Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #41
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Iverson is the man

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
AI's other "2nd option" players have been mediocre at best. Honestly, pick one that you'd like to pair with Dirk and then fill with role players. Stack you can make an argument... BUT

Van Horn
Big Dog
Don’t’ forget Kukoc who was an 18 point 5 assist guy before going to Philly. Iverson was so happy to have him that he came to the press conference. Big dog is kind of a head case, but he’s a head case that can fill it up. He got fewer shots last year with AI than he was getting with Cassell and Ray Allen. It would have been interesting to see what Iverson and Hughes could have done together. I could be wrong, but I can’t imagine a player with 18-20 ppg capabilities would want to play with Iverson because, while it pretty simplistic, scorers like to shoot.
this just about sums it up..kukoc, matt harpring, glenn robinson, keith van horn have all been through philly and if iverson was so great, he would've found a way to make it work with one of these guys

he didn't..and that's all there is to that..

if he changes his attitude and trusts his teammates and wins some games in the EAST, then let me know that he is a top 10 player and you'd have a point..
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #42
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Iverson is the man

hey if you think the sixers have one of the better rosters in the east then yeah... this conversation is definitely over.

I hope AI gets in King's head before the deadline. I'm glad he said something. And if he has to leave philly to win, so be it, he's done enough on his own.

- Homer teehee!

[edit] sixers are 5-1 when AI scores 40+
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #43
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Iverson just went off for 48 on the Bucks on 18-30 shooting while dishing out 8 assists and getting 4 steals. He's putting up some pretty impressive numbers; have to consider him for the MVP.

http://www.nba.com/games/20050301/PHIMIL/boxscore.html
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #44
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I saw the end of the game....but that was after he was done scoring....agh
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #45
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

AI has done it again. The fact that you can lead the league in points and be top 10 in assists is amazing. His only chances of winning the MVP award though is if the 6ers win the Atlantic and you'd think that would be easy but i'm starting to like this Celtics team.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:22 AM   #46
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Man.. I wouldn't take Yao over half the players in the league... let alone Iverson..
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #47
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

27-29.

The MVP ain't in Philly.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:16 AM   #48
seal614

nope but the talent level certainly has risen.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #49
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
27-29.

The MVP ain't in Philly.
Probably not, but what Iverson is doing from a statistical standpoint this season is much more impressive than the big boys...after all, I think TD, KG, Dirk and CWebb have pretty much shown throughout the past few years that getting 20+ and 10+ as an average really isn't that rare in today's NBA.

But someone scoring 30 and handing out 8 assists per game (if AI is up to that level in the assist category)? Last guy to do that was Jordan, and he didn't even win the MVP that year (secondhand info. --- I didn't look it up) because Magic averaged 25 and 13 assists, or something ridiculous.

4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:46 AM   #50
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

When I first looked, he had 45 Points & 7 Assists with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter!! Philly was leading by 20 at that point... if the game was closer, I thought, he'd easily break his record for the season (60points).

Statistically, my MVP picks are: AI, Lebron, Dirk, Amare, Nash.
Best player on elite teams, my MVP picks are: Nash, TD, Dirk, Shaq, Lebron

Combine the two, Dirk's my MVP. He's putting up numbers and helping his team win under the most difficult of times such as, losing his PG of last 6 yrs, playing alongside 9 new teammates, no consistency at PG or Center positions (due to injuries or ineffective play), head coach out for 10 games, his own injuries, etc. Dirk is the only constant on this team and he's single-handedly put the Mavs in position to finish near 57-58wins for the year. That to me is MVP play.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #51
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
27-29.

The MVP ain't in Philly.

Let the 6ers win the Atlantic and I guarantee AI wins MVP.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #52
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If current trends continue, it would only require a 42-40 record to top the Atlantic.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #53
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

AI...best under 6'4 player ever?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #54
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Isiah and Stockton might have something to say about that.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #55
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
My understanding is that Calvin Murphy at 5'9" was quite a playuh.

I'd also seriously consider Tiny Archibald who did something like 34ppg/10apg early 1970s. While the team he was on in those years was about as mediocre as AI's Sixers, Tiny did manage to win a championship later on with the Celtics while playing a lesser role.

And also Mr. Logo, Jerry West only went about 6.3.

Both of these guys had championships, whilst Mr. Iverson in all likelihood will not.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #56
seal614

why under 6'4" how about under 6"0"?

Tough to argue with that, and AI listed at 6' is a joke.

AI could try and grab a championship playing a lesser role, or on somebody else's back but I respect him for sticking with his team: good or bad. Not a lot of players can say that.

As far as "all-time" there is only one thing about AI that is not debate-able. He is one of the all time greatest scorers.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:41 PM   #57
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I can't go against Isaiah. He easily could have averaged 35 a game if he had wanted. However, the Pistons played team ball and won as a team. He took over at the end of games when it was close. He was absolutely unstoppable. A tremendous player excellent both offensively and defensively. Not to mention he won 2 titles.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #58
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Funny stat of the night:

In a blowout to Golden State at home (ouch) A.I. had just as many turnovers as Cwebb had FGA - TWELVE!

CWebb was HEAVILY booed by the Philly crowd in the fourth quarter.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #59
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

I have never really liked AI very much. Yes he can score but I think he is tremendously overrated. I just don't see what others do. Very good player but will never win a title and can't play with other good players. Sure he can in all star games but not over the course of a season. Not a fan of his.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #60
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

some days he's phenomenal, some days he shoots 37.5%, and has 11 turnovers.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #61
seal614

uh... bump? Beating Miami with 38 and 16.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:13 PM   #62
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't bother to read much of this thread, but I bet know exactly what was on it. Some of you love Iverson, with good reason, and the rest of you complain that he's a ballhog and has a bad FG% and commits too many turnovers. I don't feel like typing the same crap all over again so I'll just copy and paste and earlier post of mine.

I really hate to hear people bash Allen Iverson. I understand it, I expect it, but I hate it. I know he's always had a horrible field goal percentage, always taken a LOT of shots, and always always had the ball. However, the idea that he's not a truly amazing player is just flat out wrong. He is one of the greatest players of all time, and is definately a hall of famer. Easily the greatest player ever under 6 feet. Yeah, the guy always has the ball, but that's the way he's always been coached. Throughout his career, the coaching staff, and the entire 76'ers organization have built everything around AI. All of their hopes, their dreams, their expectations for success, they have rested entirely on Allen Iverson's shoulders. The 76'ers have some of the worst management in the NBA. They've had Iverson for like 8 years now, and whatever help they rarely had for him, they traded away. When a player has the ball in their hands that much, and they have little to nothing around him, of course he's going to have a horrible FG% and a lot of turnovers. Magic Johnson almost always led the league in turnovers, was he a ball hog? Of course not, the offense was just always centered through him, same with AI. Now of course you can argue that his style of play subtracts from his teammates, and you probably have a good point. But Iverson has never had anywhere near enough help on that team. When great players play on lousy teams, they always look like selfish ballhogs that never want to share the ball or get their team mates involved (even if they average more than 7 assists which AI does) People said the same thing about Tracy McGrady in Orlando, and they were wrong. This season, the Sixers have several young promising players, that seem to have good chemistry without Iverson. But that does not mean he's not a phenominal player. To equate him to Baron Davis is just stupid. His speed is truly incredible, and his ability to cross-over his defender and dribble penetatrate all the way for a layup is simply breathtaking. Not to mention that he's an amazing on-the-ball and off-the-ball defender. (How many times has he led the league in steals?) He also has incredible heart, and determination. Nobody in the NBA plays harder than Allen Iverson. He goes out their every night and pushes himself to his very limit. Now, I agree that AI does not deserve MVP this year, solely because of the Sixers' record. If the Sixers had a better record though, he would unquestionably be MVP.

Allen Iverson is just one of those players you either like or don't. Partly for his game, mostly for his attitude. Some say he's a punk, others, like me, say he's a badass. For everyone who complains about AI being a ballhog, and not being a team player, you probably didn't watch that Miami game last night. 16 assists. One of them was off of an amazing steal of an inbound pass, to Kyle Kover for 3. Iverson IS the man.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #63
seal614

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
To equate him to Baron Davis is just stupid. His speed is truly incredible, and his ability to cross-over his defender and dribble penetatrate all the way for a layup is simply breathtaking. Not to mention that he's an amazing on-the-ball and off-the-ball defender. (How many times has he led the league in steals?) He also has incredible heart, and determination. Nobody in the NBA plays harder than Allen Iverson. He goes out their every night and pushes himself to his very limit. Now, I agree that AI does not deserve MVP this year, solely because of the Sixers' record. If the Sixers had a better record though, he would unquestionably be MVP.

Allen Iverson is just one of those players you either like or don't. Partly for his game, mostly for his attitude. Some say he's a punk, others, like me, say he's a badass. For everyone who complains about AI being a ballhog, and not being a team player, you probably didn't watch that Miami game last night. 16 assists. One of them was off of an amazing steal of an inbound pass, to Kyle Kover for 3. Iverson IS the man.

Thank you spiral... AI does it again tonight... 43 and 7? He can ballhog me ANY NIGHT
Old 04-16-2005, 03:05 AM   #64
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

7assists and only 5TO. I guess no one is perfect.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:13 AM   #65
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
7assists and only 5TO. I guess no one is perfect.
See earlier post:

When a player has the ball in their hands that much, and they have little to nothing around him, of course he's going to have a horrible FG% and a lot of turnovers. Magic Johnson almost always led the league in turnovers, was he a ball hog? Of course not, the offense was just always centered through him, same with AI.

I really can't help but laugh when people say Iverson is overrated. He's about to lead the league in scoring for the 4th time. Only 2 or 3 other players have ever done that. Michael Jordan, and Wilt Chamberlain were two of them. That's pretty elite company isn't it? Iverson is also about to average in the top 5 in points, assists and steals. You know how many other players have done that in NBA history? NONE!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:27 AM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

and that makes him perfect?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:35 AM   #67
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

no, it makes him a phenominal player.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:42 AM   #68
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

Thank you spiral... AI does it again tonight... 43 and 7? He can ballhog me ANY NIGHT
Another point that neither of us mention; THE GUY IS PLAYING HURT!! He's been doing this all season. Both of his thumbs have been badly hurt, yet the guy goes out, puts up 38 and 16, and the very next night he puts up 43 and 7.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #69
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Grittiest competitor I've ever seen on a basketball court. Ever.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
no, it makes him a phenominal player.
well then why argue against me when I said he wasnt perfect?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #71
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of argument is "he's not perfect?"
Old 04-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #72
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I didnt know it was an argument, I just pointed out that he wasnt perfect and the AI homers jumped all over it and turned it into an argument.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #73
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

it's always an arguement here...
Old 04-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #74
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I didnt know it was an argument, I just pointed out that he wasnt perfect and the AI homers jumped all over it and turned it into an argument.
Did anyone ever claim that he was perfect? And did it add anything at all to the discussion to point out that he--much like every other basketball player who ever stepped on the hardwood--is not perfect?

Old 04-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #75
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

So very on edge, chum. So very on edge.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #76
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

lol, relax people. Erica, when you said "nobody's perfect" I didn't think you literally ment that. I just thought that was a sarcastic way of saying he's overrated. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether someone is being sarcastic or not when you can't hear the tone of their voice. I was merely making a comment about the turnovers. I never meant to imply that AI was "perfect."
Old 04-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #77
seal614

toss a little gas on the fire~

AI with 39 12ast 7rb and 4stl to clinch a playoff berth for the sixers.

Averaged somewhere in the mid 40's against the bucks all season. Nice way to clinch.

Shooting for the 6th seed with a hopeful win over ATL and even more hopeful Indy loss.

6th seed and AI deserves some MVP consideration (top 3-4) if he keeps playing like this.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #78
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

At the end of last season, back when Iverson was talking about getting traded out of Philly, and the Mavs still had Nash, I was trying to figure out how some type of trade with Philly involving Iverson and Nash could be brokered.

There's a reason I'm not a GM in the NBA. Both teams seems to have figured out what was best for them this year without my help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #79
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Wow.. he's not perfect.. that's the lamest argument I've ever heard...
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #80
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
Wow.. he's not perfect.. that's the lamest argument I've ever heard...
this is my nomination for lamest "contribution"