Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-10-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Van Exel Comments on Cuban , and the trade

Van Exel starting to fit in with Warriors

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
October 10, 2003
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Nick Van Exel is content being with the Golden State Warriors -- he just would have appreciated a courtesy call from Dallas owner Mark Cuban letting him know a trade was in the works.

``Cuban, during the season, he wants to call you and talk about little stuff or run little stuff by you, but that's how this business is, man,'' Van Exel said Friday, sporting his new No. 37 jersey at Warriors media day. ``You've got some real people and then you've got a lot of shady people.''

His coach, Don Nelson, called. So did Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations and an assistant to his father.

Golden State, which has missed the playoffs the last nine seasons, acquired Van Exel, guards Avery Johnson and Antoine Rigaudeau, center Evan Eschmeyer and forward Popeye Jones in August from Dallas for forward Antawn Jamison, guard Jiri Welsch and forwards Danny Fortson and Chris Mills.

Van Exel wasn't surprised to be shopped to the Warriors. Despite several outstanding performances in last season's playoffs, he was Dallas' most marketable player who wasn't a part of the franchise's three-man core: Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Michael Finley.

``We all know how Cuban is,'' Van Exel said. ``He likes the media. He has to stay in the media. Once everybody else was making deals, I think the first thing that was coming for him to get a little attention for himself, that was going to happen. Do I think it helped the team? In the short run, yes. In the long run, I don't see it.''

Van Exel figured Dallas would move him for a talented center. Most of the Mavericks thought their primary weakness was exposed during their loss to San Antonio in the Western Conference finals: Dallas still doesn't have a top-flight center to compete with Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal and the Sacramento Kings' collection of big men.

Instead, the Mavs acquired Jamison, another high-scoring forward with questionable defensive skills.

``It's his team, so he can do what he wants,'' Van Exel said with a shrug.

This season will certainly be a change for Van Exel, who led the Mavericks in scoring off the bench last season and averaged 19.5 points during the playoffs.

The Warriors are beginning their second year of a major rebuilding process under coach Eric Musselman, who exceeded even his own expectations last season as a rookie NBA coach when his team went 38-44 and stayed in playoff contention until the final weeks.

The Warriors didn't hear from Van Exel until the sometimes fiery guard showed up for training camp in Honolulu. Musselman tried to reach Van Exel, who had his physical waived by the Warriors at the time of the trade.

``I read somewhere he doesn't return anyone's calls,'' Musselman said. ``He doesn't return Mark Cuban's calls. I'm on the X's and O's, so I don't worry when they're going to get there as long as they get there eventually. None of them have to return my calls if they play hard for 82 games.''

The 31-year-old Van Exel will be leading an offense that averaged 102.3 points per game last season, second only to Dallas.

Van Exel's patience certainly will be tested with his new team.

When asked if he'd be with the Warriors all season, Van Exel didn't have a solid answer.

``I don't know,'' he said. ``I would like to be, because you definitely want to be in a place where you're wanted.''

Old 10-10-2003, 09:34 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
``We all know how Cuban is,'' Van Exel said. ``He likes the media. He has to stay in the media. Once everybody else was making deals, I think the first thing that was coming for him to get a little attention for himself, that was going to happen. Do I think it helped the team? In the short run, yes. In the long run, I don't see it.''
well, i could actually buy some of what he's saying in this article until he said that he didn't think the trade helped the team in the long run. Sour grapes anyone?

If he thinks the mavs didn't improve in the long run, he's VASTLY overrating his value (similar to the way many mavs fans have overrated his value..and several writers around the country).

Nick, you had a good playoff run, but get over yourself. You were a VERY expendable player. You're not that hard to replace.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Van Exel wanted Cuban to call him so he could not return his call? lol

It is sad to see guys turn on teams that treated them right. Nick is wrong to say the NBA is a business and that that is why he was traded... the NBA is a GAME... that is why he was traded. If you want to win you have to make changes sometimes. The Mavs would have gone on a decline if we hadn't made the trade.

Quote:
he's VASTLY overrating his value (similar to the way many mavs fans have overrated his value..and several writers around the country).
This is dead on.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm willing to give Nick a little latitude since he was obviously stung by the trade, but yes...it is some sour grapes. It's a part of the game of professional sports, but it still stings nonetheless.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I can't blame Nick for being upset. If I were playing for a contender in the West and than traded to a team in the West that will more than likely not make the playoffs yea I would be upset. I hope the Warriors are a good team this year. They have alot of bright spots in Jrich, Pietrius, Dunleavy, Murphy, and Claxton. Too bad that there deepest position is the guard. Maybe they could slide in the 8th spot of the West. I can name you the top 5 teams in the West but after that I think it's up for grabs. Maybe you can add the Suns to that mix.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you HAVE to add Phoenix to that list.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:10 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Can't blame NVE too much for feeling the way he does. I know I wouldn't be happy being traded from the Mavs to GS if I was in his shoes. But I definitely disagree over whether this was best for the team in the long run. I also wish NVE the best.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #8
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Definitely its sour graping by NVE. I don't understand what he was saying. Is he saying that Cuban was chummy chummy with him then he stabbed him in the back by not calling? Cuban obviously couldn't say anything to NVE before the trade because NVE could easily open his mouth and ruin it.

I think the Mavs improved for the short and long term. I will be interesting to see NVE when he plays against the Mavs. I hope the crowd at AAC still gives him a standing ovation.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #9
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
I can't blame Nick for being upset. If I were playing for a contender in the West and than traded to a team in the West that will more than likely not make the playoffs yea I would be upset.
I think Nicks problem is that he has whined too much. The guy makes a lot of money and lives a great life. He had a great year last year thanks to Cuban shelling out a lot of dough.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Quote:
I can't blame Nick for being upset. If I were playing for a contender in the West and than traded to a team in the West that will more than likely not make the playoffs yea I would be upset.
I think Nicks problem is that he has whined too much. The guy makes a lot of money and lives a great life. He had a great year last year thanks to Cuban shelling out a lot of dough.

There are some players in the NBA who actually love the game. Nick is one of them. He took a pay cut to play for a contender. He lost millions to play for the Mavs and basically it is turning out that he lost millions just to go and play for the Warriors. I understand his frustration. His son actually goes to the school right across from my house so I can imagine that he is also considering family.

1996-2005
Old 10-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #11
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan
Van Exel starting to fit in with Warriors

Half of this is true, the other half is complete BS! Mark Cuban made this trade to make his team better, not to get media attention! How would keeping a 31yr old backup pointguard have helped us in the longrun? The only thing correct in this paragraph is that Cuban sometimes likes media attention, but this trade was not at all for attention, IMO.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:19 PM   #12
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Van Exel Comments on Cuban , and the trade

Lets remove the names & just look at the numbers
Player A: 6'0'' 31 yrs old If given 40 mins a game would probably average 20pts 7 assists 1 steal on about 42% shooting
Player B: 6'9" 25 yrs old If Given 40 mins a game would probably average 20 pts 7 rebounds 1 steal on about 48% shooting.
Given that the Mavs have Nash, If you where given a choice to add one of these players to the Mvs which would you add?
Then you get a possible banger\rebounder, a young guard w\ some potential & a 6.6 mil expiring contract to use as trad bait before the deadline for a center. Sour grapes is exactly what this is if Nick thinks this wont help the Mavs in the long run. What happens if the Mavs can trade Mills for a guy like Nazr Mohammed or another mid 20's center with some upside? IMO, it would make this the most lop-sided trade in Mavs history, or at least tied w\ the Dirk & Pat Gerrity for Traylor trade.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i have no problem with him being upset about the movie..but the one comment about the team not being better in the future because of the trade..well, that's just idiotic
Old 10-10-2003, 11:50 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Nick was so great and he was such a big part of the Mavs going anywhere in the playoffs then why couldn't he carry the Nuggets further than he did?
I hate this argument. It's the same one people make about Finley and why he couldn't carry Dallas further before Dirk and Nash emerged. Finley was surrounded by junk and so was NVE.

Quote:
But he is paying for mistakes he made. I think he is lucky to have the year he had last year considering his behavior.
This is another harsh statement. He's human and made mistakes. Is he not aloud any redemption? I think he's matured quite a bit and I only hope he can continue to do so.

As for the comments by NVE, I can understand why he would be sour. It would be a tough pill for anyone to swallow going from a contender to a team that hasn't made the playoffs for so long. I am surprised that Cuban didn't phone him. He seems like a guy that would make that call. Not before the trade was finalized (obviously) but afterwards.

The only thing NVE is wrong about is that the trade only helped us short-term.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:10 AM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
If Nick was so great and he was such a big part of the Mavs going anywhere in the playoffs then why couldn't he carry the Nuggets further than he did?
I hate this argument. It's the same one people make about Finley and why he couldn't carry Dallas further before Dirk and Nash emerged. Finley was surrounded by junk and so was NVE.

Quote:
But he is paying for mistakes he made. I think he is lucky to have the year he had last year considering his behavior.
This is another harsh statement. He's human and made mistakes. Is he not aloud any redemption? I think he's matured quite a bit and I only hope he can continue to do so.

As for the comments by NVE, I can understand why he would be sour. It would be a tough pill for anyone to swallow going from a contender to a team that hasn't made the playoffs for so long. I am surprised that Cuban didn't phone him. He seems like a guy that would make that call. Not before the trade was finalized (obviously) but afterwards.

The only thing NVE is wrong about is that the trade only helped us short-term.

I agree with this strongly. I never got to comment on what he thought about the trade for the Mavs. I think he actually had it reversed. I think it is going to benefit the Mavs in the long run because of all of them being young.

1996-2005
Old 10-10-2003, 11:58 PM   #16
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

FFM I think there was more than age taken into account when the Mavs decided to trade Nick over Nash. The only thing Nick has over Nash is a better scowl.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:05 AM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
FFM I think there was more than age taken into account when the Mavs decided to trade Nick over Nash. The only thing Nick has over Nash is a better scowl.

Nash is also good friends with Dirk so that also took in effect. There was never a decision or even a suggestion of trading the Big 3. Nick was te lone one out. Everyone knew this. Nothing new.

1996-2005
Old 10-11-2003, 12:08 AM   #18
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

So why did you say that it came down to age?
Old 10-11-2003, 12:13 AM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
So why did you say that it came down to age?

Because I feel age was a factor. Why would you trade your younger player instead of your older one? Does that make sense to you?

1996-2005
Old 10-11-2003, 12:38 AM   #20
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

Nick is just mad that he got traded to a team that had lost almost all of it's talent. He knew he was going to get traded and he wanted to go to the Knicks. When that didn't happen he just got po'd.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:44 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

NVE was happy because he was on a winning team. now that he's not on a winner, i expect him to be a problem again
Old 10-11-2003, 01:07 AM   #22
DrtyFlthyNasty

DrtyFlthyNasty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
NVE was happy because he was on a winning team. now that he's not on a winner, i expect him to be a problem again
Thats what you said when he came to dallas. Van exel just wants to win. Period. I doubt he'll be a problem again, but we'll see.
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

"The ROC handle like Van Exel,
I shake phoneys man, You can't get next to.."

-Jayz
DrtyFlthyNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:38 AM   #23
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

Let's say if you got banned from this site and you had to post on Mavtalk for now on. Wouldn't you be upset?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 10-11-2003, 12:57 AM   #24
FreshJive
Diamond Member

So FFM, if we decide to trade Najera instead of Dirk, would you assume that age is a major factor? Steve is better than Nick. That is why we traded Nick.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:06 AM   #25
DrtyFlthyNasty

In the long run it may have been more beneficial for the mavericks or it may hurt them. We wont know until we get to the season and the playoffs. Van exel was a proven prime time player, jamison hasnt been there yet. However, on paper there is no doubt that the mavs benefit from this trade. We finally get a big body who can score in the post and it also doesnt hurt that he has a nice touch from the outside. And we lose van exel, meaning no more small-ball (hopefully). However, if van exel was younger, van exel may not have been the one traded. Steve nash is great, he IS dallas mavericks basketball. He loves to push the ball and run and gun that the mavs are known for. However when van exel runs point, its more under control, though may be a little slower tempo. Van exel and nash both proven to be prime time players. Both can make free throws..distribute the ball..nash shoots the ball at a better percents.. van exel seems to last longer and have more energy than the younger nash though.. and both can hit shots in clutch.
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

-Jayz
Old 10-11-2003, 01:20 AM   #26
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DrtyFlthyNasty
Steve nash is great, he IS dallas mavericks basketball. He loves to push the ball and run and gun that the mavs are known for. However when van exel runs point, its more under control, though may be a little slower tempo.
When Nick is the pg the offense is more under control? What a joke. Why do you think he was always shuffled over to SG when Steve was supposed to be resting on the bench?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:25 AM   #27
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
When Nick is the pg the offense is more under control? What a joke.
Sometimes I wonder if people watch the same team I do. I think Nash is so much better at running a team than Van Exel it isn't even close. The thing is that Nash LOOKS out of control... but he is TOTALLY in control. Same thing when he shoots.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:27 AM   #28
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I wonder if people watch the same team I do. I think Nash is so much better at running a team than Van Exel it isn't even close. The thing is that Nash LOOKS out of control... but he is TOTALLY in control. Same thing when he shoots.[/quote]

Absolutely. Nick was a great guy to have last season in the playoffs because Finley was largely ineffective coming back from the injury, but Steve is unquestionably the better of those two to have playing the point for this team. With Nick's attitude and style he's always going to be the go-to guy when he's out on the floor, but these Mavericks are ultimately going to go as far as Dirk Nowitzki can carry them. Dirk has to be the man on this team, and I can think of no PG in the league right now with more ability or willingness to play the game in a way that will allow Dirk to assume this role. If you forced me to choose between Nick and Steve as a go-to guy I'd take Nick, but the Mavs aren't built on that choice, and that's why keeping Steve and trading Nick was the right thing to do.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:36 AM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
So FFM, if we decide to trade Najera instead of Dirk, would you assume that age is a major factor? Steve is better than Nick. That is why we traded Nick.

I'm through debating with you if you feel Najera is in the same class as Dirk. I consider Nash and Nick in the same class.

1996-2005
Old 10-11-2003, 01:34 AM   #30
FreshJive
Diamond Member

NVE doesn't even LOOK in control IMO. His best asset was his unbridled enthusiasm, which is the opposite of control.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:39 AM   #31
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

You know.. I don't want it to bash Nick. I really do like him and wish he was still on our team. While I don't think he was as responsible for his performance in the playoffs as the rest of the Mavs clearing the way for him.. I do think he stepped up to that challenge. And because Finley was injured we wouldn't have gotten as far as we did without Nick.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:26 AM   #32
DrtyFlthyNasty

In my opinion, van exel runs the team more under control and is more under control when he takes the ball to the basket, especially late in the game. nash on the other hand seems to slide around or lose the ball at times (dont get me wrong, he makes amazing plays at times too). Like in the playoffs, when the mavs offense looked stagnant at times and no one knew what to do or where to go, van exel would come in and help the team offense. Whether it be to score or distribute, van exel did what was asked of him. Nellie wanted van exel to score, wanted him to be an sg. Although van exel is an exellent pg, he did what was asked. And van exel wasnt shuffled to sg because he was doing an inadeqaute job, it was because Nash is the teams PG and they couldnt take van exel out because he relishes big time games. Just stating my opinion, dont have to agree.

-Jayz