Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-25-2003, 09:16 AM   #41
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mournings Career Over

Another team was in the mix for Zo

Quote:
Prior to the season, I mentioned to Jerry West how much I hated New Jersey's signing of Alonzo Mourning for $22 million guaranteed, no matter what, including disease, disability or death. Why would our noble Nets bestow a treasure chest of Benjamins and furnish so much protection to someone in such an unstable state, I grumped? Seems to me they were bidding against themselves. ...

"That's not factual," interjected the Grizzly president, correcting me in mid-sermon. "We offered 'Zo a similar deal. And, from what I understand, so did the Mavericks. Mark Cuban says he was first on 'Zo's doorstep the moment teams officially were permitted to talk to free agents, but if that's true, then he recruited him earlier than the league allows, 'cause we were all over him at 12:01 a.m."

In West's opinion, 'Zo was a bargain and just the proud gladiator the Grizzlies were looking for to even up the odds to some degree in the absurdly competitive Western Conference. How can a guy with an ominous kidney condition that forced him to miss all but 13 games in the 2000-'01 season and forbade him from working up a single serious sweat last season be considered a $22M bargain, I impertinently inquired.

"In my book, 'Zo's worth at least $10M per. So he's very underpaid at $5.5M," West figured. "If he only lasts two years it was a great deal."

What if 'Zo doesn't last one season, I wondered?

"Then it was a terrible deal!" West accentuated.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #42
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mournings Career Over

Interesting...

I was suprised that Zo could get little playing time in New Jersey with the LACK OF centers; however, I do not think he would have had much at all in Memphis with Wright and their other Bigs...

Regarding Bogey: I stand corrected!
Old 11-25-2003, 12:03 PM   #43
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

And I promise never to argue about networks, servers, etc with Dan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:20 PM   #44
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Bogey, you are one wise heifer... Um, I mean Steer!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 08:12 PM   #45
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

All this talk about Mourning being a "Warrior" or "hero" is BS. The guy is receiving 20 mil for sitting on his butt! So he's fighting his kidney disorder and should be commended for that? Yeah. But taking 20 mil from the Nets without even completing 1/4 of the first of four seasons, that's robbery. Why wouldn't he grant teams a physical? He knew he wouldn't hold up. Why did he ask for a guaranteed contract? He knew he wouldn't hold up. I may not be with the popular vote but as long as Mourning is taking the full 20 mil. I think he's a greedy scumbag to me.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:16 AM   #46
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

On one hand I agree with you Simon. On the other hand, the Nets were dumb enough to sign him knowing the risk. Why should they be given a reprieve? They took a calculated risk. Sometimes when you do that you crap out. You can look at Zo as scumbag, or a savvy businessman. Maybe they’re one and the same.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:32 AM   #47
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male22Dan
Interesting...

I was suprised that Zo could get little playing time in New Jersey with the LACK OF centers; however, I do not think he would have had much at all in Memphis with Wright and their other Bigs...

Regarding Bogey: I stand corrected!
the main reason for his lack of playing time was the disease..i think they wanted to see how he would hold up in about 20 mins of playing time and then step it up over the course of the season

of course that's not going to happen..good luck to 'zo
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:18 AM   #48
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
On one hand I agree with you Simon. On the other hand, the Nets were dumb enough to sign him knowing the risk. Why should they be given a reprieve? They took a calculated risk. Sometimes when you do that you crap out. You can look at Zo as scumbag, or a savvy businessman. Maybe they’re one and the same.
Scumbag <> savvy businessman.

Look at Cuban.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:20 AM   #49
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

It's true that NBA players are getting paid a lot of money, and that anything bad that may happen to them seems to us as being just a balance to their "fortunate" lives.

However, anytime ones health is threatened, like Mourning's does, all one really wants is to be healthy again. I'm sure Mourning would trade his salary for a new kidney, and the chance to live a normal life even if he never plays basketball again.

As a player, the guy worked harder than anyone on the court and was a mode-NBA player (as far as I know). He was a "warrior" on the court and should be commended for that. We may not owe him any tears for his condition, but to diminish his courage in facing his health condition is showing a lack of understanding of what having a kidney ailment can do to someone.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote