Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #41
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default RE:Who plays online poker?

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Anybody ever play a double-flop Holdem tourney? It sounds intriguing to me...
I have no idea how that would work, chum. I did play in a HORSE tournament for the first time ever last Thursday. It was an experience. I did okay when ever the game was Hold'em, Omaha or Razz, but got reamed at the Stud games.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #42
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Who plays online poker?

Never heard of the HORSE tournament. Interesting.

In a double flop tourney, there are two separate flops. The game plays the same in terms of betting, but the pot is split to the winners of each flop. Of course, you would love to scoop both flops. So it plays a lot like a hi-lo split game. The intriguing thing is how your outs might change based on the additional cards you can see. I've yet to play in one or even see one played. (I just talked to a buddy about the one he played in Biloxi.) I'm interested, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #43
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Quote:
Anybody ever play a double-flop Holdem tourney? It sounds intriguing to me...
I have no idea how that would work, chum. I did play in a HORSE tournament for the first time ever last Thursday. It was an experience. I did okay when ever the game was Hold'em, Omaha or Razz, but got reamed at the Stud games.

Ok, that would freaking rule. Where'd you play that?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #44
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

It was on Full Tilt Poker, it was a private game offered by the message board I go to. There is another one on Friday, if you're interested and play on FTP, I supposed I could PM you the password.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #45
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to play Full Tilt but I cashed out from there a few months ago.

Thanks for the offer though. I'll have to keep my eyes open for more of those.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #46
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
I also started this thread for a little bragging/self-promotion.

okay, horn tooting time.

finished 3rd in the 10pm 30+3 nl tourney at ub last night (400 people). was very pumped, couldn't sleep afterwards, my biggest pull ever.

highlights and lowlights - hit a really cold run of cards with about 40 people left that dropped me from 4th to about 20th, but got on a little run that brought be back to the top ten, highlighted by eliminating two shorter stacks w/QQ otb vs. AKo in the bb (decent stack) and A3s (very short stack) in bb +4 that bumped me from 14th to 7th with about 25 left.

they say if you make a final table, you probably got pretty lucky somewhere along the way. mine was early...really early. 8th hand in, got the old limp-reraise from utg when i had AKo otb and raised 2x pot, he came back over me for another 150. called his reraise and caught K84 flop (3 suited), he bet 200, i rsd about 500 more, he came back over me allin. i thought "ohhhh crap", but already had half my stack in with top pair, top kicker, so off i went. he had AA. i caught 3rd king on river.

last hand kinda sucked though. i was in 3rd with about 85000, one had 150000, the other had about 350000. blinds were 8K and 16K, so i went allin preflop w/88, got called by JTo by the big stack. thought i had doubled up until he finished a straight with Q on the river. would have been in pretty good shape to fight it out with the other two stacks if i had pulled that one, but i was too happy at my take to worry about it.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Great job. Congrats! How much did it pay? A couple thousand?

Anybody playing sit-n-go's at Party? I just got started playing them a couple weeks ago, and I'm enjoying it so far...
Old 05-23-2005, 08:44 AM   #48
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

my pull? $1260. definitely helps the bankroll, especially since i got my arse kicked two weekends ago over at fulltilt. no matter what i played, sng's, tables, tourneys, i got killed. bad beats, outdraws, dead draws. i was calling with the second best hand all weekend. heck, i even lost a huge hand with the arse end of a straight flush against the top end. talk about a capping frenzy. i was giving $$ away at an alarming rate. i quit playing for a few days to get my head right with ball. i think it helped because i've been doing better since. then saturday. wow. i'm still pumped.

also played my first live tourney at the local poker room here in jax. they run 3 table tourneys all day monday and thursday and a 15 table tourney on sunday afternoon ($45 buy in). finished out of the $$ (10th out of 30) on thursday. didn't realize how nervous i'd be. found out that flopping a set of fours and moving allin will bring out the shaky hands. gotta work on that.

i don't play at party anymore. i started there many moons ago but liked ub much better. went back earlier this year when they gave me 50 free dollars to play with. took no time to siphon that off. i think my account over there has four bucks in it.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #49
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

has anyone tried the steps and mini-steps tournament?

my brother took 2nd in a steps tournament and cashed out for $1000. He bought into the Mini-Step 1 for $5+1 and rolled on through the next five levels. he eventually lost in mini step 5 when he went all in with A9 and the chip leader called with J10.

he told me about it, i thought "hey, what the hizzle" and put $50 back into my party account.

i bought into the mini step 1 and took 2nd place which gave me a rebuy. the next try i took 1st. that gave me entry into mini step 2. took 1st in mini step 2 and have gained entry to mini step 3. i'll keep this updated. wish me luck!
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #50
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe in luck...but I do hope that all goes well, Aex! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #51
chumdawg
Guru

Good job, AEX. Keep me updated. I haven't tried those steps, and really don't even know much about them. What's the buyin on the "mini" steps? Ten or twenty bucks? Or are there several levels, like the regular SNG's?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #52
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Good job, AEX. Keep me updated. I haven't tried those steps, and really don't even know much about them. What's the buyin on the "mini" steps? Ten or twenty bucks? Or are there several levels, like the regular SNG's?
if you buy into mini step 1, the total cost is only $6. in order to win a free roll into the next level, you have to place at a certain level in order to advance. i think the total cost for mini step 2 is $22, and mini step 3 is $55, etc.

well i got knocked out of mini step 3 in 6th place. was 2nd in chips and picked up KK in the BB. I think blinds were 25/50 at this point. I have ~ 2200 chips. SB raises to 175 and has about ~ 1500 chips behind him. I reraised to 400 and half expect him to fold. he pushes all in and i call. he has pocket 8's and i feel good.

well of course with my luck, he spikes his 2 outer on the river and i get knocked into the bottom. at this point i have about ~ 500 chips left. i pick up a few blinds here and there and its folded around to me with the blinds at 75/150. i push with K6 suited to a passive player who folds everytime and he calls with QQ. doh. I get no help and am knocked out.

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #53
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently the chip leader in a tournament that pays 2448 to the winner(buyin was $26) There are still 87 people in but i should definitely cash in this tourney. have a 12000(44000-32000) chip lead on second place person. started with 408 people. anyone else still play online?

Last edited by Five-ofan; 12-06-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #54
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job man... Let us know how it goes!

I sure do!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #55
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

still the chip leader down to 77 people left. 45 people cash

Last edited by Five-ofan; 12-06-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #56
chumdawg
Guru

Good luck! Buy us something nice with your winnings.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #57
Five-ofan
Guru

this will be most of the down payment on my new truck im buying if i win.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #58
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I still play a little, at the micro tables.

I haven't been able to work my small buy in back up after cashing out most of my cash a few years ago.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #59
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well stop coming in here and focus on your table man!

And don't but heads with any of the bigger chip stacks until you're satisfied with your payout. And don't fall in love with AK late in a tournament.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #60
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco

And don't but heads with any of the bigger chip stacks until you're satisfied with your payout. And don't fall in love with AK late in a tournament.
ive tightened up alot since i got my chips. just leaning on people every now and then to keep chipping up slowly but surely. and i can still see the poker screen when im here. 61 left im still first but theres 3 of us who are a good bit out in front of everyone else.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #61
Five-ofan
Guru

just won a big pot to put some distance between myself and the other 2 big guns(they are at different tables anyway) and im off to focus solely on the tourney from here on out. good day to all.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #62
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I can agree with every bit of that.

Love of AK kills so many people.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #63
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
just won a big pot to put some distance between myself and the other 2 big guns(they are at different tables anyway) and im off to focus solely on the tourney from here on out. good day to all.
Well you can probably just auto-fold into a final table situation. Be smart.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #64
Five-ofan
Guru

actually what im being most careful of are low suited hands. Those get you in the most trouble because you can hit your flush and still be beat.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #65
mnmpeanut

good luck five o.

i still play some online. mostly sit n go's on ub. cashed out most of my online bankroll and play in a local poker room here in jax a couple times a month.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #66
Five-ofan
Guru

crap crap crap. just lost 15k chips. had a j and flop was a 3 6 turn jack. he had pocket jacks. still fairly high up there and still will cash but need to do some work now.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #67
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I miss local poker rooms. I'm still on some mailing list that gets me emails from a few. But I hear raid stories, and the names keep changing on my emails, which makes me assume they keep moving. I'm not real interested in that.

Winstar is only an hour up the road though, and that new room of theirs is really, really nice.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #68
Five-ofan
Guru

the most bullshit beat ive ever been a part of. Was going to DOUBLE UP for a monstrous chip lead(ie have more than 2nd and 3rd combined) with kings full of jacks and he had a straight with a royal flush draw. He hit the king of hearts which gave him the royal flush and me 4 kings(we were already all in). I quit. im never playing internet poker again.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #69
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. That is a bad beat. Royal flush....How many of those do you see in your entire life?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #70
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Depends on what and where you play.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #71
mnmpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I miss local poker rooms. I'm still on some mailing list that gets me emails from a few. But I hear raid stories, and the names keep changing on my emails, which makes me assume they keep moving. I'm not real interested in that.

Winstar is only an hour up the road though, and that new room of theirs is really, really nice.

here in florida, poker is legal with some (absurd) betting restrictions ($5 max bet on limit games, no limit with $100 buy in, tourney buy-ins limited to $800), so i go to local room housed at an old greyhound track. lots of fish and retirees looking to blow their retirement. i usually just play 2-4 limit hold 'em, 2-4 limit omaha 8/b and the occasional tourney. the bad beats in the nl games drove me back to limit. when you bump a $2 bb to 18 preflop and get 6 callers, you're aces are for crap. you just can't get anyone out of a pot, which is great if its one or two guys per table, but when 6-7 people play that way at every table, its no better than a 1-2 game.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #72
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut
here in florida, poker is legal with some (absurd) betting restrictions ($5 max bet on limit games, no limit with $100 buy in, tourney buy-ins limited to $800), so i go to local room housed at an old greyhound track. lots of fish and retirees looking to blow their retirement. i usually just play 2-4 limit hold 'em, 2-4 limit omaha 8/b and the occasional tourney. the bad beats in the nl games drove me back to limit. when you bump a $2 bb to 18 preflop and get 6 callers, you're aces are for crap. you just can't get anyone out of a pot, which is great if its one or two guys per table, but when 6-7 people play that way at every table, its no better than a 1-2 game.
Are those restrictions actually tracked and regulated? Or is it kind of like Texas, where running a poker room isn't real hard unless you start to really be loud about it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #73
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

What is the law in TX thig? I guess I always thought that as long as there was no rake being taken by any sort of "house" that it was ok to have a game going, right? I used to go to regular games here and there, but was only ever worried about the ones that took a rake.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #74
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
What is the law in TX thig? I guess I always thought that as long as there was no rake being taken by any sort of "house" that it was ok to have a game going, right? I used to go to regular games here and there, but was only ever worried about the ones that took a rake.
As long as no one but the players are profiting from the game, it's legal. So no rake, no paid dealers, no renting tables or the facilities, etc.

The "local poker rooms" I was referring to were actual poker rooms. With paid dealers and a rake. Those are illegal, but pretty easy to find these days, although the ones that are easy to find are at a risk of being raided.

I used to play at one in Carrolton every so often a few years back. It's moved like 5 times since then.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-06-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #75
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah I only ever went to one of those rooms once, and didn't care for the atmosphere. I always preferred friendlier games. Tournament style.....10 dollar buy in. Stuff like that. I sucked at it totally, but thought it was fun.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #76
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I only ever went to one of those rooms once, and didn't care for the atmosphere. I always preferred friendlier games. Tournament style.....10 dollar buy in. Stuff like that. I sucked at it totally, but thought it was fun.
I generally only went when they were running a tourney I was interested in. The one I went to would give you extra tourney chips if you played for a couple hours at their cash tables before the tourney, so I would do that when they offered it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #77
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

be a bully and push everyone off the damn table. it's only 2grand, finish the tournament.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #78
mnmpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Are those restrictions actually tracked and regulated? Or is it kind of like Texas, where running a poker room isn't real hard unless you start to really be loud about it.

ya, these are legal rooms with a rake and paid dealers. they have state officials in all the time checking on things. i live almost exactly 45 minutes (in the opposite direction) from two different rooms. the one i frequent is a pretty decent size (about 45 tables) and has a sportsbook upstairs for horse and dog racing. the other is smaller (about 20 tables) and is at a jai-alai fronton.

http://www.jaxpokerroom.com/HOME.ASP