Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #41
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
yeah youd have to play kg as a 3, dirk cant guard the smaller, quicker players

we would never ever losing the rebounding battle
actually dirk can guard the smaller quicker players its just that kg would most likely be better at it. You know who did the best job of guarding andre iguodala for the mavs? Dirk. dirk is at worst the second best perimeter defender among pfs(behind kg)
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #42
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm
without bradley (why is he still on there?) and finley we are at like 58mil for next season so we still have some wiggle room if you expect next years salary cap to be around 10% higher than this years it'll be at 58 mil and the tax cap at around 72 mil.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #43
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Who is Ndudi Ebi?
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #44
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Josh is a good kid and a very good player. Garnett, however, is one of the 50 greatest players of all time.

Having 4 of the greatest players of all time really helpped the Lakers a couple of years ago didn't it?

This thread reminds me of a few years ago when we all would debate the possible signing of Rashard Lewis and Michael Redd...to go along with 'toine and Tawn and Dirk and Nash and Fin and Mantis and TAW...You know what happened to those talks...they too sounded great but shortly died.

You can't argue that this team as is currently constituted is a contender for what seems to be a few more years. KG is great. I'd love to pick him up via free agency after he opts out next year when all he really wants is a championship...but not under his current deal and not at the expense of the team we have now.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #45
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
Having 4 of the greatest players of all time really helpped the Lakers a couple of years ago didn't it?

This thread reminds me of a few years ago when we all would debate the possible signing of Rashard Lewis and Michael Redd...to go along with 'toine and Tawn and Dirk and Nash and Fin and Mantis and TAW...You know what happened to those talks...they too sounded great but shortly died.

You can't argue that this team as is currently constituted is a contender for what seems to be a few more years. KG is great. I'd love to pick him up via free agency after he opts out next year when all he really wants is a championship...but not under his current deal and not at the expense of the team we have now.
kg is in a different world than any of those players. plus he happens to be able to defend.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #46
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
actually dirk can guard the smaller quicker players its just that kg would most likely be better at it. You know who did the best job of guarding andre iguodala for the mavs? Dirk. dirk is at worst the second best perimeter defender among pfs(behind kg)
Since when can Dirk cover smaller quicker players? The only way this trade works is if KG plays Center and Dirk PF. It would be a very scary team if we had both Dirk and KG. You have one guy who can hit from anywhere and the other who can post up just about anybody. A two man game between the two could be amazing.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #47
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenG
Since when can Dirk cover smaller quicker players? The only way this trade works is if KG plays Center and Dirk PF. It would be a very scary team if we had both Dirk and KG. You have one guy who can hit from anywhere and the other who can post up just about anybody. A two man game between the two could be amazing.
since thats what hes been asked to do his entire career???
Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #48
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
since thats what hes been asked to do his entire career???
The point being that most consider Dirk's defense suspect. I don't consider Dirk a good defender on smaller guys. In fact, I would much rather Dirk use his bigger frame to guard bigger guys then try and defend smaller quick guys which I think has led to him being blasted for his D for so long.

If this trade went down, and KG played PF and Dirk SF, Dirk would not be able to keep up with many of the SF in the NBA on a nightly basis. All I am saying is that Dirk would have to play PF and KG to center for this to work. If not then you would have nightly mismatches on the defensive end with Damp, KG and Dirk all in the starting lineup. It would never work.

Last edited by DarenG; 04-18-2007 at 05:59 PM.
DarenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #49
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenG
The point being that most consider Dirk's defense suspect. I don't consider Dirk a good defender on smaller guys. In fact, I would much rather Dirk use his bigger frame to guard bigger guys then try and defend smaller quick guys which I think has led to him being blasted for his D for so long.

If this trade went down, and KG played PF and Dirk SF, Dirk would not be able to keep up with many of the SF in the NBA on a nightly basis. All I am saying is that Dirk would have to play PF and KG to center for this to work. If not then you would have nightly mismatches on the defensive end with Damp, KG and Dirk all in the starting lineup. It would never work.
kg would be better on the perimeter as i already mentioned but dirk is blasted for his defense because people are idiots that dont actually watch basketball games. He garnered the reputation when he was young. the only position dirk really struggles to guard is pg which he happens to do alot because we switch so much.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 AM   #50
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Would Minni take Ager for a case of beer?
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #51
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

If that trade was ever on the table I think we would have had to take it, however, under only those conditions would I have accepted that deal. I would be very hesitant to give up what it would take to get Garnett this off-season. Plus, Howard is now excelling to All-Star status and this pieces are coming together beautifully.

If we did make the trade our depth chart would have to look something like this:
Damp/ Diop
Dirk / Willis / Pops
KG / George
Terry / Buckner / Ager
Harris / JJB

Edit: Man, that is one SCARY lineup. Could easily win the title for the next 3-plus years.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 04-19-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote