Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #41
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Ive never seen Dirk so dejected and walking back to the bench with his head down. (when Tyus Jones hit the 3 to go up 14 with less than 3 left). I turned it off when I seen that.
He had a similar reaction last game when he was subbed out late in the game. You can tell he doesn't want to keep losing like this. Pending a big name acquisition it wouldn't surprise me if this was his last season.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
He had a similar reaction last game when he was subbed out late in the game. You can tell he doesn't want to keep losing like this. Pending a big name acquisition it wouldn't surprise me if this was his last season.
I honestly don't think that that would be the worst thing either as long as he comes back to coach or take spot next to Fin in the FO. Dude can still occasionally score, but his defense kills this team and the NBA has changed so much that he doesn't have a role in it anymore.

He's half the reason Barnes' growth has been stunted. Eventually Rick figured out that Barnes is best at PF and started playing Dirk at center, but with him at center we're getting outscored by 25 points per 100 possessions (vs. 16pp100 when he's at PF).

It just doesn't work to have him at center. We're still being outscored with him on the bench, but not nearly as badly (only outscored by 3.4 points per 100 possessions). There's a reason he's our worst +/- guy which is great for tanking this year and seeing him play that one last season, but I really hope he doesn't keep hurting the team next year when we go to a youth movement.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-10-2017 at 10:08 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #43
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I am fine with this season being Dirk's last. It really looks that way.
But I do believe that Barnes gains from playing with Dirk. On court, yes, he may be hurting Barnes' growth a little, but when it comes to training, at least someone is challenging Barnes and perhaps mentoring.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
I am fine with this season being Dirk's last. It really looks that way.
But I do believe that Barnes gains from playing with Dirk. On court, yes, he may be hurting Barnes' growth a little, but when it comes to training, at least someone is challenging Barnes and perhaps mentoring.
Totally agree. During games he doesn't do anything for us except get us more balls in the lottery. During practice, he sets a tone of hard work and devotion while challenging and teaching Barnes.

I really hope he comes back next year as a player coach. Either let him retire and sign him as a coach or refuse the team option and sign him for cheap after we look at free agency so he can be on the roster mentoring people. I'm not sure I'm ready to be without Dirk. I really hope he doesn't just ride off into the sunset.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-10-2017 at 12:23 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #45
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I honestly don't think that that would be the worst thing either as long as he comes back to coach or take spot next to Fin in the FO.
Well, this wont happen the next years...after he hangs it up he is going to nonstop travel with his family, using the time until the oldest hits "serious" school age.

he is not going to take a job that binds him to a place until then...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #46
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Keving Garnett's role with Wolves would be good for seeing Dirk. Still getting some minutes but not affecting the result. Dirk would never go for it, though.

I only see Dirk returning in a sixth man role. If Dirk is not back, the Mavs are probably tanking. Dirk may also simply not return if his health is keeping him down.

Honestly, I do not mind seeing vintage Dirk, no matter what age. But this season, when he has played, he does seem to give effort but something is holding him back. Either it is mental, that he knows this team simply is not good enough, or a health issue. He simply does not seem to have much energy.

I would mostly point at him having to play center. Dirk fits well with defensive center, but all becomes a mess when Rick plays Barnes-Dirk-Bogut and treats Barnes and Dirk the same way.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #47
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post

Honestly, I do not mind seeing vintage Dirk, no matter what age. But this season, when he has played, he does seem to give effort but something is holding him back. Either it is mental, that he knows this team simply is not good enough, or a health issue. He simply does not seem to have much energy.

I would mostly point at him having to play center. Dirk fits well with defensive center, but all becomes a mess when Rick plays Barnes-Dirk-Bogut and treats Barnes and Dirk the same way.
Sandwich Dirk between an athletic prime TC type center and Barnes and he has two seasons left.
It's obvious Dirk is not his best with the slow lumbering centers in the league like Bogut, Kaman and Pachulia.
DJ, Whiteside and DH would have had great chemistry with Dirk.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #48
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

http://stats.nba.com/lineups/advance...mID=1610612742

Really don't think prime DH12 could cover for Dirk anymore. Looking at any lineup we have used so far with Dirk looks bad. Simply putting Dirk in and taking DFS out makes our net rating go from +16 to a -40. a 56 point differential in net rating of offensive and defensive ratings. And neither is exactly a small sample size as they are 2 of our 7 most used lineups.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #49
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I forgot to mention... I don't mind us sucking with Dirk on the floor. Gets us in position for a top 5-7 pick and Dirk gets closer to 30k. I also don't think he will be playing next year. On the off chance he does, I'm still fine with it. Seeing as how it will take more than 1 off season to fix this team. If he's not ready to retire then by all means I'm not ready either.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #50
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post

Really don't think prime DH12 could cover for Dirk anymore. Looking at any lineup we have used so far with Dirk looks bad. Simply putting Dirk in and taking DFS out makes our net rating go from +16 to a -40. a 56 point differential in net rating of offensive and defensive ratings. And neither is exactly a small sample size as they are 2 of our 7 most used lineups.
Actually I take it back somewhat... the biggest difference is the offensive rating between those two lineups. Which is a little surprising even if they do both operate in similar areas. Dirk can still space the floor better than DFS, maybe we just aren't running as many plays for Barnes when Dirk is on the floor though. Idk.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #51
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Barnes is doing so many Dirk-like things that it's almost surreal. High post ft line stuff is basically identical. Really fun player to watch especially since he is now hitting his threes.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #52
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually I take it back somewhat... the biggest difference is the offensive rating between those two lineups. Which is a little surprising even if they do both operate in similar areas. Dirk can still space the floor better than DFS, maybe we just aren't running as many plays for Barnes when Dirk is on the floor though. Idk.
It seems to me that Barnes is more comfortable carrying the team when Dirk is off the floor and a little more passive when Dirk is in. Maybe it's just me and I certainly don't have any stats to back that up but it just appears that way from observation.
Asserting himself to be the clear #1 option is probably just one of the next steps in Barnes' development process. Can't blame Barnes for showing respect to Dirk but he is clearly the new catalyst on this team and needs to know it at all times.

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-10-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #53
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

My comment was more theoretical than practical for our situation and certainly not suggestive.
Dirk is a special but difficult situation because benching him would be disrespectful but playing him too much in the wrong lineup absolutely kills us. Mejri is about the best fit we have with Dirk defensively but he is too far down the pecking order since everyone has come back.
That leaves Rick with having to "bastardize the lineup" (his words) to keep all of the vets happy resulting in horrible chemistry in many situations and the worst record in the west.

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #54
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
My comment was more theoretical than practical for our situation and certainly not suggestive.
Dirk is a special but difficult situation because benching him would be disrespectful but playing him too much in the wrong lineup absolutely kills us. Mejri is about the best fit we have with Dirk defensively but he is too far down the pecking order since everyone has come back.
That leaves Rick with having to "bastardize the lineup" (his words) to keep all of the vets happy resulting in horrible chemistry in many situations and the worst record in the west.

Not a tough situation at all. Play Dirk and let him chase records while we chase losses.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #55
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Not a tough situation at all. Play Dirk and let him chase records while we chase losses.
Exactly.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #56
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...a-timberwolves

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The NBA has fined Dallas Mavericks guard/forward Justin Anderson $25,000 for a flagrant foul against Minnesota Timberwolves guard Kris Dunn.

Anderson was called for a flagrant foul 1 for striking Dunn in the head with 10:45 left in the second quarter of the Timberwolves' 101-92 victory at the Target Center on Monday.

The league on Wednesday upgraded it to a flagrant foul 2, which is considered unnecessary and excessive.
What a joke... He was going for the ball. The NBA is getting ridiculous if going for the ball can cost a guy 25k but a certain unwatchable bearded turnover machine can flop his way to mvp votes.