Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-25-2004, 11:15 PM   #41
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Carter to sign with the Jets

I can agree with that point. I was thinking more in terms of the offense being designed in a way to keep the defense off the field. Lots and lots of lots of run plays. Playing the field position game. Cutting down on high-risk-high-reward plays. In that style of offense, a QB isn't going to have much of a chance to post gaudy stats.

So in other words, I mean to suggest that maybe you shouldn't judge Carter as a scrub based on 150-yard passing games. In most cases, they weren't trying for anything near 300.

But you're right, they did throw quite a few deep balls early on. I'm not sure how this compares to other teams, though, in total. I know they ran the ball more than most teams did.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2004, 11:24 AM   #42
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Carter to sign with the Jets

Chum- even though I think your simple-minded comments were inappropriate I'll respond. Q-caine's lack of ability to not make mistakes was constantly hindering the Cowboys. Q-caine did not step up in any single game that I can recall last year and "Win the game for his team" a la Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Troy Aikman, John Elway, etc. There were numerous times when he was the direct cause of stopped drives and even losses. His mental gaffes consistently put the Cowboys in a hole. There were planty of other reasons the Cwoboys struggled at times, but you cannot tolerate constant mental clusterf*cks by your quarterback.

Bottom line...he is gone and the Cowboys are better for it in the long run. They may not win ten games this year, but the franchise prospectus is significantly brighter now than it was at the end of last season. Q-caine was a spare and he will make a living being a journeyman backup and nothing more.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, the comment was simpleminded, in my opinion. You're not, which means you can do better!

If Henson can do things in the style of Montana, Aikman, Favre, and Elway, then I will be ecstatic. If he ends up more like Chad Hutchison than like Joe Montana, then we won't be any better off. I'm optimistic that won't happen.

If Carter doesn't get any better, then yeah, it's journeyman at best. If he improves, he might have a decent career. He has physical tools similar to Aaron Brooks, who is doing well for himself these days.

Apologies for any offense. I think you should show a tad more respect, though, to a guy who started 16 games at QB for a playoff team. Sometimes simply not screwing things up (which a QB can all too easily do) is important enough. I bet the Bears wish they had received better QB play last year. They might have won a few more games if Kordell wasn't killing them almost every week.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #44
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Doc, the comment was simpleminded, in my opinion. You're not, which means you can do better!
Gracias.

Quote:
If Henson can do things in the style of Montana, Aikman, Favre, and Elway, then I will be ecstatic. If he ends up more like Chad Hutchison than like Joe Montana, then we won't be any better off. I'm optimistic that won't happen.
I would be ecstatic too. I don't think he can be as bad as Hutch ended up being if he tried to. Since I am not a professional talent evaluator, I read what the Cowboys do. Obviously they wanted him more than Q-caine. I'm very happy to know that.

Quote:
If Carter doesn't get any better, then yeah, it's journeyman at best. If he improves, he might have a decent career. He has physical tools similar to Aaron Brooks, who is doing well for himself these days.
I won't argue with that, but I personally think he will wallow in mediocrity.

Quote:
Apologies for any offense. I think you should show a tad more respect, though, to a guy who started 16 games at QB for a playoff team. Sometimes simply not screwing things up (which a QB can all too easily do) is important enough. I bet the Bears wish they had received better QB play last year. They might have won a few more games if Kordell wasn't killing them almost every week.
No worries. As for Q-caine, I've never seen anything...not even a flilcker of promise that made me think he could be a starting reliable quarterback in the NFL. He was ruined by not having a mentor early on in his career imho. He has never shown me that he can play smart. That spells career backup at best. Fortunately for him he is a good enough athlete to be a second teamer. It's a nice career. Just ask Jason Garrett. I always like Kordell, but he has fallen on hard times.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:51 PM   #45
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Brad Sham speak today, and he apparently doesn't hold the same low opinion of Quincy that all of the talent evaluators around here do. He tried to put on the game face and say that Testaverde can still do a decent job as the team's starting QB, but it was clear that he felt that the team would have been better off offensively if Quincy had stayed.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:43 PM   #46
Drbio
Banned

Were you at the luncheon kg? Me too. One point....I do not in any way hold Brad Shamm up to be a talent evaluator. Now if someone in the vein of Tex Schramm (God rest his soul) said it, I would pay more attention. Brad Shamm? Nope.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

Don't look now, but Chad Pennington is going to be out for two to four weeks...
Old 11-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #48
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Guess whose taking over??? Mr. 156.3 qb rating.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #49
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I cannot wait to see what happens.

Baltimore (5-3)
at Cleveland (3-5)
at Arizona (3-5)
Houston (4-4)
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #50
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
I cannot wait to see what happens.

Baltimore (5-3)
at Cleveland (3-5)
at Arizona (3-5)
Houston (4-4)

Baltimore is really going to be hell for him. If he can past that test than he should be okay all the way through.

1996-2005
Old 11-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #51
Drbio
Banned

Here comes the Q-caine induced NY Jet free fall. It is inevitable.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:31 PM   #52
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Guess whose taking over??? Mr. 156.3 qb rating.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
He's going to turn Chad Pennington into the next Wally Pip. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:11 AM   #53
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

The way things have gone for the Cowboys this season, I don't see any way that Quincy doesn't set the league on fire for the next three or four weeks.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #54
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Here comes the Q-caine induced NY Jet free fall. It is inevitable.
You know, you can talk about the drug thing all you want, but notice he's never been suspended by the league.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #55
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I think the Quincy Carter release illustrates everthing wrong with Bill Parcells and the Dallas Cowboys. Lets see. Draft a quarterback with a history of drug problems that doesn't even know how to throw a football. Throw him in front of a bus his first year, bench him and let your sensational QB coach (Wade Wilson) totally retool his throwing motion and his attitude. Fire coach for efforts and have Quincy start all year on a playoff team. Fire Quincy during preseason and let him go to NY where they will benefit from all the work and effort Dallas spent to make this guy a player.

On a side note, I am worried that Parcells is going to walk after the season. In three years this team has went from a young improving team with lots of speed and talent to an old slow team that has no talent. Campo may not have been worth a sh** as a head coach, but they'd finally started listening to him on the draft and he was getting them some good players. Unfortunately, most of these players are now gone and the Cowboys have nothing to show for it. Parcells draft have been busts and will continue to be. If Parcells leaves then this team will be set back at least 4 to 5 years. I am very frustrated right now. No one in their right mind thinks that you have a good team when your best player is over 40. On offense they have Vinny, Keyshawn, Eddie George and Terry Glenn as their key players and these guys are ancient. Football is a young man's game. What in the hell were they thinking?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:11 PM   #56
Drbio
Banned

Dooby- You've also never been suspended by the league. Coincidence? If you'd rather I will be happy to revert to Qstanky just for you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

On second thought....I'll stick with the appropriate and accurate Qcaine for now.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #57
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dooby- You've also never been suspended by the league. Coincidence? If you'd rather I will be happy to revert to Qstanky just for you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

On second thought....I'll stick with the appropriate and accurate Qcaine for now.
Actually a nickname like Quincy Jane would probably be a little more accurate considering it wasn't cocaine that was his problem.

Anyways, look for Quincy to light up the league just like the way he lights up blunts.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-09-2004, 04:29 PM   #58
FINtastic
Diamond Member

GP, I'm beginning to wonder about the direction of the franchise as well.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-09-2004, 04:47 PM   #59
Drbio
Banned

LOL Fin!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #60
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FINtastic
GP, I'm beginning to wonder about the direction of the franchise as well.
I thought we didn't have a direction?

1996-2005
Old 11-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
I think the Quincy Carter release illustrates everthing wrong with Bill Parcells and the Dallas Cowboys. Lets see. Draft a quarterback with a history of drug problems that doesn't even know how to throw a football. Throw him in front of a bus his first year, bench him and let your sensational QB coach (Wade Wilson) totally retool his throwing motion and his attitude. Fire coach for efforts and have Quincy start all year on a playoff team. Fire Quincy during preseason and let him go to NY where they will benefit from all the work and effort Dallas spent to make this guy a player.

On a side note, I am worried that Parcells is going to walk after the season. In three years this team has went from a young improving team with lots of speed and talent to an old slow team that has no talent. Campo may not have been worth a sh** as a head coach, but they'd finally started listening to him on the draft and he was getting them some good players. Unfortunately, most of these players are now gone and the Cowboys have nothing to show for it. Parcells draft have been busts and will continue to be. If Parcells leaves then this team will be set back at least 4 to 5 years. I am very frustrated right now. No one in their right mind thinks that you have a good team when your best player is over 40. On offense they have Vinny, Keyshawn, Eddie George and Terry Glenn as their key players and these guys are ancient. Football is a young man's game. What in the hell were they thinking?
Good post, GP. But recognize a few things. Parcells didn't draft Quincy Carter, for one. So that one's on Jerry, and probably he has learned some lessons in the last few years. (I agree with the rest of your Q-ganja argument, though.)

