Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #41
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: The Mavericks suck....

It's hard to get a big name FA without cap room, ability to offer heavy minutes in an important role, and a starting gig. All three of those weigh heavily with FAs. What about Greg Buckner? Anyone want him back to fill in at the 2 as a defensive player?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #42
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

It's hard to get a big name FA without cap room, ability to offer heavy minutes in an important role, and a starting gig. All three of those weigh heavily with FAs. What about Greg Buckner? Anyone want him back to fill in at the 2 as a defensive player?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 AM   #43
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:The Mavericks suck....

Bringing in big names in the off season doesn't always make a team better. Last time we did that, we got the Antwoinnes.
I'd say its a sucess if we get through free agency without giving away any young talent for some old 7 footer we hope finds Dkembe's fountain of youth.
I'm not sure we aren't better at backup center splitting minutes between Mbenga and PPod. Both have potential to be better than Hunter or Grant or Mutombo, or most of the names we keep hearing. But they will never get better until they get on the damned court.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 AM   #44
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Bringing in big names in the off season doesn't always make a team better. Last time we did that, we got the Antwoinnes.
I'd say its a sucess if we get through free agency without giving away any young talent for some old 7 footer we hope finds Dkembe's fountain of youth.
I'm not sure we aren't better at backup center splitting minutes between Mbenga and PPod. Both have potential to be better than Hunter or Grant or Mutombo, or most of the names we keep hearing. But they will never get better until they get on the damned court.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #45
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: G-Man
I'm not sure we aren't better at backup center splitting minutes between Mbenga and PPod. Both have potential to be better than Hunter or Grant or Mutombo, or most of the names we keep hearing.
Yep, Mavs would have beaten Phoenix last year if only their backup centers had more potential.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #46
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm not sure we aren't better at backup center splitting minutes between Mbenga and PPod. Both have potential to be better than Hunter or Grant or Mutombo, or most of the names we keep hearing.
Yep, Mavs would have beaten Phoenix last year if only their backup centers had more potential.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #47
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
PPod is absolutely not NBA ready. I think it is unlikely you will see any minutes from him that aren't in form of a human victory cigar. Mbenga on the other hand is ready to contribute, yes. My guess is that he'll get a Henderson like minutes.

vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #48
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

PPod will be an NBADL guy period.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #49
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

if we can spend 2million and get a backup center on a 1 year contract that is reliable but not flashy and wouldnt mind splitting the 2nd string with MBenga depending on M'Benga's play, then Im all for it.

Elson is too good and will be locked up for more money and a longer period than we would want. Diop is a work in progress (and a train wreck)

The two guys available that speak to me are Mikki Moore-- mr hardworking, and Ervin Johnson who frankly sucks, but would be a decent backup to Damp when M'Benga isnt doing too well, that wouldnt cost a lot of money and couldnt demand a 2-3 year contract. None of these guys are a fantasy team owners dream, but I think it's way better to think of a reliable, 1 year insurance patch than to dream about a long term, flashy contributer.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #50
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

The Mavericks suck in the free agency, it's true.

And everytime this happens I get disappointed. But I will keep the faith.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #51
jopimokeeluvimanysl

jopimokeeluvimanysl is on a distinguished road

All along, the unsophisticated readers have thought that the Mavs were getting their “athletic” center and their backup up power-forward. But the day has come and the truth has been laid out for Mavs fan to see that they have been TRICKED! They have been mislead into a world of fantasy in thinking that they could somehow have mysteriously snatched the hearts of Robert Big Shot Bob and Dikembe Mutumbo away from their teams.

The situation has led experts to doubt Cuban’s commitment to this team and the sincerity of Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban to Mavs fans after witnessing the staged news reports of these fantasy trades. More realistic trades as Donnie and Cuban all along have known were the ones presented to fans today. They include third tier centers: Diop, Moore, and Johnson.

My question to the Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson is: Who are you trying to fool?
jopimokeeluvimanysl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:20 AM   #52
Red-Phase

Red-Phase is on a distinguished road

and exactly how many good centers are there in the nba?
Red-Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #53
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jopimokeeluvimanysl
All along, the unsophisticated readers have thought that the Mavs were getting their “athletic” center and their backup up power-forward. But the day has come and the truth has been laid out for Mavs fan to see that they have been TRICKED! They have been mislead into a world of fantasy in thinking that they could somehow have mysteriously snatched the hearts of Robert Big Shot Bob and Dikembe Mutumbo away from their teams.

The situation has led experts to doubt Cuban’s commitment to this team and the sincerity of Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban to Mavs fans after witnessing the staged news reports of these fantasy trades. More realistic trades as Donnie and Cuban all along have known were the ones presented to fans today. They include third tier centers: Diop, Moore, and Johnson.

Your mother...
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #54
Joey

I think Dub and EL have the right ideas here. First of all there isn't enough money to get big time free agents here because of the cap and due to the fact that they want long term contracts. Tony Cubes is a very smart business man. He will be able to get free agents when he needs them.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Old 08-14-2005, 12:19 AM   #55
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How about keeping the team as is and letting them play another year?
I would like to see this for once...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:41 AM   #56
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

If you were a promising free agent, why would you want to play for the Mavs? We are stacked at nearly every position already. You would want to go somewhere where you had a good chance of starting. If you were good enough to star for the Mavs, then you probably aren't going to be swayed by the MLE.

I think Christie woud be an excellent acquisition as he will offer great defense at his positions, is getting paid by Orlando anyway and wants to win a championship. We don't want to make any moves just so we can have something to point at this summer. Sometimes the best deals may be the ones you don't make.
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #57
Joey

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
How about keeping the team as is and letting them play another year?
I would like to see this for once...
Amen brother.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #58
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: jopimokeeluvimanysl

New kid comes along and starts the anti-Mav trolling right out of the chute? Go home.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #59
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

to whoever is agreeing with this thread topic,

You are the suck.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:05 PM   #60
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Overreacting. At least we didn't lose a 24 year old Joe Johnson.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 AM   #61
gsxr-1k-ryder

gsxr-1k-ryder is on a distinguished road

i read an article a month or so ago, before free agency started that said the mavs were looking to be big players in the free agency department.
what is going on? i'm not talking about 1st tier players. I think we should keep the core of the team. but we need some backup guys.
and what's with the old age generation? dikembe , puh-lease. he might've been good, what, 30 years ago?

and what is up with desagana diop talk? for someone who was drafted 8th overall, he is a complete bust. why would dallas want him?
and we need to cut ties with pavel podkolzine right now. from the stuff i've seen of him, he isn't even 3rd string center material.

I would like to see dallas go after mikki moore. i know he might not be the most gifted, but dude plays hard and with emotion. might be a good fit. gotta be better than diop.
gsxr-1k-ryder is offline   Reply With Quote