Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #641
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I think I have seen about a grand total of 4 non-kids movies over the last 5 years (other than the lord of the rings movies ).
<<<although I DID manage to help create 3 babies over that time period-- which if you did a statistic analysis would effectively acount for 93% of the variation in the sample, with a 99.999 confidence interval >>>

but enough is enough.

I just joined blockbuster-online today, and didn't put too much stress or thought into my selections, but the first seven selections I whipped out after perusing the site for a couple of minutes were:

Movies in Queue (7)
1-Requiem for a Dream
2-Cabaret (70's version)
3-Spirited Away
4-Man for All Seasons (60s)
5-Amelie
6-Dead Man
7-Mean Girls [WS]

let me know if anyone thinks any of these make you hurl,
or were... well, you know... good.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #642
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Spirited Away and Dead Man are awesome choices.

Jarmusch is a magnificent filmmaker.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #643
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
I think I have seen about a grand total of 4 non-kids movies over the last 5 years...
you're such a pervert.

but anyhoo....I thought Requiem for a Dream was a really good flick.......
Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #644
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i was going to say that Requiem for a Dream was a great movie, but will also make you hurl. It's pretty disturbing.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #645
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

almost forgot.....

Last King of Scotland was a 2006 movie, and I might put it ahead of The Departed.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #646
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i was going to say that Requiem for a Dream was a great movie, but will also make you hurl. It's pretty disturbing.
True...extremely powerful movie-making.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #647
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
almost forgot.....

Last King of Scotland was a 2006 movie, and I might put it ahead of The Departed.
Just watched Last King of Scotland last night. And wow. Great movie. I really liked the Departed, and I'd put this ahead, too. Forrest Whitaker was just amazing. I don't know if there is an actor I like more. Good grief what a movie!

on another note - the Fountain sucked.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #648
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

just saw requiem for a dream.

I both loved and hated it. I loved the way a bunch of th eindividual scenes were filmed, beautiful (in its sheer ugliness). It also managed to make me very uncomfortable (this is somewhat a good thing). But I also lost patience with it for time to time, and couldn't help getting up and puttering around... It was mezmerizing in stretches, but too much overload overall.

Still, I'd reccommend it. (Just don't grab it to watch with your perspecive inlaws right before a big spagetti dinner)
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #649
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

children of men - only person in the house who liked it
bridge to terabithia - ok, depressing
Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #650
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
12 Angry Men
Brick
a lot of Arrested Development

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #651
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched The Departed again.... truly great film. DiCaprio, Damon and Marky Mark were at their best.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #652
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Children of Men was a great concept that was executed horribly.....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #653
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I know who killed me- not very good at all. There were a few scenes were Lohan teased the male audience, including a sex scene, but no cigar.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend- Two good things about the movie is Luke Wilson's comedy and Uma Thurman's looks.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #654
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

The Lookout- good movie. Joseph Gordon-Levitt had a really good performance.

War- Good concept, terrible acting. Jason Statham was pretty much the only person to show up.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #655
alexamenos
Diamond Member

16 Blocks -- solid movie.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #656
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

War was AWFUL. I swear, even the surprise ending didn't redeem the previous hour of mediocrity in this abortion of filmmaking.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #657
alexamenos
Diamond Member

The Number 23 -- not the worst movie ever made. Think "External Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", only darker, twisted and not nearly as good.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #658
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The Devil Wears Prada.

What the........ no, really, it was pretty good... in a generic sort of way.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #659
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Recently saw "Idiocracy" with Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph. It was pretty damn ridiculous, but it got a few laughs out of me.

Also saw "The Departed" - what a movie! My film-geek friend kept telling me how good it was, and I agree. Thoroughly enjoyable.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #660
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Persona
Scenes From A Marriage
Wild Strawberries
L'Atalante
Unforgiven
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Old 09-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #661
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Hell yeah! New season starts September 13th!
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #662
Nash13
Diamond Member

Smokin Aces.

Better than it was made out to be. I don't see why people don't like Jeremy Pivens.

~The Salesman
Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #663
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Blood Diamond
Lots of graphic violence, but pretty solid acting and good story.

Glory Road
Great story. Some funny moments. Not bad at all.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #664
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Shakespeare in Love...vastly overrated

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #665
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

finally watched the British version of the Office. hilarious. quite a different beast than the american version, about 200 times more vulgar - you can get away with much more on the BBC.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #666
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I like it as well, BBL, but not nearly as much as the American Office...

and I'm a guy who loves British comedy...

Ricky Gervas (sp) is freakin hilarious in everything

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #667
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Wife and I watched the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie tonight.....

And....yeah. That's 86 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

It was partly amusing every once in a while. The show is much more tolerable in 13 minute doses on Adult Swim...and it's late....and maybe you've had a few.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #668
sike
The Preacha

i can't watch that show...

Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #669
Nash13
Diamond Member

3:10 to Yuma.

Oh boy, this movie is what happens when you have the perfect cast. Christian Bale was fantastic. And i don't like Russell Crowe as a person, but he really did his thing in the movie. I don't know how many of you know Ben Foster, but for me, he pretty much stole the show. Even Luke Wilson was good in it.

~The Salesman
Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #670
sike
The Preacha

Ben Foster is pretty one dimensional thus far in his acting career...but dang that is a good one dimension! He's got intensity in spades!

can't wait to see this flick!

any one seen it yet?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #671
Nash13
Diamond Member

Uh......................me?

Anyways.....Shoot Em' Up.

This movie is highly entertaining, and was pretty much as good as it could've been. Not very realistic (and doesn't really try to be). Not for everybody, but if you like mindless action, it's just the right thing.

~The Salesman
Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #672
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

nothing...
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #673
sike
The Preacha

king arthur

Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #674
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Girls Gone Wild
I am so bored....
Old 09-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #675
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Blazing Saddles
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #676
sike
The Preacha

kingdom of heaven

Old 09-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #677
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Platoon
Marty
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven

Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #678
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
two of the greatest westerns of all time

Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #679
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Platoon
Marty
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
Now that is a good list, Salt.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:50 AM   #680
bernardos70
Diamond Member

EDIT: Ocean's 13

Last edited by bernardos70; 09-15-2007 at 01:40 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?