Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #41
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i live in nashville and had never heard about the link between mcnair and young. but it's been in the papers all week. that would be a great situation, for young to learn from mcnair for a season or so (if the titans work out mcnair's contract).
What about Billy Volek? He said, before the season, that he only wanted to play one more year as a backup.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #42
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

We need to go for playmaker on offense in this year's draft. Then in the second round I probably look at the o-lineman. If there's a playmaker there that has slipped I take him over a lineman. As stated above, Parcells has problem drafing offensive lineman. Hell, you could argue he has problems drafting period. He passed up Merriman and the year before he passed up Stephen Jackson. Its going to take more than a season to determine how good the draft was last year but the '05 draft isn't looking too good. Neither is the '04 draft.

If Vince is going to enter the draft this year its going to be interesting to see how everyones drafted. I could see the Texans possibly trading down and still getting Bush. But its clear the Texans problem is their offensive line. Dominque Davis isn't a bad running back. Even if the decided to go with Young he'd have problems playing behind that o-line. Its not like David Carr is Bledsoe in the pocket. He can scramble well himself. If i'm the Texans though i'd go after Young. Hometown boy and the endorsements are going to rain in for him similiar to what occurred with Lebron. And I honestly think he's just as good of a quarterback as Leinhart as far as passing goes. Its clear Young is the better scrambler. This is going to be an interesting draft. I don't think its clear who'd go before who when it concerns Young and Leinhart.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The '05 draft isn't looking too good?

Ware and Spears both look to be ten-year guys in the league.

Burnett, probably almost the same.

Barber, he can play a little bit.

Canty, a steal among steals.

Berry-o was hurt in training camp, but you remember him lighting it up in preseason. He'll play.

Petitti only started 16 games.

Ratliff made the team as a seventh-rounder, which is pretty remarkable. Keep an eye on him.

This is not to mention Tyson Thompson, who ran back just about every kickoff, and Pepper Johnson, who hung around on the roster. I know I am probably missing some other free agents, but damn, man, every single draft choice made the roster. How many teams can say that?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:15 AM   #44
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i just don't see volek as a starter. at least not in nashville. i like the guy, and he has a good arm (certainly better than mcnair at this point), but mcnair brings more intangibles to the table. now, mcnair would probably be more expensive, so from a financial standpoint, i'd go with volek... but if re-signing mcnair means we have a good situation if vince comes out and the titans draft him, that's the way to go.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:24 AM   #45
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
The '05 draft isn't looking too good?

Ware and Spears both look to be ten-year guys in the league.

Burnett, probably almost the same.

Barber, he can play a little bit.

Canty, a steal among steals.

Berry-o was hurt in training camp, but you remember him lighting it up in preseason. He'll play.

Petitti only started 16 games.

Ratliff made the team as a seventh-rounder, which is pretty remarkable. Keep an eye on him.

This is not to mention Tyson Thompson, who ran back just about every kickoff, and Pepper Johnson, who hung around on the roster. I know I am probably missing some other free agents, but damn, man, every single draft choice made the roster. How many teams can say that?
We do this every year Chum. Ever since the year we drafted Roy Williams. The year after we drafted Bryant, Gurode, Derek Ross, Jamar Martin, Roy, Randall Will etc. we all sat here and said damn good draft. I said it myself. Where are these guys now? Gurode looks to be a reserve for the rest of his career and everyone else outside of Roy Williams is gone. I liked the '05 draft. Though we passed up Merriman I have no complaints of Ware who can be better or as good as Merriman is. Had a drop off mid-year but started and finished the year strong. But will I feel the same way I do about the '05 draft after next season? Same story just different year IMO.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The '05 draft looks great.... I see no reason to question this draft.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #47
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Its impossible to see how a good a draft is after one season is what i'm saying. Every draft that Big Bill has been a part of has looked great after one year. But where are they now? What do we have to show for the past 3 years he's been drafting? Terrence Newman? Roy Williams? Great players but you will go nowhere if all you can get is 2 starters out of 3 years of draft picks.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #48
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bill's 1st draft:
Newman - Pro Bowl caliber corner
Johnson - disappointment but I'm not sure it's not because of the micro-fracture surgery
Whitten - Pro Bowl TE
James - Very solid starter whose still getting better

Bill's 2nd draft:
Julius Jones - Not as sure as I was last year but the Carolina game gave me hope that he'll be a very good back
Marcus Spears - wasn't drafted here but this is where we acquired the pick
Drew Henson - may not work out but I can't question the decision to try to get a QB with pedigree with a 3rd rounder

You can criticize this draft because we spent two day one pick on O-linemen and neither of them could contribute this year.

You’re right, it's too early to make a call on this years draft but most of the guys we drafted have already proven that they can contribute...if a couple can become stars (I don't think Ware is far away) this this can be the draft that returns us to prominence.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #49
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Yea that's right. Bill's first year drafting was the T-Newman draft. Should I be frustrated that we passed up Leftwich for Terrence Newman lol? But yea I do agree with Ware. He's the only guy that I can say will be a great player for years to come. This guy had a breakdown in the middle of the season and still managed to put up great numbers. I won't even knock Bill for passing up Merriman for him. He could've gone either way. The jurys still out on Julius. He was one of those guys who had a promising first year and now we have to question is he even our best running back. There's a trend going on here where our drafted players come in and contribute than the next season dissapear. I guess Bill just doesn't connect with all players. He was dead on with Whitten. Maybe our best player on offense. Definately our most reliable. Give us another Whitten on offense Bill. A running back, wide reciever, full back, qb whoever. We're just 1 playmaker on offense away from being a contender and the way this team is built that playmaker can come in at any position.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #50
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
We're just 1 playmaker on offense away from being a contender and the way this team is built that playmaker can come in at any position.
I think that playmakers name is Vince Young :P...make it happen Parcels. Vince could play receiver his first year, as well as back qb. Than the next year he could take over as QB. That would work out pretty well IMO, since Vince looks like a scouts dream when it comes to a receivers size and speed.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #51
dirno2000
Diamond Member

It might have been feesible last year when we had 12 and 20. To get a team to drop from 3 to 18 you're going to have to overpay...think Ditka giving up his entire draft.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #52
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

If you were Jerry would you think about giving up your whole draft for VY? If you believe Vince can be your starting qb for the next decade you have to do it.

Oh and I think Vince will not drop past the 2nd pick since I doubt N.O. would pass on him.

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 01-08-2006 at 10:04 PM.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #53
dirno2000
Diamond Member

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger VY fan but I wouldn't give up my entire draft for anybody. There's too much risk in the draft to bet the house on one player being a HOF'er

Last edited by dirno2000; 01-08-2006 at 10:29 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #54
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I might just be that bigger VY fan that you would be hard pressed to find but you cant give up your whole draft for any player.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote