Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2004, 09:10 PM   #41
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Poll: If the Mavs can't land Shaq, who's your next choice?

I'd rather go to war with Ostertag/Chandler/Pavel than anything outside of Shaq.

Tag is not a world beater, but he for sure will come out and bust his ass. He's a good rebounder, good post defender, he's a good enough shot blocker, and most of all...he's BIG. Chandler is the guy who can come in and spell Tag and/or Dirk. He's got unlimited athleticism and is a good kid. He's not been able to get enough time in the league for people to determine if he's a player or not, but from what I've seen on WGN last year - I was INCREDIBLY worried about the future of the Bulls. At the beginning of the season he was simply DOMINANT on the glass. It's worth mentioning that his offense is better than Tag's or the Stormin' Mormon's. Then you round it out with Pavel who is your project. I think the only time Pavel gets serious PT is when Shaq and Yao come into town. If he shows promise against either of those two guys, defensively, then he might make Tag despensable.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #42
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

We can't afford to go into the season hoping that pavel will develop. Although laettner will be better than scott williams was I don't like that option either.

Also walker MUST be moved so it would only make sense to get someone at the 5 that can help.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:22 PM   #43
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Poll: If the Mavs can't land Shaq, who's your next choice?

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
This is one way to go about it:

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Eddie Robinson (6.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
PF Jerome Williams (6.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.1 minutes)
PF Tyson Chandler (6.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 22.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -9.6 ppg, +1.1 rpg, and -4.0 apg.

Chicago trades: SF Eddie Robinson (6.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
PF Jerome Williams (6.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.1 minutes)
PF Tyson Chandler (6.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 22.4 minutes)
Chicago receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 33 games)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
Change in team outlook: +9.6 ppg, -1.1 rpg, and +4.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

or you could take A. Davis instead of E. Robinson and Jerome Williams. Either way, I think you have to let Chicago have Howard as well as take on crummy contracts in order to get Chandler.

SS: Do you think since Bulls drafted Gordon and Deng they would want Delk and Howard?

If we going to take some size off of their roster, I think we will need to get them someone with size comign back. I don't keep up with Bulls that much, would they prefer expiring contracts they can move to get other players they may want later toward the deadline? Would they want Stack as a veteran guard if we took back a bad contract? I am thinking about 3 separate moves here.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:58 PM   #44
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Give me the 21 year old defensive stud Chandler.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:44 PM   #45
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

After reading through many of the posts, I'm leaning toward grndmastText opinion that the one thing our current center rotations is missing is athleticism. So that would be the major attribute I would hope for the mavs to look for in a center. I'm guessing that this would be kind of difficult to obtain without a trade, but I feel like we have a pretty nice trading piece in stackhouse that could be packaged along with some kind of combination of players like Fortson, Steffanson, Delk, or Laettner. Anyhow, I'm thinking stackhouse is a little bit of a luxury since we just drafted a talented scoring pg, daniels and howard that all could possibly fill the same type of role.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:54 PM   #46
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well raef had athleticism so maybe I agree with you.

What's disturbing me a little bit is that we somehow feel that unless we get one of the top 3 centers (dampier was that last year) then it can't work. I just don't think that HAS to happen, it would be great, but I just think I need a mean dude who will give the team more of an edge.

For example if malone were on the team last year and that dude in memphis gave dirk the nutt-sandwich, you think something may have happened later. We have an inside guy which should be dirk, we don't actually need a low-post center for the team.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #47
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
SS: Do you think since Bulls drafted Gordon and Deng they would want Delk and Howard?
Chicago doesn't want Delk, but he's needed to balance the contracts, and his contract is much less onerous than the one's we're taking back.

Walker is the size we're shipping out. He starts every game for Chicago at power forward. But his contract is up in a year (that's good in one way) and Chicago needs something to show for the trade, besides cap relief, at the end of that year.

Howard is the most realistic possibility. Deng is still an unproven rookie--he backs up Howard for at least the first year. Gordon is a little, bitty shooting guard. At this point, Chicago (besides Curry, Deng and Chandler) has really used all its high draft picks on point or combo guards--Crawford, Hinrich, Gordon & J. Williams.

Dallas sends out Chicago's starting forwards for next year, maybe longer & eases the cap hell Chicago is in. I don't know that the Bull's would do that deal, but I think it's pretty good for them. Maybe good enough to get them back in the playoffs.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote