Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #41
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...tim&id=5023260

It was a classic case of Kidd taking over to change the course of a game.

"What more can you say about Jason Kidd?" coach Rick Carlisle said. "He again, I thought, willed the team with just his energy, his enthusiasm."

WOW are u serious Carlisle??
I understand Kidd Stepped Up But It Was When RODDY B came in to the game!
If Roddy B didnt come in im not sure if we woulda won this game!
i seriously think carlisle hates roddy now! Gives Roddy No Credit at all.
Carlisle's a Joke.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #42
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i can't believe there are actually people making excuses for RC and Bill Kennedy on this one. It was a really quick tech the first and second came back to back. Kennedy did after all miss the call. and like it or not superstars do get preferential treatment in the NBA. Dirk doesn't complain overly much in relation to how much he gets held and bumped and hand checked. i can't remember ever seeing a superstar get such a quick ejection for so little. and no Rasheed Wallace was never a superstar even though people seem to keep over-inflating him as one of the greatest talents of his generation.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #43
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think the players would laugh hysterically at most of this over the top coach bashing. If they tuned this coach out so soon that would be the absolute worst team of unprofessional babies in basketball history and I would stop watching.
these people spend alot of time with one another. they're human. you don't think people get sick of each other (coach included) over the course of a long NBA grind. i mean i cringe when i hear Avery Johnson speak on TV for 5 minutes! let alone in the locker room, bus, plane, etc. day after day
don't know the guy but RC seems a little aloof and pompous and stubborn. all we have is body of work and rep to go on. and the weird constipated look he has on the bench most of the time.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
i can't believe there are actually people making excuses for RC and Bill Kennedy on this one. It was a really quick tech the first and second came back to back. Kennedy did after all miss the call. and like it or not superstars do get preferential treatment in the NBA. Dirk doesn't complain overly much in relation to how much he gets held and bumped and hand checked. i can't remember ever seeing a superstar get such a quick ejection for so little. and no Rasheed Wallace was never a superstar even though people seem to keep over-inflating him as one of the greatest talents of his generation.
The reality is you have no idea what Dirk said to him. I thought it looked like a bit of an over reaction myself, but Dirk obviously said SOMETHING after the first tech. Which he just can't do in that situation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #45
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
these people spend alot of time with one another. they're human. you don't think people get sick of each other (coach included) over the course of a long NBA grind. i mean i cringe when i hear Avery Johnson speak on TV for 5 minutes! let alone in the locker room, bus, plane, etc. day after day
don't know the guy but RC seems a little aloof and pompous and stubborn. all we have is body of work and rep to go on. and the weird constipated look he has on the bench most of the time.

Being around people constantly, you find something annoying about everyone sooner or later, but it seems ridiculous for a professional team to already be out on a coach who has been around as little as RC has. Now Utah and Sloan, I could see that happening but not here already.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #46
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Thig, if you think Dirk deserved to get ejected, you're crazy man. NO star gets TWO T's in a matter of seconds for arguing. No one.

And actually, complaining about calls IS part of the coach's job. Watch Phil, Karl, Pop, Sloan, Van Gundy ect. ALL of them lobby for calls during the game AND in postgame quotes. Point blank, it's part of the game. RC almost never does it.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #47
mac222b
Diamond Member

in the here and now most of us mavs fans wish for a few things. consistent defensive effort, a consistent rotation, consistent minutes for Roddy.

(personally i'd like to see some minutes for D.Stevenson as well so he's ready for potential playoff matchups. he's a really good on ball defender).

the two eternal things we all keep coming back to around here it seems to me- getting stops and getting to the free throw line. both are in some ways a function of mindset or desire. you can get stops if the whole team buys into a team concept and plays tough, smart defense on each possession. sometimes our team settles for too many jump-shots,hence my sometimes borderline irrational love for Stack . he too shot alot of jump-shots but the dude had a knack for getting to the line. in a tight playoff game a few free-throws, getting in the bonus early, is often the difference btween win and loss.

our beloved Mavs can be frustratingly inconsistent, often times in the course of a single game by turns both inspired and apathetic, and we've heard talk lately about lack of focus from the players and witnessed it ourselves. i want to see MORE passion from these guys. more technicals. more tough physical play. more taking it into the lane(from Dirk, Roddy and Caron esp.). more lobbying for calls (that Dirk just isn't getting and should be) from Rick Carlisle. hate on the Lakers and Phil Jackson all you want but he understands gamesmanship. when he gripes in the press about calls or calls his own player out it's for a purpose. how is RC throwing Dirk under the bus exactly supposed to light a fire under him or the team? we want him to be more passive? that's the bad side of Dirk. he can be too deferential. i want the tongue wagging, smiling confident Dirk fearlessly launching 3's on the break. not the too nice for his own good version. if it means getting thrown out of a game to prove a point, light a fire, whatever. Dirk's one of the 5 best players on the freaking planet. Carlisle is replaceable(larry brown?) Dirk is not.

i guess at heart what im saying is this: if this team, any team, is a mirror of it's coach & star players then these situations really are telling us something about our team. we're all entitled to our own opinions. mine: it's not so much that Carlisle has "lost" this team it's that he seems to have lost the ability to see how much his decisions impact our guys being in a position to succeed. play Najera over Haywood/Damp, JJ over Roddy/Deshawn and we won't get stops or boards and can't break for easy baskets. don't advocate for Dirk, don't add to the (healthy) chip on his shoulder. scold him like someone's Mom instead. continue to allow the opposition to push and paw at him. we'll see how that turns out.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #48
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Thig, if you think Dirk deserved to get ejected, you're crazy man. NO star gets TWO T's in a matter of seconds for arguing. No one.

And actually, complaining about calls IS part of the coach's job. Watch Phil, Karl, Pop, Sloan, Van Gundy ect. ALL of them lobby for calls during the game AND in postgame quotes. Point blank, it's part of the game. RC almost never does it.
You're honestly taking the position that RC "almost never" lobbies for calls.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
in the here and now most of us mavs fans wish for a few things. consistent defensive effort, a consistent rotation, consistent minutes for Roddy.

(personally i'd like to see some minutes for D.Stevenson as well so he's ready for potential playoff matchups. he's a really good on ball defender).

the two eternal things we all keep coming back to around here it seems to me- getting stops and getting to the free throw line. both are in some ways a function of mindset or desire. you can get stops if the whole team buys into a team concept and plays tough, smart defense on each possession. sometimes our team settles for too many jump-shots,hence my sometimes borderline irrational love for Stack . he too shot alot of jump-shots but the dude had a knack for getting to the line. in a tight playoff game a few free-throws, getting in the bonus early, is often the difference btween win and loss.

our beloved Mavs can be frustratingly inconsistent, often times in the course of a single game by turns both inspired and apathetic, and we've heard talk lately about lack of focus from the players and witnessed it ourselves. i want to see MORE passion from these guys. more technicals. more tough physical play. more taking it into the lane(from Dirk, Roddy and Caron esp.). more lobbying for calls (that Dirk just isn't getting and should be) from Rick Carlisle. hate on the Lakers and Phil Jackson all you want but he understands gamesmanship. when he gripes in the press about calls or calls his own player out it's for a purpose. how is RC throwing Dirk under the bus exactly supposed to light a fire under him or the team? we want him to be more passive? that's the bad side of Dirk. he can be too deferential. i want the tongue wagging, smiling confident Dirk fearlessly launching 3's on the break. not the too nice for his own good version. if it means getting thrown out of a game to prove a point, light a fire, whatever. Dirk's one of the 5 best players on the freaking planet. Carlisle is replaceable(larry brown?) Dirk is not.

i guess at heart what im saying is this: if this team, any team, is a mirror of it's coach & star players then these situations really are telling us something about our team. we're all entitled to our own opinions. mine: it's not so much that Carlisle has "lost" this team it's that he seems to have lost the ability to see how much his decisions impact our guys being in a position to succeed. play Najera over Haywood/Damp, JJ over Roddy/Deshawn and we won't get stops or boards and can't break for easy baskets. don't advocate for Dirk, don't add to the (healthy) chip on his shoulder. scold him like someone's Mom instead. continue to allow the opposition to push and paw at him. we'll see how that turns out.
This is just a giant eye roll. Every single bit of it.

It's not throwing Dirk under the bus to say he can't get thrown out there, it's the freaking truth. Regardless of whether it was deserved or not, you can't put yourself in that position. Barking and whining at refs is not the good side of Dirk. That's absurd.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #50
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

While the ref definitely seemed to call those two T's ridiculously fast, I agree with Thig that Dirk has to take some responsibility. Regardless of whether the ref is right or wrong in calling that 2nd T so quickly, Dirk has to know to shut the hell up after the first. That is precisely what RC was saying.

Fortunately, this is rare for Dirk.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #51
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
This is just a giant eye roll. Every single bit of it.

It's not throwing Dirk under the bus to say he can't get thrown out there, it's the freaking truth. Regardless of whether it was deserved or not, you can't put yourself in that position. Barking and whining at refs is not the good side of Dirk. That's absurd.
i guess a giant eye roll to you for being so frustratingly literal in your thinking. why can he not get thrown out there? says who? he's a grown man. and basketball is a game. but there is a bigger picture than last nights game. winning a championship. getting thrown out or protesting a call can be construed as "gamesmanship" by a coach but not a player? replace Carlisle with Terry Stotts tomorrow and what is the overall effect on the teams success long term and this year? not a whole lot. subtract Dirk and it's a different story. EVERYBODY complains about calls to the refs- bark whine whatever you want to call it. why suddenly so genteel? this isn't playground ball. advocating for oneself IS pushing back.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #52
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
i guess a giant eye roll to you for being so frustratingly literal in your thinking. why can he not get thrown out there? says who? he's a grown man. and basketball is a game. but there is a bigger picture than last nights game. winning a championship.
I have no idea what most of these statements have to do with anything. It's a game? He's a grown man? Confusing.

Regardless, the Mavs layed a fantastic egg Monday, and they desperately needed that win last night as they try and get the two seed. It's ridiculously obtuse to act like making a statement against the refs was more important than the game at hand.

Quote:
getting thrown out or protesting a call can be construed as "gamesmanship" by a coach but not a player? replace Carlisle with Terry Stotts tomorrow and what is the overall effect on the teams success long term and this year? not a whole lot. subtract Dirk and it's a different story.
While you're under rating the importance of a head coach, didn't you just kind of answer your own question? That IS why a coach can get thrown out and it's sometimes a positive. The team can sometimes rally from an emotional standpoint, and an assistant can fill in for the rest of the game.

When Dirk got thrown out the air was taken out of the entire arena. The players were stunned and lethargic and immediately gave up what lead they had left. They were fortunate that Kidd turned it on late and Roddy provided a spark to pull the game out.

Quote:
EVERYBODY complains about calls to the refs- bark whine whatever you want to call it. why suddenly so genteel? this isn't playground ball. advocating for oneself IS pushing back.
I'm not saying you can't make your case to the refs. I was an incessant whiner to the refs when I played basketball. But it's all in how you do it. Go have a word with the ref. Even bark at him for a missed call. Hell really make a statement and get your Tech. But once you get that Tech you better shut the hell up, because you can't get thrown out of a relatively important game that is still in question if you're one of the five best players on the planet.

And I'm not really railing on Dirk for this. It's a very, very rare occurrence for him. I'm just saying it's ridiculous to be angry at Carlisle for holding his star player accountable for a mistake.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 03-24-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #53
mac222b
Diamond Member

i could've provided a little more context for my thoughts. by grown man i mean it's a little condescending to scold Dirk. "letting the team down". please! after years of coddling J-Ho... Centers sitting out with stiffness in a tight playoff race and no other big on the roster... Dirk's one of the toughest guys in the league and plays through almost anything. he doesn't let the team down. and yes a good head coach is important(the play in the finals last year where Phil used Kobe as a decoy and Fischer hit the 3 over Jameer Nelson, who had no business being in the game, is illustrative). that's what i meant by it being a "game". sometimes making a bold unpredictable move has more value. Carlisle, relative to Dirk, is replaceable. doesn't mean i think he is unimportant.. but Carlisle should ALWAYS have Dirk's back. period. last season Garnett got thrown out against us(for good reason) and it spurred the Celtics to come back and beat us. it can work both ways as far as player and coach getting tossed. in light of the team's recent play and the continued grabbing of Dirk by opposing defenders maybe getting thrown out is bigger than last nights game in the grand scheme of "playing the game". like playing Roddy during crunch time of regular season games to get him ready for the playoffs. but Rick gets this wrong too. maybe he just has a "tin ear". sorry to rant. always been a big supporter of RC- im just starting to sour on the guy

Last edited by mac222b; 03-24-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #54
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Kidd - Roddy play was the #1 play last night

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to.../?cid=nba.2013
Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #55
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...tim&id=5023260

It was a classic case of Kidd taking over to change the course of a game.

"What more can you say about Jason Kidd?" coach Rick Carlisle said. "He again, I thought, willed the team with just his energy, his enthusiasm."

WOW are u serious Carlisle??
I understand Kidd Stepped Up But It Was When RODDY B came in to the game!
If Roddy B didnt come in im not sure if we woulda won this game!
i seriously think carlisle hates roddy now! Gives Roddy No Credit at all.
Carlisle's a Joke.
The game changing run was at the beginning of the 4th quarter. In the first 5:21 of the quarter, the Mavs went from down 1 to up 18. Kidd had 13 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists in that duration. No other player had that big an impact. Roddy played well in that run but so did Haywood and Terry. Also, why focus on that one quote from Carlisle? He has said good things about the rookie in the past. Not sure where this "Carlisle hates Roddy" stuff is coming from.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-24-2010 at 05:41 PM.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #56
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
Also, why focus on that one quote from Carlisle? He has said good things about the rookie in the past. Not sure where this "Carlisle hates Roddy" stuff is coming from.
It's funny how folks act like Carlisle is the first coach to give a rookie short shrift on his PT.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #57
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Thig, the thing is, like I said, the manner in which Dirk was thrown out was ABSURD! Of course Dirk should know he can't get tossed, but I'm sure he had NO clue or intention of it happening. The man argued a call. Kobe, Melo, LBJ do the same thing and they don't even get ONE T, let alone tossed. It is RC's job to at least disagree with the BS and unprofessional way in which Bill Kennedy acted. Honestly, Kennedy should be fined (and he has before) for the way he acted. RC doesn't even mention how absurd the ejection was, and that, to me, is unacceptable.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #58
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

That alley oop at the beginning of the 4th was a thing of beauty
:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygNMcsCWRs

i) Kidd dribble hand-off to Roddy on the left-side, ii) Roddy has the ball and stays on the left side iii) Kidd uses a Butler screen on the left to get get some separation from his defender iv) Kidd curls back and uses a Terry backscreen on the other side to come to the right v) Roddy passes the ball to Kidd and runs to the basket using Butler screen on the left, vi) the actual "alley oop" pass and throwdown happens.

What makes it so impressive is that Gooden sort of figured it out but was just a bit late and it was enough for Roddy to catch and finish.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-24-2010 at 06:43 PM.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #59
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Mac, I can't give you rep. But I agree with everything you have said on this page.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #60
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Good post man, rep to you.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #61
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
Gooden was beasting, I really hope we bring him back this offseason. I have a feeling he wants to be back.
Quote:
Gooden still a fan of the Mavs

If Drew Gooden had his way, he'd still be playing for the Mavericks. And he said this morning he hopes the door is open for a possible return this summer.

Gooden and the Los Angeles Clippers will be at American Airlines Center tonight to face the Mavericks. It will be good to see old friends. But Gooden said he will have a tough time not thinking at least a little about what might have been.

"Of course,'' Gooden said after the Clips' morning shootaround. "I started here and committed myself to this team and sacrificed for this team and I had a goal. I wanted to finish it out. But sometimes in this league, it doesn't happen. Would I like to be back in a Mavs' uniform and finish off the season's goals? Of course. But it didn't work out that way.''

In Gooden's career, it has rarely worked out the way he planned. He has been employed by nine teams, averaging more than one team per year in his eight seasons. And almost never has his exit been because of lack of production.

"I think it's the business of basketball,'' he said. "Having an expiring contract, especially with the new collective bargaining agreement coming up, is big. Teams always have a want for me. My name's always thrown in there.

"I've never really been locked into a long-term deal. You got guys making a certain amount of money that teams don't really want to pay. But with me, given my production with that price tag, why wouldn't you?

Gooden admits he's become a little jaded with the constant moving around.

"I am that way now,'' he said. "It makes you a little cold-blooded, especially the situation I've been in. I've put my trust in teams and sacrificed and I've always wanted to be a winner. I've never understood why teams get rid of guys who really want to be a winner. But it's about numbers. I talked to coach (Rick) Carlisle. He keeps in contact with me. He brought me in here and he was a big part of why I came here. I learned a lot from him.''

And, Gooden added, he would be willing to learn more.

"Yeah, if something happens this summer,'' he said of returning to the Mavericks. "If the stars and moon line up right, of course. I love the city and my teammates. I was comfortable here.

"This isn't the first time it's happened to me. I didn't want to leave, but it was something that made the team better.''

--Eddie Sefko
Gooden was saying a lot of nice things prior to the game. Man, I guess nobody expected the Wizards to trade him or the Clippers to hold on to him, so we're left with Eddy N. as Dirk's back up in the small ball line-up and Gooden is stuck on the 09/10 Clippers. Argh.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #62
DallasMavs_41

DallasMavs_41 is on a distinguished road

How bout Roddy's alley oop??????
DallasMavs_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #63
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4qIc3tvMuM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygNMcsCWRs

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #64
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool Gooden article. Because this is Dallas afterall.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #65
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Stein wrote one for espn, offering more Gooden quotes and Dirk's take on the matter:

Gooden: I miss Dallas ... but that's the biz
some quotes from that article:
Quote:
"It wasn't as easy it was last year for me with Sacramento," Gooden said, recalling how the Kings quickly bought out his contract after acquiring Gooden from Chicago at the deadline, enabling Gooden to sign with San Antonio for the stretch run.

"I think everybody knew that once I got a buyout that I would want to go back to Dallas and help [the Mavs] out even more. I think there [were] teams that didn't want Dallas to have their cake and eat it, too.

"I miss Dallas. I miss those guys over there. I committed myself to this team and left something on the table that was unfinished business for me. But that's the business."

The solace for Gooden is that his play with the Clippers isn't exactly discouraging the Mavs -- or prospective team No. 10 -- from keeping the 28-year-old in their offseason thoughts. Gooden is averaging a healthy 14.7 points and 9.7 rebounds in 16 games with the Clippers, which would represent the highest averages of his career in both categories if sustained for a full season.

"I've got to make sure I don't take for granted the opportunity I have now," Gooden said. "Even though, let's face it, we're not going to be a playoff team this year, I'm getting an opportunity to play and I'm going to do well.

"I do feel like I'm playing my best [basketball]. Maybe I don't jump as high as I used to, but my mental game is so much stronger than when I first got into the league. Even though I've been on a lot of teams, playing a lot of different roles, I've gotten better within those roles."

Asked if the Mavs miss Gooden's contributions off the bench, Dirk Nowitzki said: "Hell, yeah."

Last edited by mavErika; 03-25-2010 at 11:52 AM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #66
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
That alley oop at the beginning of the 4th was a thing of beauty
:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygNMcsCWRs

i) Kidd dribble hand-off to Roddy on the left-side, ii) Roddy has the ball and stays on the left side iii) Kidd uses a Butler screen on the left to get get some separation from his defender iv) Kidd curls back and uses a Terry backscreen on the other side to come to the right v) Roddy passes the ball to Kidd and runs to the basket using Butler screen on the left, vi) the actual "alley oop" pass and throwdown happens.

What makes it so impressive is that Gooden sort of figured it out but was just a bit late and it was enough for Roddy to catch and finish.
Lots of ball movement, nice to see, it eventually frees something up.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 AM   #67
tony320

tony320 is on a distinguished road

I just got done doing the insanity workout by Shaun T and all I can say is, he is insanity workout schedule! I do not know how they can expect people to actually follow that guy! He is in a league of his own, but don't get me wrong, I loved that workout. The insanity workout forces you to move and move every ounce of muscle on your body.
Of course I turned to my trusty Bettina shades for the marble. I actually had a lot of fun working on these because I intentionally wanted the patterns to be random on each essie nail polish.

Last edited by tony320; 12-27-2013 at 09:28 AM.
tony320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #68
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony320 View Post
Dallas Mavericks center Brendan Haywood didn't seem happy about coming off the bench against the Los Angeles Clippers
Then he should play better.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #69
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
Gooden was saying a lot of nice things prior to the game. Man, I guess nobody expected the Wizards to trade him or the Clippers to hold on to him, so we're left with Eddy N. as Dirk's back up in the small ball line-up and Gooden is stuck on the 09/10 Clippers. Argh.
Najera makes Gooden look like Tim Duncan.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #70
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Najera makes Gooden look like Tim Duncan.
Man, I wish TT was still with us. The guy could score and defend. Basically, all we need at the backup 4 for just a few minutes while Dirk gets his rest. And we already know he's a clutch player. Well, hopefully he's back next season.