Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #601
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm also not one that thinks we owe it to Dirk to trade him. Most superstars have to endure a rebuilding year or two in their career.
Well, if Cuban wasn't going to field a competitive team... the Mavs should not have made the playoffs last year. That way they could have gotten a higher pick in this year's draft and maybe got Dirk paired with another young player. Then do that again this year and by then the Mavs may have had a team similarish to the Thunder.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #602
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
How do you propose they do that? They don't seem to have anything that can be considered a significant asset in a trade, they can't offer as much money as the free agent's incumbent team, and they don't have a roster brimming with talent outside Dirk. The irony of the whole stripping of the roster for cap flexibility is that it's left them a whole lot less attractive to the prize free agents that the available cap space was supposed to help us snag.

I'm not sure what the magic bullet is to overcome this, or even if it exists, but it's hard to see there current strategy being a winner. To me this all goes back to their decisions in the Summer of 2011, but it's too late to rewrite history at this point. I'm fearful that the Dirk era ends with a whimper, but I suppose it was a great run while it lasted.
That's the million dollar question, obviously. I don't know. But they clearly decided that they weren't winning another title without another star, so here we are. If all else fails, we'll bottom out and try to hit big in the lottery, like everyone else.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #603
NoTnERb

NoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to allNoTnERb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
It's pretty clear to me that Dragic is a polarizing guy. You either love him or you think signing him reeks of Detroit 09.

You either ride through the storm and deal with whatever damage comes your way in hopes of what could be on the other side or you shift your course and start with your star and a piece that could work.
BG, do you have anything on the Mavs FO? They've been standing pat and haven't even said a word. They've been offering ridiculous 1 year contracts and they're going after Lin which right now is going to be pretty stupid since NY will match whatever offer Lin gets. Then they still have this "hope" that the big FAs next year comes over here.
NoTnERb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #604
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

BG, I'm probably not going to be able to listen to your show tomorrow night but it's on my Itunes feed... so definitely upcoming. Love to hear what you, Rhylan, and Folloill think about which direction.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #605
Bayliss

"A league source said Jeremy Lin will be offered a contract today — maybe in the [four-year] $30 million range — in a back-loaded nature similar to the one the Rockets offered Bulls big man Omir Asik." (via CBSSports.com)

The source said the Rockets will offer Lin $5 million, $5.2 million and then plan to jack up the third and fourth years to as much as $10 million.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #606
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So we're going to be the 2007 Miami Heat, but one year removed from our championship and with an aging superstar?

Yeah, I'm not interested in that... What else do you have?
The 2010 Miami Heat would perhaps be a bit more hopeful, wouldn't it?

Seriously, though, unless the Lakers decide they want to trade us Pau for Mahinmi or something, I just don't see how you can do anything but tank for the year. Aim for the lottery, hope some opportunities come up to do something constructive with Marion's and Haywood's contracts, develop the youth you have as best you can. I certainly don't see Dirk's age as a good argument for delaying the inevitable.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #607
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Man i hope Cuban is filming some good episodes of Shark Tank.

Last edited by He15man; 07-04-2012 at 10:48 PM.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #608
Bayliss

@SpearsNBAYahoo
7-3 center Hasheem Thabeet agrees to two-year deal with @okcthunder, source tells Y! Second overall pick in 2009 draft joining his 4th team.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #609
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
"A league source said Jeremy Lin will be offered a contract today — maybe in the [four-year] $30 million range — in a back-loaded nature similar to the one the Rockets offered Bulls big man Omir Asik." (via CBSSports.com)

The source said the Rockets will offer Lin $5 million, $5.2 million and then plan to jack up the third and fourth years to as much as $10 million.
I don't care how it plays out, that's essentially a $7.5M per year offer versus Dragic's $10M per year request... Does Dragic get $10M? Who do you have more faith in for the price - Dragic or Lin?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-04-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #610
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

7/4/2012 8:47 PST

The time the word tanking came to the dallas-mavericks.com in reference to a Dirk team.

Augh. My stomach. It was punched.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #611
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@SpearsNBAYahoo
7-3 center Hasheem Thabeet agrees to two-year deal with @okcthunder, source tells Y! Second overall pick in 2009 draft joining his 4th team.
That's certainly not going to hurt them...

Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #612
Bayliss

Quote:
Seriously, though, unless the Lakers decide they want to trade us Pau for Mahinmi or something, I just don't see how you can do anything but tank for the year. Aim for the lottery, hope some opportunities come up to do something constructive with Marion's and Haywood's contracts, develop the youth you have as best you can. I certainly don't see Dirk's age as a good argument for delaying the inevitable.
Wouldn't it have been smarter to tank last year considering it was a deeper draft?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #613
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Unless he wants to stay for pennies and a backup role, I'm out on Kidd.

If he is our starting PG this season, I will miss the beginning of a lot of games.
Unfortunately I don't see many other decent options. Delonte?, roddy?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #614
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I take Dragic at 8-9 over Lin at that price. 10 for Dragic gives me serious pause tho.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #615
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post

How the mighty has fall.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #616
Bayliss

Oh I know about Thabeet. I'm surprised the Mavs didn;'t get him. He was on their radar. Guess he didn't want the one year deal. And no he aint a loss. He'll be fighting Aldrich for most worthless player on the Thunder award.

The sad part is on the Thunder it is relegated to the bottom 2-3 guys. On the Mavs? After Dirk/Marion all have a good case.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #617
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The only question becomes is do you reload faster with or without Dirk?

You will definitely get better lotto picks and also free up more cap room quickly but you really start from ground zero. You essentially become the Bobcats with organizational pluses.

Looking at it that way, if Dirk can stomach it and we want to do it to Dirk, we try it with Dirk first and eventually, in a couple years, we try it without Dirk.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #618
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

When Dirk signed an extension a few years ago the FO hoped for and received a gesture that indicated his loyalty to this franchise. Dirk took a bit less money, talked to no other teams and everyone applauded his approach. The FO patted him on the back and promised they would support his decision by remaining competitive. Last year I was willing to go along with their desire to reserve cap space because there seemed to be a legitimate shot at securing their PG of the future... DWill. But their lack of activity this year is unexcusable. Offering a one year deal to Nash is an embarrassment to Steve and to the NBA community. It makes our FO look like arrogant little children who "know" they are right and everyone else who is still spending on contracts dead wrong. My respect for Cuban and Donnie is at an all time low. They can not expect loyalty from their players when they are unwilling to take some chances. Period. End of story. Right now they are not even trying and their lack of action puts a whole new light on Tyson and JET. This cold attitude toward players that helped them win their ring will come back to haunt the franchise, it may already be here. Maybe they can pull a rabbit out of the hat and then I will eat crow, but right now Cuban and Donnie are doing a piss poor job. They can best be described as super arrogant or scared little sissies running away from the big bad CBA. Show some creativity FO or sell the team and let someone else give it a go. If you're not willing to play with the big boys then get back to your TV show and spare us your "know-it-all" attitude. I simply don't buy the idea that there is nothing they can do to maximize the final years of Dirk's career. Cuban is supposed to be the innovative businessman who is at the cutting edge. Well right now his actions don't reflect that super businessman persona. He is acting like someone who really doesn't care or is scared he will lose his shirt. I say it again, get out of the kitchen if its too hot for you.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #619
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:

I don't see Pau or Mahinmi, but the conspiracy theorist in me sees Orlando giving in and trading Howard for Bynum.

Then the badass teams will be Miami, LA, OKC, Chicago. Followed by the second tier of San Antonio, Brooklyn, Boston, LA Clippers, Indiana, Atlanta. Followed by the third tier of Memphis, Orlando, Utah, Denver, Philly AND . . . . . . DALLAS!!! That's right. We are about to become a .500 basketball team.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #620
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTnERb View Post
BG, do you have anything on the Mavs FO? They've been standing pat and haven't even said a word. They've been offering ridiculous 1 year contracts and they're going after Lin which right now is going to be pretty stupid since NY will match whatever offer Lin gets. Then they still have this "hope" that the big FAs next year comes over here.
There's some things I know and some I don't. It's pretty obvious though that there are two potential paths for how things can turn out in terms for what they do this current free agency period.

Quote:
BG, I'm probably not going to be able to listen to your show tomorrow night but it's on my Itunes feed... so definitely upcoming. Love to hear what you, Rhylan, and Folloill think about which direction.
Thanks. It should be fun.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #621
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
When Dirk signed an extension a few years ago the FO hoped for and received a gesture that indicated his loyalty to this franchise. Dirk took a bit less money, talked to no other teams and everyone applauded his approach. The FO patted him on the back and promised they would support his decision by remaining competitive.
And, shortly after, they brought Dallas it's first championship. I don't think letting Chandler go (when he would have been the 2nd highest paid Mav next to Dirk for the rest of his career) for a 50/50 shot at getting Deron Williams is a sign that Cuban "doesn't care" or is "scared".

Let's not pretend like Dirk has been cheated or that the MBT has taken advantage of him.

edit: And if you want to get on Cuban for being complacent because he finally won a title (although I would argue that is entirely not true), you could point that same absurd notion at Dirk for his stats last season. Bottom line, Cuban AND Dirk are insanely competitive guys that will not throw the towel in as easily as 90% of the fans.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-04-2012 at 11:03 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #622
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Mark Cuban is an outspoken owner. The course of the franchise has been severely altered and he hasn't spoken an F-ing word yet.

Plus, I'm sick of hearing about the CBA. The GM's of the other teams in the NBA seem to have figured out how to do transactions. Why can't we?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #623
Underdog

Quote:

If Dirk was 5 years younger, sure - but if you're tanking to rebuild, then you might as well just trade Dirk since you'd be doing nothing more than killing the tail end of his prime (pretty sure I'm echoing someone else's post in this thread...)

And why would he stick around when his contract is up? He doesn't owe it to the Mavs to slog through a long rebuilding process when he could be chasing rings on a 3-year contract in another uniform a few years from now...

I have no interest in seeing Dirk come off the bench for the Nets during the 2016 Finals... Get Dragic.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-04-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #624
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
Mark Cuban is an outspoken owner. The course of the franchise has been severely altered and he hasn't spoken an F-ing word yet.

Plus, I'm sick of hearing about the CBA. The GM's of the other teams in the NBA seem to have figured out how to do transactions. Why can't we?
Although it was a generic answer, he did reply to an email from Caplan.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #625
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #626
howdoesmydirktaste

I don't see the harm in getting Dragic. If he turns out to be above average, he becomes a trade asset if something better comes along. If you plan on my ass paying to watch a game next season, you better put out something better than what you have right now Cuban.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #627
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't see the harm in getting Dragic. If he turns out to be above average, he becomes a trade asset if something better comes along. If you plan on my ass paying to watch a game next season, you better put out something better than what you have right now Cuban.
Oh boy... in that case, pay the man his money!

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-04-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #628
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Although it was a generic answer, he did reply to an email from Caplan.
I guess I missed it.

So, what are these two courses you speak of in your previous response?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #629
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
The only question becomes is do you reload faster with or without Dirk?

You will definitely get better lotto picks and also free up more cap room quickly but you really start from ground zero. You essentially become the Bobcats with organizational pluses.

Looking at it that way, if Dirk can stomach it and we want to do it to Dirk, we try it with Dirk first and eventually, in a couple years, we try it without Dirk.
You can get draft picks for a decade and not get another dirk. I just don't see how you give up on him. Now dirk deciding to leave is another matter entirely.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #630
Bayliss

Here's a better gif of Cuban. It sums up the last two offseasons:

Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #631
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

one of the best free agent groups in years?
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #632
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If Dirk was 5 years younger, sure - but if you're tanking to rebuild, then you might as well just trade Dirk since you'd be doing nothing more than killing the tail end of his prime (pretty sure I'm echoing someone else's post in this thread...)

And why would he stick around when his contract is up? He doesn't owe it to the Mavs to slog through a long rebuilding process when he could be chasing rings on a 3-year contract in another uniform a few years from now...

I have no interest in seeing Dirk come off the bench for the Nets during the 2016 Finals... Get Dragic.
UD, you're killing me. Goran Dragic is going to be the difference between Dirk staying or leaving at the end of his current contract?

And you (and others) realize that Dirk has a no-trade clause, right?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #633
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
UD, you're killing me. Goran Dragic is going to be the difference between Dirk staying or leaving at the end of his current contract?

I think UD and others are under the assumption that things are so bad in Dallas that Dirk would agree to (push for?) a trade.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #634
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I guess I missed it.

So, what are these two courses you speak of in your previous response?
Punt or shift and take a chance on a PG
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #635
Bayliss

Quote:
one of the best free agent groups in years?
And most of the big names are going to be re-signed a la Blake Griffin has done in LA.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #636
He15man

Quote:
Here's a better gif of Cuban. It sums up the last two offseasons:

Exactly
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #637
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Oh boy... in that case, pay the man his money!
There are more tactful ways to say that you don't think he's worth the money.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #638
Bayliss

Quote:
nd you (and others) realize that Dirk has a no-trade clause, right?
I imagine he can waive it if he wants to......
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #639
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
There are more tactful ways to say that you don't think he's worth the money.
I'm not even sure he's not worth the money... I just love making fun of fan entitlement, is all.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #640
Underdog

Quote:

No, Dragic should be the first of several pieces to give Dirk a CHANCE to win a ring in a Dallas uniform... But if you can't get a decent PG before his contract is up, then why bother?

And my assumption is that we'd be trading Dirk at his own request, so the no-trade clause doesn't really come into effect... Otherwise, Dirk can opt to stick through the rebuilding process, whatever.

Tags
avery wins, dwill loves the pecker, jigga town, return of cadbane?, russian mutant cuban 1, shark tank cuban 0, willy wants a pecker