Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #721
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlue
Daniels pass over Dirk's head would have been luck if it had gone in. That wasn't why we lost. It was the lack of defense by everyone on the shot before that.

Hail Mary shots are 100% luck.
Marquis had two brain farts tonight again. He let a pass slip out of his hands on the side and then the pass to dirk. It looked like devin was wide stinkin open at the 3pt line on that one.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #722
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

AJ will make the adjustments and the Mavs will destroy the Suns next game.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:42 AM   #723
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
Yep, that's all that needs to be said.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #724
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive
Boris Diaw looked really good this summer in that Euro tourney, but wow has that guy really become something special. I don't think they have a chance to beat the Mavs this year (especially if Bell is hurt), but if Amare comes back strong next year Phoenix is going to be crazy good.
Off topic, but don't hold your breath on Amare's revamped knee for next year --- micro-fracture surgery has slowed many a promising career in the NBA. Penny Hardaway comes directly to mind as he wasn't terribly old when he had his first such surgery (I think). CWebb now has a legitimate excuse for being a terrible defender and has no consistent lift (I have to say a small curse against the AAC every time I set foot in the place due to that injury), and it's been three full seasons since he had his surgery.

I hope Amare proves me wrong, mainly because he was just such a fascinating talent to watch --- a combination of speed, power and quickness not seen often in the NBA.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #725
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Calm down. We lost to spurs the first game and that too on road. This is no different. AJ has probably seen lots of things to make adjustments. We all would love if Mavs swept the suns but this is WCF and it wont be easy. Mavs will still win this series in 5 or 6.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #726
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mavericks are fine.

One nice thing....it appears that we may not have to put up with Suns trolls. That is nice anyways.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:28 AM   #727
bigdaddy

bigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
wasn't that suppose to happen in game 1?

sounds like wishful thinking to me.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #728
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Bell injury changes everything. Looks like from espn and other articles Josh will be fine. He just has to play through some pain. Bell's injury looks like more or less he is done. We will win this series and I expected a loss in first game after an emotional win against spurs.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #729
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfanforever
Bell injury changes everything. Looks like from espn and other articles Josh will be fine. He just has to play through some pain. Bell's injury looks like more or less he is done. We will win this series and I expected a loss in first game after an emotional win against spurs.
If Bell can't play anymore and Josh comes back, the Suns don't have a chance. They will be able to hang with Dallas for 2 quarters and the Mavs 5th gear will kick in.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #730
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

I really want Bell to return to their lineup. They should'nt get any excuses.
That aside, it's the same as it has been in the first game with the spurs. They played their game ok - we flatout sucked. Yet the game could've been won. So once we start to play good or even great, they can pretty much do whatever they want and won't stand a chance. Again see the spurs-series.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #731
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsman
That aside, it's the same as it has been in the first game with the spurs. They played their game ok - we flatout sucked. Yet the game could've been won. So once we start to play good or even great, they can pretty much do whatever they want and won't stand a chance. Again see the spurs-series.
I rather have him out. He might injure one of the Mavs anyway. After SA, Mavs need to rest.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #732
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
The Mavericks are fine.
yup.

the mavs....

1. Were flat for most of the first 24 minutes;
2. Choked it up for the last 3 minutes;
3. Couldn't stop the Suns break after made baskets;
4. Lost Howard after only a couple of minutes into the game;
5. Got shite from Keith Van Horrible;
6. Got a very average performance from Nowitzki and a lousy performance from Terry...

and they still should have won the damn game.

I still don't know whether the Mavs were a better basketball team than the Spurs, but they are a better basketball team than the Suns (with or without Bell).

Cheers
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #733
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Screw that, as a Mavs fan you should want Bell to be out. Who cares about excuses, a win is a win! Do you think Detroit feels bad about their win in the eastern conference championship last year when Wade and O'neal both had injuries? NO!!! If Bell is hurt and can't play, that's a GOOD thing! You don't want people to get hurt but if they are and they're key you kick them when they're down.

Also I agree the Mavs are a damn good team but the Suns didn't execute flawlessly lastnight either and while you say the Mavs played OK, I disagree. I think the Mavs played pretty damn good lastnight, they just didn't get it done DEFENSIVELY down the stretch, which is something they did WELL during the Spurs series.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #734
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickfan
Screw that, as a Mavs fan you should want Bell to be out. Who cares about excuses, a win is a win!....You don't want people to get hurt but if they are and they're key you kick them when they're down.
right on, Knickfan....It's gonna take some killer instinct to get the deal done....no mercy, no pity, no nothing.

Bell going down is great-I got a little wood when I saw him go down. I hope he stays down for at least the next two weeks.

.... basketball is a team game -- if the Suns have nothing but spares on the bench, that's a weakness. Great for the Mavs if that weakness rears it's ugly little head in this series.

Drop Nash on his Nappy Head,
Old 05-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #735
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

I haven't argued with Avery's substitutions much, but Avery should have played Damp instead of Dirk during the last 5 seconds. We didn't need any offense, we needed a shot blocker.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #736
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

82 games shows Damp leading the team in the first Sun game:

ROUND THREE Plus/Minus Team Leaders
Team Best +/- Worst +/-
DAL Dampier +10 Harris -17

ROUND TWO Plus/Minus Team Leaders
Team Best +/- Worst +/-
DAL Harris +41 Daniels -11

ROUND ONE Plus/Minus Team Leaders
Team Best +/- Worst +/-
DAL Nowitzki +43 Armstrong -4
Old 05-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #737
alexamenos
Diamond Member

just heard on 103.3....

Dallas' Defense just called in from San Antonio -- it's still partying along the muddy ditch walk.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #738
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbill
82 games shows Damp leading the team in the first Sun game:

ROUND THREE Plus/Minus Team Leaders
Team Best +/- Worst +/-
DAL Dampier +10 Harris -17

ROUND TWO Plus/Minus Team Leaders
Team Best +/- Worst +/-
DAL Harris +41 Daniels -11

ROUND ONE Plus/Minus Team Leaders
Team Best +/- Worst +/-
DAL Nowitzki +43 Armstrong -4

Popcornmachine.net has Damp at +14. They've also got the gameflow broken down to individual players. Other than the first few minutes of the game, the Mavs outscored the Suns every time Damp was in the game. Of course, the mavs only had a center for 16 minutes.

The mavs had success against the suns during the season while playing a center for more than half the game. Why abandon that now?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #739
joebobbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Popcornmachine.net has Damp at +14.
Good link.

Dirk was -14, but Damp was +14. No wonder I felt like we could have benched Dirk and won the game.

The Suns game revolves around Nash doing pick-and-rolls off a high post (with all associated variations). Since Dirk is generally guarding the high-post, Dirk becomes the Mav defense. There is no help since the rest of the Suns are standing on the 3 point line, ready to shoot.

Dirk rarely blocks one of Nash's floaters, and it is rarer still that he stuffs a guy rolling to the basket after setting a pick. Damp can do both.

Further, Dirk cannot hide on the periphery with a small forward. Nash relentlessly sets up a pick involving Dirk's man, and runs the pick over and over, again until Nash gets the desired edge. It isn't that hard. Dirk's defense has improved a great deal this season, but it is nothing to 'showcase'. He would be the first to admit this.

Options:
1. Reduce Dirk's minutes
2. Play a zone
3. Let the Suns score 120 each game, but plan to score 130.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #740
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree...but it really sucks that they just handed the game over on a silver platter. I give credit to the Suns, but they had nothing to do with all those mistakes that were made down the stretch. However, given the incredible emotional, physical and mental toll of Monday night, its really difficult for me to be "too upset" that they dropped the first game.

Now if they drop Game 2, I'll get concerned. And to tell you the truth, if the Mavs can't beat the Pheonex effing Suns in a 7 game series, they certainly don't deserve to represent the West in the Finals.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #741
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

first of all, Diop needs minutes. I don't think Diaw can hit those ANNOYING flip shots with DeSagana on him.

second of all, Dallas is in great position to eventually take this series. my prediction was that they would crush Phoenix on the interior, and they did. they must continue that style of play.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #742
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The most positive think about this game was that dirk was completely willing and able to get on the offensive boards. He couldnt hit crap and he airballed 3 shots withing 5 feet(there had to be a foul, i mean dirk doesnt airball that many shots from that close without getting fouled but oh well) This game for dirk reminded me alot of game 1 against the spurs. He wasnt really himself and he still put up a good in the spurs case and dominant in this case statline. The mavs will win this series in 6. I think the suns will have one game where they get really hot and hit everything but other than that the mavs win out. The one scary thing is that they did win this game and they werent hot at all from the outside. I do hope this is the last game of this series that the mavs take more 3s than they do though.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #743
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

This is like Game 1 of the series in some opposite reality world. Mavs did not play at 100% capacity and really, the Suns just caught got fire at the end (the 10-point advantage run for the Suns is the equivalent of the huge single Bowen 3 over the last few minutes for the Spurs). Also, like Game1, the Mavericks did not dictate the tempo of the game OR the matchups. With Spurs, we played in the 80s-low 90s and played them square and lost by 2. With the Suns, we played in the 110s-low 120s, went small and lost by 3. Mavs need to: 1) play better and 2) play Mavericks ball.

Biggest concern has to be Josh Howard. He's easily our #2, despite our swingman depth, due to his heavy minutes, position-flexibility, defensive-versatility, Dirk-compatability and ability to make an impact without being a ball-handler or having plays drawn up. I imagine he will miss one game or be extremely limited.

Mavs *have* to hold serve in Game 2 while JHo recuperates. If so, this series will not be overwhelmingly difficult. If not, Mavs are in trouble.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 05-25-2006 at 09:50 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #744
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Now if they drop Game 2, I'll get concerned. And to tell you the truth, if the Mavs can't beat the Pheonex effing Suns in a 7 game series, they certainly don't deserve to represent the West in the Finals.
Ain't gonna happen.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #745
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I agree, considering the Suns probably should've been knocked out by the Lakers in round 1.

If we don't even push this to 7 (assuming we drop 3), we might as well could've lost to the Spurs.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote