Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

"If Dirk puts up similar numbers this season, he is due for an MVP award and if he retires from the NBA without one, it will be an injustice."

Amen.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Well if you can't make a case for him after he led his team to a championship, not sure what will than.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Wade leads Kobe in finals MVPs 1-0 and is clearly the leader and best player on the defending NBA champs.

Kobe hasn't been out of the first round in 2 years.

Personally, I would definitely take Wade and LeBron over Kobe. Not that Kobe isn't the best scorer I have ever seen when he's on (including Jordan) but those 3 guys are close, and a good case can be made for LeBron and Wade over Kobe.

I wonder how high Dirk would have been on those rankings if he had managed to win 2 more playoff games?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Maybe but I wouldn't go as far to say that Miami is a one man team, they're pretty loaded. The Lakers definatley have no one but #24 and the Cavs have a overrated Hughes and the King. Also Nash was #5 on the list.

1. Wade
2. Lebron
3. Kobe
4. Dirk
5. Nash
6. TD
7. AI
8. KG
9. Arenas
10. Carmelo

The next 5:
TMAC
CP
Marion
Pierce
Brand

IMO thats about as good of a list for the top 10 players in the nba that I've ever seen.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
Maybe but I wouldn't go as far to say that Miami is a one man team, they're pretty loaded. The Lakers definatley have no one but #24 and the Cavs have a overrated Hughes and the King. Also Nash was #5 on the list.

1. Wade
2. Lebron
3. Kobe
4. Dirk
5. Nash
6. TD
7. AI
8. KG
9. Arenas
10. Carmelo

The next 5:
TMAC
CP
Marion
Pierce
Brand

IMO thats about as good of a list for the top 10 players in the nba that I've ever seen.
Nash over duncan and its as good of a list as youve seen? You my friend need to look at some better top 10 lists. Also i like melo and arenas but they arent better than brand. Also, The lakers arent number 24 and a bunch of scrubs. They are Kobe, Odom, and several good role players.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe but I wouldn't go as far to say that Miami is a one man team, they're pretty loaded.
Not that Miami is a one-man team, but that LeBron, Kobe & Wade don't really need a team behind them to make them effective (and when they do - look the @#$% out!) These three might be the only three players in the league today that nobody has an answer for, whereas Dirk is pretty unstoppable, but only if his team creates the right circumstances for him to unleash his fury...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Not that Miami is a one-man team, but that LeBron, Kobe & Wade don't really need a team behind them to make them effective (and when they do - look the @#$% out!) These three might be the only three players in the league today that nobody has an answer for, whereas Dirk is pretty unstoppable, but only if his team creates the right circumstances for him to unleash his fury...
No, it's just that Wade, Lebron and Kobe HAVE to take over the games for their team to have a chance. so they go into every game with the mentality of taking over the game. Dirk on the other hand just does what his team needs. When they need him to take over, he can, and delivers. When they need him to just play within the offense, he can do that well too. Kob, Lebron, and Wade can't do that very well at all.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
No, it's just that Wade, Lebron and Kobe HAVE to take over the games for their team to have a chance. so they go into every game with the mentality of taking over the game. Dirk on the other hand just does what his team needs. When they need him to take over, he can, and delivers. When they need him to just play within the offense, he can do that well too. Kob, Lebron, and Wade can't do that very well at all.

Yeah, that's what I meant by Dirk being more of "team player" - Wade doesn't have to carry his team, but take away his co-stars & he'd be in the same position as LeBron & Kobe...

Last edited by Underdog; 09-26-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
It's not that kobe and lebron can't do that it's just that they don't have the talent around them to do it with. Wade IMO does that, he's made some incredible passes especially the behind the back pass in the playoffs. That was legendary.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

You have to admit the Lakers wouldn't have made the playoffs if it wasn't for the former #8 and his amazing scoring ability. Nash just got done winning his 2nd MVP (although controversial) which puts him in some elite company. Nash has become the face of the Suns and has helped a lot of players have career years. Duncan is still amazing but he quite isn't what he used to be, it might have been the injury, but who knows for now? Also I think a lot of GM's would take Arenas and Melo over Brand right now. Arenas is on the crisp of superstardom for many years to come imo and Melo is as clutch as you can get.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You have to admit the Lakers wouldn't have made the playoffs if it wasn't for the former #8 and his amazing scoring ability. Nash just got done winning his 2nd MVP (although controversial) which puts him in some elite company. Nash has become the face of the Suns and has helped a lot of players have career years. Duncan is still amazing but he quite isn't what he used to be, it might have been the injury, but who knows for now? Also I think a lot of GM's would take Arenas and Melo over Brand right now. Arenas is on the crisp of superstardom for many years to come imo and Melo is as clutch as you can get.
Except for the playoffs... Wow, ive gone from arguing against brand earlier to arguing for him now. Weird.. As for the lakers, no they wouldnt have made the playoffs without kobe but the mavs wouldnt have made the playoffs without dirk either same goes for the Cavs with bron, and both teams won more games than the lakers did.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #12
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I cannot take dime seriously at all... they have the worst posters there as well. Wade ahead of Lebron and Dirk? Debateable... you can let it slide. But Kobe? How? I need justification, I cant comprehend how Wade is better in any way, the only reason i'd think about picking him is because hes younger, but right now not better than Kobe (and since I would be basing off that I would take Lebron hands down). And then we have Nash over Duncan, KG, Iverson, ...etc.? Ludacris as much as I love Nash.

I mean they even have Chris Paul ahead of Marion, Pierce, Brand, and Yao (who from the shown parts of list isint even on it!) and TMac ahead of all those names even though he missed loads of the season. I'm going to stop, just thinking about it is frustrating.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #13
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

They said Kobe should have won the mvp last year and praised the hell out of him and said it was close but had to give it to wade since he just got a ring and had an amazing finals series. Can't disagree with that.

"So why not the top spot for Kobe?"

They say something about proving he can win it all without shaq and mentioned the game 7 against the suns in which he didn't show up at all.

And for Wade they say he had an amazing finals series despite what people say about the calls and that he shot 61% against the Pistons in a 6 game series.

"The measure of a ballplayer is whether or not you would want that guy on your team when you need to win a game. At this point who can argue that D-Wade wouldn't be their No.1 pick?"

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 09-27-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
They said Kobe should have won the mvp last year and praised the hell out of him and said it was close but had to give it to wade since he just got a ring and had an amazing finals series. Can't disagree with that.

"So why not the top spot for Kobe?"

They say something about proving he can win it all without shaq and mentioned the game 7 against the suns in which he didn't show up at all.

And for Wade they say he had an amazing finals series despite what people say about the calls and that he shot 61% against the Pistons in a 6 game series.

"The measure of a ballplayer is whether or not you would want that guy on your team when you need to win a game. At this point who can argue that D-Wade wouldn't be their No.1 pick?"
Kobe winning mvp would have almost been worse than nash winning mvp. Dirk or Lebron should have won mvp last year and no one else. The fact that someone else did is a testament to how idiotic the voters are...
Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Kobe winning mvp would have almost been worse than nash winning mvp. Dirk or Lebron should have won mvp last year and no one else. The fact that someone else did is a testament to how idiotic the voters are...

The one thing that LeBron & Dirk both did last year was solidify their positions as team leaders [not that they weren't leaders before, but they stepped up to an elite level last year & brought their teams up with them]...

Old 09-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #16
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Quote:
I agree with that, I'm just pointing out that they aren't just hating on kobe by not putting him #1.

Anyone disagree with that quote?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I agree with that, I'm just pointing out that they aren't just hating on kobe by not putting him #1.

Anyone disagree with that quote?
with or without the nba finals officials?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
Underdog

Quote:
with or without the nba finals officials?
those guys...

Last edited by Underdog; 09-27-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 AM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe = basketbal god

in the Greek sense...you know, a god that screwing mortals and getting in trouble for it...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

f*ck brand
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
f*ck brand
boy, you really are a poor speller.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 AM   #22
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
boy, you really are a poor speller.
lol

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #23
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, it's been a while since I was last on here. But this is a joke. Dirk is clearly tops right now.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #24
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
Wow, it's been a while since I was last on here. But this is a joke. Dirk is clearly tops right now.

Welcome back - as you can see, people are getting a bit antsy about the season starting [the collective chaos is somehow convincing people that Brand is better than Dirk at the 4, even though these same people will concede that only Kobe, Wade & LeBron are better than Dirk overall...]

Old 09-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #25
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
Good to see you back, and I totally agree.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #26
xmuzjb

xmuzjb is on a distinguished road

brand ahead of dirk?? Give me a break!
xmuzjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #27
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmuzjb
brand ahead of dirk?? Give me a break!

harumph!

Last edited by Underdog; 09-30-2006 at 09:24 PM.