Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #41
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Need An Opinion For The Lounge

I can't understand the moves.

The only really thing that happened was the deleting of the "Say something about the last poster" thread, in the end.

I can't comprehend how that solely could improve the "cluttering" of the Lounge section. I mean, there were three post padding threads (the one about the movies would die soon). Now there are two. But now we have another sticky. We could have stuck a post padding thread instead.

And we won't congratulate people anymore for an issue that is worth -and deserved- for posters who don't post padd, or do it infrequently. This is a loss.

The sad part of the story is that this happened in the Lounge section, where supposedly we could do what we can't in the others sections. What will be the next step of the "complainers"? There isn't any left, except to ban most posters or to close the site.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:44 PM   #42
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Need An Opinion For The Lounge

Quote:
What will be the next step of the "complainers"? There isn't any left, except to ban most posters or to close the site.
But at least you won't have to "scroll" through 3 or 5 post padding threads.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:15 PM   #43
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

There were 3-4 threads in the lounge on the first page congratrulating people on their new status. That is annoying.
Hey congrats Dirk 432 on reaching junior member status.

It is annoying now do you realize how annoying it is going to be when this board get 300-500 new members in the first couple months of the season.

The Mods have done a good job in correcting that by creating one thread.

Secondly, I don't think the Mods have said you can't have threads like this or that (which was a good idea by the way), but they have acknowledged that eventually they run their course. I am willing to guess that coke/pepsi, cat/dog etc, showed up several times on those threads.

The lounge used to be, and I think can and will be again a very interesting place to discuss news/events/funny stories, and yes even a little word association. I think all the Mods are asking is a little moderation.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:38 PM   #44
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

DJ said something to me in the Mod lounge about this whole thing.

The mods need to use their best judgment on locking a thread or not, but posters also need to use their best judgment on what thread to start or not.

It shouldn't be such a big deal to ask that we cut down on the post-padding threads. We've had some fun games like this or that, co-star movie thread, say something about the last poster, etc.

We kept two out of that bunch. Just ask yourself is it really necessary to keep the good morning and good night ones? Can you not do that in pm's?

If someone comes up with a new game, great, let's roll with it.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:43 PM   #45
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

It is true that lately the congratulations threads were annoying. Before we only congratulated, what?, more than Gold? It could be regulated for Gold+ statuses and forbid also thousands between Elite and Guru or thousands for more than Guru.

Also, I forgot about the good morning and night threads. Usually they didn't bring anything interesting; only very few times.

It would be good for making the statuses work properly, that the known post padding threads didn't add posts to the poster (being in the Lounge section).

Although the best perhaps would be not to have statuses at all.

Old 10-17-2003, 08:58 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
DJ said something to me in the Mod lounge about this whole thing.

The mods need to use their best judgment on locking a thread or not, but posters also need to use their best judgment on what thread to start or not.

It shouldn't be such a big deal to ask that we cut down on the post-padding threads. We've had some fun games like this or that, co-star movie thread, say something about the last poster, etc.

We kept two out of that bunch. Just ask yourself is it really necessary to keep the good morning and good night ones? Can you not do that in pm's?

If someone comes up with a new game, great, let's roll with it.

MFF, I completely agree with this post.

Do people REALLY think that the lounge is going to be that significantly different? I've had a ton of people PMing me or taking shots at me in different threads. What I've tried to tell them is this... give it a few days and things will pretty much be back to normal. BUT, hopefully it will make people aware of certain things. For one, many people that post at a high rate in the post padding threads began carrying their post padding style into other sections of the board. The board was cluttered with "i agree" or "good post" or a ton of one liners.

I'm sorry, but that absolutely kills intelligent conversation in other sections.

The post padding threads will be back. Hell, JUST look in the lounge. THEY'RE ALREADY BACK. But hopefully, people will be aware of the negative impact that came about because of such threads.

Just think before you start carrying the same lounge posting tactics to the rest of the board.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote