Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #41
stevie_franchise3

stevie_franchise3 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Yao Speaks Out

You may have a point when you say all the Rockets fans want to do is talk about the past. Well its nice to have a past and glorious years to talk about. I know talking about the past is not a good thing for the Mavs.

And yes I can talk about the future as well. We have many good years ahead of us as well, especially as Yao, 23 matures and gets stronger and learns this game of basketball. Steve will one day mature as well and as soon as we get some our folks back from injury and suspension you will get a chance to see our real team.
People should boo until the Mavs start playing with heart. If they are trying but not living up to potential then they shouldnt be booing. If they are playing heartless basketball people should be booing. ......as stated by EricaLubarsky
stevie_franchise3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #42
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: stevie_franchise3
You may have a point when you say all the Rockets fans want to do is talk about the past. Well its nice to have a past and glorious years to talk about. I know talking about the past is not a good thing for the Mavs.

And yes I can talk about the future as well. We have many good years ahead of us as well, especially as Yao, 23 matures and gets stronger and learns this game of basketball. Steve will one day mature as well and as soon as we get some our folks back from injury and suspension you will get a chance to see our real team.

Good we'll be ready and waiting. Just remember that we won't shoot under 20% from the 3pt line all season. Hopefully the next game will have both teams at full strength and playing in top form.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:16 PM   #43
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good we'll be ready and waiting. Just remember that we won't shoot under 20% from the 3pt line all season. Hopefully the next game will have both teams at full strength and playing in top form.
You mean 10.5% (of course, I hope we shoot better than 20%, too). If I were the Rockets, injuries or not, losing that badly when Dallas shot that poorly would definitely be cause for concern.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #44
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
You mean 10.5% (of course, I hope we shoot better than 20%, too). If I were the Rockets, injuries or not, losing that badly when Dallas shot that poorly would definitely be cause for concern.

I was just being too lazy to look up the number, but you are correct. Actually when we don't shoot over 30% from 3pt line, I would consider that a really bad game. The main thing is that the next time the Rockets see the Mavs, our team should have gone through the initial adjustments and be firing on all cylinders, something that we definitely weren't doing last night although we were hitting on more than we were missing (cylinders that is).
Old 11-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #45
stevie_franchise3

ok I will take you both up on the bet. my email is mdriver@houston.rr.com

I bet if you go back and take a look at the points in the paint for all of your games you will see that there were more than 20 points in the paint. Forget that it didnt take one person, take the team as a whole.
People should boo until the Mavs start playing with heart. If they are trying but not living up to potential then they shouldnt be booing. If they are playing heartless basketball people should be booing. ......as stated by EricaLubarsky
Old 11-14-2003, 05:37 PM   #46
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Points in the paint:

Dallas 40
Houston 36

Old 11-14-2003, 05:38 PM   #47
stevie_franchise3

So you guys shooting on 10.5% on 3's has nothing to do with our defense right?
Old 11-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #48
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Points in the paint:

Dallas 40
Houston 36

KG you make an excellent point and this is happening more times than not. That is outscoring our opponents in the paint. The Mavs also got to the line about twice as much as the Rockets.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:41 PM   #49
LRB
Guru

Quote:

Some Defense, but in reality we were missing a lot of open jumpers. We've struggled with the 3pt shot all year. We'll get it worked out by our next meeting and you can judge for yourself.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:41 PM   #50
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Points in the paint:

Dallas 40
Houston 36

??????????
Old 11-14-2003, 05:41 PM   #51
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Not a very good defensive strategy to stop us from hitting threes but allow us to shoot 55.7% from inside the arc (34-61).

Old 11-14-2003, 05:43 PM   #52
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Quote:
Points in the paint:

Dallas 40
Houston 36

??????????
I thought I'd make a point with a "points in the paint" stat, since you didn't. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If the Mavs allow more than 20 points in the paint in a game, that doesn't mean a post player did it. It could mean that opposing guards drove and scored in the paint. In fact, it does, since we haven't allowed an opposing post player to score 20 points yet.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:45 PM   #53
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:

Some Defense, but in reality we were missing a lot of open jumpers.

Which is what Yao missed. He missed several shots he normally makes but when he misses its because Bradley dominated him. Not because he just missed them. I tell you what I see I get no objective views from you.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:49 PM   #54
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

guys we're not arguing with stevie franchise, we're arguing with minnie driver!

how you like dem apples?!
Old 11-14-2003, 05:49 PM   #55
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:

Some Defense, but in reality we were missing a lot of open jumpers.

Which is what Yao missed. He missed several shots he normally makes but when he misses its because Bradley dominated him. Not because he just missed them. I tell you what I see I get no objective views from you.
First of all Yao wasn't wide open. Bradley was up in his grill on the shots he did take. Secondly, Shawn didn't allow Yao to get the ball very much at all. No ball, no shot. That's the very best defense.

We got 3pters with no one in the area when we took the shot. Now JVG may have given those up because we are struggling so far this year and we were killing you guys inside the 3pt line. That wouldn't have been a bad move on his part. That's not good defense though, just smart coaching. You were depending on us not making the open shots, not on the defense making the shot so difficult that we missed it.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:50 PM   #56
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Points in the paint:

Dallas 40
Houston 36

??????????
I thought I'd make a point with a "points in the paint" stat, since you didn't. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If the Mavs allow more than 20 points in the paint in a game, that doesn't mean a post player did it. It could mean that opposing guards drove and scored in the paint. In fact, it does, since we haven't allowed an opposing post player to score 20 points yet.
Ah but you are wrong. Malik Rose did score 20 points.

Besides that point, like I stated before but nobody wants to answer, what prominent scorer that could score 20 other than Shaq have you guys played?

Old 11-14-2003, 05:52 PM   #57
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Yao had very few shots where he was just flat out open. We kept a hand in his face even when Bradley wasn't in there. Do I expect him to have nights where his shooting is a bit better? Yes. Do I expect the Mavs to knock down an average of, at the bare minumum, 35% of their three point shots? Absolutely.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:54 PM   #58
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

What prominent scorer that could score more than 20 points have we played? Uh, Yao Ming, for one.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:54 PM   #59
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Fair enough. More than 20 points.

Quote:
Besides that point, like I stated before but nobody wants to answer, what prominent scorer that could score 20 other than Shaq have you guys played?
Prominent scorer?

Gary Payton
Karl Malone
Gilbert Arenas
Vince Carter
Baron Davis
Yao Ming
Steve Francis

Old 11-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #60
LRB
Guru

Quote:

As KG has restated it was more than 20 points and we also played Yao, who we not only held below 20 points, but below his average.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #61
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
What prominent scorer that could score more than 20 points have we played? Uh, Yao Ming, for one.
As much as I would like to agree with you, it is more often that he will not score 20, at least right now. Maybe next year when has matured and gotten a little stronger. Right now he just isnt strong enough. He will have nights where he score 20 or more, but I see him averaging just under 20 for this year.

Also I never would have though Yao was a prominent scorer when he only averaged 13.5 pts a game last year and avg 15 right now.

So again please let me know if there are any others?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:00 PM   #62
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
Quote:

guys we're not arguing with stevie franchise, we're arguing with minnie driver!

how you like dem apples?!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 06:03 PM   #63
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that since december 2001 we've won 7 of the last 8 games against Houston including sweeping all four games last year.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:11 PM   #64
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that since december 2001 we've won 7 of the last 8 games against Houston including sweeping all four games last year.
Admittedly we got swept all games last year. Cant change that.

At the end of the day the Rockets franchise has Midwest Division champion and NBA Championship banners hanging from the rafters. Do you guys? (not being funny but has Dallas ever won the Midwest division? I really dont know)

Tell you what guys, I wont bring up the past(unless you do). All I will talk about is this season if you do the same. Deal?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #65
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Yao Speaks Out

dude, you were the one who started with the past crap! it's in your freakin' signature. you can't be the one to say, "ok, let's stop talking about the past..."
Old 11-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #66
LRB
Guru

Quote:
At the end of the day the Rockets franchise has Midwest Division champion and NBA Championship banners hanging from the rafters. Do you guys? (not being funny but has Dallas ever won the Midwest division? I really dont know)
The answere would be yes we have won the Midwest division title.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #67
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i guess he doesnt have much to say against my points.

even a rox fan has to agree mobley and francis combine to form the lowest starting backcourt bball iq in the nba.

enough of this crap about waiting for franchise to mature and learn to run an offense. i've been hearing the same gibberish from rox fans since he was a rookie.

earth to rockets fans. francis is in his 5th year. if he hasnt figured out how to throw a freakin entry pass, or how to bust a zone, or even how to run his own damn offense without dribbling the shot clock down to 5 every possession, then he isn't going to get a clue anytime soon. but you got to love it as a rockets fan, when francis comes down on a 3 on 1 with 2 wide open wing men leading the break, and forces a shot that clangs off the rim.

francis is a complete idiot who has all the physical tools, but can't put it together because he thinks hes better than he actually is. for an example of what francis could be, see baron davis.

for what he's not, take a look at the number of playoff appearances the rockets have made the past 4 seasons.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #68
LRB
Guru

Quote:
earth to rockets fans. francis is in his 5th year. if he hasnt figured out how to throw a freakin entry pass, or how to bust a zone, or even how to run his own damn offense without dribbling the shot clock down to 5 every possession, then he isn't going to get a clue anytime soon.
How aobut running a simple 2 on 1 fast break consistently. Something Stevie was horrid at last night.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #69
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
dude, you were the one who started with the past crap! it's in your freakin' signature. you can't be the one to say, "ok, let's stop talking about the past..."

Hey I was just trying to make a truce since I know I would win if we ever talked about the past. I was just trying to keep the topic in the present. Like presently,. Mavs have no championship banners. Presently, Houston and San Antonio have championship banners.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #70
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Quote:

Hey I was just trying to make a truce since I know I would win if we ever talked about the past. I was just trying to keep the topic in the present. Like presently,. Mavs have no championship banners. Presently, Houston and San Antonio have championship banners.

And the Celtics have more banners than Stevie Franchise can count to. So what?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #71
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey stevie.... just for you..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #72
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I must admit, that's pretty damn funny.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #73
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Hey stevie.... just for you..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

LOL. good one U2. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 06:36 PM   #74
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:

i guess two can play this game.

*** rockets ***
number of starters on the rockets with bball IQ: 2
number of playoff appearances in the past 4 seasons: 0
number of playoff appearances with steve francis starting at PG:0
number of championships won in the past 4 years: 0
number of playoff series won in the 4 years: 0
number of ugly jersey's gone through in the past 5 years: 2
number of times i've completely obliterated anything you've had to say in this thread: countless

go home little boy. come back when they actually make the playoffs, ok? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #75
LRB
Guru

Quote:
go home little boy. come back when they actually make the playoffs, ok?
Now Aex be nice to Minnie Driver. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #76
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
i guess he doesnt have much to say against my points.

even a rox fan has to agree mobley and francis combine to form the lowest starting backcourt bball iq in the nba.

enough of this crap about waiting for franchise to mature and learn to run an offense. i've been hearing the same gibberish from rox fans since he was a rookie.

earth to rockets fans. francis is in his 5th year. if he hasnt figured out how to throw a freakin entry pass, or how to bust a zone, or even how to run his own damn offense without dribbling the shot clock down to 5 every possession, then he isn't going to get a clue anytime soon. but you got to love it as a rockets fan, when francis comes down on a 3 on 1 with 2 wide open wing men leading the break, and forces a shot that clangs off the rim.

francis is a complete idiot who has all the physical tools, but can't put it together because he thinks hes better than he actually is. for an example of what francis could be, see baron davis.

for what he's not, take a look at the number of playoff appearances the rockets have made the past 4 seasons.
You are correct in your assessment of our backcourt. The problem is that Rudy T gave these guys all their power and told them they were the best thing since sliced bread and they ran with it. Hopefully this is where JVG can break some old habits and put his foot down. As much as I loved Rudy he just gave these guys too much freedom. Now it like teaching an old dog new tricks.

We will get to see how great Baron Davis is next year when he plays in the Western conference night in and night out. he is a good player but playing in the East makes you look a lot better. The problem with BD is that he is always injured. One good thing that happened to BD was that he was brought along slowly and didnt really start at the beginning of the career which made him hungry as well as learn by watching. Francis unfortunately was handed over the team because at the time all our old veterans ended up getting hurt for most of the season.

This year I have actually seen a gradual change in Steve's attitude although he does revert sometimes, ie the fast breaks against you guys last night. I think he is going to get it before the end of this season or he wont be around long. I have also seen a change in Cuttino as well. If you could actually get a better position in the post we could see the difference more.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:53 PM   #77
stevie_franchise3

Ok guys, sure I have talked a little b-ball smack but I have been objective about several things. Not only have I said good things about my Roxs but I have said some good things about the Mavs.

I have also agreed on several of your points about my team that are in the negative but I guess your team has no faults because I really havent seen a post that talks about it. I thought I might be able to get some objective opinions on this game of basketball. I have asked questions like what prominent low post scorer could score on you guys so I see where your point was in saying "no post player has scored more than 20" against us. Anytime you have said that I dont respond to some thought of yours I respond to it even if you are right.

Can I get some objective responses on this board or does everyone see the Mavs through Blue, white and silver glasses?
Old 11-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #78
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

sure, hit your back button and READ some of the other threads. We spend plenty of time being objective, and objectively speaking, we owned the rockets.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #79
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Ok guys, sure I have talked a little b-ball smack but I have been objective about several things. Not only have I said good things about my Roxs but I have said some good things about the Mavs.

I have also agreed on several of your points about my team that are in the negative but I guess your team has no faults because I really havent seen a post that talks about it. I thought I might be able to get some objective opinions on this game of basketball. I have asked questions like what prominent low post scorer could score on you guys so I see where your point was in saying "no post player has scored more than 20" against us. Anytime you have said that I dont respond to some thought of yours I respond to it even if you are right.

Can I get some objective responses on this board or does everyone see the Mavs through Blue, white and silver glasses?
Well actually any prominant lowpost scorer could score on us. So far we've done well against those that we've played. We got lucky in that Duncan was out when we played the Spurs. But you gotta take the good luck when you can because you never know when the bad luck will strike you.

But no team can completely shut out the prominent lowpost scorers. I don't think the Mavs need to even be in the top 5 in the league at this. If we're pretty good, and can score ourselves in the paint, which we've proven that we can do so far, then that's the improvement that this team needs to take it to the next level.

What the Rockets need is to learn to take better advantage of arguably the 3rd best lowpost option in the league, Yao. If you can do that, then you guys will stop wishing for a good draw in the lottery and start concerning yourself with playoff seedings. Yao also needs to progress some, but he's looking at a league in the very near future who will be losing the only center more dominant than he is now. If Yao improves, who knows.

The Mavs still have a lot of jelling to do as a team. We will need to continue improving on D and rebouding to keep pace as other teams get into regular season form. And we need to get our long distance shots back in a consistent fashion. We're not going to be a defensive powerhouse like SA, but we definitely have the talent to be the best offensive show in the league. If we can add decent D and rebounding to that we have an excellent chance at a championship.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #80
stevie_franchise3

Great Post!