About the youth issue...recognize that they aren't in a position right now that they planned on being in. Vinny was never planned to be the starter. He was to be a mentor for Q-star and the kids. Probably the plan all along was to get Henson ready for next year, and that planned hasn't changed. They are old at that position now, but they won't be next year.

I don't think the plan was to rely on Eddie George, either. First pick in the draft was spent on a running back. If Jones was healthy, their running back position would be a young man's game, as you recommend. Don't forget that Rashard Lee is a young man (too young and inexperienced to pass-protect, to hear Bill tell it), as is Barnes the fullback.

Morgan is a young receiver, as was Bryant before him. Witten is young, and great. Other young guys like Crayton are getting some palying time.

From top to bottom this is not an ancient roster. They just happen to be missing a lot of the parts that they had planned to have on the field this year.

P.S. Terry Glenn may be "ancient," but he is damn good.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #62
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP

On a side note, I am worried that Parcells is going to walk after the season.
I doubt that this will happen. Parcells has way too much ego, and if you look at his history, he doesn't quit on the team. Of course, if I am wrong, we are totally f*&%ed. Hopefully though, he has learnt some lessons.

vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #63
Drbio
Banned

Q-ganja....LOL!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #64
Dooby
Diamond Member

13 completions for 22 attempts for 175 yards; 59.1% complete; Pass Rating of 84.5; 5 rushes for 22 yards.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #65
Dooby
Diamond Member

Vinny's QB rating is 82.1 for the season. And Q did 84.5 against the Ravens' defense.

Vinny has 9 TD's, 10 Int's. This time last year, Q had 9 TD's, 9 Int's. Quincy was also averaging 20 yards almost 20 rushing/game compared to Vinny's 3.4. I guess I don't have to mention winning %.

Just saying.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:52 PM   #66
Drbio
Banned

They both stink. Vinny's best days are obviously behind him. He would have been a good mentor to Qtard had Qganja not spent a months salary on the good stuff. Fortunately, I think Vinny is mentoring Drew Henson. I just wish we could have gotten some decent production out of the QB spot this year. I know one thing...Qtard would not have made a difference on this squad, unless you were hoping for a few more stupid mental breakdowns.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #67
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Vinny's QB rating is 82.1 for the season. And Q did 84.5 against the Ravens' defense.

Vinny has 9 TD's, 10 Int's. This time last year, Q had 9 TD's, 9 Int's. Quincy was also averaging 20 yards almost 20 rushing/game compared to Vinny's 3.4. I guess I don't have to mention winning %.

Just saying.
You also forgot to mention that while Quincy was playing he was high. What's Vinny's excuse? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 11-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #68
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

Just saying.
You also forgot to mention that while Quincy was playing he was high. What's Vinny's excuse? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Maybe Quincy needs to pass some of that grass.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #69
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FINtastic
Quote:
Quote:

Just saying.
Maybe Quincy needs to pass some of that grass.

[img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #70
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
They both stink. Vinny's best days are obviously behind him. He would have been a good mentor to Qtard had Qganja not spent a months salary on the good stuff. Fortunately, I think Vinny is mentoring Drew Henson. I just wish we could have gotten some decent production out of the QB spot this year. I know one thing...Qtard would not have made a difference on this squad, unless you were hoping for a few more stupid mental breakdowns.
Oh, so we have finally established that Quincy isn't the worst QB in the history of the NFL and that there are not 100 QB's that could do a better job than Quincy. And that seems to go against the notion that some people had that said Quincy would be out of the league. Which is funny, because I swear there were some people saying that all along.

Thanks for helping make the point that some people here have been trying to make for three years.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #71
Drbio
Banned

Where did I say any of that Dooby. Stop being obtuse. In fact, I said that Qbust would have made more mental gaffs than Vinny, whose best days are behind him.

Qcaine is a worthless piece of amphibian shit who will never amount to anything in the NFL, unless career spare backup amounts to something in the NFL. Jason Garrett anyone? He's available too now since the Bucs cut him. I'd put Garrett up against Qshitty any day. At least he is intelligent and doesn't make stupid on the field (and obviously off the field too huh?) decisions.

If we are going to spare ourtselves to death, we might as well get someone who isn't a junkie and who has half a brain. Qtardzan was both stupid and a junkie. Fortunately, the Cowboys (remember TRUST IN BILL!!!!! TRUST IN BILL!!!!) understand that simple fact.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #72
Dooby
Diamond Member

Whatever capital "Trust in Big Bill" had has been used up. That is not up to debate. It was spent on Eddie George, Vinny, Wiley, nonexistent free agent cornerbacks, Julius Jones' broken shoulderblade, questionable 4th and 1 calls, an australian punter who never played american football holding fieldgoals and not kicking kickoffs, etc. It is really a pretty long list.

Bill was wrong; trust is gone.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #73
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Whatever capital "Trust in Big Bill" had has been used up. That is not up to debate. It was spent on Eddie George, Vinny, Wiley, nonexistent free agent cornerbacks, Julius Jones' broken shoulderblade, questionable 4th and 1 calls, an australian punter who never played american football holding fieldgoals and not kicking kickoffs, etc. It is really a pretty long list.

Bill was wrong; trust is gone.
Exactly. I never trusted Big Bill when it came to personal decisions. I trusted him when it came to Sunday and Monday nights but even that has to be in question with the mistakes he's made this season.

1996-2005
Old 11-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #74
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, so we have finally established that Quincy isn't the worst QB in the history of the NFL and that there are not 100 QB's that could do a better job than Quincy. And that seems to go against the notion that some people had that said Quincy would be out of the league. Which is funny, because I swear there were some people saying that all along.

Thanks for helping make the point that some people here have been trying to make for three years.

Which is sort of funny because the Jets would rather have Qcaine than our current starting quarterback. I didn't mind signing Vinny to be back but now that I think about it we basically said this offseason that we can win with a quarterback who the Jets didn't even want as their backup qb.

1996-2005
Old 11-16-2004, 03:31 PM   #75
Drbio
Banned

FFM- you were the ringleader of the Trust in Bill bandwagon. Now you want to question him?

John Kerry would be proud.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #76
Dooby
Diamond Member

Nonsensical. Last year, every thing Big Bill did worked. He earned the benefit of the doubt. This year, despite the reservations and complaints many had with certain decisions at the time, everyone agreed that we should "Trust in Big Bill." Many decisions this season have turned out terribly. Clearly, Bill does not have the midas touch and it is not "flip-flopping" or even necessarily a change in position to say as much.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:44 PM   #77
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Qcaine is a worthless piece of amphibian shit who will never amount to anything in the NFL
I haven't looked at this forum in probably weeks, but I had to respond to this. Doc, you know this is B.S. There are a LOT of quarterbacks who have never led a team to the playoffs, and your Jason Garrett comparison really is laughable.

It's legitimate argument to say that Quincy would have never led the Cowboys to a title. It's not legitimate argument, really, to say that Quincy Carter is a "worthless piece of amphibian shit" and that he "stinks". Carter may not be a Super Bowl quarterback, but he doesn't stink.

Make no mistake about it. The Cowboys would have been a better team THIS YEAR if Carter had not been cut.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #78
Drbio
Banned

It is not BS. Qcaine will never amount to anything more than a poor to maybe average backup NFL QB. Like I said in pm...I've always thought Qspare to be an above average NFL athlete, but unless he switches positions he will ultimately be known for being a spare to meaningless waste of a backup qb. The guy simply does not have the mental strength to be a star quarterback. He cannot react to the speed of the game at that position and he consistently makes dumb ass reads and decisions.

I suppose if you are satisfied with a crack smoking no talent goon who makes really crappy decisions on a regular basis, then Qcaine would be your man.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #79
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Hey, Doc..................you would be amused to check out the Jets board. I couldn't help it after the game, just to see what the reaction was before and after. It sounded like us many moons ago.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #80
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Oh, and I might add, those Jets fans are a proud group. They are already having our dear old Q for dinner. They are not as forgiving as we were. This sould be interesting. For Q's sake, I hope he takes this chance to get his life together, but he is..........at best an inconsistant backup.