Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #561
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Yeah, jesus, I wouldn't want Lonzo Ball at any pick at this point. His dad is like the Kardashians times 10.

It just mounts pressure that Ball be one of the top 30 players of all time or bust.
I'd love if the Lakers brought in Parsons, Rondo, Ball (and his dad)-- heck, maybe even Odom. Make an all-drama team. They may win 10 games, but the reality show would be must-watch.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #562
m4ver1ck_aac

m4ver1ck_aac is on a distinguished road

Wow so if the Lakers DO lose this pick to the sixers, they lose their 2019 first rounder to the magic as well?? Man that'd be frickin amazing! I always kinda liked kobe for some reason but hate the Fakers. Yeah Lavar Ball is ridiculous... several weeks ago I really wanted Ball to be a maverick, but now I don't think so (even though it's a moot point) partly because he doesn't seem like he'd be happy unless he's a stupid ass laker, also cuz of his annoying dad. Lavar Kardashian lol.
So it looks like worst case scenario we have 10th pick. Best case realistically is 8th or maybe even 7th if SAC somehow does some winning and we do some losing. I kinda think we go 2-2 to finish. If we win tonight that would suck lol. Well our fate will become much more clear in a few days. Can't wait til the draft lottery!

Last edited by m4ver1ck_aac; 04-07-2017 at 05:18 PM.
m4ver1ck_aac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #563
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

This Lakers pick is a damn funny story. First the Lakers ridiculous overpaid for Grandpa Nash with three first rounders and then the Suns gave it away for freaking Brandon Knight

Quote:
They lost Goran Dragic, Isaiah Thomas, and the Los Angeles Lakers' 1st-round pick. They acquired Brandon Knight, two future Miami Heat 1st-round picks, and Marcus Thornton.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #564
m4ver1ck_aac

Man New Orleans is really not giving us any space for the 9 spot... pretty sure Sacramento gets their pick anyways so they should be trying to win! Anybody know who has the tiebreaker between us an N.O.?
I believe when we play Denver they will still be fighting for a playoff spot so that's good and could very well be a loss for us.
I just have this Damn feeling we are gonna end up in the 10 spot ughh
Hope kings beat Lakers tonight... anyone know the tiebreak situation with SAC also? Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #565
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ver1ck_aac View Post
Man New Orleans is really not giving us any space for the 9 spot... pretty sure Sacramento gets their pick anyways so they should be trying to win! Anybody know who has the tiebreaker between us an N.O.?
Well, if we're talking about tiebreakers in the traditional sense (where teams are trying to make the playoffs), then NO, Sacto, and Minny all hold tiebreakers over us... Which means we get the better pick if we tie any of them. So with 3 games left, we've basically locked up #9 or better -- we just need to lose 1 more and the Pelicans are stuck at #10.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #566
m4ver1ck_aac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Well, if we're talking about tiebreakers in the traditional sense (where teams are trying to make the playoffs), then NO, Sacto, and Minny all hold tiebreakers over us... Which means we get the better pick if we tie any of them. So with 3 games left, we've basically locked up #9 or better -- we just need to lose 1 more and the Pelicans are stuck at #10.
Oh wow that's fantastic news! Wonderful help that we "win" the tiebreak over all 3 of them. And awesome to know about the 9spot. Suuuuurely we don't go 3-0 *knocks on wood* thanks for the info UD.

I wonder if Cuban is telling Rick to limit our best players, AKA putting ourselves in the best position to lose while still competing
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #567
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nice. Really excited about the 9 spot.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #568
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Nice. Really excited about the 9 spot.
Yeah, I like our chances of being able to snag Ntilikina there, who would be an excellent compliment to Yogi.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #569
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I like our chances of being able to snag Ntilikina there, who would be an excellent compliment to Yogi.
And you can be really patient with Frank since he is only 18 years old. Yogi probably starts for at least the first half of next season while integrating him. Be cool if the Mavs brought Roddy in as a training camp consultant for Frank.

Still, I think we'll see a curve ball or two in the draft. I just don't want everyone to jump off a cliff if the quality guards are taken before 9.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #570
Underdog

Quote:
Still, I think we'll see a curve ball or two in the draft. I just don't want everyone to jump off a cliff if the quality guards are taken before 9.
I'm not at all worried about it if we get #9 or better, seeing as how everybody projected to be there when we pick looks like they belong in the NBA... But our odds of getting a PG are still pretty high, with 5 of the 9 guys leading the mocks playing the position... How many of the teams ahead of us pick a point when talents like Jackson, Tatum, Isaac, and Monk are on the board? Hell, I'd be happy with any of those guys, even if we had to make a trade to accommodate them in the lineup (although Isaac would be the hardest fit, given his similarities to Barnes).

And like you mentioned -- there will be surprises... I could see a trainwreck franchise like the Kings reaching to get some middling talent, which only increases our odds of getting the guy we want... There's actually a good possibility that someone more talented than Frank falls to us (which is exactly the kind of problem you want on draft day).

Old 04-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #571
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of
Default Draft and Free Agency

There's going to some good free agents who could probably jump on board with the Mavs plan for next season. If we miss out on Monk, Fox, Fultz, and Nitkilikina. I would say draft Lauri Markannen if he's on the Mavs board. One free agent I think can mesh right away with Barnes and maybe Seth next season is Shaun Livingston. I think he could be a solid pickup starting at point next season for the Mavs. After drafting a big like Markkanen.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #572
Underdog

No.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #573
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

No.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #574
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

No.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #575
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Nay.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #576
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!

Wait, no. Definitely no.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #577
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #578
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

All jokes aside, I actually think Livingston would fit in well here, but only if we're unable to draft a PG and lose two of Barea, Harris, or Yogi.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #579
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not at all worried about it if we get #9 or better, seeing as how everybody projected to be there when we pick looks like they belong in the NBA... But our odds of getting a PG are still pretty high, with 5 of the 9 guys leading the mocks playing the position... How many of the teams ahead of us pick a point when talents like Jackson, Tatum, Isaac, and Monk are on the board? Hell, I'd be happy with any of those guys, even if we had to make a trade to accommodate them in the lineup (although Isaac would be the hardest fit, given his similarities to Barnes).

And like you mentioned -- there will be surprises... I could see a trainwreck franchise like the Kings reaching to get some middling talent, which only increases our odds of getting the guy we want... There's actually a good possibility that someone more talented than Frank falls to us (which is exactly the kind of problem you want on draft day).
I wonder if there is a chance any of the teams ahead of us would consider trading down.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #580
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Funny Draft Room has us picking Allen....sometimes wonder about the convoluted logic behind some of these mock drafts.
Draftnet has us taking Smith and Draft Express has us taking Isaac.
Isaac really intrigues me because I think he has superstar potential but not sure what he has between the ears.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #581
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
All jokes aside, I actually think Livingston would fit in well here, but only if we're unable to draft a PG and lose two of Barea, Harris, or Yogi.
5 of the 9 top players in the draft are PGs, Barea is under contract next season, and we have team options on both Yogi and Harris... Also, why would Livingston ditch the best team in the NBA to be part of a rebuild in Dallas? He's an affordable fit, no reason the Warriors wouldn't bring him back -- especially since Iggy is the most likely cap casualty if they need to free up money for Durant.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #582
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Yeah going after Livingston sounds like the best idea to start at point next year. He'll never be able to in golden state. So who knows how the end of the season plays out. But he should be on the Mavs free agent list since Barnes knows him the best. I'm skeptical about the Mavs drafting Dennis Smith or Ntikilina. Plus Carlisle is going to want a veteran.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #583
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Harris has another year left. I think he should be in a trade scenario front office can think of.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #584
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

My wish list in order after watching as much tape as I have been able to find:

1. Markelle Fultz
- Obv won't happen. But he's the the surest thing to a lock in All Star in this draft. I view his game as the PG version of a 2017 Kobe Bryant. Super fluid, overly self centered, but elite.
2. Malik Monk - If he somehow drops to us, he is my favorite "obtainable" player in this draft. Not sure how much I love him next to Curry, but I will go with Budapest's wisdom - BPA. He is explosive, athletic, and has range. I view him as a perennial scoring champ. Doesn't hurt that he is fun to watch.
3. Dennis Smith Jr. - This is where BPA gets tight for me and you have to start considering BPA + Fit as it's just too close to call. I do like the Steve Francis comparisons.
4. Lonzo Ball - Still struggling with how his father fits into the bigger picture. But if SOMEHOW he fell to us, you just have to take him. Basketball wise he is a perfect compliment to our current roster. He has the leadership and BB IQ to run Carlisles offense out of the gate.
5. Josh Jackson - Put him at the 3 for us and you have one heck of a 2,3,4,5 roster for the next 7 years. I don't love his mechanics, but his athleticism/defense is elite. *I do think he would struggle for 1-2 years learning to work with Carlisle. I wonder if Carlisle has the patience to bring him along. There are some really rough pieces to his game.
6. Frank Ntilikina - Looks the part. Uncertainty given the lack of tape. But his mechanics look like they are there (perhaps better looking shot than any other PG in the class) and his range is undeniable. He would be a very nice compliment piece next to Curry.
7. Jayson Tatum - Maybe too much like Barnes? I would be very surprised if he doesn't at the minimum end up similiar to Antawn Jamison stat lines. 18 and 7 with high floor.
8. Jonathan Isaac - BPA here for me. Upside is there. Body concerns pushes him tot his point. Otherwise he might be 6 for me.
9. De'Aron Fox - The way he is trending it seems like he will go top 6. I watched him all season long. Always more impressed with Malik. He had a solid tourney, but thats NCAA basketball. If he goes before we pick I view it as a win for us.
10. Lauri Markkannen - I know we here are all worried that he is just another EURO miss who is being overhyped. He can shoot, has decent athleticism, but needs to grow a ton. I think that with Dirk mentoring him it could be a good transition. Still he would be my last choice of the top 10.

Anyone else have a list made up at this point of who they would most like to see us land?

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 04-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #585
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
5 of the 9 top players in the draft are PGs, Barea is under contract next season, and we have team options on both Yogi and Harris... Also, why would Livingston ditch the best team in the NBA to be part of a rebuild in Dallas? He's an affordable fit, no reason the Warriors wouldn't bring him back -- especially since Iggy is the most likely cap casualty if they need to free up money for Durant.
Who knows if he wants to be a starter next year since he's free. . He's probably going to want a bit more than his contract now. The veteran point guard Mavs can plug in. If we draft Markkanen it would be a real upgrade from experience and draft prospect.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #586
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

How about we draft and develop a young point guard instead of continuing this torturous cycle of signing stop-gap point guards who don't stay with the team for longer than a season.

Livingston is 31 and will be 32 when next season starts. No thanks.
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #587
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragism View Post
How about we draft and develop a young point guard instead of continuing this torturous cycle of signing stop-gap point guards who don't stay with the team for longer than a season.

Livingston is 31 and will be 32 when next season starts. No thanks.
Cause our draft positioning could make sense just picking up a vet free agent PG like him. If Mavs are at 8 or 9 you gotta draft Markkanen.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #588
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Cause our draft positioning could make sense just picking up a vet free agent PG like him. If Mavs are at 8 or 9 you gotta draft Markkanen.
No we don't have to draft Markkanen
Old 04-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #589
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
No we don't have to draft Markkanen
Well the team is going to have to find a prospect replacing Dirk's minutes within the next 2 years. Markkanen and Noel tandem sounds promising.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #590
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah going after Livingston sounds like the best idea to start at point next year. He'll never be able to in golden state. So who knows how the end of the season plays out. But he should be on the Mavs free agent list since Barnes knows him the best. I'm skeptical about the Mavs drafting Dennis Smith or Ntikilina. Plus Carlisle is going to want a veteran.
I can understand skepticism about Frank, but Smith? Really? I know he is a streaky shooter, but he has amazing athleticism for his size. He can cut defenses like Monta but also play defense like Yogi. It's as sure fire a thing for the pg position as you'll get at 9.

The ONLY, and mean ONLY reason he has any chance of falling to 9 is because of that streaky shooting.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #591
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well the team is going to have to find a prospect replacing Dirk's minutes within the next 2 years. Markkanen and Noel tandem sounds promising.
Dirk's minutes most likely will be replaced by Barnes.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #592
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Dirk's minutes most likely will be replaced by Barnes.
Why not just leave Barnes at his real spot the SF? A more spry big combo like Markkanen and Noel could do some damage next year.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #593
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
I can understand skepticism about Frank, but Smith? Really? I know he is a streaky shooter, but he has amazing athleticism for his size. He can cut defenses like Monta but also play defense like Yogi. It's as sure fire a thing for the pg position as you'll get at 9.

The ONLY, and mean ONLY reason he has any chance of falling to 9 is because of that streaky shooting.
I was just really hoping Fox could have stayed projected 7-10. Now he's kind of moving up which stinks. He's the last PG you get I think. Then I think Markkanen is the best one for the Mavs system. I mean how can you not want to see a Noel and Markkanen combo while Dirk rests after starting the game? Plus I have some hope for Seth to play a bigger role next season.

Lauri highligths.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #594
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
My wish list in order after watching as much tape as I have been able to find:

1. Markelle Fultz
- Obv won't happen. But he's the the surest thing to a lock in All Star in this draft. I view his game as the PG version of a 2017 Kobe Bryant. Super fluid, overly self centered, but elite.
2. Malik Monk - If he somehow drops to us, he is my favorite player "obtainable" player in this draft. Not sure how much I love him next to Curry, but I will go with Budapest's wisdom - BPA. He is explosive, athletic, and has range. I view him as a perennial scoring champ. Doesn't hurt that he is fun to watch.
3. Dennis Smith Jr. - This is where BPA gets tight for me and you have to start considering BPA + Fit as it's just too close to call. I do like the Steve Francis comparisons.
4. Lonzo Ball - Still struggling with how his father fits into the bigger picture. But if SOMEHOW he fell to us, you just have to take him. Basketball wise he is a perfect compliment to our current roster. He has the leadership and BB IQ to run Carlisles offense out of the gate.
5. Josh Jackson - Put him at the 3 for us and you have one heck of a 2,3,4,5 roster for the next 7 years. I don't love his mechanics, but his athleticism/defense is elite. *I do think he would struggle for 1-2 years learning to work with Carlisle. I wonder if Carlisle has the patience to bring him along. There are some really rough pieces to his game.
6. Frank Ntilikina - Looks the part. Uncertainty given the lack of tape. But his mechanics look like they are there (perhaps better looking shot than any other PG in the class) and his range is undeniable. He would be a very nice compliment piece next to Curry.
7. Jayson Tatum - Maybe too much like Barnes? I would be very surprised if he doesn't at the minimum end up similiar to Antawn Jamison stat lines. 18 and 7 with high floor.
8. Jonathan Isaac - BPA here for me. Upside is there. Body concerns pushes him tot his point. Otherwise he might be 6 for me.
9. De'Aron Fox - The way he is trending it seems like he will go top 6. I watched him all season long. Always more impressed with Malik. He had a solid tourney, but thats NCAA basketball. If he goes before we pick I view it as a win for us.
10. Lauri Markkannen - I know we here are all worried that he is just another EURO miss who is being overhyped. He can shoot, has decent athleticism, but needs to grow a ton. I think that with Dirk mentoring him it could be a good transition. Still he would be my last choice of the top 10.

Anyone else have a list made up at this point of who they would most like to see us land?
Great list... If we're picking #9 (which is looking most likely at this point), then I don't think there's any way Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, or Fox fall to us. I could be wrong, but none of the legitimate mocks indicate otherwise... And I have no interest in Markkannen, although we should have better options than him at #9 anyway.

So it's really looking like Smith, Monk, Isaac, or Ntilikina.

I like Monk a lot -- the kid is a scorer, and this team can definitely use the extra firepower, but he's more of a SG than a PG, which makes him a bit undersized for the NBA... And if landing Monk means Yogi is our starting PG (because like you said, he'd be a poor fit next to Curry), then we're gonna struggle mightily on defense against bigger guards... So not a great fit with our current roster, but trades can always happen -- he'd definitely be BPA if he fell to us at #9.

Isaac is also an excellent player, but would be an even trickier fit than Monk, seeing as how he plays the same position as Barnes (who, unlike Curry, isn't getting traded to make room for a rookie)... But also like Monk, we're talking BPA if he's somehow there at #9 -- you can't pass on him.

Although I'm not sure if either Monk or Isaac will be on the board when we pick... They both seem like long shots.

Which brings us to our most realistic options, not to mention the best fit -- Smith and Ntilikina... Honestly, given our needs and his talent, Smith is my top choice of guys that could realistically fall to us. He's a floor general who can both see the floor and play above the rim, plus he's a solid perimeter defender. I think, defensively, if you had him and Wes funneling players toward Noel, it would look a lot like when Kidd and Marion were funneling players in toward Chandler... And basically, I see Frank as a Smith-lite -- similar game, but not as athletic around the hoop.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #595
Fragism

Quote:
Why not just leave Barnes at his real spot the SF? A more spry big combo like Markkanen and Noel could do some damage next year.
It's become pretty evident over the course of this season that Barnes real spot is probably PF
Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #596
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Here is a fun hypothetical question...

Let's say the Mavs magically get the 3rd pick and Fultz/Ball go 1 and 2.

Who do you pick at 3? Smith? Jackson? Monk? Taytum? That would actually be a tough choice.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #597
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

To clarify, my no was mainly towards Livingston. You may as well start Yogi at point. Livingston is a backup, nothing more and nothing less in this league.

I can understand drafting Markkanen when point guard prospects are gone. Even then he would be a prospect that needs to develop a lot. Biggest problem is that Barnes is played as 4 and Markkanen does not give you enough on defense to be played at center. I still believe that some team will pick him before he gets to number 9.

I am also skeptical about trading down on draft, unless you are getting some real value for it. Hard to imagine getting any decent value, so taking a chance at Markkanen may pay off better, but Mavs must move Powell in that case. I also remain skeptical about Noel averaging 30 minutes a game, but he will have his chance to prove me wrong. If I would trust his knees, then my vote would be 100% NO to drafting Markkanen.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #598
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Here is a fun hypothetical question...

Let's say the Mavs magically get the 3rd pick and Fultz/Ball go 1 and 2.

Who do you pick at 3? Smith? Jackson? Monk? Taytum? That would actually be a tough choice.
Back to my list. It would be Monk followed by Smith Jr. Would be ecstatic with either of them. And there is a chance both of them fall to 6-8. That's the crazy thing about this draft. You got 9 guys that are legitimate All NBA level talent. You can split hairs about any of them (Like I feel about D. Fox), but at the end of the day this is the most interesting draft since 03.

The tough thing like others mentioned is there is a strong cut off after the top 9. Does that mean there is no Kawhi Leonard in this draft? No actually quite the opposite. It's deep through the early 20s. But there is a noticeable gap in "risk" from 9 to 10+.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 04-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #599
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
It's become pretty evident over the course of this season that Barnes real spot is probably PF
He's both SF/PF. I just think he strives more at SF. Mainly cause he's quick enough to maintain forwards. But why not really upgrade this team being set at the bigs drafting Markkanen? Dirk would have so much help it would be an arsenal of mix and match.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #600
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
To clarify, my no was mainly towards Livingston. You may as well start Yogi at point. Livingston is a backup, nothing more and nothing less in this league.

I can understand drafting Markkanen when point guard prospects are gone. Even then he would be a prospect that needs to develop a lot. Biggest problem is that Barnes is played as 4 and Markkanen does not give you enough on defense to be played at center. I still believe that some team will pick him before he gets to number 9.

I am also skeptical about trading down on draft, unless you are getting some real value for it. Hard to imagine getting any decent value, so taking a chance at Markkanen may pay off better, but Mavs must move Powell in that case. I also remain skeptical about Noel averaging 30 minutes a game, but he will have his chance to prove me wrong. If I would trust his knees, then my vote would be 100% NO to drafting Markkanen.
I think the outlook could look much better for our bigs next year. Especially for Noel. If Markkanen is drafted he could be our main backup PF. Which can help rotate around with Powell, Mejri, and Noel. Or whoever free agent big they pick up. Lots of prospect in Lauri to score, which the bench needs help at big time. Dirk's years at holding that PF spot are getting lesser for real now. I think Markkanen has the best potential at being his protege.