Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #41
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

I still think Dirk will win it. He and the Mavs have had a great season.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #42
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Between all the make up votes from last year and this year's brilliant season, I really truly believe Dirk will win be the mp3.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #43
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
Between all the make up votes from last year and this year's brilliant season, I really truly believe Dirk will win be the mp3.
which one, exactly?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
which one, exactly?
This one.
http://www.dallasobserver.com/art/me...-courtside.mp3

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2006-0...le-secret/full
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-05-2007 at 05:06 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #45
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Maurice Brooks still likes Dirk
SECAUCUS, N.J., April 3, 2007 -- No, Sunday's game between the two best teams in the NBA didn't live up to the hype. Then again, how could it?
After playing one of the most entertaining basketball games in years that didn't feature a player from the AND1 Mixtape Tour on March 14, the sequel was a let down on par with every Rocky film after the original.

Sure, the Suns and Mavericks put on a performance that made you glad to be a couch potato, but at no point did the game reach instant classic level.

The contest was supposed to decide whether Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki won his first MVP or Phoenix's Steve Nash captured his third.

But instead of swinging the momentum in favor of Nowitzki or Nash, the game did little, if anything, to change the outcome in the Race to the MVP.

Nowitzki, who sprained his ankle against the Bucks last Wednesday, struggled with his shot all afternoon, finishing with 21 points on just 6-of-18 shooting as his Mavericks fell 126-104 on the road.

Just like the last time the two teams squared off, Nash won the statistical battle over Nowitzki. He scored 23 and handed out 11 dimes.

Although his numbers are impressive, they aren't much different than his season averages of 19 points and 11.5 assists.

Line of the Week
Kobe Bryant, Lakers
vs. Rockets, March 30
53 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists
19-for-44 FG, 12-for-14 FT

Nash was arguably the MVP favorite after his 32-point, 16-assist, 8-rebound masterpiece in Phoenix's 129-127 double-overtime win almost three weeks ago.

But the Suns lost focus. They followed that impressive victory with back-to-back losses. Phoenix, which split the season series against Dallas at two wins each, is just 5-4 in its last nine games.

Also, despite the April 1 loss, the Mavericks still have a six-game lead over the Suns in the standings. And that is because of the play of Nowitzki. Instead of hanging his head after the two-point loss in Dallas, Nowitzki powered the Mavericks to nine consecutive victories.

For proof of Nowitzki's worth, check the efficiency ratings where he is third in the league. Minnesota's Kevin Garnett is the leader and Miami's Dwyane Wade, who has missed the last third of the season, is second. Nash ranks 13th.

Although Nash will get more than his share of MVP votes, with three weeks remaining in the season, my mythical vote still goes to Nowitzki.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #46
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
which one, exactly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIL-JSQX-9s
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 AM   #47
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
freakin genius.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #48
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Nash's line from last night: 4 rebounds, 7 assists, turovers 6, points 20. His turnovers out numbered his assists. He looked anything but the MVP last night, and this was considered a huge game (just like the Mav game), so Nash can be off his game in these crucial situations. Media, take note.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #49
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas
Steve Nash's line from last night: 4 rebounds, 7 assists, turovers 6, points 20. His turnovers out numbered his assists. He looked anything but the MVP last night, and this was considered a huge game (just like the Mav game), so Nash can be off his game in these crucial situations. Media, take note.
You will likely see surprisingly little discourse about little Stevie's boo-boos. I'm telling you, the media has a double standard for Nash and Nowitzki.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #50
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

If Dirk doesn't get the MVP this year I am boycotting the MVP award forever.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #51
left texas
Golden Member

YAY Sports
They’re Gr-r-reat!! NBA Awards Time
Published by Jack Cobra April 6th, 2007 in NBA
(The Cavalier is on an extended leave of absence. He did not write this, however he wrote me a strongly worded email about my continued use of cereal slogan use.)

It’s that time of the year again kids where NBA players get trophies that they can sell later in life to pay for their medication because they’ve squandered all their money (long sentence, eh?). This year the awards are pretty easy to figure out but I’ve thrown some interesting selections in there. Following are my choices for the top NBA Awards……

Most Valuable Player - Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks - He’s led the Mavs to the best record in the NBA while averaging 25 points and 9 rebounds a game. This is his year to win the MVP. If the Mavs don’t win the title (which they won’t), he’ll be hard pressed to win the MVP again.

Coach of the Year - Mike Brown (changed to) Avery Johnson, Dallas Mavericks - Johnson wins this for his sustained excellence throughout the regular season. After their NBA Finals debacle last season I wondered how the Mavs would respond this season and they have been firing on all cylinders all season.

Rookie of the Year - Brandon Roy, Portland Trail Blazers - Roy has been averaging nearly 19 points and 5 assists since the All-Star Break and that’s enough to win this award since the foreign guy went Splat! and Mr. Moooostache never showed up.

Defensive Player of the Year - n/a - I don’t believe in this award because it’s the NBA. Too many players coast through games and there are too many games where defense is unheard of. I’ll give a team defense award to the San Antonio Spurs if I must fill out this column.

Most Improved Player - Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks - He’s averaging 16 points, almost 9 rebounds, over 3 blocks and 1.5 steals per game this season…….all of these have increased from last season. On top of that he’s become a focal point for the Atlanta offense and (cough, cough) defense.

Sixth Man of the Year - Leandro Barbosa, Phoenix Suns - He would be starting every night on most every team in the NBA and he has a cool sounding name. That’s enough for me.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #52
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When was that done. Must have been before the start of the season, steve's hair is longer than I've ever seen it there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #53
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

From CBS: http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10096097
Quote:
Season Awards: Stop the debate -- Dirk is top dog
March 29, 2007
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer
Tell Tony your opinion!

Can't tell you how many debates I got into on the road over the past few weekends. I heard Democrats discussing the worthiness of top candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, people ramble about the father of Anna Nicole Smith's kid, and of course, Greg Oden or Kevin Durant, Joakim Noah or Al Horford, and the merits of everyone rumored to become Kentucky's next head coach.

Dirk Nowitzki is Tony Mejia's pick for MVP. Even Steve Nash agrees. (AP)

In the NBA, Kobe Bryant's run has people talking about how he deserves consideration for MVP, and the Rookie of the Year debate is being spurred on by Portland's consistent campaigning for Brandon Roy. Word has come down that 250 Brandon Roy Leatherman multi-tools will be mailed out to voters. Those clever devils are getting at the all-around skills angle.

Roy: "And I thought having my own bobblehead was cool."
Memphis is helping push Rudy Gay's late charge with a campaign with brochures made to look like airline tickets. They're getting at the high-flyer angle. It might work better if they sent actual airline tickets.

Creative pamphlets and neat tools aren't going to sway minds, because most should already be made up by now. We don't vote on the best player for MVP, but rather the most valuable. Is there any room for late pushes in this era where "body of work" seems to be the new criteria for awards? The NBA is an 82-game marathon. Everyone has had an opportunity to play and coach 70 games. My mind is made up.
Here are this season's NBA awards:

MVP

Dirk Nowitzki limped off on Wednesday night against the Bucks, and his Mavericks still found a way to win their 60th game without him. That they're still in the mix for 70 wins is all on the big German, though, because he's consistently been the best player on the floor this season, even if he has had moments he'd like to have back.

Videotaped misses in clutch situations could be Steve Nash's ammunition if he really, really wants to win his third MVP in a row, but smear campaigns are not his style, and even he's gone on record that his good buddy deserves the award.

If Nowitzki were to retaliate, he would simply have to send voters the names of Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird. That's the company Nash would enter if his fabulous season was deemed worthy. Since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan failed to join that exclusive club, there is sentiment out there that Nash shouldn't either.

Bryant and LeBron James will get token votes, but this is a two-man race that Nowitzki will ultimately win.

All-NBA Teams

First LeBron James, Cleveland
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
Tim Duncan, San Antonio
Steve Nash, Phoenix
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers

Second
Carlos Boozer, Utah
Chris Bosh, Toronto
Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix
Gilbert Arenas, Washington
Tracy McGrady, Houston

Third
Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
Dwight Howard, Orlando
Yao Ming, Houston
Jason Kidd, New Jersey
Dwyane Wade, Miami

All-Rookie Teams

First
Brandon Roy, Portland
Rudy Gay, Memphis
Andrea Bargnani, Toronto
Randy Foye, Minnesota
Adam Morrison, Charlotte

Second
Paul Millsap, Utah
LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland
Jorge Garbajosa, Toronto
Marcus Williams, New Jersey
Tyrus Thomas, Chicago

All-Defensive Teams

First
F Josh Smith
F Kevin Garnett
C Marcus Camby
G Kobe Bryant
F/G Bruce Bowen

Second
F Emeka Okafor
F Jermaine O'Neal
C Tyson Chandler
G Jason Kidd
F Tayshaun Prince

(Rest of the article, see link at the top!)

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #54
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I like Dirk for Mvp and yes Nash has had a great year also but i feel Dirk has and the number one finish is saving our butt because Phx and the Spurs face each other and then us. If Phx had finished number one they would have an outside shot going to the playoffs against the east. The Spurs are dangerous because they could be the 8th seed and still have a shot.

Dallas has the best shot getting out of the west if we play right. This is because of our great season, number one seed and Dirk is at the top of this. I feel Avery is coach of the year. My mvp is like 1. Dirk, 2. Nash, 3. Lebron. I have not gone and looked at Duncan's numbers in awhile but they have been on fire. Kobe is up their somewhere in the top 5 or so. I haven't looked at Boozer's numbers but Utah has had a great year and at one time Boozer had very good numbers. Detroit and Chicago play team ball and all of them are sort of mvp's as a team.

I like my top 3 mvp's and if someone says Kobe should be 3 or up there also, i won't argue that. Lebron has got his team in very good position and i like their win total and he has put up great numbers like Kobe. Dirk and Nash will finish one and two i feel but who get's one and let's hope it is finally Dirk. I just went over and looked at Lebron's, Kobe's, Boozer's and Duncan's numbers and all of them are strong and all have had a great year. If the Spurs had finished one, Duncan would have had a shot at MVP. He has slipped up on me and i didn't know he was having this good of a season.

The Bulls and Cavs are tied. That could be very imporatant on who finishes ahead of the other.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #55
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

From The New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/08/sp...=1&oref=slogin
Quote:
“If you’re going to put Kobe in there, it’s not who’s most valuable to their team,” McGrady said. “He is the best player in the league, no doubt. But to me, the M.V.P. is about the overall contributions to the team and what the team has done.”

Reporters and broadcasters who cover the N.B.A. vote for the postseason awards; The New York Times does not participate. If McGrady had a ballot, he said: “I’d vote for Dirk Nowitzki. What his team has done this year and how he’s played, it’s his time.”
And it´s not only the time for Dirk, it´s also time for the Mavs. I like T-Mac´s statement.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 04-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #56
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

T-Mac's always been a cool cat.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #57
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
T-Mac's always been a cool cat.
Is T-Mac a closet Mavs fan? He's always seems to be backing us (MVP vote, reffing in the Finals, etc.)

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Is T-Mac a closet Mavs fan? He's always seems to be backing us (MVP vote, reffing in the Finals, etc.)

Nope, he's just a very observant fellow...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #59
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think he also said that whatever makes the Mavs look good also makes the Rockets look good because they took us to seven games.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #60
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nope... he's just a true fan of the NBA!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #61
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

ESPN just did it today? First in cold pizza they were arguing how Nash is going to be perceived as a 3 time MVP. Now in their website they have two articles. The first by the brainless Scoop Jackson, who says "Steve Nash basically won the MVP award Sunday. But that's not the issue. The question now has become: Does he deserve it?" And then Jemele Hill, yes the one that argued that Kobe is better than MJ, says Dirk's case isn't very convincing. First I have no idea why ESPN hires these people to write about things they know very little. Second, Hill is ruining decades of good work by women in the sports with her work. She L O V E S Kobe, and makes it clear again. I think she is pissed it wasn't her in Colorado.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #62
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Last edited by mcsluggo; 04-09-2007 at 03:10 PM.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #63
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Here the article from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=hill/070409

Nowitzki or Nash? Dirk's case needs evidence

By Jemele Hill
Page 2

Two weeks left in the NBA season. Do you know who your NBA MVP is?

Me, I'm still not sure. Like many of my other media colleagues, I'm trying to follow the memo that this is Dirk Nowitzki's MVP to lose. Only I need some convincing.

When I hear people say that Dirk has the MVP wrapped up, it makes me think the NBA MVP race has become just as political and illogical as the Academy Awards. No one can agree on the true criteria of the award. People are sometimes rewarded for years of service rather than what they just accomplished.

Tracy McGrady had this to say about the MVP to the New York Times: "If you're going to put Kobe in there, it's not who's most valuable to their team. He is the best player in the league, no doubt. But to me, the MVP is about the overall contributions to the team and what the team has done."
Really.

"I think the MVP is an individual award and shouldn't be judged so much on team success," said Orlando Magic shooting guard Keyon Dooling. "Team awards are championships."

OK, so not even the players can decide what makes an NBA MVP. But most of us know one when we see one.

Dirk's numbers certainly justify him being MVP. He's shooting 50 percent from the field, averaging 24.7 a game, nine rebounds and a career-high 3.4 assists. These aren't the best numbers of Dirk's career, but Dallas was the most dominant team of the regular season and Dirk contributed greatly to the Mavs' success.

(Totally irrelevant, but hilarious side note: In the 1998 NBA Draft, the Bucks traded Nowitzki to Dallas for Robert "Tractor" Traylor, who is now facing 14 months prison time for a tax crime. That has got to be in the top five with a bullet for worst NBA trades of all time. Back to the column.)

If Dirk supporters want to do a better job of convincing people Dirk is the MVP, here are a few arguments that need to be abandoned:

The MVP should go to the best player on the best team.

Generally, I believe this. In the last 25 years, the MVPs have come from teams that have won 50 games or more. But you can't use that as absolute criteria. The Pistons had the best regular-season record in the NBA last year, but voters were correct in not awarding Chauncey Billups the MVP. You couldn't look at the Pistons and discern if Billups really was the most important piece, proving that the best player isn't always on the best team.

This year's Mavericks team poses a similar problem. No question Dirk is a superstar, but is he the real reason the Mavericks have shrugged off last year's NBA Finals meltdown? Or does that credit belong to coach Avery Johnson?

Steve Nash won his second MVP, in part, because he elevated the Suns to an elite team. His impact was obvious. But at the same time, it's not fair to eliminate Kobe Bryant because the Lakers are only a 6 or 7 seed. Kobe has the least talented teammates to work with of the MVP candidates and that his team is even in the playoffs is a miracle. Besides, most NBA players regard Kobe as the best player in the league and that should mean something, too. Team success is an important component, but it can't be the entire equation.

"From year to year the criteria for MVP changes," Grant Hill said. "Sometimes it's the best player. Sometimes it's the most valuable player to that team. I think Dirk and Kobe have separated themselves, but I think it'll probably go to Dirk."

• The sympathy vote: Steve Nash has won enough MVPs. Give Dirk a chance! Seriously, is this professional sports? Do we care about who is winning too much or too little? You either earn the MVP or you don't. It was this thinking that led to Karl Malone picking up two unnecessary MVPs. Malone was never going to beat Jordan for a title so his MVPs were consolation gifts. Something tells me, Kobe is never going to get that as a consolation prize.

Give Nash a third and you put him in the same company as Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird. Sounds just like when people were arguing that Russell Crowe shouldn't win an Oscar for "A Beautiful Mind" since (A) he'd already won one for "Gladiator" and (B) he's Australian and you can't keep rewarding the foreigner.

Never mind that Wilt, Russell and Bird's legacies are all entrenched. Nash isn't going to challenge those three, whether he wins another MVP or not.

Besides, of any season, this is Nash's most convincing case for MVP. The Suns don't have the best record but Nash is playing at the highest level of his career. He is averaging career bests in field-goal percentage, 3-point shooting and assists.

And in head-to-head matchups in the last month with Dirk, Nash schooled Dirk on closing out close games and then the Mavericks got blasted when they visited the Suns on April 1st. While some of you think it's unfair to judge a MVP race based on a couple games, realize that no matter the sport, games late in the season matter more. This was Dirk's opportunity to win the MVP without a seed of doubt, and all he did was remind us that he's still the same guy who couldn't finish off the Heat in the Finals.

Steve Nash hasn't even won a championship and he's going to get three MVPs? Winning a championship is not a requirement for a MVP. Yeah, I know I just killed Malone above, but he won two MVPs and didn't win a title. Allen Iverson and Kevin Garnett also have MVPs, but no titles. Sure, Iverson and Malone made it to the NBA Finals, but this is a REGULAR-SEASON award.

Irrational arguments, the kind the Academy favors, don't belong in the MVP race. If Dirk supporters want to present a solid case, bring up the fact that Nash's defense is a step above atrocious, a trait no other MVP had. Bring up the fact that a MVP is a player who should be feared, not one purposely attacked in tight games because he can't defend. Bring up that everybody from Smush Parker to Flip Murray has annihilated Nash. That's an argument that will get me on your side.

Jemele Hill, a Page 2 columnist and writer for ESPN The Magazine, can be reached at jemeleespn@gmail.com.

"Talk to the claw."