Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #561
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Especially considering they missed a 47 yarder to win it themselves.
Yea that was the sad part of things. I think I heard them in the telecast say that they felt bad for Bills kickers because they have to kick in stadium that isn't friendly to field goals? That guy booted that 57 yarder. Folk kicked it twice in a row from 51. Not sure though if that was in Dallas or Buffalo. I want to say I remember seeing the faces of Buffalo fans after Folk made that field goal lol.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #562
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Yea that was the sad part of things. I think I heard them in the telecast say that they felt bad for Bills kickers because they have to kick in stadium that isn't friendly to field goals? That guy booted that 57 yarder. Folk kicked it twice in a row from 51. Not sure though if that was in Dallas or Buffalo. I want to say I remember seeing the faces of Buffalo fans after Folk made that field goal lol.
It was in Buffalo for the Cowboys and just for argument sake, I think they were "kicking into the wind." I think I heard Mike Tirico say that the Cleveland kicker had the wind at his back.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #563
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
It was in Buffalo for the Cowboys and just for argument sake, I think they were "kicking into the wind." I think I heard Mike Tirico say that the Cleveland kicker had the wind at his back.
Oh they were? I heard them say something about the wind was going left to right. That was when the Bills kicker was kicking though.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #564
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, maybe be wrong but I thought he said that Phil Dawson (CLE kicker) had the wind at his back...so that would be left to right.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #565
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, Phil Dawson just hit a 56-yarder to put Cleveland up 2 over Buffalo with 1:39 left to play. Good game going on.
He didn't just hit it, he make it look casual and easy. That guy is a hell of a kicker.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #566
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't the Folk kick from 53?

I love that guy, btw.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 AM   #567
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I have to question the way the Browns managed the game at the end. With 2 minutes to go, and the ball at their 40 yard line, they throw the ball three times (all for incompletions)? Why not run the ball and try to chew up time on the clock so Buffalo doesn't get such an easy opportunity themselves? Not to mention, they would have probably gotten closer than relying on their quarterback sporting a measly 39% completion percentage.

They ended up leaving their kicker with a 56 yard field goal and their opponent with plenty of time. Also, I realize the Buffalo returner had just broken one for a touchdown, but to try to avoid the guy that much and let Buffalo get to the 45 when they only needed a field goal didn't seem smart to me.

I'm thinking Crennel got lucky he escaped with a win; otherwise, he would have been hearing it from fans tomorrow.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-18-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 AM   #568
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Jim Kelly's expression says it all. :lol:
Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 AM   #569
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Heh. On the other hand, the guy should be pretty used to suffering demoralizing losses after being Super Bowl runner-up four straight years.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-18-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 AM   #570
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Wide right haunts them everyday.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #571
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Bills...

Quote:
I have to question the way the Browns managed the game at the end. With 2 minutes to go, and the ball at their 40 yard line, they throw the ball three times (all for incompletions)? Why not run the ball and try to chew up time on the clock so Buffalo doesn't get such an easy opportunity themselves? Not to mention, they would have probably gotten closer than relying on their quarterback sporting a measly 39% completion percentage.
No kidding... I thought those decisions cost them the game when the Bills guy returned the ball to almost midfield. The Browns are very lucky that didn't bite them big time.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #572
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Romeo Crennel has a history of HORRIBLE clock management, much like Andy Reid.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #573
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
He didn't just hit it, he make it look casual and easy. That guy is a hell of a kicker.
Isn't he from Lake Highlands?

I've loved the guy since he stepped foot on campus at UT.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #574
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Romeo Crennel has a history of HORRIBLE clock management, much like Andy Reid.
great point.

Contact Me
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #575
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Heh. On the other hand, the guy should be pretty used to suffering demoralizing losses after being Super Bowl runner-up four straight years.
By the look on his face it looks as if Kelly is having flashbacks. I wonder was Emmitt laughing in the booth at his reaction lol.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #576
alby
Guru

Emmitt wasn't part of the wide right heartbreak

Contact Me
Old 11-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #577
BGMaverick9
Guru

Looks like the Jets are trying to knock off the Titans. Favre has looked good on his drives with only one mistake so far, but the Titans drove down effectively for once to finish off the half.

McNabb looks like he's pretty much ready to get the boot from the Eagles. Another terrible turnover day for him so far. 2 INTs and a fumble.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 11-23-2008 at 02:35 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #578
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So the Eagles are out.

After Carolina beats Atlanta today, the Cowboys should be looking like a lock for the playoffs.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #579
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Caro is not gonna beat Atlanta.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #580
BGMaverick9
Guru

The Jets are getting more confidence as the weeks go by. Teams in the AFC better watch out for them.

Patriots look like they'll be closer to getting a win in a huge game vs the Dolphins, both teams desperately need a win there.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #581
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol @ the eagles.

That's a for sure win for the Cowboys now.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #582
FINtastic
Diamond Member

You have to admire the greatness of Brett Favre. A 4-12 Jets team last year has just moved to 8-3 after having knocked off the Patriots and a previously undefeated Titans team.

And he's doing it all at the ripe young age of 39.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #583
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

wrong thread

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-23-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #584
BGMaverick9
Guru

Yeah, he's a big part of it, but not the sole reason. Their defense got a lot better with acquisitions and the O-line got some improvements as well. They are very balanced when they're rolling. Someone will try to shut down the run and Favre isn't slinging it around, he's making smart reads. When they try to take him away Jones can run free and Washington is a threat to take it down for a TD on any play.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #585
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Finally, the real game starts.

And why were Buck/Aikman doing the obviously lesser game today?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #586
FINtastic
Diamond Member

With Jacobs out and Burress dinged up, I'm thinking the Cardinals have a very real chance of pulling off an upset.

Let's go Cardinals!

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #587
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
lol @ the eagles.

That's a for sure win for the Cowboys now.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #588
BGMaverick9
Guru

I think they'll win...judging on how they're playing right now.

It would be a huge win for them, like the Jets game was for the Patriots last week. It would give them a ton of confidence.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #589
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Seattle up 10-7 on Washington early in the third quarter. Could be good for the Cowboys if they find a way to hold on...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #590
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Damn I didn't get to see the second half because of Church but....how money are the Giants? No Jacobs, no Burress, no problem.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #591
BGMaverick9
Guru

They did a great job pressuring Warner and he didn't have any sense of being comfortable in the pocket. The secondary did their best as well working on the receivers. They did a good job of reaching their goal on cutting the YAC and keeping it minimal.

A game I'd actually want to see right now (yuck) Giants vs Jets.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #592
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Look at the yardage for Seattle today....103 yards passing??

Thanksgiving is going to be funny.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #593
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
They did a great job pressuring Warner and he didn't have any sense of being comfortable in the pocket. The secondary did their best as well working on the receivers. They did a good job of reaching their goal on cutting the YAC and keeping it minimal.

A game I'd actually want to see right now (yuck) Giants vs Jets.
Former UT great Aaron Ross did a great job at CB for the Giants, getting called for four penalties.

No, but you're right, they were very good in the secondary.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #594
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

That was an amazing play by the Colts. 4th and goal after 3 straight stops by the SD defense, Manning barely gets the snap off in time, then calmly throws the slant to Dominic Rhodes split out wide.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #595
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Former UT great Aaron Ross did a great job at CB for the Giants, getting called for four penalties.

No, but you're right, they were very good in the secondary.
They read the routes pretty well and held up on damage control. They cut off routes that they like to run and made Urban and Breaston try to beat them for the most part.

Their play with the front 4/7 ALMOST made Kurt Warner look like the Warner of a few years ago when he was just about out of the league. He really didn't have a lot of time, and just got frustrated.

The Chargers are such a mess. They look really good in moments on both sides of the ball and then it just goes splat. I'll be stunned if the Colts don't get a Wild Card slot. I think it'll be them and the Patriots.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

Dallas seriously needs to take care of business on Thursday and start to get ready for the big push. That Pittsburgh game has the potential to be VERY ugly based on how inconsistent our O-line is vs the stout Steelers D.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #596
LonghornDub

Go Colts! Cool stuff.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #597
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Viniatieri is so money.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-23-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #598
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Anyone notice one of the biggest coaching mistakes ever late in that game? Why in the world would the
Chargers take a timeout before they kicked the tieing field goal to leave Manning 1:35 left instead of circa
1:05. Of course the Colts ended up needing every single second. Well played Norv.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #599
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I like how NBC kept showing Norv walking around yelling "F$CK!" clear as day when they didn't get the first and had to settle for the field goal.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #600
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
That was an amazing play by the Colts. 4th and goal after 3 straight stops by the SD defense, Manning barely gets the snap off in time, then calmly throws the slant to Dominic Rhodes split out wide.
Former Abilene Cooper great, that Rhodes.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote