Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #41
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:a simple finley poll....come be accounted for

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Here's Cuban's blog for next year:

I honestly felt bad about waiving/trading Finley. I mean, i tried for the past three or four years to buy this franchise a championship and please these ungrateful, whiny little fans by overpaying for about half of my player's roster. What else could i have done. In the 04-05 season, we had everything good going for ourselves. We were two deep at every position. Maybe over-spending's not the way to go, b/c if my team starts to play bad, we'd have no way out. Maybe i should try to map out a strategic plan, and hope for the best, b/c that's what a championship team does.
As far as I know, Cuban has never believed in having a "srategic plan," in any of his businesses. He is on record as saying that he prefers to change course at any time, as the tides change around him.

And of course, his track record here bears that out. Last summer was a perfect example. Don't sign Nash to a long-term deal because you don't do that with older players, because you won't ever be able to trade them. Then less than two months later, sign Dampier to an even worse and longer-term deal.

If your strategy changes 180 degrees in a handful of weeks...well, let's just say that I wouldn't be holding out hope for any long-term vision.

Cubes is a product of the tech industry. Things happen very quickly. Sign on, ramp up, cash out, move on.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #42
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I don't see a deal happening. Fins my favorite Mav but why are we getting rid of him again? So we won't have to pay him the the 102 million he'd be getting since we are over the luxury tax. Now if a guy who is willing to spend to win a championship doesn't want to pay the salary then who in their right mind will? Just don't see it. We lose another starter and get squat in return. I wonder how long this trend will last.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #43
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
There's still the outside chance that Fin is neither traded nor waived.
Nelson has pretty much closed the door on them keeping FIn.
And we've never known Nelson to go back on what he's said in public before have we?

Just to be a contrarian, I'll say Fin is still under contract to the Mavs at 12:01 AM tomorrow moring.

There's something fishy about the information that has come out to the public. Its sort of as if the Mavs are feeding the media one thing but are planning on doing something else. I'm not sure exactly what could be behind their reasoning of trying to get everyone to believe they will trade or waive Finley but it seems a bit forced.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #44
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I won't be surprised either way, but I think that the Indiana deal will happen. Fin for Pollard/Croshere just makes too much sense for both teams not to happen IMO. It works salary-wise, we get our backup C and they get their shooter.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #45
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: a simple finley poll....come be accounted for

Well, lets see... if you take back Croshere and Pollard, that means Cuban will pay about $25 million in luxury tax over the next few years for the salary he takes back. Then you factor in the $6M in tax he'll pay for Doug Christie to replace Finley and we're up to $31M. Then factor in the $15M of luxury tax the team could save if it excersized the amnesty clause on Bradley instead of Finley and the number gets up to $46M, which is only $5M less than what it would have cost the team in luxury tax money to keep Finley in the first place.

In the new era, trades don't have to make sense from a basketball perspective in order to get done. They have to makes sense from a Cuban's bank account perspective. This trade doesn't.

Of course, we've known Cuban to change his philosophy on building this team at the blink of an eye... so who knows.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #46
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I have another thought...

If the Mavs cut Dampier, it could save the team $61M in luxury tax. Do the Finley deal with Indy, cut Dampier, and be completely under the cap at the end of NEXT year.

PG: Terry / Harris / Daniels
SG: Stackhouse / Christie / Daniels
SF: J. Howard / Christie / Croshere
PF: Dirk / Van Horn / Croshere
C: Pollard / Dirk / MBenga

It's not going to win any championships, but it will probably get us to the playoffs... and we'll be in much better position to add to the team in 2007.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If you watched the Mavs in these last playoffs, you might be inclined to believe that Pollard is only a very marginal dropoff from Dampier at the center spot.

I wonder what in the hell we are going to do with Damp's contract in three years or so when it's time for Dirk to get his max deal and for all the kids to get paid? Who in the world could we trade it to?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #48
madape
Diamond Member

according to Eddie Sefko, we tried to dump Dampier at the trade deadline last year. Apparently, we changed our minds and decided to keep him (and were rewarded with one of the most embarassing performances by a center if playoff history).

That trade might have been the only chance we'll ever have to get rid of him.

Well... that and today.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #49
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
If you watched the Mavs in these last playoffs, you might be inclined to believe that Pollard is only a very marginal dropoff from Dampier at the center spot.

I wonder what in the hell we are going to do with Damp's contract in three years or so when it's time for Dirk to get his max deal and for all the kids to get paid? Who in the world could we trade it to?
Doesn't matter if we trade it to someone unless they are far enough under the cap to absorb it without giving us any or at least very little salary back in return.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #50
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Finley timeline

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Dec. 26, 1996: Mavericks acquire Finley from Phoenix with Sam Cassell, A.C. Green and a second-round draft choice for Jason Kidd, Tony Dumas and Loren Meyer.

April 19, 1997: Plays in his 83rd game of an 82-game regular season, one of only three players in NBA history to do so; made possible by the trade.

Summer 1997: Is handpicked by Michael Jordan to wear a line of Jordan's athletic apparel.

Oct. 31, 1997: Begins a string of four consecutive seasons in which he will would start every game.

Jan. 27, 1998: Posts a then-career-high 39 points in an 84-77 win over Cleveland at Reunion Arena.

April 14, 1998: Notches his first of six career triple-doubles (23 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists).

April 20, 1999: Scores his 5,000th career point during a 36-point night against Phoenix.

Aug. 2, 1999: Sings "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the seventh-inning stretch at Wrigley Field during a Chicago Cubs game.

Dec. 23, 1999: Hands out career-high 13 assists at Phoenix.

Feb. 6, 2000: Named NBA player of the week for averaging 26.5 points, eight rebounds and 6.3 assists.

Feb. 13, 2000: Plays in first All-Star Game, scoring 11 points in 10 minutes.

April 19, 2000: Finishes season averaging 42.2 minutes per game, most in the NBA. He ranks 11th in scoring at 22.6 points per game, his career high.

October 2000: Is named a co-captain of the Mavericks.

Jan. 23, 2001: Records franchise-record 10 steals against Philadelphia.

Feb. 11, 2001: Plays in second All-Star Game, scoring 12 points in 19 minutes.

July 23, 2001: Signs seven-year contract worth $102 million.

Oct. 30, 2001: Makes the first slam dunk in American Airlines Center history, with 8:29 to play in the second quarter.

March 23, 2002: Scores 10,000th point in 111-100 win over Memphis.

August 2002: Plays for U.S. in World Championships of Basketball.

Nov. 19, 2002: Grabs career-high 15 rebounds against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Nov. 27, 2002: Scores career-best 42 points in 102-82 win at Detroit, the Mavericks' 14th win in a row to start the season.

November 2002: Named NBA player of the month along with teammates Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash.

May 27, 2003: Has 31 points and eight rebounds in Game 5 victory over San Antonio at SBC Center.

Sept. 3, 2003: Daughter Mikah is born.

Jan. 18, 2004: Named NBA names him player of the week for the third time.

March 13, 2004: Has season-high-tying 38 points at Phoenix, tying his season high.

Nov. 9, 2004: Suffers sprained right ankle against Orlando. He misses the next 15 games.

Feb. 17, 2005: Scores season-high-tying 33 points, tying his season high, in a 19-113 win at Phoenix.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #51
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

74/54 voting for the waive

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:54 PM   #52
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

damn. I'm so pissed right now.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:08 AM   #53
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
according to Eddie Sefko, we tried to dump Dampier at the trade deadline last year. Apparently, we changed our minds and decided to keep him (and were rewarded with one of the most embarassing performances by a center if playoff history).

That trade might have been the only chance we'll ever have to get rid of him.

Well... that and today.
Eddie said that a deal was offered for Dampier by another team.

Damp was better against Amare than Mohammed was, go hate on Nazr or something.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote