Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I haven't heard anything. I think they're just saving his legs. He needs the training camp/practice, maybe not as much in terms of game action right now.
ESPN said Carlisle sees no reason to play him back to backs in preseason...and would rather have him and Stack and Damp for Detroit

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #42
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Show that old team who the man is.
Carlisle just keeps coming off as a smart guy...why push Kidd right now? It's not necessary.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure he comes off as a smart guy because he IS a smart guy. I just hope he can get the most from Jason Kidd and Josh Howard.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #44
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

We were saying such nice things about Avery Johnson a couple of years ago too.

Just sayin. I am taking a severe "wait and see" approach with this thing.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #45
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the good things we were saying about avery were justified... I also believe we all had some disquieting issues with him. Inexperience, inability of the team to stand him for more than two years. Much came to pass... Other things he was exceptional at.

If you go back and read fishers post-mortem on the littlest napoleon...it took a coach of the year award for his head to super-nova.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #46
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
What's really sad is that I think we could've gotten something for Devean because he was a free agent that we had Bird rights to just KVH. The real kicker is that we not only didn't trade him when we could've gotten something for him, but we actually re-signed him. Why they didn't just let him walk is beyond me.
It is truly baffling. The only thing I can think (hope) is that we had no deal out there and resigned him to trade at the deadline as part of a larger deal (with Bass,etc.). Does anyone know if this is even possible? I remember hearing that Devean could once again veto any trade. Can we trade him this season?

And Carlisle must've been on board with it so I guess it's all right by me.http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/images/icons/icon12.gif
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #47
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The crying about resigning George is what I don't get. The fact that he's here is pretty much all you need to know regarding the question of whether there was a good sign and trade option, i.e., there wasn't.

And he wasn't signed to be traded later, either. He was signed because: 1) Carlisle and Donnie see him as a versatile defender who isn't prone to mental mistakes, 2) the Mavs needed to make sure the roster after the top 6 or 7 guys wasn't entirely peopled with kids who are just as likely to turn out to be busts as they are solid contributors, and 3) for the monetary options the Mavs had left after signing Diop to the MLE, George was the best available signing.

As to Wright and Green, I think Wright is correct in thinking that he'll earn a starting spot primarily with his defense. I am looking forward to seeing Green with Kidd, though.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #48
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c
The crying about resigning George is what I don't get. The fact that he's here is pretty much all you need to know regarding the question of whether there was a good sign and trade option, i.e., there wasn't.
So then just let him walk.

Quote:
And he wasn't signed to be traded later, either. He was signed because: 1) Carlisle and Donnie see him as a versatile defender who isn't prone to mental mistakes,
For the life of me I have no clue where this idea came from that Devean George is somehow a good defensive player, or that his "veteran skills" are so valuable. The guy is dead weight.

Quote:
2) the Mavs needed to make sure the roster after the top 6 or 7 guys wasn't entirely peopled with kids who are just as likely to turn out to be busts as they are solid contributors, and 3) for the monetary options the Mavs had left after signing Diop to the MLE, George was the best available signing.
Again, I'd rather just let him walk.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate DG as much as anyone, but he's clearly an above average defender.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-15-2008 at 08:06 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #50
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!

(And that, folks, is post #1000)
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #51
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
We were saying such nice things about Avery Johnson a couple of years ago too.

Just sayin. I am taking a severe "wait and see" approach with this thing.
Carlisle usually has a very good immediate impact on a new team, which is pretty much all I believe the Mavs are looking for at this point. Things may go sour in a few years, as they did with Avery, but there's not as much to look forward to at that point in time anyway.
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #52
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
+1
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #53
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to throw my hat in the "I like DG's defense" ring. I have a friend and fellow Mav's fan who dislikes DG simply because his defense is annoying to watch because he just looks like a pest out there. That's why I can tolerate him.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #54
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey
I just want to throw my hat in the "I like DG's defense" ring. I have a friend and fellow Mav's fan who dislikes DG simply because his defense is annoying to watch because he just looks like a pest out there. That's why I can tolerate him.
Your friend doesn't like Devean George because he plays good defense? WTF?!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #55
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrrIqvol0P4
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #56
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
....he's one of those guys you hate if he's not on your side.....something like a Bill Romanowski.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #57
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

..eh in my mind a D BAG is a D BAG! Even if he is on my team. Aka Pacman.. eventually they will hurt ya somehow. Waiting for S Avery to F the Stars by suspension or something.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #58
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007
..eh in my mind a D BAG is a D BAG! Even if he is on my team. Aka Pacman.. eventually they will hurt ya somehow. Waiting for S Avery to F the Stars by suspension or something.
.....knock on wood, knock on wood......cut George so we don't have to worry about it.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #59
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

LOL

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #60
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
lol
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #61
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Maybe Cuban's thinking George is our Robert Horry? Horry's won a ring at every stop? Hou, LA, SA. George LA.......eventually Dallas this year?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #62
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Agreed. I just view him and Barea has insurance pieces. Honestly though, I don't think either will get many minutes though so who cares if they are on the team or not. It's Cuban's money, not ours. We should all just be happy Cuban pays up to have some pieces in case of injuries.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 10-16-2008 at 11:57 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #63
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma
....he's one of those guys you hate if he's not on your side.....something like a Bill Romanowski.
I think this is exactly it. Kind of like a poor man's Bowen.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #64
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Maybe Cuban's thinking George is our Robert Horry? Horry's won a ring at every stop? Hou, LA, SA. George LA.......eventually Dallas this year?
We certainly prepped ourselves with letting Eddie Jones leaving.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #65
sike
The Preacha

if George gets minutes ahead of Green I'll be disappointed...I know he is the better defender and in spot situations it might be called for...but any time that George could be on the floor I'd prefer Wright or Howard.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #66
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

The Mavs should trade George at the first opportunity. He has become injury prone. Unlike the first few years of his career, he consistently fails to show up in big games. The Mavs should use the available minutes to develop new talent even if it means losing a few more regular season games.

Last edited by joebobbill; 10-17-2008 at 01:34 PM.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #67
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbill View Post
The Mavs should trade George at the first opportunity. He has become injury prone. Unlike the first few years of his career, he consistently fails to show up in big games. The Mavs should use the available minutes to develop new talent even if it means losing a few more regular season games.
I disagree with sacrificing games, I do agree with moving George though.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #68
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Wright may continue to start according to Sefko.

Ex-A&M star lookin like Wright fit for Dallas Mavericks at guard spot

12:19 AM CDT on Sunday, October 19, 2008

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

If the preseason is a series of clues about what the Mavericks will look like when the games count, it's looking more and more like Antoine Wright will be starting in the backcourt.

Wright was in the lineup again Saturday night against Sacramento, charged with guarding the Kings' explosive scorer, Kevin Martin.

Coach Rick Carlisle said the lineup still is fluid. But for now it appears Jason Terry will be coming off the bench, with Wright as the starter.

"It appears to be going that way," Carlisle said.

That doesn't mean Wright will get more minutes than Terry or Jerry Stackhouse. But Carlisle likes the tone Wright sets when he's out there at tipoff. And, as Carlisle has often said, the coach reserves the right to change his mind.

"We're 12 days away," he said of the season opener. "We're getting closer, but there's been no decision yet. I like what Antoine's doing to start games. He's giving us a defensive presence and a ball-handling presence. He's been solid."

Terry has consistently said he doesn't care whether he starts or comes off the bench. Given his penchant for late-game heroics, he figures to be a finisher even if he's not a starter.

"He doesn't care if he starts or doesn't start, which is great," Carlisle said. "He just wants to win. It's a great luxury to have a guy with that kind of attitude. Whatever you say, he says that's great."

Against the Kings, Wright was out of the game less than four minutes in. Josh Howard slid over to guard Martin, who didn't score until four minutes were left in the first period.

Howard's play in the preseason has been solid, particularly on defense. But Carlisle is hoping for more from Howard offensively. Howard has made an effort to avoid the step-back jumper in the preseason.

"I'm trying to get to the rim," he said.

That simple goal has an addendum, as far as the coach is concerned.

"I'm going to continue to stay in his ear about being a facilitator for other people," Carlisle said. "He can get his own offense anytime. But we're going to need him to be able to create for some of the other guys on our team that don't have the same kind of abilities that he has.

"When the ball goes up the floor, we want to get it to the rim. He's got that ability to change directions and get there under control. So we want him to exhaust that. If it's not there and you can get the guy backing up and get that 16-foot shot in rhythm, that's a good shot. But if that's not there, then we're moving it and playing basketball."

Barea on the mend: Backup point guard J.J. Barea's injured right knee was much improved. He did not play against the Kings, but said his goal is "to play at least one" of the last two exhibition games. Barea fell on his right knee at Detroit and banged it hard enough on the floor that the back of his leg and the kneecap were sore.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3ea6b40.html
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #69
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

There's also an article about Green but I can't sign in for some reason.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #70
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki looked like the best player on the court Saturday night in the Mavericks' 124-109 exhibition win over Sacramento. It's the first time during the preseason he's taken over a game, finishing with 21 points in 28 minutes.

For most of October, Nowitzki's biggest imprint has been reminding the Mavericks how to be pros and what a quality work ethic looks like. He and Jason Kidd have made sure the Mavericks' newcomers know what is expected.

"It helps having two first-ballot Hall of Famers," coach Rick Carlisle said.

One of the players the Mavericks hope gets a benefit from Nowitzki and Kidd is Gerald Green. He had his best game of the preseason with 29 points and six rebounds, not to mention a handful of dazzling dunks, in a mere 19 minutes.

If Green takes on the professionalism displayed by Nowitzki and Kidd, there's no ceiling for him with the Mavericks.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #71
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

If Green ever learns to work at his game like Dirk did, than really there is no ceiling for someone as physically talented as him.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #72
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Green was awesome against Sac. I think he had 3 steals in the 1st half, and shot well from outside.
This was the 1st Mavs game I've watched since the playoffs ended. Wright got in quick fould trouble defending K-Mart. But Green was a huge surprize.

Age wise, he ought to be a college senior, as he was drafted out of High School. He looks like one of those guys drafted too young. If he matures on the Mavs watch, he's got the body of a mid 1st round draft pick, and could be a real steal. He sure looked that way Saturday, but it is just 1 nite in the pre-season...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #73
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
If Green ever learns to work at his game like Dirk did, than really there is no ceiling for someone as physically talented as him.
that's a pretty huge if. that sort of obsession/commitment is what seperates the brilliant from the ordinary, and what makes Dirk bar none the greatest dallas maverick of all time.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #74
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki looked like the best player on the court Saturday night in the Mavericks' 124-109 exhibition win over Sacramento. It's the first time during the preseason he's taken over a game, finishing with 21 points in 28 minutes.

For most of October, Nowitzki's biggest imprint has been reminding the Mavericks how to be pros and what a quality work ethic looks like. He and Jason Kidd have made sure the Mavericks' newcomers know what is expected.

One of the players the Mavericks hope gets a benefit from Nowitzki and Kidd is Gerald Green. He had his best game of the preseason with 29 points and six rebounds, not to mention a handful of dazzling dunks, in a mere 19 minutes.

If Green takes on the professionalism displayed by Nowitzki and Kidd, there's no ceiling for him with the Mavericks.

* What the F? That is a bunch of Bull. He knocked down some J's that's it, Quite a few were contested. Work ethic my arse.

** Green looked like the best player on the court, followed by K Mart!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #75
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
* What the F? That is a bunch of Bull. He knocked down some J's that's it, Quite a few were contested. Work ethic my arse.

not going to get to far questioning Dirk's work ethic...that doesn't mean Green wasn't spectacular. But there is no reason throw Dirk under the bus for going 70% during the preseason.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #76
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Quote:

Don't get ahead of yourself. Gerald knocked down wide open 3's and I mean wide open ones...as he should. He was very good against the second squad...but I'd almost put stackhouse out there as one of if not the most important player in that period. He really ran the break and the team well.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #77
SMC0007
Guru

Get ahead of myself by saying Green looked like the best player on the court sat? I didn't say he's the best player on the team or that is gonna happen night in and night out, haha.

Stack was solid with 8 Ast and 0 turnovers!! Even tho he couldn't get 1 shot to fall I'll take 8 AST from him anyday. He already looks much better than last year.

Yeah, Green hit those open 3's (4/5) what else do you want?...that is great shooting%! He was 10/12 overall, 5/5FT, 6 Rebs, and a HUGE DUNK. That was solid game and his production wasn't just against the second squad either!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #78
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you seriously just say "work eithic my arse" about Dirk freaking Nowitzki?

If rep was working you'd have a negative for that one. That's ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #79
LSMF
Diamond Member

The only thing Im worried about now is the PG situation, it seems as if Coach Carlisie isn't planning on playing Jet as Kidd's backup, if he doesn't play Jet behind Kidd who will be the backup? Mcleod? J.J.Barea? This is something that haunts me alot, I can just imagine us in the playoffs playing a crucial game and Kidd gets into foul trouble and then Barea or Mcleod has to come in. That would be a nightmare...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #80
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Did you seriously just say "work eithic my arse" about Dirk freaking Nowitzki?

If rep was working you'd have a negative for that one. That's ridiculous.

Whoa, don't say anything about Dirk freaking Nowitzki, EVER... LOL. Take it easy killer read what it was in reference to before you go throwing virtual neg rep around for someone even mentioning our leader without kissing arse..
I would like to hold every player accountable if that is ok, regardless of what you think.