Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #721
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

...And I too know that we haven't won shit yet...

I am heading home to get my drinking started and to prepare for a helluva game. We can and will destroy NY tonight. Say it with me. We can and will destroy NY tonight. We can and will destroy NY tonight. We can...... We will......

GO RANGERS!!!

IT'S TIME!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #722
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're severely understating what a difference it is pitching on short rest. There's a reason almost no one does it.

And I personally think if the Rangers were ever going to pitch Lee on three days rest it would have happened in game 4 of the ALDS. I also think it would have happened in Game 2 of the ALCS.

There have been opportunities to pitch him on short rest that would have benefited us.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #723
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think you're severely understating what a difference it is pitching on short rest. There's a reason almost no one does it.

And I personally think if the Rangers were ever going to pitch Lee on three days rest it would have happened in game 4 of the ALDS. I also think it would have happened in Game 2 of the ALCS.

There have been opportunities to pitch him on short rest that would have benefited us.
Why in the hell would you pitch Lee on short rest in a game you don't have to win when he could just pitch game 5 like he did on normal rest? Sure, if you could pitch him in game 4 due to a rain out, absolutely you do, but those are two very, very, very different things. You do it in the World Series to get an extra start out of him if the series goes 7. That is a MONUMENTAL difference. Regarding almost no one doing it - is Cliff special or not? Is he a true ace that gets a blank check after the playoffs or not? Ride that stallion. Ride him.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #724
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

What does being an ace have to do with it? It has to do with how much of a performance drop off you suffer from it.

And I agree that an additional start is more advantageous that staving off momentum, but the problem with your scenario is that it would require him to pitch on short rest *twice in a row*. That's a significant thing. And I'm not talking about fear of injury, I'm talking about the possibility that he absolutely sucks, which is very, very possible.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #725
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
So you honestly don't think that NY gets any advantage from being in numerous game 7s (and numerous World Series) before with us never being in a single game 7?
I hate to nitpick on one point made over the course of two pages, but the modern New York Yankees have played in only two game 7s, in 2003 and 2004. In 2003, a poor decision by Grady Little cost the Red Sox the win, and they got smacked in 2004 in their Red Sox collapse. It's not like they're *used* to game sevens. They've usually won (or lost) in 6. I'll take that trend. Not that it really means anything one way or the other.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #726
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Our Rangers, who art in Texas, winners be thy name. The Yanks will come, they will be done, in New York as they will be in Texas. Give us this week a series win, and forgive us our bullpen loss as we cause losses upon their bullpen. Lead us not into the offseason, but deliver us a pennant. For the Rangers ...are the swingdom, the claw, and the antlers forever and ever. Amen.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 10-22-2010 at 06:05 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #727
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Old 10-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #728
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Our Rangers, who art in Texas, winners be thy name. The Yanks will come, they will be done, in New York as they will be in Texas. Give us this week a series win, and forgive us our bullpen loss as we cause losses upon their bullpen. Lead us not into the offseason, but deliver us a pennant. For the Rangers ...are the swingdom, the claw, and the antlers forever and ever. Amen.
NICE!!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #729
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
I hate to nitpick on one point made over the course of two pages, but the modern New York Yankees have played in only two game 7s, in 2003 and 2004. In 2003, a poor decision by Grady Little cost the Red Sox the win, and they got smacked in 2004 in their Red Sox collapse. It's not like they're *used* to game sevens. They've usually won (or lost) in 6. I'll take that trend. Not that it really means anything one way or the other.
Fine - closeout games then. Call it what you want. The fact of the matter is that when they have a chance to step on your throat and put you away, they tend to be pretty good at it (barring the Boston collapse of several years ago). No matter - I am done with this topic.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #730
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Must spread...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #731
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
What does being an ace have to do with it? It has to do with how much of a performance drop off you suffer from it.

And I agree that an additional start is more advantageous that staving off momentum, but the problem with your scenario is that it would require him to pitch on short rest *twice in a row*. That's a significant thing. And I'm not talking about fear of injury, I'm talking about the possibility that he absolutely sucks, which is very, very possible.
Again, 70-80% of Josh against a #2 or #3 guy the 2nd and 3rd games is better than what they have.

I don't think playoff-Lee could suck, minus injury.

Let's squash this and enjoy some damn playoff Game 6 series-clinching baseball!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #732
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

wow.. horrible call.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #733
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

5-1... middle of the 5th

i guess everyone else is at the game or not bothering to follow online.

my stream paused right as Cruz was hitting his bomb - it's nice to get back to your regularly scheduled programming seeing him crossing home plate .
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #734
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I don't know what to do with myself at this point. Trying to stay grounded.

This is nuts.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #735
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

hope josh is aight... last thing we'd need
Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #736
Scoobay
Golden Member

6 outs left...

colby's at 86 pitches. Send him out for 1 more inning and have holland on standby? then feliz for the 9th or let him close it out if he's looking strong?

Last edited by Scoobay; 10-22-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #737
Scoobay
Golden Member

wow they just want nothing to do with Josh...

vlad gotta be big and bad again

Last edited by Scoobay; 10-22-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #738
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Almost there, boys and girls...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #739
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Vlad with the unintentional sacrifice!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #740
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Can't wait to see Murph light Woods up.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #741
Scoobay
Golden Member

they want nothing to do with Nellie either... don't blame them.

Ian let's do this!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #742
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Brain fart: Ian to light him up.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #743
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Now it's Murphy's turn.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #744
Scoobay
Golden Member

good job by Ian getting one home...

let's go murph! more insurance!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #745
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Bring it home, Colby!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #746
Scoobay
Golden Member

was that the slider that he threw to thames to K him?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #747
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Yes.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #748
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

3 more outs to go!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #749
Scoobay
Golden Member

magic number 3 baby! does colby come back out for the 9th? does wash put in oliver just for cano and then go to feliz?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #750
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Colby should finish the game.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #751
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Had tickets to tomorrow night's game. I'll be very happy to not use them, if it's unecessary. But I do wish I was there tonight. That place is going insane.

I'm a complete ball of energy right now. I can't sit still.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-22-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #752
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Had tickets to tomorrow night's game. I'll be very happy to not use them, if it's unecessary. But I do wish I was there tonight. That place is going insane.

I'm a complete ball of energy right now. I can't sit still.
It's an unbelievable ride, isn't it?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #753
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Here comes Feliz to shut the door.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #754
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #755
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #756
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Almost there baby!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #757
Scoobay
Golden Member

2 more nefti!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #758
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #759
Scoobay
Golden Member

how appropriate this could be... Feliz pwns Arod to end it. please.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #760
Mav Addict
Golden Member

WORLD SERIES HERE WE COME .....LETS GO RANGERS!!!