Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-18-2007, 02:21 AM   #41
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Honestly, who would you least rather see, among NBA players, in a dark alley?
John Amaechi.
Dirkgreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #42
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

that win against boston sure looks better now after the spurs lost to them at home and the suns dropped 2 in a row.
Lor20
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #43
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs hoping to regain health

By ART GARCIA
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

DALLAS -- When it comes to health, the Mavericks really don't have any complaints this season.

The roster has remained relatively intact other than the garden-variety sprains and pulls. Of the top six in minutes, only two -- Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse -- have missed more than one game.

Though they've avoided the major injury, outside of third-string center DJ Mbenga, those nagging setbacks are starting to add up. Devean George and Greg Buckner are both out with knee sprains, with their returns uncertain.

Without the two defensive-minded swingmen, the Mavs struggled guarding Boston forward Paul Pierce, especially in the first half of Friday night's 106-101 comeback win at American Airlines Center.

"When you don't have Devean George and Buckner out there guarding guys like Paul Pierce, it's different," coach Avery Johnson said.

Johnson added that Stackhouse did an excellent job on the Celtics' leading scorer in the second half. Pierce scored 10 of his 29 points after the break.

Buckner injured his left knee for the second time in less than a month in Wednesday's loss to Phoenix. He experienced swelling behind the knee; an MRI test Thursday showed no major damage.

"It's definitely not serious, but we are concerned about it because it happened a couple weeks ago," Buckner said.

The plan for George is to return to practice on next week's road trip, probably at the latter end. The brace he was playing with irritated his right knee.

"It's getting better. It's getting stronger," George said. "There's not a lot pain. It's just a matter of me having the strength to push off it and have the muscle firing."

Both swingmen want to get back as quickly as possible, realizing the rotation is stretched thin in their absence. But they also aren't hurrying their return, wanting to make sure they're healthy when the playoffs roll around next month.

In the meantime, Johnson needs to get a little creative. He turned to rookie guards Jose Barea and Maurice Ager in the first half against the Celtics to steal a few minutes.

"The guys that are in uniform have to play," Johnson said.

Dirk steps up

With the game on the line this time, Dirk Nowitzki wasn't fading away. Unlike the potential game-tying jumper at the end of Wednesday's double-overtime loss to Phoenix, Nowitzki took the ball to the basket in the fourth quarter against the Celtics.

He ripped through Boston for 19 of his 30 points in the final period, going perfect from the field (5 of 5) and the line (9 of 9).

"I told him in the first half we need him to get going," said Josh Howard, who tied his career high with 30 points. "He's our leader."

Nowitzki bullied his way into the lane with 47.1 seconds left, earning a pair of free throws for a 102-99 lead. He clinched the win with a jumper and a 104-99 edge with 4.8 seconds remaining.

Briefly

The Mavs leave today on a six-game road trip, their longest of the season. The trek opens Sunday afternoon at Eastern Conference-leading Detroit in a possible NBA Finals preview.

Boston wears a black band on their jerseys in honor of Dennis Johnson, who died last month. The former Celtics favorite was coaching Austin in the D-League.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #44
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Doubting Dirk? Boston sure isn't

Rivers, Pierce among Celtics praising him after his 19-point fourth

10:38 PM CDT on Saturday, March 17, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

Dirk Nowitzki's only problem of late has been his timing.

Steve Nash scored the last 10 points for Phoenix on Wednesday to force overtime in a game the Suns eventually won on national television.

MVP votes were suddenly tossed to the wind. On Friday, Nowitzki had a hand in 14 of the Mavericks' last 16 points, scoring 12 of them and assisting on a key dunk by Jerry Stackhouse.

The difference? It was against Boston in a game that, beside the Celtics' traveling media, was seen by few MVP voters.

But don't try to tell the Celtics that Nowitzki isn't MVP material.

"Oh, yeah, Dirk's an MVP," Boston coach Doc Rivers said. "They lose the other night and all of a sudden, people are saying Dirk's no longer the MVP. And that's [garbage]. He's had an unbelievable year.

"It's between two guys. It's not decided."

Paul Pierce seconded that emotion after Nowitzki broke out for 19 points in the fourth quarter, making all five of his shots.

"Those things show you how he's an MVP candidate, if not the MVP," Pierce said. "He took his time, got what he wanted and eventually took over the game."

The Mavericks couldn't agree more. Jerry Stackhouse said the performance of Nowitzki in the second half Friday was a classic. And it was Stackhouse who jump-started Nowitzki.

"Everybody was just waiting for something to happen," Stackhouse said. "Dirk really wasn't into it. He was just kind of floating. So I said, 'Come on, do your thing.' And he did it. He's the reason we won that game."

An order of ribbing, please: Stackhouse, of course, also couldn't help reminding Nowitzki that there was a time when roles were reversed.

"I used to kick Dirk's [rear]," Stackhouse said with a big grin. "When he first came into the league, he couldn't guard me. And we still have that respect factor. He knows he still can't stop me going to my right. My right shoulder, nobody in the league can stop me going that way."

But Stackhouse was quick to add that Nowitzki is the primary reason he loves playing for the Mavericks.

"A huge part of me accepting this (sixth-man) role and wanting to be in this situation is because of him," Stackhouse said. "I've played with some great players that get labeled by the media and everybody else. But as far as the only guy I feel I have a chance to win a championship with in 12 years, it's him."

Injury update: Both Greg Buckner and Devean George made the trip, but it's unlikely either will play today against Detroit. Buckner's left knee and George's right are being monitored daily, and Johnson said he's eager to get both back. However, the team is keeping the big picture in focus. Buckner and George will be given as much time as is needed to recover.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #45
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Stupid.

"With the game on the line this time, Dirk Nowitzki wasn't fading away. Unlike the potential game-tying jumper at the end of Wednesday's double-overtime loss to Phoenix, Nowitzki took the ball to the basket in the fourth quarter against the Celtics."

Usually Garcia isn't quite as stupid as Sefko (my current theory is that those two are really just one person--Garcia writes his article for the Star-Telegram and then dumbs down the article a little for the DMN--thus collecting two salaries), but this comment is idiotic. Dirk didn't have time to do anything but pull up and shoot against Phoenix.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #46
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Right on silk. Folks sitting at home don't realize that the fans have an ebb and flow to them as well. They aren't robot noisemakers screaming their heads off for 3 hours. It it were the nfl and you had 8 home games maybe, but we're talking 45+, then playoffs. No one (and I daresay yankee fans either during a regular season) are bonkers at all times.

I thought I heard a boo murmuring out there as well. The celtics really took a big swing at the mavs and the mavs were hungover is all I can say and played like it. Thank goodness the dirkster woke up or we'd be in bad shape.

As it is, we are in no worse shape than before the suns game and two more are in the books.
Another thing some of us dont think about, is that it was the "Celtics" here the other night. How easy is it to get up on a game against them Not only that, but our team was playing horrible. Now we have the worst team in the NBA here at home, plus our Mavs playing like crap...How can any fan be up for that game initially?

But once our Mavs starting playing, it felt like a playoff game there. I truly think us fans at the game have switched modes and the last few games have had a playoff game feeling to it.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #47
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I don't care what he's shooting for his career. For that matter, there is precious little he can do this year that will affect his career numbers all that much.

The guy is absolutely filling it up of late--and I'm sorry if you think his leadership is overblown, but hey...I'm just sayin'...he's the only guy on this squad who will give Kirk Snyder what's coming to him in the tunnel. Know what I mean?
He gave Kirk a mouth full Then Stack decided that was not enough and introduced Kirk to mother earth as well. To top it off, Kirk met mother earth with his back to the ground. Stack is truly our "Lionheart"..No ifs, ands or buts about it...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #48
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Please. That dude is just *begging* for a fight every time he steps on the floor. He would literally like to come to blows with most all his opponents. His record supports this, too!

Can you think of another NBA player that is more eager to kick the shit out of another player than Jerry Stackhouse is?

I'm telling you, that dude has a thirst for blood. He can get it from Kirk Snyder in a tunnel, or he can take it out of someone's ass, like he did when he went off for 30+ against the Suns.

Honestly, who would you least rather see, among NBA players, in a dark alley?
Anthony Mason Just kidding, but I saw his son play a week back and they showed him, and all I could think about is that "He was least player that ANY nba player wanted to see at ANY time"....
Old 03-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #49
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
Stupid.

"With the game on the line this time, Dirk Nowitzki wasn't fading away. Unlike the potential game-tying jumper at the end of Wednesday's double-overtime loss to Phoenix, Nowitzki took the ball to the basket in the fourth quarter against the Celtics."

Usually Garcia isn't quite as stupid as Sefko (my current theory is that those two are really just one person--Garcia writes his article for the Star-Telegram and then dumbs down the article a little for the DMN--thus collecting two salaries), but this comment is idiotic. Dirk didn't have time to do anything but pull up and shoot against Phoenix.
I hate to say it, but I agree with Garcia on that statement. I was totally upset that Dirk decided to fadeaway on that last second shot. It was not only a fadaway, but it looked like a bail out fadaway shot, because he did it when he did not have to.

I honestly feel that Dirk made that decision based on the fact that he was still thinking about the missed free throw that allowed Nash to send the game in overtime. I seriously think he did not want to go back on the line for 2 free throws with no time on the clock. If Dirk had drove the lane a bit more, he would have gotten fouled I promise. Then, it would have been up to him to hit both free throws to send the game into a 3rd overtime.

I think this sequence played over and over again in his mind that night, and not only was the missed free throw on his mind, but the decision he made to not drive the ball to get to the line to redeem himself was heavy on his mind as well.

I am not questioning Dirk as a MVP, but I am questioning his decision making on that one play at the end. Forget the missed free throw, because that mistake only caused us to go into overtime. The mistake to not drive to get fouled could have been the final contributor to the loss???? JMVHO...
Old 03-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #50
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to fault a guy who shoots so well for not taking a 14 footer, but damn he really needs to change that mindset in close games. He was open to get into the lane but chose not to.

then the missed shot resulted in two ft's when he fouled nash on the loose ball. Just a foul would have probably clinched that one.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-18-2007 at 11:14 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #51
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

There was also a point late in the 4th quarter of the Phoenix game, I believe when the lead was either 5 or 7 for the Mavs, where they got the ball on a steal, and Dirk had a WIDE open lane to the basket, but took about a 19 foot jumper from the left side between the wing and the corner. There was no one.. literally no one between him and the basket. There may have only been two Suns even on that half of the court, at most.

I think it was one of those things where he'd been shooting well late in the game, got the ball in rhythm, and felt that it was going to be a dagger shot. It would have been, had he made it. But again... you've got to go TO the basket until someone stops you.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #52
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
I hate to say it, but I agree with Garcia on that statement. I was totally upset that Dirk decided to fadeaway on that last second shot. It was not only a fadaway, but it looked like a bail out fadaway shot, because he did it when he did not have to.

I honestly feel that Dirk made that decision based on the fact that he was still thinking about the missed free throw that allowed Nash to send the game in overtime. I seriously think he did not want to go back on the line for 2 free throws with no time on the clock. If Dirk had drove the lane a bit more, he would have gotten fouled I promise. Then, it would have been up to him to hit both free throws to send the game into a 3rd overtime.

I think this sequence played over and over again in his mind that night, and not only was the missed free throw on his mind, but the decision he made to not drive the ball to get to the line to redeem himself was heavy on his mind as well.

I am not questioning Dirk as a MVP, but I am questioning his decision making on that one play at the end. Forget the missed free throw, because that mistake only caused us to go into overtime. The mistake to not drive to get fouled could have been the final contributor to the loss???? JMVHO...
I don't think Dirk was concerned about missing another free throw in crunch time. Quite the opposite. I think that Dirk gets frustrated with the lack of calls when there IS contact. He might have been thinking that it was unlikely a foul would be called so why not try to avoid contact altogether and get off a clean shot at the basket. It might be the case that Dirk gets a little more worried about the things he can't control (no call), rather than those things he can control (making his free throws). I am not trying to defend his decision-making because I agree he would be better off putting pressure on the ref to blow the whistle. In fact sometimes I think that his frustration with the officiating is a weakness in his game. I have seen him get angry with the officials too many times with the game on the line.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #53
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk doesn't finish very well. I don't know if it's a mindset or what but he doesn't go nearly as strong to the hoop as he should. IF he did he'd get even more calls (and of course make more of them) but he doesn't.

I'm not sure if it's his lack of hops, unwillingness to come down on someone's foot or what, but he'll lay it up much more than try to slam it.

In his mind a wide open shot might be as good as a weak attempt at the hoop, but he's wrong. Avery continues to preach it but it's one part of his game that has not developed.

Maybe it's the lack of caring if he's on sportscenter or not. If he was enamored with seeing himself slam the ball on tv he might do it, but he just doesn't care at all. Certainly with US players it's the ultimate making a big slam, but dirk really doesn't seem to give a flip.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #54
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
I don't think Dirk was concerned about missing another free throw in crunch time. Quite the opposite. I think that Dirk gets frustrated with the lack of calls when there IS contact. He might have been thinking that it was unlikely a foul would be called so why not try to avoid contact altogether and get off a clean shot at the basket. It might be the case that Dirk gets a little more worried about the things he can't control (no call), rather than those things he can control (making his free throws). I am not trying to defend his decision-making because I agree he would be better off putting pressure on the ref to blow the whistle. In fact sometimes I think that his frustration with the officiating is a weakness in his game. I have seen him get angry with the officials too many times with the game on the line.
I can respect that, but when it comes to the NBA, you have to look for contact in crunch time like that. You have to force the refs to make a call. Not to compare Dirk with Kobe or Wade, but I can guarantee both of those players would have went to the hole to force a call, then went to the free throw line to tie it up. I truly think that Dirk is on a mental block with his his free throws late. Just look tonight at what he did late in the game with that missed free throw. I am telling you, this is on his mind. I watched Dirk closely at the end of the game to see if he wanted the ball so that he can go to the free throw line. Dirk did not make an effort to make sure he got the ball at the end. Stack and Terry stepped up and wanted the ball. Dirk wanted it at the end as well, but it was to take that fadaway jumper that sealed the game.

Dirk is mentally challenged right now with free throws in crunchtime. I think the same thing happened to Rip tonight as well. I will check to see how Rip does in the near future, because his missed free throws cost the Pistons the game.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #55
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Silk, I have to admit you are right about this afternoon's game. Dirk came to get the ball on the one possession (he got fouled.. made one of two), and on the next Mavs possession he seemed to run away from the in-bounds pass and JET came forward asking for the ball. I hated to see that, but I believe it is an accurate rendition of what happened. Let's hope some practice with his FT shooting gets him over this.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #56
dude1394
Guru

I didn't have it taped. Did he actually run away or did you just perceive that he didn't try hard enough? Jason was completely wide open, how many folks were covering dirk on that inbounds pass?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #57
purplefrog
Platinum Member

I probably shouldn't have used the phrase "running away". I don't have it taped either, but what I think I saw was that Dirk turned his back to the inbounding passer rather than coming forward to get the pass like he did on the previous play. The pass didn't seem like it came to JET immediately so it was noticeable. I was concentrating on Dirk because after he missed the one ft, I was hoping he would make an aggressive move to get the ball a second time so he could get back to the ft line and redeem himself. I can't recall if he had one or two guys guarding him. But I cringed when I saw he made no effort to get it back. Glad JET came through, but I was a bit disappointed it wasn't Dirk.

Last edited by purplefrog; 03-19-2007 at 12:53 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #58
dude1394
Guru

Hey purple are we talking about the pistons game today? Just realized this is in the celtics post-game.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #59
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Yeah, this was the Pistons game.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #60
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
I probably shouldn't have used the phrase "running away". I don't have it taped either, but what I think I saw was that Dirk turned his back to the inbounding passer rather than coming forward to get the pass like he did on the previous play. The pass didn't seem like it came to JET immediately so it was noticeable. I was concentrating on Dirk because after he missed the one ft, I was hoping he would make an aggressive move to get the ball a second time so he could get back to the ft line and redeem himself. I can't recall if he had one or two guys guarding him. But I cringed when I saw he made no effort to get it back. Glad JET came through, but I was a bit disappointed it wasn't Dirk.
I was glued on Dirk to see his effort to want the ball during the out of bounds play. To me, Dirk made no effort to get that ball. I too was hoping Dirk wanted the ball more so that he can redeem himself again. Maybe I am just too hard on Dirk, but it is the little things that irk me about this situation. If it irks me, then I know for sure it irks AJ when looking at this free throw situations. I just think that Dirk wants to hide a bit right now down the stretch when it comes to shooting those free throws. This may sound crazy, but I really felt that last fadaway that he took that he hit, could have been a better shot if he wanted it to be. I know the time was running out, but it looked to me that Dirk was making sure he did not get fouled on that shot..JMVHO