
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

That's what that ssssppppaaaaaare did with GOF. Remember my rants on how much of the movie was spent on the freaking Yule Ball?

I gotta give Yates credit for hardly any Harry/Cho crap in the last movie. That was just the right amount...almost none at all.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #584
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

i really really hope not. i mean the ron/hermione and harry/ginny relationships are important and because of its implications to the ron/hermione relationship the ron/lavender relationship is important but the focus of this book has to be the harry/dumbledore relationship, the plot to kill dumbledore and the quest to understand voldy. I dont see anyway dumbledore isnt the second most important character in this movie...

Last edited by Five-ofan; 07-30-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #585
Five-ofan
Guru

i have the solution, let someone who has actually read and enjoyed the books direct the movie...
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #586
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Well obviously I know the important focus of the book. I just don't have faith that Yates does.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #587
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
i have the solution, let someone who has actually read and enjoyed the books direct the movie...
That would have been good..... Yates is already signed up for DH though.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #588
sike
The Preacha

If he continues to improve like with OOTP, I'll be perfectly happy....though the story is only getting more complicated...

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #589
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
If he continues to improve like with OOTP, I'll be perfectly happy....though the story is only getting more complicated...
the reason he improved with ootp is that ootp had very clear cu things that could be easily left out of a movie while the hbp doesnt really have stuff to leave out. He'll have to leave some stuff out but i have a feeling he'll screw up what to leave out and how to fit it together.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #590
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
the reason he improved with ootp is that ootp had very clear cu things that could be easily left out of a movie while the hbp doesnt really have stuff to leave out. He'll have to leave some stuff out but i have a feeling he'll screw up what to leave out and how to fit it together.
There is no way this movie isn't awesome. Book it, doubters. Filled with plenty of Dumbledore and Young Voldy...

"Did he say awesome?"

Yes, yes I did.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #591
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
There is no way this movie isn't awesome. Book it, doubters. Filled with plenty of Dumbledore and Young Voldy...

"Did he say awesome?"

Yes, yes I did.
oh im quite certain it will be good. the question is will it be as good as it could be.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #592
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mugglenet has screen shot by screen shot "walk through" of the trailer here.

Interesting tidbits - It shows Harry running through a field, with Draco(?) watching him? I'm racking my brain but coming up with nothing. Unless, perhaps it's a poor representation of the ROR where he is hiding his book and they put Draco in there too for dramatic effect? Or perhaps it's after Katie gets cursed and he's running to get help? If that's it though, Draco should be in detention with Minerva.

Then there is this picture..... And this is, who? It's not Tonks, is it Ginny? She's in the fields too it appears. Is this part of the fabricated part of the story the producers said they were adding at the Burrow?
Doesn't look like draco to me. Hair is dark and he's sporting a goatee... And it looks like Ginny to me.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #593
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

No Hepzibah Smith. No Gaunts. No Professor Trelawney.... no problem.

And the locket is probably buried under some floorboard in the Hogs head.

Whatever

(I'm quite looking forward to it actually)
Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #594
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
oh im quite certain it will be good. the question is will it be as good as it could be.
well, the simple answer to that is no. Adaptations NEVER are. Even Jackson's Rings flicks could have been better.

I'm just hoping it will be a very good cinematic version of the story.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #595
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is most vexing.

http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/trailer.php?number=32

The only thing I can say about this person in this picture, is that it must be Fenrir Greyback. That is the only possible character that has actually been cast for this movie that I could possibly see this being.

As far as the scene itself...no idea.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #596
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
This is most vexing.

http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/trailer.php?number=32

The only thing I can say about this person in this picture, is that it must be Fenrir Greyback. That is the only possible character that has actually been cast for this movie that I could possibly see this being.

As far as the scene itself...no idea.
Greyback makes sense...

Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #597
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They cast a MMA fighter as Greyback, so at least the guy was already in the entertainment industry.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #598
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
They cast a MMA fighter as Greyback, so at least the guy was already in the entertainment industry.
rock me.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #599
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i was thinking it was greyback as well. That's the pic U2 was asking whether it was draco.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #600
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
well, the simple answer to that is no. Adaptations NEVER are. Even Jackson's Rings flicks could have been better.

I'm just hoping it will be a very good cinematic version of the story.
actually i disagree. the lotr movies are a good bit better than the books imo. The hobbit was a better book than any of the lotr books. The LOTR books were a marvel of creativity but they drag quite a bit...(i know its blasphemy to fantasy book readers to say that)

Tags
dumbledore is gay q=(, dumbledore kills snape, failed to cast leviosa, harry chases small balls, my elder wand is magical, snape dapes rumbledore, snape kills dumbledore, voldemort > harry, voldemort is awesome, your mom is awesome