Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't think he was considered last year? I do. I think the Rangers did quite a bit to assure that they weren't tempted to do so by acquiring some starting pitchers last year right before the season started, but it sounded like they seriously considered Danks for the rotation.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong. Maybe I should go back and read Jamey's reports. But I seem to remember a small amount of buzz that was squashed fairly quickly. In fact, going into last Spring Training, wasn't Diamond still considered ahead of Danks developmentally?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-05-2006 at 10:36 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #43
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Jamey Newberg isn't the be-all end-all when it comes to Rangers news.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Well, Jamey Newberg isn't the be-all end-all when it comes to Rangers news.
I wasn't really suggesting that he was. But his reports are the only tool that I could use to go back and read updates on training camp.

I honestly remember very, very little buzz about Danks breaking camp with the team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #45
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Danks was not considered to break camp last year. That might not be said this year however.

I would think he gets a good look at #5 unless Mulder and Zito both come here somehow.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #46
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

as soon as the rotation is set in the spring, we should start a vBookie thread "which ranger pitcher will get injured first?"
Old 12-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #47
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I know Mulder has had issues in the recent years and is a risk, but a rotation of Zito, Millwood, Padilla, Mulder, and Tejeda would be among the best we have ever had.

I know, I am just wishing and we will be lucky to land Zito alone, but damn would that be nice if Mulder could get healthy and productive again. Be nice for a change for our Rotation to be considered our team's strength.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #48
Drbio
Banned

Evan Grant just said on the Ticket that Zito will be a Ranger by Jan 1. If you believe him.

Grant said....

"Padilla is done pending physical...we go to Zito full attention now"

"Everything is very expensive"

"The Rangers HAVE NOT made an offer to Zito and want to stay under a 100 million."

Other than Rangers and Mets, Seattle is a real player for Zito. Cubs too.

The market for Zito is interesting and getting more expensive.

The Rangers are dead set to pursue Zito and want him to front the rotation.

Rangers trying to keep Danks, Volquez, Hurley, Massett, Wilson while getting Zito, Padilla to front with Millwood.

If the Rangers don't get Zito...the rumor that the Rangers pursue White Sox pitchers is dead but could be resurrected.

The Rangers feel like they can get Kenny Lofton if they need him but prefer to look for younger alternatives and pitching.

Botts as DH is not the Rangers first choice.

Norm: Is Barry Zito a Ranger on January 1, 2007
Grant: Yes.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-05-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #49
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its YOU I don't believe.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #50
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Zito in the Ballpark...does that scare anyone else?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #51
Drbio
Banned

No. Not at all. He is 11-1 all time in our park with an ERA around 3.5.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #52
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
No. Not at all. He is 11-1 all time in our park with an ERA around 3.5.
11-1?....woah...I had heard something totally different.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #53
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Rangers are dead set to pursue Zito and want him to front the rotation.
Then don't they think they're going to pay more than $100 million?

After Matzazukabazookauka (whatever it is) sets precedent for this off-season, everyone is going to get more expensive right?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #54
Drbio
Banned

I would think so but I am sure they will try to suppress it as much as possible.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #55
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Quote:
Minaya met with Rangers officials yesterday, and the sides discussed the Mets acquiring reliever Akinori Otsuka, multiple sources told the Daily News. Texas asked for 2005 first-round pick Mike Pelfrey in early discussions, but Minaya is believed to have indicated neither he nor '04 first-round pick Philip Humber is available. The starting-pitching-starved Rangers were apparently willing to consider a swap that includes Brian Bannister and John Maine, but that price was too high.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Danks was not considered to break camp last year. That might not be said this year however.

I would think he gets a good look at #5 unless Mulder and Zito both come here somehow.
I know that the thought of Danks starting the year in the rotation was talked about at least by Norm, Galloway and The Hardline.

I also know that Buck spoke about the possibility last spring training as well. Now, I cannot help that Doc has his head up his own ass.... That's his own issue. But, I'll do some digging to see if there's actially a transcript or story that I can find.

Last edited by Murphy3; 12-05-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #57
Drbio
Banned

It's unfortunate the crap you make up.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #58
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Botts as DH is not the Rangers first choice.
man I want to see this kid turn out to be something...

Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

I've found a FWST article mentioning Danks starting last season in the rotation... I'll do some more searching for the Hitzges and Galloway show comments.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #60
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I've found a FWST article mentioning Danks starting last season in the rotation... I'll do some more searching for the Hitzges and Galloway show comments.
Danks was never seriously considered to break camp with the club, I don't care what you find stating otherwise by some baseball beat writer.

Danks was never at any point a serious candidate to be promoted to the big club last year, much less make the club out of spring training.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

Jthig, with all due respect, you don't have the slightest f'cking idea what the Ragners were thinking last year. Neither do I. However, it was mentioned repeatedly on both sports stations in the metroplex last year and I believe that Showalter mentioned it as a possibility as well. Right now, I'm trying to find that.

So, my advice, shut the f'ck up.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #62
Drbio
Banned

murph misses Buck.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #63
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Jthig, with all due respect, you don't have the slightest f'cking idea what the Ragners were thinking last year. Neither do I. However, it was mentioned repeatedly on both sports stations in the metroplex last year and I believe that Showalter mentioned it as a possibility as well. Right now, I'm trying to find that.

So, my advice, shut the f'ck up.
Well, regardless of what some people on the radio might have tossed around, John Danks was not a serious candidate for the rotation last year. Hell, he'd never even had success in AA before last year's spring training, and he was 20 years old, why would he be considered for the big league club at that time?

Danks was sent to AA after camp broke, and wasn't moved up to AAA for a couple months. Doesn't sound like someone that barely missed out on a rotation spot in camp.

Hell, he's not even considered a favorite by most around the Rangers to make the club out of THIS YEAR'S spring training. I'm really unsure why you're still pushing this.

We also had only one rotation spot to fill during spring training last searson, until just before the season started. And there were at least six candidates much further up the list than Danks.

But, regardless, this is a silly argument.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-06-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #64
Drbio
Banned

Texas lost no players in the minor league phase of today's Rule 5 Draft and added three players to the system: shortstop Johany Abreu (San Francisco organization); righthander Kendy Batista (Baltimore organization); and catcher Brian Munhall (San Francisco organization).

The rules of the minor league phase are such that the Rangers will not have to place the three players on any particular roster or else face having to return them to their previous clubs. Abreu, Batista, and Munhall now belong to Texas, without restrictions.

Texas also acquired catcher Salomon Manriquez from Colorado in exchange for cash considerations, after the Rockies chose Manriquez from Washington in the AAA phase of the Rule 5 draft.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-07-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #65
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

According to channel 8 in Dallas, the rangers expect to find out this weekend whether or not Zito is serious about coming to Texas. They also said they expect a counter offer from Mark Mulder.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #66
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Rumor out of Boston - Eric Gagne is expected to decide today where he'll be pitching next season. It'll be one of 3 teams. Red Sox, Indians, or our beloved Rangers.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 12-08-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #67
Drbio
Banned

I'd take a flyer on Gagne if it doesn't break the bank. How's his health though? If we got him we could move Aki. Aki has been a key component in the Manny Ramirez rumors linked to Texas.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-08-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #68
sike
The Preacha

give me Zito or give doc death!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #69
Drbio
Banned

Sir! This is a family forum.

Clearly JD has a trade lined up if we are in the running for Gagne. I love the hot stove. I wish we could flip Aki for Jason Jennings out of Colorado who is now being linked to Texas.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-08-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #70
sike
The Preacha

you have no love for Aki?

Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #71
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Rangers have signed Marlon Byrd to a one year contract.

Lookout World Series here we come!!!!

Quote:
Byrd, 29, is a candidate to play center field, but the club is expected to pursue other options at the position.

Byrd, a right-handed hitter, split time with the Washington Nationals and the Triple-A New Orleans Zephyrs in 2006. He batted .223 with five home runs and 18 RBIs in 78 games before being designated for assignment on July 15. He then joined the Zephyrs and batted .271 with seven home runs and 29 RBIs in 46 games.

Once a top prospect for the Philadelphia Phillies, Byrd was their 10th round pick in the 1999 draft. He was their starting center fielder in 2003, batting .303 with 86 runs scored, 28 doubles, four triples, seven home runs and 11 stolen bases in 135 games and 495 at-bats.

He slumped to .228 in 2004 and lost his job. He started the 2005 season on the disabled list with a broken finger and was ultimately traded to the Washington Nationals for outfielder Endy Chavez.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 12-08-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #72
sike
The Preacha

who?

Old 12-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #73
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
you have no love for Aki?
I like Aki but if we can turn him into Jason Jennings or Manny Ramirez I'll help him pack.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #74
Drbio
Banned

With the Byrd signing I wonder if Nelson Cruz is in play?

That would suck.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-08-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #75
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
With the Byrd signing I wonder if Nelson Cruz is in play?

That would suck.
I seriously doubt one has anything to do with the other.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #76
Murphy3
Guru

...in play for what?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #77
Drbio
Banned

For trade. Just speculation but after thinking about it this is probably this years Jerry Hariston Jr signing.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #78
Murphy3
Guru

There's no way that he's in play for a trade. The Rangers are probably hoping that he's their best outfielder this year.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #79
Drbio
Banned

Everyone is tradeable. I doubt he is being shopped but noone is untouchable. He should be the Rangers CF'r of the future. At least I hope so.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #80
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Mulder and his agent are going to meet with Hick and Company on tuesday in Dallas.