Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 12:58 AM   #41
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

And we've been down this road more than once, I frankly have no interest in debating it again.

You throw out Kareem, but as I'll point out to you for probably the 5th time, Kareem is the exception, not the rule.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think insanely tall guys like KP don't have a frightening injury history.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-12-2021 at 01:00 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2021, 01:06 AM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Well what you actually said was that he was "easily top 10." I disagree with that, but I think we can all agree that he was really damn good.

But that sort of illustrates my point. If KP was the caliber of star that I think you need for a 2nd option on a championship team, then it wouldn't much matter what guys like THJ and JRich did. They'd be title contenders regardless. Maybe we're just quibbling over what a "star" is, but we'll agree that there are different levels of stardom, right? Lebron and AD just won a title with a bunch of average role players. That's the type of star duo you need to win a championship typically. Again, 2nd best players on title teams are usually perennial all-nba guys and hall-of-famers.

There are exceptions, sure, but they are the exceptions. If KP is the 2nd best player, then you're looking at something a lot closer to the 2011 Mavs, 2003 Spurs, 1993 and 1994 Rockets- meaning "carry jobs" where one transcendently amazing player more or less carries the team on his back.
I mean, is your only measuring stick Lebron and AD? Obviously, they are the favorites, but no other team in the west is a clear number 2. So we might not be as good as them, fine, but I like our chances otherwise.

I find past team comparisons pretty arbitrary with how the league has changed. And if the Mavs can play defense in a mostly defenseless league, then that would do wonders for our chances.

But honestly, the Heat proved that defense can at least get you pretty damn far. I guarantee that's who we're learning from with regards to this season. And that's smart. Going against the grain is a great risk IMO. Our record offense last season still only got us so far. That's why I'm not as enamored anymore with stars. Not only does it seem to be a lost cause in trying to acquire them, but why not try something else? Beal is a great offensive player, but we need, need, need to lock down the defense. I'm not willing to dump that chance just yet. We'll we where we are at come deadline.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #43
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Not to get this thread about Beal which is suddenly about KP off topic, but

Siakam appears to be in the block. Seems like a perfect 4 next to KP.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #44
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Who said anything about 1000 games???? You just pulled that out of thin air.
1000 games is the stat that Hollinger used to prove that 7'3" guys are injury prone

And if we've been down this road more than once and you don't want to debate it again, then quit bringing up a point that I've shot down

You've offered no evidence on this subject where I have done a lot of research on it
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:23 PM   #45
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Not to get this thread about Beal which is suddenly about KP off topic, but

Siakam appears to be in the block. Seems like a perfect 4 next to KP.
What do we have to offer though? JJ, Green, DFS, Maxi? They’ll want picks too probably. Someone can still probably beat that.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:17 AM   #46
FollowedKPtodallas

FollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really nice

The hate on KP is embarrassing. What did Dallas give up for him exactly. Dennis Smith junior (whos gonna out of the league in 2 years) and 2 late picks....ok hes not a generational big like AD, but who is? But his skill set for a man his size is exceptional. And perfectly fits the modern NBA

If Bradley Beal is so great how come Washington is so so bad? Empty stats ? Beal was ranked the WORST defensive guard in the league last year. How is that possible for a guy so young and so athletic? That's hard to do.
FollowedKPtodallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #47
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowedKPtodallas View Post
The hate on KP is embarrassing. What did Dallas give up for him exactly. Dennis Smith junior (whos gonna out of the league in 2 years) and 2 late picks....ok hes not a generational big like AD, but who is? But his skill set for a man his size is exceptional. And perfectly fits the modern NBA

If Bradley Beal is so great how come Washington is so so bad? Empty stats ? Beal was ranked the WORST defensive guard in the league last year. How is that possible for a guy so young and so athletic? That's hard to do.
Bradley Beal is in his 9th season. Washington is a black hole and no one is going to look good on defense OR make a glaring difference with individual effort.

The Wizards had the worst defensive rating in the league. One guy cant solve that. He was 490 out of 494 in defensive win shares on a team where you cant name more than 3 players on the roster. If youve watched the wizards this season, you would know hes not putting up empty stats.

This isnt a Beal vs KP thing for me because Mavs probably dont have what they want.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #48
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Beal only makes sense if your keeping KP and I'm pretty confident if they ask for him Cuban and Donnie would say no anyway.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #49
Sabitzer

Sabitzer is on a distinguished road

my stab at a proper nba star tier

unstoppable:
lebron james
luka doncic
anthony davis
stephon curry
damian lillard
james harden