Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #41
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Bares strained calf. Out "a while"

Deron no new injury but got "stiff" and is day-to-day
Im just glad its not achilles. Career is done if that was the case
Old 11-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #42
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Bryan Wilson, we need more young promising talent than just him though. They've definitely moved in the right direction by signing him even though I feel like he is overpaid. I prefer him over the other guy we replaced at least.
OVERPAID? BASED ON WHAT
Old 11-16-2016, 11:38 PM   #43
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
OVERPAID? BASED ON WHAT
I am not going to respond to a person who is shouting at me.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #44
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
No one since 06-08 era outside of Dirk has done anything compared to what Barnes is doing right now. Deny and ignore all you want
Old 11-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #45
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bryan Wilson, we need more young promising talent than just him though. They've definitely moved in the right direction by signing him even though I feel like he is overpaid. I prefer him over the other guy we replaced at least.
If Barnes continues to score 23-25ppg efficiently with a cast of misfits around him and play good defense then I don't know how you can say he's overpaid in today's NBA.

I also think you are overvaluing how free agents view young promising talent. We could draft in the top 5 for 3 straight years and it wouldn't help us land a star caliber free agent if we were not winning. Look at the teams with young talent who are not winning, no free agents are joining them.

And since most picks that high are 19yr olds, it's not going to be anything close to a guarantee that they can help elevate a team to playoff caliber. Look at the guys drafted this year, not one of them is elevating his team. I'm all for getting a great pick this year because the draft could be the best in a decade. But talking about tanking for multiple years just seems counterproductive when we already have a young player like Barnes. Tanking for multiple years effectively wastes Barnes youth and the players we draft may not even be as good as Barnes. After all, Barnes himself was a top 8 pick. That's how you get to be one of those teams drafting in the lotto for a decade.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 AM   #46
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Response detected.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #47
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Im just glad its not achilles. Career is done if that was the case
Yep, it would have been over for him right then and there, basically. Glad it turned out to be the calf muscle.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:08 AM   #48
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

It's way too early to evaluate Barnes' contract, but based on the level of play so far, it is not a bad contract. He plays like an excellent second option, and these days that worth around 20 mill.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #49
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Dammit!!!!

Quote:
“There’s no real secret. We’re just going through some adversity right now,” leading scorer Harrison Barnes admitted after posting a team-high 28 points on 12-of-24 shooting in Wednesday’s loss. “I think we caught a little bit of a break with J.J. You know, he thought it was his Achilles on the court, and then we found out it was his calf, so that’s good. But we’ve just got to keep fighting. I mean, we’re putting ourselves in position to win. … We’ve just got to be better in that situation, but we didn’t have a great first half. We battled back, we got right there, and we had a great opportunity to win. So, coming back home against Memphis, it’s a must-win game.”

Forced to leave TD Garden in a walking boot, Barea admits that he was pleased to learn that the injury wasn’t to his Achilles. However, with his team in need of every healthy body available, the 10-year veteran couldn’t deny his disappointment after learning that he’ll be forced to miss time.

Barea has filled up the stat sheet during the early stage of his 11th season, averaging 16.3 points, 3.4 rebounds and 5.4 assists a game. He’ll now try to rehab his way back onto the court in time to assist in an early-season turnaround. That said, Barea admits that he will face an uphill battle in order to return to the court in the near future.

“It was awful. I never felt that before playing in my basketball career,” Barea said of the injury. “I thought it was the Achilles. The little bit of good news is it’s the calf. Hopefully I don’t need surgery or anything, but we’ve just got to wait. I never felt that feeling before, so hopefully it’s not that bad.

“You know, it’s been a tough start and frustrating,” he added. “You know, I was playing good. I know I was playing a lot, but I was playing good. I was helping the team out, and (Wednesday) we finally got in a rhythm there at the end and I go down. So, yeah, we’re going to do a good job of staying together. We’ve got a good coaching staff and good players, so we’re going to stay together, try to fight this out and get back strong."
https://www.mavs.com/despite-piling-...=Inside_Report
Old 11-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #50
walter

walter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nice

‏@ShamsCharania
Down to Seth Curry at point guard, Mavs are waiving forward Quincy Acy and signing guard Jonathan Gibson, league sources tell The Vertical.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...48170346102786

EDIT: How do you embed tweets on this site?

Last edited by walter; 11-17-2016 at 04:26 PM.
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #51
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
‏@ShamsCharania
Down to Seth Curry at point guard, Mavs are waiving forward Quincy Acy and signing guard Jonathan Gibson, league sources tell The Vertical.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...48170346102786

EDIT: How do you embed tweets on this site?
Wow. Probably a good call, but weird that we waived Gibson to keep Acy. Then we waived Acy to get Gibson.

Still nowhere near an NBA-backcourt, but Curry/Gibson is better than relying on only Curry to play 48 min.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-17-2016 at 04:33 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Gibson can get to the rim, and it's smart to keep the youth going.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I recall saying we didn't need Gibson because we had way too many guards in the roster... Well, here we are.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #54
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Funny, I recall saying we didn't need Gibson because we had way too many guards in the roster... Well, here we are.
Injuries suck. You could make a good argument as to why Deron or Harris weren't the ones to get the axe. Harris is guaranteed next season, so I guess not him. I think they'd be doing Deron a favor by letting him join a better team.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #55
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Didn't we go through a similar situation last season when we had 4 PGs....DWill/Barea/Harris/Felton?

With Harris and DWill on the roster we should probably always carry at least 5 players who are capable of playing the point. Last year Parsons was basically that 5th guy and maybe Barnes will be the guy this year....hell he does everything else for this team so why not?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #56
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

JJB told the local media that he will be out for at least month and a half... dammit!!!!

Quote:
Carlos Rosa ‏@crosarosa 16 minutes ago
OFICIAL: José Juan Barea reveló a @ElNuevoDia que perderá un mes y medio de acción con Dallas por lesión en la pierna izquierda.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #57
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
JJB told the local media that he will be out for at least month and a half... dammit!!!!

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-17-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #58
Melonhead
Guru

So jan 2017 the return of JJ
Old 11-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #59
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Mavs have pissed on a few key drafts like the Shan Larkin one which is now infamous with all the talent in the mid first round that we coulda had. It is what it is.

You can bet they won't piss on this upcoming one though. Anyone in the top ten (providing they all enter their names in) could be a star, and I'm not just saying that lightly.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:04 AM   #60
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

That smirky otter ain't ever lied. This could be a blessing in disguise. If we lose to the Grizzlies, then we travel to Orlando on a b2b, which could be another loss. Then we have three surefire losses coming up against the Spurs, Clippers and Cavs. We could be looking at a 2-14 record, and being the worst team in the league. If that wouldn't hit the message home, nothing would. At best, I think we are looking at 3-13, well out of the playoff picture. I realize this may seem like loser talk to some of you guys, but that would actually be winning in my opinion. Looking at the team's future that is.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:31 AM   #61
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
That smirky otter ain't ever lied. This could be a blessing in disguise. If we lose to the Grizzlies, then we travel to Orlando on a b2b, which could be another loss. Then we have three surefire losses coming up against the Spurs, Clippers and Cavs. We could be looking at a 2-14 record, and being the worst team in the league. If that wouldn't hit the message home, nothing would. At best, I think we are looking at 3-13, well out of the playoff picture. I realize this may seem like loser talk to some of you guys, but that would actually be winning in my opinion. Looking at the team's future that is.
I certainly don't advocate a tanking/losing strategy but I do think we should become sellers soon and begin the process of trying to win primarily with youth.
I get the whole respect for Dirk thing but this is beyond any short term repair and I'm afraid the current strategy will yield us another vet or two at the expense of one or more of our draft picks.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-18-2016 at 06:36 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #62
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I think Vegas had us at 38 wins - I'm beginning to wonder...
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #63
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

It sucks for the team, but even more for JJ. He's in a contract year and has put up huge numbers so far.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #64
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
It sucks for the team, but even more for JJ. He's in a contract year and has put up huge numbers so far.
Barea is in the second year of his new four-year deal. He's still under contract for two more seasons after this one and has been an absolute bargain. Dude is earning 4.1 million to put up 17-5-3.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2015/7/...net-is-baffled
Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #65
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Barea is in the second year of his new four-year deal. He's still under contract for two more seasons after this one and has been an absolute bargain. Dude is earning 4.1 million to put up 17-5-3.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2015/7/...net-is-baffled
Wow those tweets... the MLE now is like a hair under 4m a year and 2 year max? And at the time of that signing it was a hair under 3m? So all we did was pay JJ a little more up front, when we needed to spend money somewhere... to get 4 years instead of just 2 out of him and he's now being paid the amount of the MLE essentially... and by next year's increase he's going to be making less than the MLE, just in time for when the old contract would have ran out... And they called THAT... the worst contract? How do they even have twitter followers?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #66
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Wow those tweets... the MLE now is like a hair under 4m a year and 2 year max? And at the time of that signing it was a hair under 3m? So all we did was pay JJ a little more up front, when we needed to spend money somewhere... to get 4 years instead of just 2 out of him and he's now being paid the amount of the MLE essentially... and by next year's increase he's going to be making less than the MLE, just in time for when the old contract would have ran out... And they called THAT... the worst contract? How do they even have twitter followers?
Because Twitter is a Mecca for idiots; a race to the bottom to see who can get the most popular by saying the dumbest shit possible.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #67
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Just a comparison:

Mozgov is getting 16million (18% of cap) for 9pts, 5reb
Barea is getting 4million (4.4% of cap) for 16pts, 5ast, 3reb
Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #68
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Because Twitter is a Mecca for idiots; a race to the bottom to see who can get the most popular by saying the dumbest shit possible.

You know... you may be onto something here.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #69
Underdog

@espn_macmahon: J.J. Barea expects to test his strained calf with full-court action Sunday and return to games next week. "It's feeling better every day," he said. "I had a good workout with today."

Old 01-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #70
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Dwain Price: #Mavs PG Deron Williams (sprained left great toe) said he’s “pretty sore” and doesn’t know when he’ll be able to play again.
– via Twitter DwainPrice
I thought he hurt his ankle when he went down the other day? Man, I wish we could trade him for something of value. He's been playing well, but he's always getting hurt. He's as soft as a bag of marshmallows.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote