Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #41
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
They hired Avery Johnson to be an analyst.
When did that happen, I totally missed that.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #42
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post

Daily - Slots locked at First game of the day
This is how it normally is in yahoo but you're still allowed to see days in advance and change the line-ups. That description right there doesn't imply you *can't* do that. Any way to find out?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
This is how it normally is in yahoo but you're still allowed to see days in advance and change the line-ups. That description right there doesn't imply you *can't* do that. Any way to find out?
yeah once the game starts you are locked in for that player on that day...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-17-2008 at 03:22 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess the thing to consider then is looking at my post #38 and look at which option looks good for you guys.

Daily - Slots locked individually at Scheduled Gametime
Daily - Slots locked at First game of the day
Weekly - Rosters locked at first game of the week.
Certainly the first option: individually

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #45
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
yeah once the game starts you are locked in for that player on that day...
what do you mean it has nothing to do with our topic? we were wondering if we could set up players up to a week in advance, and I was saying that just cause it says "daily" doesn't mean you necessarily *can't* do it in advance. we'll have to find out.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #46
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've sent PMs to all the other guys who haven't been to this thread yet and have asked if that 9 pm time on Sunday will be ok for them.
Thanks for the heads up BGM. Sunday evening is a great time for me to draft a crappy team which will haunt me for years to come.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #47
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Daily means you can do it for the whole week if you want to, but you still have the option to change it day to day if you want. If it's too much to keep up with the week, if we do daily...just check it once and set it to how you feel for each day and just hope for the best.

For Daily you're locked into that player/spot once the game starts, but you can still change him for the next day or future days, if I understand it correctly.

I dunno if that answers your question or not.

I sent an email to the contact us section for fantasy sports on ESPN. It might take a day or two, but an official answer can come that way if we still need it.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #48
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
what do you mean it has nothing to do with our topic? we were wondering if we could set up players up to a week in advance, and I was saying that just cause it says "daily" doesn't mean you necessarily *can't* do it in advance. we'll have to find out.
I was agree with you...that BGM's quoted comment didn't have to do with our specific question.

when I read BMG's full post...it made more sense to me.

Last edited by sike; 10-17-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #49
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Daily means you can do it for the whole week if you want to, but you still have the option to change it day to day if you want. If it's too much to keep up with the week, if we do daily...just check it once and set it to how you feel for each day and just hope for the best.

For Daily you're locked into that player/spot once the game starts, but you can still change him for the next day or future days, if I understand it correctly.

I dunno if that answers your question or not.
that was all my understanding as well, BGM. And that is what I strongly vote for.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #50
BGMaverick9
Guru

Sorry for all the confusion guys...hopefully we'll get it cleared up asap.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #51
fluid.forty.one

yep I vote for that too.. and I think that fixes thigs concerns.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #52
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Thanks for the heads up BGM. Sunday evening is a great time for me to draft a crappy team which will haunt me for years to come.
woot!!!

gonna order some pizza.. watch football.. and draft my dynasty
Old 10-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #53
sike
The Preacha

just for the record, we are saying THIS Sunday, right???

Old 10-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #54
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's daily (and I've resigned myself that everyoen but me will want that) then I hink clearly the slots should not lock until gametime for that player.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #55
fluid.forty.one

Quote:

yuuuup

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 10-17-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #56
BGMaverick9
Guru

It sounds very promising that ya'll are active right away and now. Good sign for the health of the league. Like I said, we'll get an clear cut answer if we still need it very soon. Also, I should hear back from the rest of the guys soon about Sunday. Hopefully that won't cause a major issue.

I'll be checking this thread as often as possible and if anyone has questions or concerns, write them here and I'll get back to you!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #57
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If it's daily (and I've resigned myself that everyoen but me will want that) then I hink clearly the slots should not lock until gametime for that player.
thig,

wether it's daily or weekly, either way you'll still be able to set up your lineups days in advance. all that's talking about is when they "lock"

so if its weekly, you can set them up at the beginning of the week but they'll lock at the beginning of the week

if it's daily, you can set them up at the beginning of the week but each day doesn't lock till either the first game starts or each players game starts depending on what we choose.

so either way we can set our lineups early.. daily just gives us more flexibility incase someone gets injured at the beginning of the week or something.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #58
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
That is the expected time right now.
The 19th at 9PM CST.

jthig...yeah that would be the first option I listed and I think that's clearly the best option for if we go that route!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #59
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yep I vote for that too.. and I think that fixes thigs concerns.
I'm telling you, you are not going to have a calendar type option for setting your lineup in advance. Unless they're hiding it somehwere, it's not there.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #60
sike
The Preacha

with this many guys agreeing to a date already...I see no reason that it won't work. We have to resign ourselves to the fact that very often you can't make it work for 100% of your managers.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #61
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
thig,

wether it's daily or weekly, either way you'll still be able to set up your lineups days in advance. all that's talking about is when they "lock"

so if its weekly, you can set them up at the beginning of the week but they'll lock at the beginning of the week

if it's daily, you can set them up at the beginning of the week but each day doesn't lock till either the first game starts or each players game starts depending on what we choose.

so either way we can set our lineups early.. daily just gives us more flexibility incase someone gets injured at the beginning of the week or something.
Yup...weekly actually might hinder you if someone happens to get hurt. With that option you can't fix it until the following week. With daily, you'll have the chance to fix it if you get a chance to get to the page and fix it. It'll just give you more outs.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #62
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I'm telling you, you are not going to have a calendar type option for setting your lineup in advance. Unless they're hiding it somehwere, it's not there.
we haven't drafted yet...why do you think it has to show now, what it will show after the draft. The system wouldn't even know what to show us since it doesn't know what players we have...

Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #63
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
thig,

I realize you can set your lineup and leave it wehenver you want. But if you're thinking that you log in on Sunday, and set individual lineups for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc, I just don't see that interface anywhere.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's going to be available.

Either way I'd rather it locked at the beginning of the week, but that's me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #64
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
hmm

it just seems strange to me that yahoo would have a feature that espn doesn't.

hopefully they will respond back to bgm soon so we know for sure. I agree with you that we should be able set up in advance cause no one has enough time to set up lineups every day.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #65
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
The option I do see where it could be available is if you look on your team page and see to the right where it shows the week. Once the season starts you might/or probably will be able to click on that day and click and drag an option, sit/start and etc.

That's my thought. It could be hiding right now since nothing is set with the rosters and etc.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #66
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
I realize you can set your lineup and leave it wehenver you want. But if you're thinking that you log in on Sunday, and set individual lineups for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc, I just don't see that interface anywhere.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's going to be available.

Either way I'd rather it locked at the beginning of the week, but that's me.
the locking at the beginning of the "weekend" works well in football cause either a player is playing once that week or he's not playing at all.

with how crazy full the nba schedule is I don't want to have to put in a worse player because he's playing 4 games over my superstar cause he's only playing 2-3 times that week.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #67
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
we haven't drafted yet...why do you think it has to show now, what it will show after the draft. The system wouldn't even know what to show us since it doesn't know what players we have...
You can view My Team, there just aren't any players in it. I would think that if they had that feature, there would be dates above the lineup somewhere.

It's the same basic logic as being able to set a team week to week in football, and you can't do that in the ESPN league either.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #68
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
The option I do see where it could be available is if you look on your team page and see to the right where it shows the week. Once the season starts you might/or probably will be able to click on that day and click and drag an option, sit/start and etc.

That's my thought. It could be hiding right now since nothing is set with the rosters and etc.
if it shows the week I'm positive we'll be able to change it in the future. that's exactly how it is in yahoo.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #69
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

bingo

Old 10-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #70
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
the locking at the beginning of the "weekend" works well in football cause either a player is playing once that week or he's not playing at all.

with how crazy full the nba schedule is I don't want to have to put in a worse player because he's playing 4 games over my superstar cause he's only playing 2-3 times that week.
That's why I also mentioned that locking at the beginning of the week only works if you average the fantasy points per game played.

Sportsline line is the only site I've ever found that does fantasy basketball this way, and it's great (imo).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #71
BGMaverick9
Guru

yup, just go to your team page and on the side it'll show you the full week. Everything is blank right now since we haven't drafted.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #72
sike
The Preacha

as much as I hate saying it, I'm going to trust ESPN not to be that far behind...

Old 10-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #73
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

If that were the case I would think it would work that way in football. In the football league you ahve the same setup, except it shows the upcoming weeks, but there is no start/sit option, just an opponent listing.

Again I could be wrong, but I believe pretty firmly that the feature you guys are talking about from Yahoo is not present here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #74
BGMaverick9
Guru

alright guys...gotta head out a while so that's why it'll be silent for me! lol

We should be alright, but again...write concerns here and we can all discuss it!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #75
fluid.forty.one

but thig we aren't talking about doing stuff weeks in advance. in football you do it a week in advance and can't do anything past that -- same with yahoo basketball. you set up for the week in football. you set up for the week in basketball. I'm not gonna believe that yahoo is ahead of ESPN until they respond back to BGM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #76
fluid.forty.one

and if you ARE right, then yeah we should do the 'lock at the beginning of the week' option if thats the only way to be able to set up an entire week.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #77
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
but thig we aren't talking about doing stuff weeks in advance. in football you do it a week in advance and can't do anything past that -- same with yahoo basketball. you set up for the week in football. you set up for the week in basketball. I'm not gonna believe that yahoo is ahead of ESPN until they respond back to BGM.
Yahoo IS ahead of ESPN. In Yahoo you can set your lineup for every week of the season the minute your draft is over.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #78
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the point of the 7 days listed on the schedule screen if you can't move the guys around? It would just show the same name 8 times in a row.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #79
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Yahoo IS ahead of ESPN. In Yahoo you can set your lineup for every week of the season the minute your draft is over.
ah yes you're right. been awhile since I've done yahoo, forgot it isn't limited by weeks.

well we'll find out. it would be awfully stupid if ESPN wouldn't let you alter a lineup until the day of the game.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #80
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
What would be the point of the 7 days listed on the schedule screen if you can't move the guys around? It would just show the same name 8 times in a row.
I'm pretty sure it's going to show the opponent. It does in football.

There COULD be some sort of start/sit there. It's possible. But I don't think so.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game