Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Where is your loyalty?
Dirk 42 30.00%
Mavs 63 45.00%
I'm a pansy, I can't decide, and I like them both. 35 25.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #41
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Are there really that many people on this site that didn't root for the Mavs before Dirk was here?

Wow.
I can't believe it either. I mean I know some Mavs fans personally who are just Dirk fans and only became a Mavs fan when Dirk became good. Its only natural. I'm sure Cavs got some fans to hop on the bandwaggon when Lebron came into the league. But I didn't realize it was this many Mavs fans. And I bet if you did a study on it outside of the internet it would be even more disturbing.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #42
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My obsession with the Mavs began with Kidd's rookie year and hasn't slowed down one bit since.
Same here. I became a Mavs fan in Kidd's rookie year, am a Mavs fan to this very day, and will be one for long after Dirk leaves.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #43
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Honestly, I became a Mavs fan because of Kidd. I was 8 years old when Kidd was drafted to the Mavs and he was the most exciting player I'd ever watched before. He and Penny Hardaway were my two favorite players at the time. Then he was traded and for whatever reason I still followed the Mavs. I just liked the franchise and I figured I've been following since '94, so why stop now? Then the Mavs drafted Dirk, Finley came into his own, Nash became a force and they became a must watch whenever they were on national TV. Now I can't get enough of this squad. I'm truly addicted. I remember vividly watching the playoff series vs. Utah on NBC and being so frantically excited when they won. One of the greatest sports moments of my life at the time.

To answer the question though. It's about the name on the front of the jersey. The names will change but I've always believed the alliance stays with the laundry. I do love Dirk though and I will be deeply saddened when he finally hangs em' up or if he goes to another team. It'd be the end of one of the more exciting periods in my sports viewing life and there would certainly be no promise that we'd ever be great like this again.

And for the record, I've never been to Texas in my life. But I love the Mavs, always will.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 04-05-2010 at 05:36 AM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #44
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I can't believe it either. I mean I know some Mavs fans personally who are just Dirk fans and only became a Mavs fan when Dirk became good. Its only natural. I'm sure Cavs got some fans to hop on the bandwaggon when Lebron came into the league. But I didn't realize it was this many Mavs fans. And I bet if you did a study on it outside of the internet it would be even more disturbing.
I'm not sure it's disturbing though. Lets be honest, the Mavs before Cuban didn't have the best track record. They were the door mats of the league for almost a decade. It's hard to keep a solid fanbase when you're struggling to win 30 games and there's no progression for that period of time. I think a lot of the fan base probably bolted as well when the 3 J's collapsed. For the first time since the late 80's the Mavs finally had 3 pieces they could legitimately build around, and they completely collapsed because of ego, attitude, and bad management. I respect anyone that went through those years, it must've made this past decade even sweeter.

Cuban and Dirk saved basketball in Dallas.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #45
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I fell in love with Mavs basketball in 2002 with Don Nelson's style and been a Mavs fan ever since, I'm a fan of both Dirk and the Mavs and if Dirk where to go to another team I would still root for him unless he went to the Spurs.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #46
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for one of the tags.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #47
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

Ultimately i'm a mavs fan and if this squad doesn't atleast make it to the WCF this year, i'd think Dirk asking to be traded would be doing me a favor if i'm Mark Cuban. Dirk's a great player but he's been here for for a VERY long time with many different types of teams, everyone's said this is the best team he's been on and not every veteran player is fortunate enough to be in that position.

To be honest with you all, whenever we go into a game with another elite team i'm not so sure we'll come out victorious. We've come up so short many times in the Dirk era i'm just used losing with this team. Maybe if we found a way for a guy like Wade or Lebron to get here knowing we can properly build a team around them i'll feel differently.
JCmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #48
basketman61

basketman61 will become famous soon enough

basketman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #49
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCmasta View Post
To be honest with you all, whenever we go into a game with another elite team i'm not so sure we'll come out victorious.
Sounds like a nasty case of "pro basketball" to me...

Didn't the Nets beat the Celtics and the Spurs this season?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #50
samoan-maverickII

samoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to all

Dirk...

I'll probably stop watching NBA basketball for about a good two years after he retires... Going to be the worst day of my life...
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #51
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

My dad had season tickets from 84'-90', so I am pretty much a die hard Maverick fan. Kidd and Dirk are the bonus.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #52
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

If I had to decide between Mavs ring with no Dirk or Dirk ring with no Mavs, I think I'd have to go with the Dirk ring. The guy just deserves it.

For the record, I've been a Mavs fan for approaching 20 years. Jesus, I'm getting old.

Edit: To samoan, I hear ya. The day Dirk retires is going to be just absolutely brutal. I'll probably have to take the day off...maybe talk to a shrink or something that day.

Last edited by vinylstar; 04-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #53
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
If I had to decide between Mavs ring with no Dirk or Dirk ring with no Mavs, I think I'd have to go with the Dirk ring. The guy just deserves it.

For the record, I've been a Mavs fan for approaching 20 years. Jesus, I'm getting old.

Edit: To samoan, I hear ya. The day Dirk retires is going to be just absolutely brutal. I'll probably have to take the day off...maybe talk to a shrink or something that day.
where is your son these days? I miss him.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #54
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Dumb question. I'm a Mavs fan for life, its not possible to be both. I love the mavericks the crisp Kidd passes the alley oops to Roddy B, the sweet Dirk fade away jumper and now the nice hands of Brendan Haywood.

The most complete mavericks team ever? And lets not forget greatness 10 straight fifty win seasons hopefully capped out by an NBA championship.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #55
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
If I had to decide between Mavs ring with no Dirk or Dirk ring with no Mavs, ....
That's the good question. Let's edit the poll.

For me it's not difficult in the least - Mavs ring. Whoever is on a Mavs championship team will probably get as much love from me as Dirk does.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #56
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
That's the good question. Let's edit the poll.

For me it's not difficult in the least - Mavs ring. Whoever is on a Mavs championship team will probably get as much love from me as Dirk does.
That last part I don't agree with. While the Mavs winning a ring period would be incredible, doing so without Dirk.. I don't know, it would feel empty in a sense. Dirk IS the Dallas Mavericks, ya know?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #57
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
That last part I don't agree with. While the Mavs winning a ring period would be incredible, doing so without Dirk.. I don't know, it would feel empty in a sense. Dirk IS the Dallas Mavericks, ya know?
(First of all, Does anyone actually know who the conceited girl is in your signature? Because I have to say that I do not know who she is.)

Second of all, I would take a ring won by a team full of ringers, chimpanzees, or Antoine Walkers if they were in Mavs uniforms.

I love Dirk more than a heterosexual should, but give me that ring, no matter how it comes.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #58
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
(First of all, Does anyone actually know who the conceited girl is in your signature? Because I have to say that I do not know who she is.)

Second of all, I would take a ring won by a team full of ringers, chimpanzees, or Antoine Walkers if they were in Mavs uniforms.

I love Dirk more than a heterosexual should, but give me that ring, no matter how it comes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Carano
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #59
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
She's not as hot when you discover she can kick your ass...

Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #60
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I'm a Mark Cuban fan first and foremost. I assume I'll bolt outta here for the Cubs at some point.
Haha. This.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #61
Underdog

I was living in Detroit when I got into basketball, so naturally I was a fan of the Bad Boys while they were winning rings. Then the Jordan era happened and I lost all interest in basketball. I moved to Dallas during the 90s, so I didn't have a whole lot of reason to root for the Mavs back then...

Fast forward about a decade and I'm living in Austin - the Spurs are winning rings and everyone who lives there is a Spurs fan. One day I'm drinking beers with a buddy and he turns on a basketball game - Spurs vs Mavs. I hadn't cared about basketball in years, but during that game I was blown away by the electrifying play of Dirk & Nash (they combined for 60 points or something ridiculous like that).

I became a Mavs fan that day, mostly because of Dirk. To me, being a Mavs fan and being a Dirk fan are one in the same.

Like twistaeffect2004 said before, Dirk IS the Mavs...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-06-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #62
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs fan.

Loved the years from Jim Spanarkel on to the present.

Aguirre, Blackman, Davis, Ellis, Harper, etc.....
Aguirre had more post moves than 99% of the players today, and he played SF.

Then they sucked frankly.... and until Finley -- I didn't see much ability.

Fin, Nash and Dirk -- till present has been sweet and I seldom miss games.

I loved the Mavs before Dirk and I am sure I will like them after Dirk. I just don't really like the NBA anymore.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #63
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

For me, it all began when Martin Müürsepp was traded to Mavericks (I'm Estonian). So after Müürsepp career in NBA and in Mavericks was over, I already loved this organisation. Then ofcourse Nowitzki and Nash arrived, with them teaming up Finley, I was sold. So I'm more of a Mavericks fan, then Nowitzki fan. And right now it's easy for me to root for mavs. They have 8 out of my 10 favorite players Dirk, Haywood, Kidd, JJ, Najera, Marion, Stevenson, Roddy (they all were there before trades). So with or without Dirk, MFFL!
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #64
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Where can i enlist for Detlef Schrempf ?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #65
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Army, Red lobster, craigs list, kung fu and unicorns

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #66
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Mavs fan.

Loved the years from Jim Spanarkel on to the present.

Aguirre, Blackman, Davis, Ellis, Harper, etc.....
Aguirre had more post moves than 99% of the players today, and he played SF.

Then they sucked frankly.... and until Finley -- I didn't see much ability.

Fin, Nash and Dirk -- till present has been sweet and I seldom miss games.

I loved the Mavs before Dirk and I am sure I will like them after Dirk. I just don't really like the NBA anymore.
Yeah, his big rump had some major advantages down low..
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #67
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Mavs fan.... can hardly stand to watch a NBA game that isnt the Mavs, so if Dirk left...bye bye. good luck.
And unlike many of you. I'm not dreading the dirkless days. This team is a very long shot from a title. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for it, but we'd have to play out of our heads, and I dont know if this team can do that for a whole playoffs. But once this attempt is over, in probably 2 years, we'll have a new era of Mavs. Hopefully it wont take as long as last time to come around, but I'll be here all over again to watch it happen.... GO MAVS!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #68
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I was living in Detroit when I got into basketball, so naturally I was a fan of the Bad Boys while they were winning rings. Then the Jordan era happened and I lost all interest in basketball. I moved to Dallas during the 90s, so I didn't have a whole lot of reason to root for the Mavs back then...

Fast forward about a decade and I'm living in Austin - the Spurs are winning rings and everyone who lives there is a Spurs fan. One day I'm drinking beers with a buddy and he turns on a basketball game - Spurs vs Mavs. I hadn't cared about basketball in years, but during that game I was blown away by the electrifying play of Dirk & Nash (they combined for 60 points or something ridiculous like that).

I became a Mavs fan that day, mostly because of Dirk. To me, being a Mavs fan and being a Dirk fan are one in the same.

Like twistaeffect2004 said before, Dirk IS the Mavs...
I love Dirk..but its funny to me that someone says that they are a Mavs fan and then say "Dirk is the Mavs"

If Dirk is the Mavs why dont we send him out there alone everything and see if he gets the 50 wins or any of the accomplishments this team has had by himself?? NOT HAPPENING

Basketball is a team game and Dirk is the best player on this team....but he is NOT the team
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #69
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I love Dirk..but its funny to me that someone says that they are a Mavs fan and then say "Dirk is the Mavs"

If Dirk is the Mavs why dont we send him out there alone everything and see if he gets the 50 wins or any of the accomplishments this team has had by himself?? NOT HAPPENING

Basketball is a team game and Dirk is the best player on this team....but he is NOT the team
Let me know when this team can win a string of games without Dirk having to score 25+ a night and I might be inclined to agree with you...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #70
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Let me know when this team can win a string of games without Dirk having to score 25+ a night and I might be inclined to agree with you...
I am almost sure that there were a couple of games that they won recently that Dirk didnt get into the 20s i could be wrong. But like I said let me know when Dirk can win a gamw without at least 4 other players pout there...doesnt matter how bad you think they are and Ill agree with you
Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #71
Underdog

Quote:
But like I said let me know when Dirk can win a gamw without at least 4 other players pout there...doesnt matter how bad you think they are and Ill agree with you
Isn't that against the rules?

(and missing the point?)

Old 04-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #72
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
Where can i enlist for Detlef Schrempf ?
Just wanted to write the same. His first team were the Mavs back in 1985. During the 80's I wasn't that much into basketball, I spent most of my time playing soccer. When Schrempf got his b2b 6th man awards (while playing with the Pacers), the Mavs were pretty much in a slump and somehow I got sympathy for them. However, I was still more of a football fan and did not follow the NBA that much until Dirk appeared in the NBA.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 04-07-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #73
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Isn't that against the rules?

(and missing the point?)
You and one other person are the ones that stated "Dirk is the team" soo is it against the rules??

Without Dirk this team might not in 50 and might not get too far. But I would give them .500 record and a chance for one of the last spots
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #74
Underdog

Quote:
You and one other person are the ones that stated "Dirk is the team" soo is it against the rules??

Without Dirk this team might not in 50 and might not get too far. But I would give them .500 record and a chance for one of the last spots
Your translation of "Dirk is the team" is ridiculously literal.

Without Dirk, the Mavs are about on par with the Wizards...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #75
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your translation of "Dirk is the team" is ridiculously literal.

Without Dirk, the Mavs are about on par with the Wizards...
That is such a ridicules statement. They would be more on par with Memphis. And they would be in the hunt for the last playoff spot.

Kidd
Jet
Butler
Marion
Haywood/Damp

is not that bad..and its def. wayy better than the Wizards
Old 04-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #76
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember fumbling through the paper everyday looking for the sports section just to see if Jim Jackson had finally ended his holdout and signed his rookie contract. Newspapers seem so ridiculous now, but the fact that I cared so much about the sorry ass Mavs seems normal.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #77
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are there really that many people on this site that didn't root for the Mavs before Dirk was here?

Wow.
When I first started playing and watching basketball, it was during the reign of MJ. So obviously every other team / player was secondary. Then he retired. So I started rooting for the home team. It just so happened Dirk came around the same time. So Dirk and Mavs are the same to me.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #78
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is such a ridicules statement. They would be more on par with Memphis. And they would be in the hunt for the last playoff spot.

Kidd
Jet
Butler
Marion
Haywood/Damp

haha "ridicules" and "def."
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #79
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I am a huge Dirk fan, and started watching the Mavs because of him, but i'm also a "team guy", and now it's all about the team, really. If Dirk leaves one day (hopefully never happens), i will root for him, and wish him all the best, but not against the Mavs. I think it all depends on what kind of fan culture you're coming from. For example, the american "model" is a little different from the european way. Here, the emphasis is more on the team, than on individuals.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #80
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Kidd
Jet
Butler
Marion
Haywood/Damp

On paper.. but if you actually watched every game this season, you'd know that isn't true.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f' former sonics fans, false dialectic, thisthread f'ing blows