Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-05-2002, 06:40 PM   #41
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk for KG straight up would never happen.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2002, 06:49 PM   #42
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

and thank God for that!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:31 PM   #43
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

From who's perspective, the Mavs or Wolves? I said the Wolves probably wouldn't do it. Most Dirk fans and some Mavs fan wouldn't either though for that matter.
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:56 PM   #44
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Please see:

First Round Series, Dallas 3, Minnesota 0. April 2002.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:40 PM   #45
Red White and Blue

Are you judging this on 1 series? How about you judge it on production, just a thought.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:43 PM   #46
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Nope. I'm judging it on lots of things. I'm just too lazy to explain them all right now.

Production-wise, Dirk is better than KG. And.. he's younger. And.. he's just as versatile. And... etc.

Dirk has done just about everything Garnett has done, in less time, AND averaged 30/15 in a playoff series.

Edit: And.. he shoots three pointers.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:49 PM   #47
Red White and Blue

Please, post the stats for me, last time I checked KGs production was better. Just as versatile, not just play the position but can defend it as well? Please, let's not turn this into a Dirk/KG comparison. I am just stating my opinion, and I just don't think the Wolves would ever do KG/Dirk head up.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:53 PM   #48
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

I don't think EITHER team would do it.

There were tons of Dirk/KG threads back around playoff time.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:32 PM   #49
Red White and Blue

Around playoff time, no way in a millon years I would do it if I were the Mavs, but now that the playoffs are done and the seasons about to begin.......it's a different story. I am a big Dirk fan, and a huge Mavs fan. I am just talking, I probably wouldn't do it, but that's only because I love Dirk and what he does for the Mavs.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:39 PM   #50
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

In no way is this a knock against KG, but from the Mavs' perspective, I wouldn't deal Dirk straight-up for him.

KG is a supertalent, probably a better all-around player than Dirk at this point--more versatile, at least, IMO.

I think Dirk, however, is a better offensive player, and he's still improving. If he continues to develop his low-post game and passing/playmaking abilities, I'd forsee him and KG as being virtually equal talents.

Ultimately it will be KG's versatility v. Dirk's superior offensive talents.

From the Mavs' perspective, I wouldn't do the deal because it doesn't elevate them beyond where they are, and that kind of trade might even make them a less effective team because of the mix of talents.

In any case, we get to look forward to them matching up head-to-head for years to come.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:02 PM   #51
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

KG for Dirk? Never.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #52
Red White and Blue

What about the defense of the 2, that really doesn't matter with Dallas though I guess? The Mavs look to ouscore people, not shut them down but it's good to have atleast 1 player solid to very good defensively.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:16 PM   #53
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I think defense is KG's big edge. I guess by versatility I was referring to his D.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:56 PM   #54
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Yes, KG is a much better defender than Dirk. Despite that, Dirk averaged 30 and 15 in our series against them and Minnesota was swept out of the first round. My point being that yes, I would love it if Dirk improved his defense to get anywhere near the level of KG, but Dirk's offense has the clear edge over KG's defense.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:34 AM   #55
Red White and Blue

What about Kevins passing and rebounding ability? This game has alot more to it, than just scoring, and that's the reason I would even think about doing it. Kevin is versatile, the most versatile player in the game, and not many players come close to him. To avg 20 10 5 is damn good, and that's rounding down. We wont even mention the blocks, steals, etc.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:53 AM   #56
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

I would not make the trade, but I think you could argue that swapping Garnett for Dirk would improve both teams.

Minn could use an offensive powerhouse that is not unwilling to take the money shots in the fourth quarter. That is one of the biggest complaints about Garnett. Dirk would have no problem taking over in the fourth quarter of games. Some Mavs fans complain that he doesn't get enough shots anyway.

The mavs could use Garnett's passing and defense. We have other talented offensive players who could benefit from his unselfishness down the stretch of big games. He could help stop the layup line that is our defense.

threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:00 PM   #57
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

You may be confusing versatility with well-rounded. Or I may be creating the distinction to try to make my point: KG is a better defender and passer and a slightly better rebounder than Dirk. Dirk is a significantly better scorer from the low post all the way out to the three point line and he is a better ball-handler. KG is also several years older, with those same years as extra years in the league, meaning Dirk has more upside (KG's numbers haven't really changed the last 3 years, Dirk's are still going up).

Given the above I wouldn't trade Dirk for KG straight up even before you factor in production vs. salary or the fact that the two can't be traded straight up--Dallas would have to add some significant salary to match KG's.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #58
Red White and Blue

I did a little research on the matter and this is what I came up with:

Kevin Garnet- 21.2 points 12.10 rebounds 5.2 assists 1.19 steals 1.56 blocks

Dirk Nowitzki- 23.4 points 9.90 rebounds 2.4 assists 1.09 steals 1.01 blocks

So looking at stats, it's pretty clear who gives you more production and I see why Minny wouldn't probably do the deal, Garnett does so much for them. Dirk has him by 2.2 points, but everything else KG is clearly better. How is it that KG averages the exact same more rebounds than Dirk as Dirk outscores him but he is only a slightly better rebounder? That I do not understand, KG is clearly better than Dirk at everything except scoring, and the numbers prove that. Correct me if I am wrong but KG is the only guy in the league with averages of 20 10 and 5, that's rounding down. So I think it's pretty easy to put him in a league of his own. Not that I am saying he is the best player in the league but I will say that AT THE TIME he is better than Dirk. I keep hearing the scoring thrown in there but I think the tough defense, the "significantly" better rebounds, assists, steals and blocks make up for the 2.2 points. So if you can score, you are better than guys that can not only score but defend, dish the ball, and alot of other things on the court. I think KG is a better ball handler but that's just me, also KG is only 2 years older than Dirk. He also plays 82 games a year, and rarely miss games. How is Dirk a better lost post scorer all the way up to the 3 point line? Exactly where does Kevin score his points thse days, all 21.2 of them? Kevin can not only play 3 positions but he can also defend 3 positions, and that's what I mean by vesatile. So with all this in mind, if you are basing this on production, I think it's pretty clear who is "significantly" better.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:29 PM   #59
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

KG gets the ball on just about every possession on offense, on minnesota. That increases KG's assists and it increases KG's scoring. KG gets to shoot the ball as much as he wants. Also, dirk was injured in several games, which lowered his stats. If dirk didn't get injured he would have averaged about 25 points per game and about 10.5 rebounds per game, this season. If dirk was on minnesota, and kg wasn't, dirk would get the ball on just about every possession on offense. If dirk was on minnesota, and kg wasn't, dirk would get more assists than dirk gets on the mavs. If dirk was on minnesota, and kg wasn't, dirk would get to shoot the ball as much as he wants. If dirk was on minnesota and kg wasn't, dirk would average a lot more points per game, than dirk does on the mavs. Scoring is the most important thing to do in basketball. Dirk is a much better scorer than KG. Also, dirk plays behind the three point line on just about every possession on offense, which means dirk isn't in position to get offensive rebounds. If KG played behind the three point line on just about every possession on offense, KG's rebounds would go down. If KG played on the mavs, KG's points and assists would go down, because KG would get the ball less on the mavs, than KG gets the ball on minnesota. Also, you need to consider that don nelson uses an offense in which the mavs don't pass the ball very much. This is part of the reason why the mavs don't get that many assists, and the mavs don't commit many turnovers. Minnesota asks KG to pass the ball, Don Nelson doesn't ask Dirk to pass the ball.

Minnesota would trade KG for Dirk in a heartbeat. The main reason minnesota would consider trading KG is because of his contract. KG has a contract for about 126 million dollars. KG's contract makes it tough for minnesota to sign free agents. I read somewhere, that KG could end up getting about 300 million dollars after this contract. I don't know if KG will get about 300 million dollars, I'm just pointing out that KG's contract makes it very tough for minnesota to improve. KG is a free agent in about 2 years. Dirk has about a 90 million dollar contract. Dirk is a free agent in about 6 years. With dirk, minnesota would have much more flexibility to sign free agents and they would know that dirk isn't a free agent for about 6 more years. Minnesota doesn't know if KG will leave minnesota after KG's contract runs out. I don't think the mavs would trade dirk for kg.

I think Dirk is better than KG, right now. Also, I think Dirk has a higher upside than KG. I think Dirk will clearly be a better player than KG, in a few years.

PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 04:01 PM   #60
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, Peter.

That was one of the best explanations of the Dirk vs Garnett arguments I've ever seen.

(Personally I'd take Dirk in a heartbeat. And it is more of his intangibles more so than "production." Dirk is constantly working on his game. He wants to win. He is very much a team player. And with 3 minutes to go and the game on the line, Dirk **wants** the ball. You can't teach that skill. Webber doesn't have that passion to want the ball at crunchtime. Garnett doesn't have that passion for wanting the ball at crunchtime. Dirk has that passion. It's the same passion that Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc had when they played. And that is why when Dirk is finished he will be holding a trophy or two. He will be considered one of the 50 greatest players.)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 04:08 PM   #61
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< Damn, Peter.

That was one of the best explanations of the Dirk vs Garnett arguments I've ever seen.
>>

Thanks, Bayliss.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:25 PM   #62
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Vecsey addressed the core of the question and I'll just add to it. Scoring is not only about the total points but about efficiency. Garnett and Dirk are both the #1 options on their team--but Garnett is a clear #1 with Wally a distant #2 while Dirk shares the scoring load with 2 other all-stars, one of whom (Finley) actually takes more shots per game than he does. And even when he doesn't shoot, the offense still runs through Garnett on every possession, while on the Mavs the offense runs through Nash. Dirk touches the ball far less than Garnett does. IOW, Garnett is scoring as much as he can. Dirk has potential to score far more than he does.

When they do touch the ball, Garnett scores 21.2 per game. Last season he took 1401 shots over 81 games to get that average=17.3 shots per game.

Dirk scores 23.4. He did so with 1,258 shots over 76 games=16.5 shots per game. Dirk also had 516 free throw attempts to Garnetts 448 in more games. Dirk only shoots 48% to Garnett's 47% but Dirk also shoot 38% from 3-pt as opposed to Garnett's 32% (Dirk made 3 times as many 3-ptrs last year as Garnett). I.e., Dirk shoots one fewer times per game than Garnett but scores 2 more points. He is a better 3 point shooter and is a genuine threat who must be guarded if he is anywhere on the floor--the 3 is a novelty act for Garnett; Dirk is a better low-post scorer (as shown by the free throw attempts) who gets his defender into foul trouble.

As far as versatile, yes, Garnett can play 3 positions. On defense, Dirk can also play 3 positions though as I already admitted, Garnett is far superior as a defender. OTOH, Dirk can paly 4 positions on offense. Nellie even claims he can play the point (5 positions). I don't think he's ever proven that, but Dirk is the best 7' ball-handler in the NBA currently.

And again, I think the sweep spoke for itself. Dirk was playing against one of the best defenders at his &quot;position&quot; (since Garnett is one of the few people who can legitimately guard Dirk at all 3 positions) in the league and he averaged 33.3 pts--and yes, a lot of those were made when someone else was guarding him because Minnesota's coach didn't want to get Garnett into foul trouble trying to guard Dirk, but its still the same point: Dirk's offense kicked KG's defense's ass.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #63
Red White and Blue

IF IF IF, that's not reality. What is reality is the numbers the 2 puts up, and KGs is clearly better. Dirks numbers are no slouch don't get me wrong but KGs are better. What do you mean Webber and KG don't have that passion? C Webb showed in the playoffs against the Mavs he has it, and hopefully put the doubters to rest. I am sure Kevin works on his game, just as Dirk or anyone else. Like he said in the commercial, there is no offseason. I asked a few guys that work for ESPN who they thought was better, and all picked KG. Minny would want more than Dirk for KG, the guy does it all for the team. He doesn't need an all-star pg to get him the ball, KG is a beast. Both Finley and Dirk does well because of the play of 1 Steve Nash. Without Steve playing at the level he did last year, both would be happy scoring 20ppg. What do you mean if Dirk wasn't hurt, that's making excuses? Dirk would be the last person to use that as an excuse as to why he didn't put up better numbers. He suited up for 76 games, I believe they count the stats based on the 76 he played, not 82. If it were true as you say it, then alot of people would have averaged this and that if they were more healthy. That's how it goes sometime, he only missed 6 games. That's the thing with KG, he don't just stand around. He plays the post, yet he can step out in hit the mid-range J as well as the 3. I am sure Nash and the rest gets Dirk the ball as many times as he want. Dirk is benefiting from a very good pg, and a very good sg that sees double teams quite a bit too. We all know KG not only sees double teams, but some triple teams on night in and night out. By averaging 2.2 points more, that makes him a much better scorer? That's hilarious, how so? If that's right then, KG is a much better passer, rebounder, defender, etc etc. Let me throw 1 more stat at you, KG shoots the ball 17.30 times a game, compared to Dirks 16.55, which means KG only shoots .75 more than Dirk. Dirk also shoots more FTs, than Kevin. Dirk gets 5.79 of his points a game on FTs as to Kevins 4.43. So, in my opinion this is pretty clear cut who has the better production.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:49 PM   #64
Red White and Blue

That's just it, when you talk about Dirks game all you talk about is offense. When you talk about Kevins game, it is much more than just scoring. It's alot of things, and he does it well. The only thing Dirk can do better than KG is shoot the ball. KG didn't guard Dirk, the same reason why Dirk didn't guard him. Dirk was fouled on a lot of jumpshots and 3 pointers, I don't know if there are stats to prove it, but anyone who watches the Mavs like I do has seen the same thing. KG is not 7ft, he is 6&quot; 11' so there's no argument from me as to who's the best ball handling 7ftr. Sure he can play 4 position on offense, but KG can play 3 position on offense as well as defense. In my opinion Dirk can not do that, KG can guard just about any 3, 4, or 5 out there not named Shaq. I don't believe Dirk can do it, atleast I haven't seen it and I haven't missed a Mavs game in years. Like KG said, he can't do it alone. If everyone does their part then they would get out the 1st round. The sweeps proves nothing about who's the better player of the 2, if that was the case then CWebb is lots better than Dirk, even though he did outplay him in the series. Alot would say he is, but some would say he isn't. Wally was an allstar, so I don't think he was as distant as you say.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:52 PM   #65
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< By averaging 2.2 points more, that makes him a much better scorer? That's hilarious, how so? If that's right then, KG is a much better passer, rebounder, defender, etc etc. >>

I laid out the stats for you, if you can't follow them then I'm afraid that's a problem a message board isn't going to help you with.

<< Dirk also shoots more FTs, than Kevin. Dirk gets 5.79 of his points a game on FTs as to Kevins 4.43. So, in my opinion this is pretty clear cut who has the better production. >>

Yes, I already noted that Dirk shot more fts than KG (Did you even read my post? Or since your mind is already made up did you not worry about it?) Getting to the free throw line is part of being a scorer. That's why Shaq led the league in free throw attempts followed by Duncan then Pierce, Malone, Bryant, etc.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:59 PM   #66
Red White and Blue

Well, if you take the time to look at the times that the posts were posted on this site you will see that I was writing my posts as you posted yours. No need for an personal attack, this is a debate not an argument.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:17 PM   #67
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< IF IF IF, that's not reality. What is reality is the numbers the 2 puts up, and KGs is clearly better. Dirks numbers are no slouch don't get me wrong but KGs are better. What do you mean Webber and KG don't have that passion? C Webb showed in the playoffs against the Mavs he has it, and hopefully put the doubters to rest. I am sure Kevin works on his game, just as Dirk or anyone else. Like he said in the commercial, there is no offseason. I asked a few guys that work for ESPN who they thought was better, and all picked KG. Minny would want more than Dirk for KG, the guy does it all for the team. He doesn't need an all-star pg to get him the ball, KG is a beast. Both Finley and Dirk does well because of the play of 1 Steve Nash. Without Steve playing at the level he did last year, both would be happy scoring 20ppg. What do you mean if Dirk wasn't hurt, that's making excuses? Dirk would be the last person to use that as an excuse as to why he didn't put up better numbers. He suited up for 76 games, I believe they count the stats based on the 76 he played, not 82. If it were true as you say it, then alot of people would have averaged this and that if they were more healthy. That's how it goes sometime, he only missed 6 games. That's the thing with KG, he don't just stand around. He plays the post, yet he can step out in hit the mid-range J as well as the 3. I am sure Nash and the rest gets Dirk the ball as many times as he want. Dirk is benefiting from a very good pg, and a very good sg that sees double teams quite a bit too. We all know KG not only sees double teams, but some triple teams on night in and night out. By averaging 2.2 points more, that makes him a much better scorer? That's hilarious, how so? If that's right then, KG is a much better passer, rebounder, defender, etc etc. Let me throw 1 more stat at you, KG shoots the ball 17.30 times a game, compared to Dirks 16.55, which means KG only shoots .75 more than Dirk. Dirk also shoots more FTs, than Kevin. Dirk gets 5.79 of his points a game on FTs as to Kevins 4.43. So, in my opinion this is pretty clear cut who has the better production. >>

If dirk played on minnesota, dirk's production would go up. If kg played on dallas, kg's production would go down. KG gets the ball alot more than Dirk. KG is being fully utilized and Dirk isn't being fully utilized. Ask any basketball expert and they will tell you the same thing. I think dirk is the most underutilized player in the nba. Dirk does't even take the most fg attempts on the mavs.

You are comparing their numbers, and dirk was injured in several games, this season. With your logic, then a player could score 100 points two games in a row, then only score 15 points in a another game because he got injured and had to leave then the game. With your logic, the player isn't a 100 point per game scorer. That is ridiculous.

If dirk played on minnesota, dirk would average a lot more points than dirk does on the mavs. It's really that simple.

It's funny that all of the great offensive players in the nba can score a lot of points, when they are being double teamed. But when someone points out that kg averages about 21 points per game, then all the excuses start. KG is a good offensive player, not a great offensive player. Dirk is a great offensive player. Scoring is the most important thing to do in basketball.

It is easier to put up great numbers when you are on a team with no other great players. If there aren't any other great players on your team, you will get the ball a lot more than a player who has to share the ball with other great players. Look at what tmac did right when he left toronto. Look at what mj did when he left north carolina. Look at what vince carter did after he left north carolina. Look at bibby's regular season numbers on the kings, and compare them to bibby's regular season numbers on the grizzlies. Kevin Mchale only averaged about 17 points per game for his career, because he had to share the ball with larry bird and robert parish. Rashard Lewis's numbers will go down if he comes to the mavs, because rashard lewis won't get the ball as much as he did on seattle. Look at peja's numbers when webber was injured. Peja's points per game went up when webber was injured, because peja got the ball more. If tmac had to share the ball with grant hill, tmac's numbers would go down. If kobe didn't have to share the ball with shaq, kobe would average more points per game. Put kobe on the mavs, and kobe's stats will go down. Put vince carter on the mavs, and vince carter's stats will go down. Put iverson on the mavs and his stats will go down.

Dirk averaged about 30 points per game for about 14 games when finley was injured, this season. Dirk got more double teams when finley was injured, and Dirk's stats went up.

Old 08-06-2002, 05:29 PM   #68
Red White and Blue

IF IF IF, those guys play for their teams not the Mavs'. Also is averaging 21 points is good, and 23 is great, then where does the Carters, Iverson, O'Neals, Duncans, Mcgradys, Bryants, Pierces and Jordans(if he wasnt injured he would have scored 30ppg, as you say) fall in your eyes? Are they all better than Dirk because they all score more? Look, I have said that Dirk is a better scorer, but this great and KG good crap is nothing more than biasness. I wonder why all the sites that's not fan based have KG better, but on a Mavs site there player is clearly better. In my opinion, KG is better now. I wont dare say he will be better next year or the year after, because I think Dirk has what it takes to maybe be better but at the present time KGs stats are much better. Dirk is a 23.4 ppg scorer, there's no debating that but the fact that he could do this and that if he was this or that is ridiculous.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:43 PM   #69
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< IF IF IF, those guys play for their teams not the Mavs'. Also is averaging 21 points is good, and 23 is great, then where does the Carters, Iverson, O'Neals, Duncans, Mcgradys, Bryants, Pierces and Jordans(if he wasnt injured he would have scored 30ppg, as you say) fall in your eyes? Are they all better than Dirk because they all score more? Look, I have said that Dirk is a better scorer, but this great and KG good crap is nothing more than biasness. I wonder why all the sites that's not fan based have KG better, but on a Mavs site there player is clearly better. In my opinion, KG is better now. I wont dare say he will be better next year or the year after, because I think Dirk has what it takes to maybe be better but at the present time KGs stats are much better. Dirk is a 23.4 ppg scorer, there's no debating that but the fact that he could do this and that if he was this or that is ridiculous. >>

I have already stated that if dirk didn't get injured, dirk would have averaged about 25 points and about 10.5 rebounds per game, this season. If you want to overlook that, then go for it. All of the players you listed get the ball a lot more than dirk. All of the players you listed(besides shaq) have a lower points per shot than dirk. The stats of all of those players you listed would go down, if they played on the mavs. This isn't complicated. Also, you obviously need to look at the amount of shots those players take and their points per shot. Jordan was averaging about 24 points per game before he got injured and had a terrible fg percentage.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:54 PM   #70
Red White and Blue

When Iverson won the MVP title and led the sixers to the finals, did it matter how many times he shot the ball? No, it didn't matter as long as he get the job done. Hell, he couldv'e shot a million times a game, but if he shoots his team into the finals then he did his job. It doesn't matter how you get the job done, as long as it gets done. Kobe shoots alot, but he also has 3 rings. Maybe if Dirk shot more and had the drive to win like these guys, then maybe just maybe we can celebrate a title here in Dallas. Cause as you guys say it, it all rests on his shoulders. The thing is, if we live by the 3, we will die by it. These other guys isn't all about shooting Jumpers. Yes Dirk shoots less and averages more than KG, but KG is alot more than a scorer. Yes, scoring is the most important but the great players are remembered for more than scoring. KG is a scorer, but he is also known for his rebounding, passing, and defense. That's why I put him easily in front of Dirk, AT THE TIME. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 06:01 PM   #71
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< When Iverson won the MVP title and led the sixers to the finals, did that matter? No, it don't matter as long as you get the job done. Hell, he couldv'e shot a million times a game, but if he shoots his team into the finals then he did his job. It doesn't matter how you get the job done, as long as it gets done. Kobe shoots alot, but he also has 3 rings. Maybe if Dirk was as aggresive and had that drive to be on these guys level and to win, then maybe just maybe we can celebrate a title here in Dallas. Yes Dirk shoots less and averages more than KG, but KG is alot more than a scorer. Yes, scoring is the most important but the great players are remembered for more than scoring. KG is a scorer, but he is also known for his rebounding, passing, and defense. That's why I put him easily in front of Dirk, AT THE TIME. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] >>

Iverson plays in the eastern conference. The eastern conference is a terrible conference, right now. Kobe plays on the same team as Shaq. If shaq was on the mavs, then dirk would have titles too.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:28 PM   #72
PeterVecseyisdumb

Red White And Blue, Dirk is one of the most efficient players at getting to the free throw line in the nba. If you think dirk just shoots jumpers to get to the free throw line, then you probably haven't seen many mavs games. With your logic, then glenn robinson, reggie miller, ray allen, etc. should be getting to the free throw line a lot.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:08 PM   #73
Red White and Blue

I dont debate that, but what I am saying is that other guys do more than score and that's why I put some guys in front of Dirk. Dirk is a 7ft jumpshooter/3pt shooter, I think defenders respect his J more than those other guys. I watch alot of Mavs games, as well as other teams in the NBA. I thought you said the Eastern Conference is terrible, there players shouldn't matter right?
Old 08-06-2002, 07:29 PM   #74
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< I dont debate that, but what I am saying is that other guys do more than score and that's why I put some guys in front of Dirk. Dirk is a 7ft jumpshooter/3pt shooter, I think defenders respect his J more than those other guys. I watch alot of Mavs games, as well as other teams in the NBA. I thought you said the Eastern Conference is terrible, there players shouldn't matter right? >>

Red White And Blue, I guess you don't think rebounding matters. I brought up the eastern conference because you said iverson went to the nba finals. I said the eastern conference is a terrible conference, right now. If the sixers played in the west, iverson probably would have lost in the first round. If the mavs played in the east, the mavs probably would have gone to the nba finals, for the last two seasons.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:30 PM   #75
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't trade dirk for garnet either. Give dirk the 3-4 years that garnett has been playing in the nba and his assists, rebounds and probably scoring will be up as well. Especially as he gets a little more post up game.

Nellis is already beginning to run the offense through dirk more and more, especially at the end of games. There is a reason that dirk and nash were leading in that crazy nestles' crunch statistic, it's because at the end of the games, you give it to dirk and he either delivers....period.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:32 PM   #76
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Im not sure what the argument here is but if its who is the better player out of Dirk and Garentt I give my vote to Garnett. If its who is the best for the Mavs I give it to Dirk. Two of Dirk's weaknesses are his passing and his defense. 2 of Garnetts talents are his passing and his weakness. The better jump shooter is Dirk obviously. But then u have defense, passing, rebounding, blocking, steatling and handles. Now I think we can all agree that Garnett as of now is better than Dirk in those catergories. I was lisetnign to ESPN Radio when Mavs were goign against twolves and they compared Dirk to KG. A guy was asked who is the better player and he basicaly said Garnett but Garnett has also been in the league longer and is older than Dirk. I mean Dirk has had 2 consectutive years being a good player. KG has had over 4 years of being a good player. LEts have this convo in 2 more years then it will be a better comparison but as of now Dirk has had 2 good years under his belt KG has proven more in more years.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:38 PM   #77
Red White and Blue

Yes rebounding counts, and Kevin is significantly better, but all I have seen guys mention about Dirk is his scoring. FFM, that is exactly what I am saying. I even said that in a couple years, I think Dirk has what it takes to be better. The offense on the team runs through Dirk, seeing how he is the 1st option. He may not shoot the most but he does get a lot of touches on this team. KG is only 2 years older than Dirk, that's not much.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:54 PM   #78
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, the Clippers probably will make the playoffs this year.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 02:41 PM   #79
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

KG to the mavs works. You can't pass on a player if the rumor comes true. KG and Nowitzki has dominance written on it Raef is nice Lewis has the marks to be a star but KG is a top ten player and any time you can add a player like that I think you do it. Sure our team is young and going to get better but how much better is Finley and Nash going to be? Van Exel Lewis KG Uberman, and Raef would be something special. VanExel, Lewis and Raef would be the role players and Dirk would be our Batman while KG would be the Robin. Even with the shortnened Bench the starting five would be the best in the league, then with Griffin, Najera, Johnson, and Eshemeyer you would have a good bench. If we need more scoring we wait for Oggy and Mladen in 2003-2004 season than we would have a hell of a team. Chemistry only takes you so far talent needs to take us the rest of the way, if it happens dynasty? After all KG and Dirk beats shaq and his front court, it beats Sactowns 35 Divac and Webber 28; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] JC
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote