Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #41
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Lebrons cast was underrated, but Kobes was even more. Like I said How does Odom make the playoffs with a rookie Wade and Butler..then the trade happens and the 2 player that lead theHeat to the 2nd round, cant even make the playoffs with Kobe.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #42
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Well you're comparing the East to the West, which hasn't been equal for a long time. Odom/Wade/Butler would not have made the playoffs in the West.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
LeBron's numbers in all those categories were better, but only slightly so. The differences: 1.0 in rebounds, 0.6 in assists, 0.2 in steals, 0.2 in blocks, 1.3 in FG%, and 0.1 in TO. Sure they are "better" but I'm not sure how many of these categories, if any, would even register as statistically significant. LeBron was also much worse at the free throw line than Kobe. Now here is a major statistical difference between the two - 17% at the free throw line. I would imagine this made LeBron less reliable in endgame situations as well, but I didn't follow both teams wire to wire. I do know Kobe was the one I feared more in endgame situations because he could score anywhere on the court, and more importantly get to the line where he is pretty much automatic.

As for who shot more efficiently, it kinda depends on which stat you wanna go with. Kobe has a higher points per shot ratio, and I would imagine a better eFG%. I'm always partial to the points per shot ratio as it takes into account a guy's ability to get to the line and drain free throws. And to say that LeBron could have scored as much if he shot as much, well the law of diminishing returns applies quite well in basketball with regards to shooting. LeBron would have had to throw up more inefficient shots to pump that scoring average up, and then we might not even be having a discussion about who is the more efficient scorer.

And as for the assertion that LeBron had worse teammates, I'll disagree there too. Other than Lamar Odom, who exactly did Kobe have on that roster? And before you start praising Lamar Odom, yes the guy is versatile and talented, but the guy is also a severe underachiever. He's probably a third option at best on a good team, which is what he is now. Kobe's teammates have taken a huge leap forward this year, with the addition of Fisher and Gasol, and an extra year of experience for Bynum and Farmer. But last year, I don't really know how you can put his teammates as any better than LeBron's.

And the Eastern Conference was absolute crap last year so really any success had in the East can pretty much be thrown out the window. LeBron wouldn't have made it to the second round last year if the Cavs were in the West, which would ultimately put him in the same boat with Kobe.
lamar odom has been the best player on a team that made the second round of the playoffs. and the pps ratio is as you liked to point out about lebrons better numbers a very small difference. if ft percentage is what you wanna go by both nash and dirk had large differences over kobe as well as higher pps ratios. you could make an argument kobe might have been the best player last year(and that was the first time in his career you could make a legit argument) but thats all. an argument. he has never been the clear cut best player in the league that everyone acts like he is.

and kobe as an endgame scorer is the most overrated part of his game. hes great if you need a shot in less than 2 seconds because he can shoot from pretty much anywhere, but hes terrible if you have time to set up a legit shot because he knows he can shoot from anywhere and hell just dribble around and chuck up a contested three from 30 feet alot of the time. it looks great on a high light if he makes it but he misses a bunch of them.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #44
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

and despite the fact that it was in the east getting to the finals>losing in the first round. again.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #45
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe got to the playoffs with Kwame Brown on his team. Even MJ couldn't do that. q=)

MVP right there.

Last edited by nikeball; 04-14-2008 at 09:37 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #46
RePLAY

RePLAY can only hope to improve

wow...you guys are some hardcore Kobe haters.

Best in the west = mvp = Kobe

Sheesh..thats how dirk got it last year..best player in the best team.

Last edited by RePLAY; 04-14-2008 at 12:49 PM.
RePLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #47
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePLAY
wow...you guys are some hardcore Kobe haters.

Best in the west = mvp = Kobe

Sheesh..thats how dirk got it last year..best player in the best team.
2006-2007
Dallas 67-15
Phoenix 61-21
San Antonio 58-24
Utah 51-31
Houston 52-30
Denver 45-37
LA 42-40
GS 42-40

2007-2008 (incomplete)
LA 56-25
New Orleans 55-25
San Antonio 54-26
Utah 53-27
Houston 54-26
Phoenix 53-27
Dallas 50-31
Denver 49-32

As you can see, this season's best team isn't as well-defined as last season's... Can you really crown Kobe over Chris Paul based on who's the "best player on the best team" when only ONE GAME seperates those teams??? (hell, they could still end up with the same record before the season is over...)

Also:

Best player on the best team = MVP

means

Kevin Garnett on the Boston Celtics (64-16) = MVP

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-14-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #48
RePLAY

then who would you give it to?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #49
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
then who would you give it to?
Chris Paul...

Without him, the Hornets are playing for lottery picks... He ranks #1 on a 55-25 Western Conference team in almost every statistical category on both ends of the floor and STILL manages to make everyone around him better... Plus, he didn't throw a publicly embarrassing bitch-fit about his teammates in the off-season...

Kobe "it's-all-about-Kobe" Bryant can suck it!

Last edited by Underdog; 04-14-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #50
RePLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Chris Paul...

yes and im sure your views arnt biased....lol
Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #51
Underdog

Quote:
yes and im sure your views arnt biased....lol
What motivation does a Dirk Nowitzki fan have to be more biased against Kobe Bryant than Chris Paul?

And on the topic of biases - why would a Lakers fan expect to find any Kobe support on a Mavs forum???

Lost?

Last edited by Underdog; 04-14-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #52
Underdog

Quote:
Kobe's been great, but Paul is MVP
by Mark Kriegel
link

It is now accepted, with distressing ease, that this is Kobe Bryant's time. Translation: he deserves the Most Valuable Player award because he's the best player never to have won it. Unfortunately, this is a notion, not an argument.

I'm not hating on Bryant, at least not this time. Nobody should diminish what Bryant has done for the Lakers (nor, for that matter, should anyone diminish what Derek Fisher has done for Bryant and the team's chemistry). It's just that there's a more deserving candidate.

That would be Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets.

By the numbers, Paul is scoring 21 points a game. He leads the league in assists (11.6 per) and steals (2.7). Three of his teammates are scoring in double-figures. In other words, everything good that happens to the Hornets happens because of Chris Paul. It all goes through him. It has to. He's the point guard.

But there's still another number — more significant, though less anticipated. The Hornets, who won 39 times last season, have 55 wins with two games still to play. Who figured that? Nobody. I'd argue that the Hornets' improvement is at least as impressive as Boston's. The Celtics — who added not one, but two perennial stars to their roster — got big on a steady diet of substandard opponents. Let's be serious: there are three good teams in the East. That's it.

By contrast, the Hornets (read: Chris Paul) compiled their record during the toughest year in the history of the Western Conference. And again, these are the New Orleans Hornets. I'll not claim that the achievements of a ballplayer or a ball club can gentle the condition of a much-abused municipality. Still, the feat — a transformation, really — deserves to be recognized.

A team in New Orleans with fifty-something wins? That's like St. Bonaventure winning the Big East. It's not supposed to happen. Again, this is New Orleans, a great city, but a terrible basketball town.

The history of pro ball in New Orleans is a dismal one. The ABA's New Orleans Buccaneers lasted three seasons before moving to Memphis in 1970. As for the Jazz, not even Pete Maravich could save them. The Jazz lasted five seasons in the Crescent City before finding a more responsive fan base in — of all places — Salt Lake City.

Actually, the nature of Paul's accomplishment in raising the franchise — the Hornets won 18 games the season before he arrived — will work against him in the MVP balloting. OK, so New Orleans isn't a basketball town. It's also a small market made even smaller in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Not many people have seen the best of Chris Paul. It's not as if the Hornets — unlike Kobe Bryant's Lakers — command the national stage. The MVP is a popularity contest conducted by the media, and the Lakers are media darlings.

Come the playoffs, I expect less from Paul's Hornets than from Bryant's Lakers, who should be favored to win a championship. That said, the Maurice Podoloff Trophy — the 129 ballots are due Thursday, 3 p.m., Eastern Standard Time — is awarded on the basis of this 82-game regular season. Bryant shouldn't get it just because Dirk Nowitzki got it last year, or Steve Nash the two years before.

By the way, who's a better point guard? The guy who runs with Shaq, Grant Hill, Leandro Barbosa and Amare Stoudamire? Or the guy who has David West and Peja Stojakovic? Who was David West before this year? And Stojakovic, who played 13 games last season? He's a reclamation project.

As it pertains to the Lakers and the Hornets, Paul doesn't have a teammate as talented as Pau Gasol or Lamar Odom. He doesn't have what Kobe Bryant has. That's not to say Bryant won't have his time. That he should have. It's called the Finals.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #53
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Since we've got some pretty good action in this thread, here is Bill Simmon's countdown from least deserving MVP's to the most. First part came out today. Second tomorrow, so we should see Dirk somewhere in the top 10 I'm guessing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab1pos1

Mavs' on the list so far:

356. Juwan Howard, Jamaal Magloire (tie)
Most confusing NBA trend of the year: Contenders wasting free-agent exceptions to sign washed-up guys who couldn't possibly help them unless a time machine was involved. What's the point? To look better on paper? Dallas should have skipped the Howard/Magloire signings and gone after Scottie Pippen and Oscar Robertson.

199. Devean George
All right, on a scale of 1 to 10, how awkward do you think every interaction between Mark Cuban and Devean George is? A 15? A 23? Every time Cuban looks at him, do you think he sees a burning pile of $11 million atop George's neck? Part of me hopes George becomes the Mavs' playoff goat this spring, then sneaks back into his Dallas house to get his stuff in a scene that unfolds like Butch going back to get his father's watch in "Pulp Fiction."

(Quick movie tangent: I watched "Pulp" for the first time in eons last weekend and forgot how excruciating all the scenes with Butch and his girlfriend were. I mean, those would have been unbearable as deleted scenes on a DVD, much less as scenes in the actual movie. Can't all the cable networks agree to cut the first two scenes and just show the scene where Butch finds out that she forgot his watch? More importantly, did we ever figure out the deal with the Gimp? He was trapped in a trunk wearing an S&M outfit and a leather mask, only it was unclear whether he lived in the trunk or if he just happened to be there that day. I'd like this cleared up, it has been bothering me for 15 years. Also, did you ever check out the IMDB.com profile of Steve Hibbert, the guy who played the Gimp? Not only was he married to Julia Sweeney (the lady who played Pat on "Saturday Night Live," but he appeared on "Boy Meets World" and played an inept security guard in the second "Austin Powers" movie. Now that's a career! How many people do you think haven't believed him when he said, "Yeah, I was the Gimp in Pulp Fiction" over the years? More than 200? More than 400? More than 1,200? Did he keep the outfit? I'm like three questions away from having enough questions to invite Steve Hibbert on my podcast. Whoops, where was I?)
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #54
RePLAY

Here's the rankings each ESPN writer gave Kobe for MVP:

J.A. Adande – To watch Kobe during the Lakers' wins over New Orleans and San Antonio over the weekend was to see his full value on display. The way he directs his teammates, the way he's in sync with coach Phil Jackson, the way he initiates the offense, his help defense ... it's all the subtle parts of his game that deserve mention. They've helped more than his scoring outbursts in the past.

Maurice Brooks – This is the season when the Swiss Army Knife -- best versatility, dependability, and quality in the NBA -- finally gets his due. Kobe is a shut-down defender and has been the best offensive weapon in the league since MJ departed. He is a coach on the floor, has learned to trust other players and has led the Lakers to the top of the most competitive conference in the history of the Association without an All-Star teammate.

Chris Broussard – This is not a "Lifetime Achievement'' vote. This is based on Kobe playing outstanding team (and individual) ball while carrying an injury-plagued club to the top of the West. Andrew Bynum has played only 35 games and Pau Gasol just 25 with the Lakers, yet Kobe's brilliance has kept L.A. soaring. All due respect to CP3, but his two best teammates, David West and Tyson Chandler, have each played at least 74 games.

Jemele Hill - I know I recently wrote that Chris Paul deserves the MVP, but the Hornets appear to be slipping a bit and the Lakers are still surging. Besides, if Kobe doesn't win this one this year, he may go down as the greatest player to never win an MVP. That's as bad as giving Steve Nash two MVPs.

Mark Jackson - Great all-around year. Has trusted his teammates and made them better.

Scoop Jackson - He finally deserves to get recognized for what he is: the best, most complete, thorough-est basketball player breathing. In the end, the haters will have their say, making it three years in a row where he's been overlooked like a balcony. And even though this year will make less sense in him getting it than ever before, Phife's Law is still in effect: "I never need a statue to tell me how nice I am."

Jalen Rose - Has been acknowledged as the best player on both ends of the floor the last couple of seasons. But his maturity this season, his ability to allow teammates to grow while still being able to play well through turbulence -- whether trade rumors, or several injuries to teammates -- makes him the definition of Most Valuable Player.

Marc Stein - Lifetime Achievement Award? Stop it. Kobe is playing the team ball of his life at both ends for a team everyone in the West deeply fears. He's also playing in an individual stratosphere only LeBron can touch, all while playing through a hand injury that still requires surgery because Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol combined to miss more than 60 games. Add it all up and the game's best player has had the best season, too.

David Thorpe - Kobe's numbers are terrific, and he is the only perimeter player in the league you would want both with the ball and defending the ball in the final two minutes of a close game. The Lakers are on the cusp of being the best team in perhaps the best conference ever, despite playing many games without their other key players. He's played in every game this season, inspiring his teammates like never before.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:42 AM   #55
RePLAY

Quote:
What motivation does a Dirk Nowitzki fan have to be more biased against Kobe Bryant than Chris Paul?

Lost?
i dont know..you tell me why

Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #56
Underdog

Quote:
i dont know..you tell me why

It's called an "opinion", not a "bias" - my preference of Chris Paul over Kobe has nothing to do with self-motivation... If I was voting for Dirk over Kobe then you'd have a point, but as it stands, you're just another undereducated dolt in need of a dictionary...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #57
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed...

Why the hell is New Orleans even in contention with the likes of San Antonio, Phoenix, LA, Houston, Utah or Dallas???

Chris Paul carries his team on his back the same way Dirk or Kobe do, but has even less experienced talent to work with...
Paja, David West, Tyson Chandler are all very good at what they do...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #58
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Crap..Scoop Jackson & Jemele Hill voted for Kobe for MVP.

All arguments for Kobe = MVP have gone out the window.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #59
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly could care less who wins any of these awards. It means jack shit to a Mavs fan and since I am not an NBA fan, well, that is all I have to say about that.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #60
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Paja, David West, Tyson Chandler are all very good at what they do...
Jason Kidd, Josh Howard and Eric Dampier are all very good at what they do too, but I also think they'd be playing for lotto picks in the West if they didn't have Dirk...

Chris Paul is doing just as well with Paja/West/Chandler as Kobe is with Gasol/Odom/Fisher (and Kobe is the better raw basketball player between the two, but not by much THIS season)... I think Paul is a great player who makes his teammates better, while Bryant's only legitimate claim to MVP is that he's the best player on one of the most stacked squads in the NBA...

Or to put it another way: Chris Paul is making a good team great (in the West, no less), while the only way Kobe could compete this season was to bitch & moan about his teammates until Jerry Buss (and probably David Stern) pulled some strings to get Pau Gasol for NOTHING (not to mention landing Fisher for free)... I think personal integrity should count heavily when you're talking about who is the Most Valuable Player in the NBA - Kobe lacks any such integrity...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-16-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #61
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
Jason Kidd, Josh Howard and Eric Dampier are all very good at what they do too
Jason Kidd, Josh Howard, Eric Dampier jumpers are not very good.

Kidd & Josh Howard need the ball in their hands to create to be effective otherwise they are pretty much worthless (although Jho is playing better off the ball lately)..where as Peja, West, Chandler (glorified role players) can just sit back and watch Paul's passes come to them...i.e. Nash to Amare/Marion/3pt shooters..I only bring up the scoring side of the argument because Points Per Game weigh alot more in the minds of most nba fans than other statistics.

Last edited by nikeball; 04-16-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #62
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Jason Kidd, Josh Howard, Eric Dampier jumpers are not very good.
Yeah, but we're talking about what they do, not what they don't do...

Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #63
Underdog

Quote:
I only bring up the scoring side of the argument because Points Per Game weigh alot more in the minds of most nba fans than other statistics.
Chris Paul
ppg - 21.1
rbp - 4.0
apg - 11.5
spg - 2.7
bpg - 0.1
FG% - .488
FT% - .852
3P% - .365
MPG - 37.6

Kobe Bryant
ppg - 28.3
rbp - 6.3
apg - 5.4
spg - 1.8
bpg - 0.5
FG% - .459
FT% - .840
3P% - .361
MPG - 38.9

All I see is here is the difference between a point guard and a shooting guard (and 6" of height when it comes to rbp & bpg...)

Last edited by Underdog; 04-16-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #64
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:

All I see is here is the difference between a point guard and a shooting guard (and 6" of height when it comes to rbp & bpg...)
Most casual NBA fans which comprise of the majority of the NBA viewership base only notice the points scored, high flying dunks, and fadeaways. They aren't like us who analyze every little detail such as ..our records when Dirk's hair is long or short.

Last edited by nikeball; 04-16-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #65
RePLAY

Quote:
Jason Kidd, Josh Howard and Eric Dampier are all very good at what they do too, but I also think they'd be playing for lotto picks in the West if they didn't have Dirk...

Chris Paul is doing just as well with Paja/West/Chandler as Kobe is with Gasol/Odom/Fisher (and Kobe is the better raw basketball player between the two, but not by much THIS season)... I think Paul is a great player who makes his teammates better, while Bryant's only legitimate claim to MVP is that he's the best player on one of the most stacked squads in the NBA...

Or to put it another way: Chris Paul is making a good team great (in the West, no less), while the only way Kobe could compete this season was to bitch & moan about his teammates until Jerry Buss (and probably David Stern) pulled some strings to get Pau Gasol for NOTHING (not to mention landing Fisher for free)... I think personal integrity should count heavily when you're talking about who is the Most Valuable Player in the NBA - Kobe lacks any such integrity...
ROFL...now you're chatting about conspiracies.

Kobe has a stacked squad?.....lets count the all stars he has. LOL

Integrity...LOL..to you..it should be the ANYONE BUT KOBE AWARD.

You're one funny dude...ill give you that.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #66
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
ROFL...now you're chatting about conspiracies.

Integrity...LOL..to you..it should be the ANYONE BUT KOBE AWARD.

You're one funny dude...ill give you that.
Kobe does have a stacked team. wtf. They are in first for a reason.

Gasol + Odom + Bynum > Peja + West + Chandler.
And further more .. Fisher + Turiaf + Vujacic + Farmar + Walton + Vladrad + Fanfavorite DJ MBENGA are all contributers.

You cannot judge teams by the amount of all-stars they have. The NBA Champion Spurs only have one consistent all-star in Tim Duncan. The majority of people who vote in All-Stars are complete morons. Look at the Rockets - Two All-Star starters in Yao & Tmac...what have they done? 2nd round? nope.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #67
RePLAY

Quote:
Kobe does have a stacked team. wtf. They are in first for a reason.

Gasol + Odom + Bynum > Peja + West + Chandler.
And further more .. Fisher + Turiaf + Vujacic + Farmar + Walton + Vladrad + Fanfavorite DJ MBENGA are all contributers.

You cannot judge teams by the amount of all-stars they have. The NBA Champion Spurs only have one consistent all-star in Tim Duncan. The majority of people who vote in All-Stars are complete morons. Look at the Rockets - Two All-Star starters in Yao & Tmac...what have they done? 2nd round? nope.
#1 Bynum and Gasol has NEVER played together. Lakers have a great team...stacked? No. Stacked team would be a team like Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton...thats STACKED.

#2 Are you implying that the spurs have only one main player? Ginobli, Parker, Bowen, and Finley are crap all of a sudden?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #68
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
#1 Bynum and Gasol has NEVER played together. Lakers have a great team...stacked? No. Stacked team would be a team like Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton...thats STACKED.

#2 Are you implying that the spurs have only one main player? Ginobli, Parker, Bowen, and Finley are crap all of a sudden?
#1 Stacked on paper. Without Bynum, the Lakers already have torn through the STACKED West, ending up in first place. They have an all-nba player in Kobe, two stars - Gasol and to a lesser extent Odom, and great role players who know what to do. Malone / Payton were on their last legs and they never won a championship together. Shaq with any team in the late 90s and early 00s was "Stacked."

#2 I was arguing with you because you implied that you need to have all stars (voted in) for a team to be stacked.

Quote:
I think the Spurs have or had a stacked squad with only 1 consistent all star (Duncan). Ginobili, Parker have one or two each but so does Gasol.

but the Mavericks are really STACKED because we have STACKhouse.

Last edited by nikeball; 04-16-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #69
Underdog

Quote:

#1 - Nobody is comparing the Lakers to teams of the past - as it stands RIGHT NOW, the only team in the NBA more stacked than LA is Boston (even without Bynum)...

#2 - He didn't imply anything - he stated that San Antonio only has 1 All-Star... That doesn't mean the rest of the team is crap - it means the average All-Star voter is a moron (which is exactly what he said...)

You're not only putting words in his mouth, but you're also trying to put them in my mouth... I never said "anyone but Kobe" should win the award - I said Chris Paul deserves it more than Kobe... I think they're tied for the MVP award in every way, but Paul wins the tie-breaker because he didn't sell out his team in the preseason...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-16-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #70
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never said "anyone but Kobe" should win the award - I said Chris Paul deserves it more than Kobe... I think they're tied for the MVP award in every way, but Paul wins the tie-breaker because he didn't sell out his team in the preseason...
3 out of 4 therapists disagree with you.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #71
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
3 out of 4 rapists disagree with you.
fixed...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-16-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #72
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Well, okay, if you want to be blunt about it.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #73
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Part II of Bill Simmon's article on the MVP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/080416

Mav's on the list:

6. Dirk Nowitzki
Here's the best thing I can say about the J-Kidd trade: During the '06 season and most of the playoffs, remember how Dirk would get that "Look, There's No F------ Way We're Losing This Game!" look on his face? When he lost confidence after the '06 Finals and the '07 playoffs, it seemed like that look was never coming back. Now? It's back. I have to admit, I'm a little intrigued to watch the Big German during these next few weeks. Nobody showed more character and grit down the stretch of the regular season with one exception: The Sonics fans, who handled a legitimately unfair situation with the perfect balance of rage and nostalgia and brought the sport to a higher place in those final two home games.

(Note to David Stern: This was your Bay of Pigs. This was your Watergate. This seedy, incomprehensible saga stained your legacy -- it did -- and the sooner you admit publicly that you handled this situation appallingly from start to finish and do your best to make amends, the better off you will be. I'm speaking for all of us here: We don't want to follow a league where anyone's franchise can be basically hijacked on a billionaire's whim. You need to fix this. You need to fix this right now. Back to the column.)
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #74
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I just realized that Dirk probably will not make first team all-nba this year.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #75
nikeball
Platinum Member

Correct me if I am wrong but...this would end his streak after getting 3 First team NBA Honors?

I'm guessing it will go like this:
G - CP3
G - Kobe
F - Lebron
F - KG
C - Duncan/Amare
Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #76
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

It's bogus because I think he's a bigger individual player than KG, and better than Duncan is at this point. But whatever.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #77
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Call me crazy but Kobe and LeBron should probably split MVP awards for the next decade or so. Chris Paul and KG are nice stories (just like Dirk and Nash the past few years) but years from now we're going to look back and think how much of a joke it was that Kobe and LeBron didn't win more MVP's. Sort of like how it's a joke MJ didn't win at least 10.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #78
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn this City
Call me crazy but Kobe and LeBron should probably split MVP awards for the next decade or so. Chris Paul and KG are nice stories (just like Dirk and Nash the past few years) but years from now we're going to look back and think how much of a joke it was that Kobe and LeBron didn't win more MVP's. Sort of like how it's a joke MJ didn't win at least 10.
Or that Shaq only has 1.

People get sick of voting for the same person.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #79
nikeball
Platinum Member

ho-hum.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3356991

Ginobili named NBA's best sixth man for '07-08 season

NEW YORK -- San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili won the NBA's Sixth Man Award, given to the best player in a reserve role, on Monday.

The 30-year-old Argentine received 615 out of a possible 620 points, including 123 of 124 first-place votes, from a panel of journalists.

A sixth man in 51 out of 74 games played this season, Ginobili led the Spurs in scoring with a career-high average of 19.5 points.

The six-year NBA veteran also averaged 4.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.47 steals.

Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa finished a distant second on 283 points followed by Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks with 44.

Players had to have come off the bench in more games than they started to be eligible for the award.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #80
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't even a contest this year. Ginobli's been a stud this season and it doesn't even compare to the others.